PDA

View Full Version : Pillowcases?

Azhtabak
August 9th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I've seen a few mentions around here to people using silk/satin pillowcases.

I'm wondering what these are for? I've gathered there's some kind of general benefit to hair care, but am unsure as to specifically what/why? I tend to have quite bad hair in mornings, and was wondering whether they would be any use? :confused:

Sorry for the rather rambling post <_> Hopefully it kind of makes sense though?

bumblebums
August 9th, 2010, 07:37 AM
If you look at your individual hairs under a microscope, they are covered in little scales. The scales get roughed up by low thread count fabrics. The smoother the pillow, the less it teases your hair.

I've found that satin pillowcases are kinder on my facial skin, too. I don't get "pillow scars" anymore.

maxzeen
August 9th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Silk or satin pillowcases are wonderful for your hair. I used to wake up with horrible hair in the morning when I used cotton pillow cases. When I switched to a silk pillowcase, my hair is much smoother and soft in the morning. Cotton tends absorb any oil in your hair making it feel dry. http://www.dharmatrading.com/ carries silk pillowcases for a good price.

pepperminttea
August 9th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I switched to silk pillowcases a few months ago, I found a good quality pack of two for about &#163;20 on eBay and thought I'd give it a go. I braid my hair at night, so big tangles are avoided, but the scalp hairs still tangled themselves on cotton pillowcases. I could never get a hairstyle to last through the night, and the braids themselves would become very fluffy, very quickly - one of the joys of old half-grown-out layers and fine-ish, fly-away strands. :rolleyes: With silk pillowcases, I get far few scalp tangles, and I can make a French braid last more than one day occasionally, too. They were difficult to get used to at first, I've never had anything except cotton bedding, and indeed, apart from the pillowcases, everything I use is still cotton. It was strange to sleep on something with so much 'slip' to it, but it really has made quite a difference to the mornings for me.

Azhtabak
August 9th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Does anyone know somewhere in the UK that sells them?

Garnetgem
January 23rd, 2016, 03:15 AM
I use cotton ones in summer and flannelette in winter,anyone here use the silky ones? are they any good? i have never tried them...

lapis_lazuli
January 23rd, 2016, 10:23 PM
I believe my pillowcases are cotton... can't get my hands on silk or satin ones for the moment.

kaeide
January 23rd, 2016, 10:29 PM
I have a silk pillowcase. I really like it, but I also love the feeling of silk.
But I've noticed my hair that falls out of my bun doesn't get nearly as tangled as it used to, and my hair is more manageable in the morning.

Nadine <3
January 23rd, 2016, 10:32 PM
I have silk pillowcases. I HATE them in the winter though! I switched to flannel and they're much warmer and I have not noticed a difference in my hair.

Dessi
January 23rd, 2016, 10:35 PM
I usually use Satin pillowcases. Work very well for me! :)

Beatrixity
January 23rd, 2016, 10:43 PM
I got a silk pillowcase for Christmas and have been using it since. I can't say if it has really helped my hair or not, but I love the feeling of silk. It's so slippery that the first time I used the pillowcase I woke up and my head had slipped off the pillow!

lapis_lazuli
January 24th, 2016, 02:23 AM
I used a bamboo pillow for a while... would recommend it, it's very comfy :o

Garnetgem
January 24th, 2016, 04:32 AM

Never heard of such a pillow and i cannot picture it i have tried believe me!

Garnetgem
January 24th, 2016, 04:35 AM
I got a silk pillowcase for Christmas and have been using it since. I can't say if it has really helped my hair or not, but I love the feeling of silk. It's so slippery that the first time I used the pillowcase I woke up and my head had slipped off the pillow!

Slippy sleeping sounds dangerous lol i mean slipping off a pillow!

lapushka
January 24th, 2016, 07:42 AM
I have cotton / polyester blends (those are nice and soft too), and a few microfiber ones (they are amazingly soft). It's been a while since I had a cotton pillowcase on.

Garnetgem
January 24th, 2016, 08:05 AM
I have started to use 100% Egyptian cotton they are so soft without being slippy,i highly recommend...

