PDA

View Full Version : The CWC (condition-wash-condition) official thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Henrietta
August 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
As iceyblue has just noticed, we don't have an official thread yet. So...
Tadaaa! :magic:Now we have one.

Personally I switched to CWC after failed experiment with CO. I use diluted Garnier Natural Care with Avocado and Shea Butter shampoo and the same condish as the second one. The first one is Hegron cheap, runny condish that I used for CO. It makes my hair soft and protects the length from the shampoo. I also keep the second heavier conditioner for 30+ minutes on my length. Fantastic results. Shiny, soft and smooth hair. Even better than after CO.

Azhtabak
August 8th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I suppose I might as well add my name to the list of people using this method, as recommended to me by the standard newbie advice thread.

I use Avalon Organics Lavender Shampoo and Faith in Nature Rosemary Conditioner, which seems to work very well for me :) (Admittadly only compared to previous coneful method of shampooing/conditioning everything.) It also leaves my hair smelling nice aftwerwards :)

Is it generally recommended to use different conditioners for the 1st/2nd wash? I've been using just the same one, but it seems like quite a few people use different ones? :confused:

Henrietta
August 8th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I suppose I might as well add my name to the list of people using this method, as recommended to me by the standard newbie advice thread.

I use Avalon Organics Lavender Shampoo and Faith in Nature Rosemary Conditioner, which seems to work very well for me :) (Admittadly only compared to previous coneful method of shampooing/conditioning everything.) It also leaves my hair smelling nice aftwerwards :)

Is it generally recommended to use different conditioners for the 1st/2nd wash? I've been using just the same one, but it seems like quite a few people use different ones? :confused:

I do it because Hegron condish is runny and cheap. I can use as much as I want to:) If I used Garnier's one as the first condish I would have to buy a lot of it, and it's not the cheapest one. So in my case it's all about money and the thickness of condish.

squiggyflop
August 8th, 2010, 12:33 PM
does it count if you oil the length heavily before washing.. oil is sort of conditioner right?
oh and i use diluted clarifying shampoo as my usual shampoo.. and then i use suave professionals conditioner after

ghost
August 8th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Yay CWC!
I alternate between CWC and CO, usually doing one CWC to every 2 or 3 CO. I shampoo my bangs every day, though.
I usually do a light oiling before every wash, then do Organix conditioner, clove shampoo from Aveda, then Organix conditioner again. For the shampoo, it's always the clove since I have brown hair, but the conditioner is whatever Organix I happen to have on hand at the time. I try to use the coconut milk one in between every new one I try, though.

Henrietta
August 8th, 2010, 12:38 PM
does it count if you oil the length heavily before washing.. oil is sort of conditioner right?
oh and i use diluted clarifying shampoo as my usual shampoo.. and then i use suave professionals conditioner after

It counts. Practically coconut oil protects the length from the shampoo too:)

Azhtabak
August 8th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I do it because Hegron condish is runny and cheap. I can use as much as I want to:) If I used Garnier's one as the first condish I would have to buy a lot of it, and it's not the cheapest one. So in my case it's all about money and the thickness of condish.

Ah, the first condish is the one where you use lots? I've been doing it backwards then <_<

loralie
August 8th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I do this too! I usually use Suave Coconut first, shampoo using clean argan shampoo or natureclean shampoo, and every so often I use an SLS shampoo to clarify. I only shampoo my scalp.

My second conditioner is Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition, or their Dryness Reversal, and I leave this on while I shave. :)

growing2shine
August 8th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I experimented with CO but it just left my hair really greasy and oily. Then I switched to the CWC method. It works great for me so im going to stick with this one. My hair is very damaged from dye and heat tools, so I do a SMT before every wash, then I shampoo the scalp only and I use a coney 3-minute conditioner. :)

Henrietta
August 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Ah, the first condish is the one where you use lots? I've been doing it backwards then <_<

I think I use the same amount of both. But I would feel guilty in some way if I used heavy, relatively expensive condish just to rinse it out after a while. I the forst condish is important, but if I can have the same effect of protection and pay less for it... You know:) It's like... Garnier's condish is too heavy and expensive to use it just for physical protection from shampoo. And Hegron's one is too thin, has too little good ingredients to use it as the second one.
Messy post, I know:D :o

HuggyBear
August 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Like ghost, I alternate between CWC and CO. For CWC, I use Suave Coconut Conditioner as my 1st C, then shampoo scalp only w/Suave Coconut Shampoo or Juicy Apple, and I use GF Triple Nutrition as my last C. I am so glad I found LHC...CWC makes my hair happy. :)

Henrietta
August 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Like ghost, I alternate between CWC and CO. For CWC, I use Suave Coconut Conditioner as my 1st C, then shampoo scalp only w/Suave Coconut Shampoo or Juicy Apple, and I use GF Triple Nutrition as my last C. I am so glad I found LHC...CWC makes my hair happy. :)

Welcome at TLCH and on CWC board:)

Vampire
August 8th, 2010, 02:15 PM
CWC here too :)
at the moment im just using up my left over stuff, and the bottles i have atm are HUGE :p they are some Bed head TIGI brunette goddess, havent really looked what's in them :run:

white line
August 8th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I started doing this when I joined LHC and really love the results. I use V05 for the first C and GF Triple Nutrition for the second C. I alternate a couple different shampoos that I have in the shower.

anthonyswife
August 8th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I'm glad to see an official cwc thread!

