PDA

View Full Version : Chin length bangs?

Charlotte:)
August 9th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I used to have bangs, and now they are almost grown out. The only problem is that my face looks really weird when I pull my hair back into a ponytail or bun because my face shape is a bit long. I really liked it when my bangs were growing out and they were about chin length, because they were long enough to be put into updos when I didn't want bangs and short enough to keep out of a ponytail which looks better on me. I'm thinking about cutting them this length again, but I'm not sure it would look good now that I no longer have layers. What are your thoughts?

P.S. I hope this made sense; I'm not very good at explaining things:p

Barniie
August 9th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Hahaha mine are about lip-length now - I want them a teensy bit longer - I'm in the same boat as you!

HuggyBear
August 9th, 2010, 01:16 AM
My face is kinda long, too and I really need those face framing layers. I had bangs cut last year and hated them. They are just now at chin length and I really like them now so I am going to keep them at this length.

DanielleRenae
August 9th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I have chin-length bangs and the rest of my hair is one length, although that will change soon. I have a round face and the bangs are very slimming. Like you said, chin-length bangs are very versatile, so go for it! And if you don't like them, they will grow out again.

Charlotte:)
August 9th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention that I would most likely be cutting them myself. Couldn't I just twist the section of hair that I want to be my bangs and just chop (the same way one would do a self trim, I mean)?

Kathie
August 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I'm growing mine out to chin length too.The shortest bit is just around my mouth at the moment.
As far as cutting your own bangs goes, I'm not sure what you mean by twisting then cutting :confused: But what ever you chose to do I recomend that take your time and do small portions of hair at a time.

Good luck!

Jenn of Pence
August 9th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Surely you can cut them yourself if you know what you want and are careful. I remember seeing a thread about cutting side bangs like this...if I can find it, I'll post the link.
I'm also growing my bangs out; they are well past chin now. I liked them and wore them sideswept, but they are hard to keep styled without heat. I do appreciate having something around my face for updos as well. However, my major complaint is that they are too thick; seriously, I've tried to measure their circumference, and it's pretty close to an inch around! When I was keeping bangs and had them trimmed once, the stylist chopped a huge chunk of hair short...really an amazingly large chunk! I was very upset and decided that I just needed to grow them out for the sake of sanity. ;) When the whole mass is sufficiently long, I may trim a much smaller amount back to chin and let the rest finally grow out.

Azhtabak
August 9th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Mine are a similar length also - long enough to get in the way, but still too short to be put up and out of the way :P

Juneii
August 9th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I have them kinda, it's the sides of my face. Since I cut my own bangs I got a little snippy happy and cut too much bangs and it made my long face fat (for once in its life). So I am growing the side bits out and they're at chin length. But growing at different speeds (or maybe it's my fault) and one side is longer than the other. I am not sure where to keep it at this point, maybe shorter or maybe longer.

LouLaLa
August 9th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Mine are this length too and I have just spent some time while watching tv sectioning them out and deciding if I want a fringe again :p

I like a fringe but when your hair is long its sooo hard to grow out. Im thinking I may set myself the challenge of no cuts till september and see if I still feel this is that I want to do.

The prblem is as much as I love them they need heat stying too look half good and my hair is so fine that i cant really afford to give up hair for a fringe that really needs to be contributing to the bulk of my length.

I thought about getting a clip in fringe so as to have the best of both worlds but my local extension shop only has basic strong colours and bottle blondes whereas mine is a very strange medium silvery ash blonde. maybe if you have a good solid colour you could get one though?

Let me know how it goes and good luck! If anyone has any ideas or advice id love to hear it!!!

Jenn of Pence
August 9th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Yay, I was able to find the thread on a similar subject:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35895

anthonyswife
August 9th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Perhaps mine are just too curly, I noticed yours is straight so it might look better on you. I've been growing mine out and right now, since they were tapered when originally cut, they're everywhere from chin-length to shoulder-length. I hate them so much! My hair is too silky for them to stay put when I put it up/back, they inevitably slip out and just hang and look horrible. I can't stand them in my face so I put them behind my ears and then I have these odd puffy wings under my earlobes.

That said, when done right they can look nice, and I'm sure having straight hair helps. And to answer about twisting and cutting them at an angle, that's exactly how my Mother always did mine when I was a kid. It's supposed to create a perfect layered cut.

BelleBot
August 9th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Chin length are the best length, mine have now hit shoulder so I'm deabting cutting them back to around chin length so I have the option of face framing bangs or pulling them back. They're a little too long now to leave out of an updo and just look silly at shoulder length.

