PDA

View Full Version : Help please?

Alix
August 8th, 2010, 11:30 PM
First I apologize if this is the wrong place to put this thread or if there are articles answering my questions. (There probably are.) If there are could you direct me to them please; and I'll stop being a little nooblet and bothering all you beautiful long hair ladies.

Anyway, my hair looks like thissss. All natural and virgin
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/LoveFromPumpkin/Photoon2010-08-08at2141.jpg
And I love it, because I'm vain. It's APL I think? I want to grow it to WL. My questions are.

Is finger combing good for my hair?
I don't need a trim do I? My hair looks and feels healthy to me, but I don't know what I'm talking about.
I have long side fringe, and I rather like it, but I can't decide if I want to keep it or let it grow out. This was supposed to be a question, but I forgot where it was going.
Lastly and probably most importantly, I have a terribly dry scalp and use a conditioner that is frowned upon by most hair societies. So any recommendations?:D

Kaileida
August 8th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Your hair looks great. Keep doing what you're doing!
After all... if it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

GoddesJourney
August 8th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Well, if you like your hair and want it longer, grow it out. No need to trim until you start getting damage on the ends. Even then, some people just S&D to avoid trimming. If you like your fringe, keep it. Or, grow it out, decide you liked it, cut it again, get irritated with it, grow it out...

Tell us about your products and routine so that we might help you with your scalp issue. My first guess would be that you're using too harsh a shampoo or shampooing too frequently. My second guess would be that you aren't scrubbing your scalp enough when you wash it. My third guess would be that it's due to buildup from products that leave a residue. You said you use conditioner, the lack of which would have been my fourth guess.

Yozhik
August 8th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Very pretty hair!

My opinions to your questions are as follow:
1) if finger combing is working for you, keep to it. It can be gentler on the hair, and as long as you don't get big knots or anything, it should work fine as a detangling method :)
2) if you can't feel any damage, then you probably don't need a trim. In reality -- you get to decide whether you need one or not -- some people go for years without trimming. If your ends don't feel crispy and dry and if you don't have split ends, then you probably don't have a lot of damage. FWIW, it looks very healthy to me.
3) I love bangs! Good luck with deciding whether or not you want to keep them or grow them out :flower:
4) Have you tried the conditioner only hair washing method? I hear this method can really help people who are stripping a lot of the necessary oils from their heads. Also, does your shampoo/conditioner contain cones and/or SLS? For some people SLS is very harsh, and others find cones to be drying or masking damaged hair. I use the Sally's generic brand of Matrix Biolage as a conditioner, and shampoo soap. I also have some organic pomagranate shampoo that I sometimes use. Sorry not to be more of a help -- I'm sure someone will come along and point you in the right direction!

Alix
August 8th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I alternate between head and shoulders, suave and aveda's brilliant shampoo.
I use pantene conditioner.

I do only shampoo and massage my scalp, I'm probably shampooing to often, my hair doesn't get oily till day three, I should stop shampooing everyday shouldn't I?

I do use cones, but it's not my hair that is dry, my hair is nice and soft, my actual scalp is dry. Do cones do that too?

christine1989
August 9th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Your hair looks great and the ends don't look like they need to be trimmed at all but to be sure you should go through and look for splits (cutting any out if you see them). If your hair is iii then finger combing may not be very effective so I would reccomend a wide tooth comb to keep tangles out. As for your dry scalp, oil is really good for dryness as well as for keeping hair moisturized and the ends from getting crunchy. I like coconut oil for my ends and castor oil is good to keep your scalp from getting dry. If you haven't already you could try using shampoo with no SLS (since it can dry out scalp and hair).

Best of luck growing your lovely hair!

Monsterkitti
August 9th, 2010, 01:16 AM
1- I like finger combing, I find it gentler, really if its working for you stick with it :)

2- Your hair is looking really lovely and certainly doesnt look like it needs a trim to me :)

3- If you like the fringe keep it :)

4- I personally found head a shoulders too harsh for my scalp, it was drying it out so maybe try something a bit gentler if your having scalp issues?
Some people have success avoiding SLS and cones but its not a rule, might be worth you exploring though.
Im using faith in natures ranges at the moment but there are plenty of good brands around, what works for you might not be what works for others so experiment! :)

I'd avoid washing every day if you dont think you need to, see how it goes stretching time between washes maybe?

I'd be more inclined to think washing daily and harsh shampoo/SLS is causing the scalp problems rather than the cones. HTH, good luck :)

Azhtabak
August 9th, 2010, 02:56 AM
1.) Finger-combing is usually fine I believe - there's nothing wrong with it, the only problems you might have are if it's too thick as people have mentioned.

2.) Agreed with everyone else - no need for a trim as far as I can see, it looks very nice :)

3.) No need to cut the fringe I think if you like it

4.) Sounds like it's more likely to be the shampoo I think, rather than cones - I think the shampoos you mentioned contain SLS, and especially if you're washing daily. I wouldn't worry too much about cones if they're not causing problems at the moment - though you might encounter a few problems I suppose if you do change from a SLS shampoo.