PDA

View Full Version : Considering Layers

DanielleRenae
August 9th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I don't know if this is normal because it seems that most people try to grow their layers out and get rid of them, but I want some. My hair is ridiculously thick and is driving me crazy. It takes me at least an hour to fix it the way I want. Seeing as how I'm going to be a busy student in less than a month's time, this simply isn't acceptable.

I recently had ~4 inches cut off in an effort to relieve some annoyance. It helped a little in terms of weight, but it's still as difficult as ever to deal with. Yes, I can braid or bun it easily, but I love wearing my hair down (not so easy with my length). Maybe I'm just a semi-wild kid who wants to wear my hair free. Regardless, I'm thinking about getting three layers, keeping my length on the bottom layer and then getting the other two about 4 inches higher than the last. Does anybody have pictures of similar-looking layers on them? Or advice to share? It's either this or the hair is getting chopped off. I'm not that attached to it.

shawty
August 9th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I think Tessa has something to say on the matter (or did over a year ago haha):
http://www.youtube.com/user/meekakitty?feature=chclk#p/u/97/IoJj5Kt6Xf8

Also, she's just amazing. A former fashion model who makes vlogs which are kind of overly-self-aware and completely hilarious. So take a look!

Tomato
August 9th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I have very thick and hevy hair, too. So I am in a similar position as you and am considering some layer.
I think about some shorter strand around my face, because 1) weight reduction and 2) my face is square shaped so a few loose strands make me look & feel better.
If I decide not to go for layers, at least I will get a U- or V- shaped hemline.
I think these measures will reduce weight and volume.

Have a nice day!

DanielleRenae
August 9th, 2010, 12:52 AM

Also, she's just amazing. A former fashion model who makes vlogs which are kind of overly-self-aware and completely hilarious. So take a look!

I laughed SO hard. "I'm 18 years old and I have NEVER had layers. It's awesome. It's awesome. It's so free, so free I'm recording and my roommates are in the SAME room. Well not really, but the door is open. So, yeah!"

Her hair is beautiful, too.

And Tomato, my face is very round. For that reason, I only want long layers. I'm hoping it will have a slimming effect for my face while giving my hair more shape.

Gypsygirl
August 9th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I have thick, heavy hair and love my layers... I am sending you a friend request so you can look at my pix.

julliams
August 9th, 2010, 06:26 AM
When my hair was very long like yours (and mine is thick too) a hairdresser gave me some long layers but just at the front and I really liked it. I don't think she layered it around the back at that time so perhaps you could start like this and if you like it then get them around the back. If you are getting long layers the only thing that will be affected are things like braids and some buns.

UltraBella
August 9th, 2010, 08:36 AM
You can't just have three layers. The way you describe it, they would be like steps. Long layers are blended so you will have all kinds of different lengths from where the layers begin to the ends of your hair. I have layers and I love them. I also own two salons. You would totally confuse a hairstylist with your description of three layers and that sets you up for a bad experience or a style you didn't want. Layers can not be choppy or they are very very unflattering. You can ask for long blended layers and every stylist will know what you are referring to. That doesn't mean that each stylist is capable of creating them, so make sure you go to someone with experience.

UltraBella
August 9th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Here is a pic of my layers, just for your consideration......
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_0389.jpg

tinti
August 9th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I have the same problem, though my hair isn't even near your lenght. I have asked my mother plenty of times to cut layers because both she and sometimes I complain over my thick, thick massive hair, she couldn't even bun it when it was one lenght (but I could). And then I always regret afterwards. She allways gives me those short, thick layers at the top which ruins every bun I try to make because they are so chunky and falling out in thick, big pieces. So I definetly would stay away from those. You can see them in my avatar, poking out because I hate to style them and try to forget about them untilll they are more manageable. But longer, blended layers as UltraBella calls it is probably a good idea.

