PDA

View Full Version : Trim at Home

shawty
August 8th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Today my mother asked me to trim her hair, and I was ecstatic that she came to me instead of visiting the hairdressor.

Some background: My mom is aged 59, with shoulder-length hair that was once 3a F/M and is now 1c/2a F. She has been coloring it brown for years. I think the reason she wanted to hide her gray is because my brother and I are so young... she is older than the parents of most of my peers.
I have been cutting my own hair for about 6 years (which doesn't say much though, since my cuts are usually few, unplanned, and drastic) and I trimmed the APL hair of my second-to-last BF several times during our 1.5 yr relationship, so I have a little bit of experience, though I am untrained. To my credit, the last time I had my hair cut by someone trained (almost 2 years ago), I told him I'd been cutting my own for a while and he looked it over and said something like, "You did a very good job. The ends aren't too split, and it's even!" :D

The trim: I asked my mother whether she wanted blunt or layered, and she said "What do I have now? Do that." She's so cute! I trimmed very carefully / conservatively, focusing on removing split ends whithout depleting length. I gave her slight layers, mostly in the front, as that is what she had before. I got to see 1/2 inch of roots while doing this, and I reckon her hair is 80% or 90% gray now. I encouraged her to grow it long and stop dying it, both of which she politely declined. Oh well. It's her choice after all! :) When I finished, she looked at it and was surprised by how little I had removed. My mom is pleased with her trim and it was super fun and saved us some dollahs!

Happy growing and at-home trimming (if you do) to everyone! <3

BTW This is my first time posting a thread so I hope it's in the right spot, and good, and everything... :o

christine1989
August 8th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Great job trimming! I don't think I would have the confidence to trim anyone's hair but my own :).

shawty
August 8th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Great job trimming! I don't think I would have the confidence to trim anyone's hair but my own :).

Thanks @christine1989 !

akhkharu
August 8th, 2010, 08:24 PM
My boyfriend and I trim one another's hair about once a year. It's much simpler than the trim you're doing, shawty, because we both have straight hemlines; still, I know how it feels to be entrusted with cutting someone else's hair!

shawty
August 8th, 2010, 08:29 PM
My boyfriend and I trim one another's hair about once a year. It's much simpler than the trim you're doing, shawty, because we both have straight hemlines; still, I know how it feels to be entrusted with cutting someone else's hair!

I'm so glad she trusted me to do it. Basically made my day.

JenniferNoel
August 8th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Nice!
I trim everyone's hair around here. Everyone trusts me.
I cut my own hair and have experimented with many different styles so I definitely have some experience, people also allow me to color their hair when needed.

Carina
August 8th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I did trim my own hair for the first time three weeks ago.It feels great.It must have been awesome to get that trust from your mother.Happy trimming :cheese:.

LoversLullaby
August 8th, 2010, 09:13 PM
My mom would never ever let me touch her hair with scissors. I cut my hair with an even hemline, but she doesn't trust me I guess.

I'm glad your mom does though! It'd make my day too if my mom asked. :thumbsup:

shawty
August 8th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I cut my own hair and have experimented with many different styles so I definitely have some experience, people also allow me to color their hair when needed.

That's fun when you get to that point. =)

GoddesJourney
August 8th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Well, congratulations. I too am a self-trimmer and I've also trimmed my mom's hair once or twice. It's only fair since she trimmed mine most of the time growing up, right? Happy growing to you, too.

Kristin
August 9th, 2010, 12:12 AM
I'm glad she trusted you enough to let you do that. I've been micro-trimming my own hair for over a year and my mom and sister just let me trim their hair the other day. I cut bangs for my sister, too. At the time, she told me to stop with the bangs because she thought I was taking off too much, but the following day she told me she really liked them. I was sooo glad. :)

shawty
August 9th, 2010, 08:52 PM
At the time, she told me to stop with the bangs because she thought I was taking off too much, but the following day she told me she really liked them.

That's awesome!

charalito
August 27th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Congratulations!

In my family is the other way around: mom trims her own hair and my dads, but I never let her do mine... Maybe I should trust her :)