I imagine twisting and cutting yourself should work fine. Though cut them long at first just to make sure you get the right shape, if you're happy with it, then cut again to the length you want the same way. :)

BlackVulture
August 9th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I must be the oddball here, I absolutely hated chin length bangs on my weird polygonal face. It's either no bangs, or short bangs, side bangs don't work either.
But I say, I do like the look on most other people. A more oblong face tends to be complimented the most.

ritza
August 13th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I like chin length bangs..That's how i have mine..

Happy Hair Growing!

RachelRain
August 13th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I love chin length bangs... but overall I dislike bangs pretty intensely (on me at least.)

I'm not sure how you'd cut them, but I don't think I've seen a single person who's had long bangs like that manage to look bad. They pretty much seem to suit everyone.

Henrietta
August 14th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Sure it would look good! You don't have to have layers to have bangs. And the most important thing is that you look great and feel comforable! :)

Capybara
August 14th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I think it would look good, too :) I have chin length bangs, and no layers, so I may be a bit biased ... but, IMO, they are much more versatile than shorter bangs! :D

JesusFreak88
August 14th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I have sholder length bang and I like them. I used to have layers but unless I styled my hair no one could tell. I have very fine hair, stick strait too. I like my bangs because they are the only part of my hair that isn't stick strait. They curve in so they go under my chin a little and fram my face that way. If they were any shorter I wouldn't be able to put them back in a pony, as it is they fall out.

Lunami
August 14th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I've been thinking of growing my bangs chin length but i always give in and cut them before they grow that long. I love my bangs but they need so much washing to look good.

Does anyone have a picture of themself with this lenght of bangs? I've never seen it and it would probably help with a better idea of how it could look! :)

goodenough
August 14th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I saw an "expert" on tv yesterday say something that actually made sense for once-lol. He said to do bangs or layers each fall, then let them grow all year. Then they will be grown out for summer (when it's a pain because they frizz or are just annoying.) For me, they MUST fit in a ponytail for summer:)

I have a long face, and I consider chin-length bangs a nice option.

Carolyn
August 14th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Why not give yourself a little longer to get used to yourself without bangs? I think sometimes a person has had bangs for years and then grows them out. All of a sudden the whole face is uncovered and it can be a shock. I think it takes a long time to get used to seeing your whole face with your hair pulled back in a pony or updo.

Heartwillfollow
August 14th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I've always had short bangs w/chin length hair, and wasn't sure how I was going to feel about growing them out. Felt my face would look strange . so I did a 30 day challenge of pinning my bangs back every day for a month.. It gave me a chance to get use to seeing my face without bangs, and I didn't think it was that awful after getting use to it. I am on a no trim for a year and my bangs are just pass my nose. I love that I don't have to fuss with my bangs like before they just lay flat now being longer. Before it was always those bad hair days where the shorter bangs didn't lay right, stuck out funny.. So far I like being able to pull them completely out of the way and not having to fuss with them and am getting use to seeing my face without them. Good luck :)

ArcticNights
August 14th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I have chin lenght bangs, and I relly love them! The way mine are cut, they layer around my face now. But I want my hair to grow out of this stage terminally.

irishlady
August 14th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Oh I think it'd look nice :) . I often had my hair like this when it was all one length, until the stupid hairstylist cut horrible layers that I didn't want into it lol, but that's another story...

Jessica Trapp
August 14th, 2010, 01:01 PM
The chin length bangs sound interesting. I tried having regular bangs once but my hair is so unruly that I found them too time consuming.

Does anyone have photos they would share or a website with pics?

:flower: jes

tanya222
August 14th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I've been growing out my bangs since last fall and they're about chin length now, maybe a tad longer. I love how they look, except when I'm eating and they fall forward into my mouth LOL then I have to tuck them behind my ear, and then they have a weird ear-shaped curl to them till the next time I wash my hair!

Question: I have quite a narrow forehead and a wide jaw, and everything I've read about bangs for narrow foreheads says I should have straight bangs cut right across at eyebrow length, to make my forehead look wider. But I've had that type of bangs since I was little! I'm tired of those. Is there a way I could have my chin-length bangs but part them or style them in a certain way so it doesn't make my already-narrow forehead look even narrower? They naturally part themselves off-centre, at my left forehead.

DuckyDot
August 23rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
I'm Growing my Bangs/Fringe out to Chin since I liked them at around that length, but then I got scissor happy and cut them WAY too short :(