PDA

View Full Version : Celebrities who go grey on purpose

marzipanthecat
August 8th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Here's an article I came across which is about celebrities who chose to have their hair grey (rather than blonde or red or whatever other colour you can think of).

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/beauty/celebrities-go-grey-on-purpose-gallery-25-1.html

I'm all in favour of people being allowed to do whatever they like with their hair, I'd just like it if grey hair wasn't seen as being such a far-out thing to have (no one should feel they have to dye their hair!).

Personally, I really like they grey! Some people (like Emmylou Harris) have looked just beautiful for years like this anyway.

pepperminttea
August 8th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I love grey and white hair, something I'm looking forward to. That said, I'd be intrigued to see them go for their root touch-ups (those who dyed theirs grey), it'd be such a novelty to see grey hair as the length rather than the roots coming through! :)

TrudieCat
August 8th, 2010, 02:00 PM
How interesting that most of the people profiled at that link have dyed their hair to make it gray.

Azhtabak
August 8th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I've always thought that grey/white are quite nice colours for hair, especially for longer styles. Probably comes from watching too much anime :P

SurprisingWoman
August 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I am a believer in natural beauty and not feeling like you have to have a particular style or look to be beautiful.

That being said all of the young girls rocking the gray.... yawn.

Gray/silver/white is beautiful because it's natural. If you have to die it then it is just another thing kids are doing.

I think it's great they want to look older but I wonder when tattooed age spots are going to take off? ;)

akrasia
August 8th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I read a similar article in the Guardian about grey hair and fashion. (August is a slow month.) One of the fashion experts described how men could go grey and be sexy, whereas women really needed a dye job to make the most of their looks. The fashion expert did concede, "I guess that's a double standard." Hello? The word is "sexism!" lol

ghost
August 8th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I like gray hair -natural, dyed, whatever. I've had my hair white, and if I hadn't decided to dye it brown again, I might have done silver next.
I like seeing women with naturally gray hair, and I like seeing girls with dyed gray or white hair. I don't think that one is more beautiful than the other.

mellie
August 8th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Great article! Silver is HOT!! :cheer:

Nevada Rose
August 8th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Here's an article I came across which is about celebrities who chose to have their hair grey (rather than blonde or red or whatever other colour you can think of).

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/beauty/celebrities-go-grey-on-purpose-gallery-25-1.html

I'm all in favour of people being allowed to do whatever they like with their hair, I'd just like it if grey hair wasn't seen as being such a far-out thing to have (no one should feel they have to dye their hair!).

Personally, I really like they grey! Some people (like Emmylou Harris) have looked just beautiful for years like this anyway.

I have the loved the silver grays for as long as I can remember. I have white strands throughout, and will not consider covering them with any dyes. And, I agree with you, Emmylou Harris looks great.:poot:

Nevada Rose
August 8th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I am a believer in natural beauty and not feeling like you have to have a particular style or look to be beautiful.

Gray/silver/white is beautiful because it's natural. If you have to die it then it is just another thing kids are doing.

I think it's great they want to look older but I wonder when tattooed age spots are going to take off? ;)

There you are....,one of favorite silverery/whites.:D

florenonite
August 8th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I love natural grey hair, but there's something a bit jarring about seeing a full head of grey hair on young women, and the majority of the women pictured there were in their twenties. The streaks in Kate Moss's hair look lovely and natural, but Pixie Geldof's full head of grey hair just looked a bit strange to me because she has such a young face. It's different from dyeing hair a colour that doesn't appear in nature, like pink, because it is a natural colour that very rarely appears on people who are young. It's a bit like an Asian dyeing their hair a very natural-looking shade of blonde or red, because it's a colour that we normally see on people with fair skin. There's nothing wrong with people doing it, there's just something a bit unusual about the hair in combination with the face, KWIM?

adiapalic
August 8th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I've always thought that grey/white are quite nice colours for hair, especially for longer styles. Probably comes from watching too much anime :P

This is exactly what I was thinking. The silver hair on the young faces make them look like real-life anime.

I do like that people are doing this--the intentional look of silver hair might make it seem less radical when seen in its natural state... not for the youths to steal anyone's thunder of course, hehe.

I don't like ageism... and to me, fashion is always pretentious, but if young women are embracing gray hair, even if for their own vanity, then heck... that's good enough to me.

Gray hair is a symbol of aging, and it's just nice to see that openly equated with beauty. Personally I've always thought of gray hair as beautiful--and to me it's more beautiful in its natural state.

-adiapalic, future renegray.

SurprisingWoman
August 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
There you are....,one of favorite silverery/whites.:D

Thanks! :)

shawty
August 8th, 2010, 05:59 PM

Everything SurprisingWoman said! Seriously!

Centaur
August 8th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Jamie Lee Curtis stopped coloring her grey over years ago.

Sissy
August 8th, 2010, 07:05 PM

I agree with this. The thing that's beautiful about the gray or white hair by LHC users like SuprisingWoman and Ol'GrayMare is that it's NATURAL. It's kinda weird that the celebs are dyeing it grey.

boomtownrat
August 8th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Personally, I love it because it could help destigmatize silver-haired women. Besides, I think it looks good on most of them (I like Pixie's silver most of all, and not just because her dad was the singer for the Boomtown Rats* :D). I see nothing wrong with people trying to have grey hair, just as there's nothing wrong with people trying to be redheads or blondes.

* Bob Geldof looks quite the silver fox these days (http://backseatcuddler.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/bob-geldof.jpg), himself. I couldn't find a newer photo - that one is at least three years old.

Jasperine
August 9th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I really hope that more people will start embracing their grey hair! It can be so truely beautiful. I wouldn't dye my hair as some of the women from the link did, but would love to have a head of natural gray hair :)

Katurday
August 9th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I'm kinda resenting the comments of people that its not a good thing just because the kids didn't earn the gray, that its not NATURAL. First of all, my boyfriend is going gray at 18. I have 5 classmates who are as well. My mother went fully gray at 30. I'll be a renegray before I pay off a mortgage. Likely, before I GET a mortgage!

That being said, who said natural is good? I love natural gray, but I also love bleach blonde and all the other funky colors, including gray. Beauty is far more complex than what's "authentic" and sorry to the natural grays that a few fashionable girls are stealing your thunder, but honestly, its the way its always been.

restourceful
August 9th, 2010, 01:07 PM

:spitting: :lol: :rollin:

Best thing I've read all day!

I, for one, will still be rockin' my silvers even after this "trend" has run its course. :rockerdudhttp://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/whitehair.gif (http://www.millan.net)

FrannyG
August 9th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Wow, I think Kristen McMenamy looks better than ever with her lovely long hair and natural silvers. :rockerdud

As for the younger gals who are dying their hair silver, why the heck not? I think they look adorable. :)

BlackVulture
August 9th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Grey hair makes everyone look cool in that slide show. I love the look of gray hair on young women, this coming from a gal who has had it herself. :)