I too alternate between co and cwc, lately cwc has been giving me better results. My first conditioner varies, it's either Suave Humectant, Pantene Nature Fusions Moisture Balance, or Garnier Triple Nutrition. I wash with Pantene Curls shampoo, and then my second conditioner is a mix of the above mentioned Pantene and Garnier.

Today I'm thinking of mixing in a little honey with my second conditioner like CinnamonHair recommends on her website...we'll see how it turns out. :)

hairg33k
August 8th, 2010, 03:39 PM
CWC is a good one for me too :) I like to use VO5 conditioner and my Alba shampoo. I don't constantly do CWC though, I'm another one who switches between regular washes, CO, and CWC.

Jenn of Pence
August 8th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I also CWC, and I like it! Right now, I'm using Tresemme Naturals conditioner for the first condition and the shampoo for the wash. I've been using either Aussie Moist or Biolage Conditioning Balm as the second condition.
I even told a friend about CWC the other day...it's such a simple change that anyone could do, and without scaring them with other LHC terms like "cones," "S&D," "henna," or "fully rolled sock bun." ;)

Yamainu
August 8th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I also switched to CWC as per usual newbie advice, and I'm loving it! I use Garnier Long and Strong right now, but when these bottles are gone, I plan on switching to Triple Nutrition as it's less coney (having used cones my whole life, I'm scared to go off them completely!).

One thing I started doing with CWC is to condition ALL my hair on the second C - I've been shampooing my roots and conditioning just the length for years, and my ends have been dry and my roots oily. Now the first C protects my ends, and the second C helps my roots get less greasy (I suppose I was just drying out my roots?).

I admit to curiosity about CO, but I have no patience for experimentation and trouble shooting (I've tried both no poo and shampoo bars in the past, and waited through the obligatory weeks of "detoxing" only to find out it wasn't detoxing, it was just my hair hating it...). So I'll stick with CWC for now! ;)

shawty
August 8th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I do S/C once a week with WO in between, but CWC instead of SC on weeks when I do treatments, which is every week lately since I've been having fun experimenting. =) So I suppose I belong here too.

sarahbrownie
August 8th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I use Almond oil overnight or for a few hours, wash with Avalon Organics Peppermint Strengthening Shampoo and Conditioner, though I might discontinue that soon because of the cones in the conditioner and it leaves my hair rather dry. It was only my saving grace when I switched off of SLS/Coney Dove shampoo and had a horribly itchy scalp.

iceyblue
August 8th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Hi ! Thanks for creating this thread :)

Would like to ask, do all of you use a shampoo without sls ?
going to try CWC and hope it works better than CO for me ;)

white line
August 8th, 2010, 07:27 PM

the one I used today didn't have sls and it seems to have worked fine. normally my shampoo does have sls though

freckles
August 9th, 2010, 04:15 AM
I do CWC :) I've done a few variations of it, but at the moment my routine is:

oil dry hair quite heavily with coconut oil, and leave for a bit. Then, slather (still dry) hair with conditioner and leave for a bit -- I normally do both these stages while out of the bath/shower. When I'm in, I scrub the scalp with a bit of water, then shampoo (sometimes I dilute, sometimes not). Rinse thoroughly (and scrub scalp). Condition, and rinse. I might rub a pinch of coconut oil through damp hair afterwards.

Although I occasionally throw in a CO or WO wash, my fine hair seems to do best with some shampoo. Now and then, I S (including length) & C to clarify.

I usually use an SLS-free shampoo, but not always -- it just happens that most of my favourites are SLS-free. Both SLS and SLS-free seem to work for CWC for me. :)

Henrietta
August 9th, 2010, 10:31 AM

I use SLS, though I am cone free. My hair likes SLS, SLS likes my hair. We have no problems:)

iceyblue
August 9th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the comments (:
Good chance for me to use up my shampoos as well.

I've tried CWC and my ends doesn't feel that dry anymore ( shampooed many times yesterday to get olive oil out of my hair ! )

I didn't drop as much hair as CO so i hope it works. Thank you so much for your help!

Azhtabak
August 9th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I use SLS-free shampoo (and am also cone-free), since my hair seems to dry very easily :( I keep a sulphate shampoo around though for when I can't help but get cones, etc into it.

curlsgalore
August 9th, 2010, 11:22 AM
This is interesting. I've never tried this, but I will soon.

Jenn of Pence
August 9th, 2010, 12:30 PM
For those of you who occasionally clarify, do you just wash and condition on wash day, basically just omitting the pre-condition? Or do you have other preferred methods?

Henrietta
August 9th, 2010, 12:39 PM
For those of you who occasionally clarify, do you just wash and condition on wash day, basically just omitting the pre-condition? Or do you have other preferred methods?