Olavi
January 24th, 2016, 09:36 AM
I have some silk satin fabric waiting on being made into pillow cases and/or night cap, but I'm lazy on that project, so I'm currently using basic cotton pillow cases.

A note as I have noticed else where that not everyone knows: Satin is weave and silk is material, which is made from cocoons of silk moths' larvae. Most fabrics sold as satin are actually polyester. I have understood polyester satin is better than basic cotton, but silk satin is the best one, both for hair and skin.

lapis_lazuli
January 24th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Welp, as soon as I get the chance I'll be buying some silk satin cases :) Can't stand the cotton ones anymore...

gustavonut
January 24th, 2016, 12:17 PM
I have a satin pillowcase from Kmart, I'm not sure if it helps anything but I like a nice cool pillow at night ;)

Gaalsong
January 25th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Everybody has described the benefits to your hair, so I'll just add--silk pillowcases feel great and are luxurious! My daughter and I got one each and now we can hardly sleep on anything else. We even take them with us when we go camping. :D

sanari
January 25th, 2016, 09:57 AM
I will search Amazon and buy one immediately. I used to have a silk pillowcase but I lusted during a move. I must replace it as soon as possible.

locddreamz
January 25th, 2016, 09:57 AM
I can't live without mine. I have type 4 hair which dries out very quickly. I used to tie it up at night with a satin scarf but that's not always ideal, so that why I got a satin pillowcase.
Regular cotton pillowcases suck the moisture out of my hair and makes it feel hard and dry in the morning, especially if my scarf slipped off. I don't have that problem anymore since I got a satin pillowcase.
I actually need to get it in more colors though because all Walmart had was a bright reddish color, and my bedspread set is purple...

BoopAllCats
January 25th, 2016, 10:53 AM
I got a silk one a couple of weeks ago, and I can't imagine going back to a cotton one. I'm actually planning to order more of them ... :)

Nadine <3
January 25th, 2016, 11:47 AM

My pillow is shredded memory foam with a bamboo cover. It is really soft, but I've always slept with a pillow protector and a case on it.

llamacat
February 1st, 2016, 07:32 AM
I don't want to buy silk pillow cases for the moment, so I warp a large silk scarf on my pillow and it works wonder on my hair!

Obsidian
February 1st, 2016, 09:37 AM
Since I have short curly hair, it tends to completly tangle at night. I never thought about fabric being the cause until I came here. A couple months ago I spotted satin pillow cases at the dollar store and picked some up. Of course they are crappy quality and the seams come apart after a few washes but it was a great chance to try them without spending much.
The difference in my hair is astonishing. No more big dry tangles that stick up everywhere. Now I have soft, silky hair that sticks up everywhere with just a bit of tangle in the curliest areas that I can brush through with my fingers.
I have satin waiting to be made into cases but I hate sewing and keep putting it off. Need to do it soon though, my last one from the $ store is falling apart.

SaraJayne
February 1st, 2016, 02:27 PM

Does anyone know somewhere in the UK that sells them?

I ordered a pair of Luxelu ones yesterday from Amazon UK and got them today on Prime. I haven't slept on them yet but they are great quality, good size and have concealed zips and cotton backs to reduce sliding around. You can get singles, I think they were about £12.99. I'm really looking forward to trying it out tonight!

Agnieszka
February 1st, 2016, 03:19 PM
I'm totally addicted to my silk pillowcase. Just love the feeling of it, but I didn't like it right away at first. It was kind of slippery and cool. But I got used to it so much I dislike to use cotton anymore. I bought mine of amazon uk, Jasmine silk or something like this, supposed to be 100% real silk. I think it was around £15-£20.

meteor
February 1st, 2016, 03:28 PM
I don't want to buy silk pillow cases for the moment, so I warp a large silk scarf on my pillow and it works wonder on my hair!

That's what I like to do, too. :D Easier to replace, wash and cheaper. In a pinch, anything silky smooth will do. ;)

I always notice a difference (more dryness and less smooth hair), if I sleep on cotton again.