PhillyGirl1978@
August 9th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Here is a pic of my layers, just for your consideration......
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_0389.jpg

WOW...I love your hair! I intend to grow to around that length and I know I can't do it without getting some long layers...already I'm mostly one length and my top is going flat. I'm glad I am that I have been noticing all these threads about layers now, cause I really need them.

What if you're like me and have finer bits in the front, kinda like where your bangs would be if you had them. I mean this part is very fine and I couldn't get layers in that part cause it would be way too stringy!!! But I don't want it to just be long and all one length cause it is too flat....UGH!!

GoddesJourney
August 9th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Here's how I layered my hair. (http://howtobeawesomeforfree.blogspot.com/2010/07/layering-your-own-hair.html) I kept my length. I put in three layers in BSL hair and I find that the cutting above the head thing blends them in naturally. Try it.

PhillyGirl1978@
August 10th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I'd be terrified to try and do something as drastic as layers by myself. I do have a organic hair salon that I go to and I think I may make an appointment. I plan to have a nice long consultation part so I can tell her exactly what I'm thinking. I was looking at bang-type long pieces to deal with those fine font pieces, I can't layer them they'd be too stringy and the length makes them fall flat. Plus I do have some broke shorter pieces in that area (cause it tangles a lot) so they could all grow out together. So I figure the rest I'd just tell her to do in long blended layers, with a thick hemline and nothing shorter than a little below shoulder length...maybe that will work.

GoddesJourney
August 10th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I'd be terrified to try and do something as drastic as layers by myself. I do have a organic hair salon that I go to and I think I may make an appointment. I plan to have a nice long consultation part so I can tell her exactly what I'm thinking. I was looking at bang-type long pieces to deal with those fine font pieces, I can't layer them they'd be too stringy and the length makes them fall flat. Plus I do have some broke shorter pieces in that area (cause it tangles a lot) so they could all grow out together. So I figure the rest I'd just tell her to do in long blended layers, with a thick hemline and nothing shorter than a little below shoulder length...maybe that will work.

Since I cut mine above my head, it was easy to just wet the ends firt and let them fall. That gave me a pretty good idea of what my hair would look like with layers. It's easier to just imagine my hair without the wet part. No cutting required. I was pretty hesitant. It took me months to really decide on it.

Kome
August 10th, 2010, 01:47 PM

Hey, thanks! That was totally funny and amusing. I'm so going to subscribe to her. Haha. :)

PhillyGirl1978@
August 11th, 2010, 09:48 AM
well...I am going to the hair dresser next weekend, I needed a trim any how. I will have a talk with her and see what she thinks. I know that it has gotten more difficult to manage since growing my layers out. I think last time my layers weren't cut well, and my hair wasn't as long so I think just some long layers will look nice, but I'm still doing some research. Also I am looking at the "curly bangs" stuff to see if that is possible...long chin length pieces in front maybe to help me deal with the fine parts that drive me nuts!!!lol

spidermom
August 11th, 2010, 10:13 AM
My ex-roommate decided to cut 3 layers awhile back. She actually held the scissors parallel to the floor and made 3 separate cuts, and yes - as already mentioned - it looked like 3 steps. Really awful. She went to the hair stylist a couple of days later and got a bob at the shortest layer.

PhillyGirl1978@
August 11th, 2010, 10:23 AM
My ex-roommate decided to cut 3 layers awhile back. She actually held the scissors parallel to the floor and made 3 separate cuts, and yes - as already mentioned - it looked like 3 steps. Really awful. She went to the hair stylist a couple of days later and got a bob at the shortest layer.

Yeah...won't be doing that. This place is usually pretty good...I mean they are organic, I even got the CurlyGirl cut here once, they serve you tea with agave nectar and have incense burning. I love that place!!!lol When I called for the appt I told the chick about my hair and she gave me someone good with long curls. I'll basically just tell her that the shortest layer can be no shorter than below shoulder length and that I want my longest layer to stay relatively thick. Maybe it'll give me some more movement.

shawty
August 11th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I laughed SO hard.

Yeah, she's great!