I wash without the first C. And after washing I would do a deep oiling treatment instead of the second C. :)

freckles
August 9th, 2010, 01:05 PM

yeah, when I clarify, I S&C :)

Vampire
August 9th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Ok still new to all this stuff so what does clarify mean? I mean do i have to do this too and why?

Jenn of Pence
August 9th, 2010, 02:29 PM
To clarify is to really clean the hair to remove buildup. Cones are one of the main culprits, but it could be anything that adheres to the strands that causes unwanted effects. I am no clarifying expert; I just use a store bought clarifying shampoo and use it when the length gets gunky or my ends get crunchy. I think there are many clarifying options; hopefully some others will share their knowledge!

Capybara
August 9th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Me me me! I do CWC, with a CO wash once every 3 or 4 CWC's.

Typically, I'll switch up my products every one in a while, try new things. Right now, I'm using Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner, then TRESemmé shampoo, followed by a Dove conditioner (I think it's called beautiful care?) I really like how CWC makes my hair feel :)

akhkharu
August 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I do this with Aussie Moist conditioner and different kinds of shampoo. I'm thinking of trying Giovanni Tea Tree next, has anyone used that?

Yamainu
August 9th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Mine has SLS - I don't think I've ever used shampoo without it. I wouldn't even know where to FIND shampoo without it...

Henrietta
August 10th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Mine has SLS - I don't think I've ever used shampoo without it. I wouldn't even know where to FIND shampoo without it...

Exactly. I have the same problem. I don't have any problems with SLS, but, who knows, maybe my hair would be better without it. I don't have any chance to check it. Or... maybe I should try a baby shampoo...

Slug Yoga
August 10th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Those of you who oil before washing--how much oil are you using? I feel like I still don't have a handle on how much oil to use, whether it's before washing or on a daily basis.

Henrietta
August 10th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Those of you who oil before washing--how much oil are you using? I feel like I still don't have a handle on how much oil to use, whether it's before washing or on a daily basis.

I use about 0,15 fl.oz. I have a big bottle of coconut oil in the fridge and a smaller one in bathroom, for everyday use. So I use about 1/4 or 1/3 of this little bottle everytime before washing. I don't oil my scalp. Just my length from the ears down.

HintOfMint
August 10th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Ok still new to all this stuff so what does clarify mean? I mean do i have to do this too and why?

To clarify is to really clean the hair to remove buildup. Cones are one of the main culprits, but it could be anything that adheres to the strands that causes unwanted effects. I am no clarifying expert; I just use a store bought clarifying shampoo and use it when the length gets gunky or my ends get crunchy. I think there are many clarifying options; hopefully some others will share their knowledge!

Clarifying is basically shampooing the scalp and entire length extremely well to get rid of any buildup. The gold standard is an SLS or ALS shampoo as that gets rid of anything under the sun. This is particularly useful to get rid of silicone buildup. However, to get rid of only protein buildup, a sulfate-free shampoo works just as well.

curlsgalore
August 11th, 2010, 10:36 AM
So I know I've only tried this once, but I believe I'm going to really like this :). I'm going to alternate between this method and CO. Since my hair is curly and tends to get "dry" easy, I believe this method will work wonderfully for me! I did this with my shampoo bar today and my hair felt wonderful. :p

Henrietta
August 11th, 2010, 10:39 AM
So I know I've only tried this once, but I believe I'm going to really like this :). I'm going to alternate between this method and CO. Since my hair is curly and tends to get "dry" easy, I believe this method will work wonderfully for me! I did this with my shampoo bar today and my hair felt wonderful. :p

Souds like you and CWC will be best friends;)
For me CWC is literally a salvation. Bless the one who invented it.

Shany
August 11th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I also CWC, and I like it! Right now, I'm using Tresemme Naturals conditioner for the first condition and the shampoo for the wash. I've been using either Aussie Moist or Biolage Conditioning Balm as the second condition.
I even told a friend about CWC the other day...it's such a simple change that anyone could do, and without scaring them with other LHC terms like "cones," "S&D," "henna," or "fully rolled sock bun." ;)

I do the same thing.. Tresemme naturals moisturizing conditioner as the first condition and Biolage conditioning balm as the second one, I really like it! I use LiveClean moisturizing shampoo though. I do CWC since 3 weeks and I love the results.

30 mins ago I put in my wet hair a mix of honey, coconut oil, Biolage conditioning balm and Tresemme naturals conditioner warmed in the microwave. I'm going to wash it soon...I never put honey in my hair before. :confused:
Is it good to mix honey with conditioner in a bottle, even if the honey is not warm?

lhangel9
August 11th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Alright - count me in! I tried the CO method and wasn't too happy with the results. Now I'm doing CWC (only once/week) and I'm using a Keratin Shampoo for the "W." Whether it's working or not? The jury's still out.

Henrietta
August 12th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Alright - count me in! I tried the CO method and wasn't too happy with the results. Now I'm doing CWC (only once/week) and I'm using a Keratin Shampoo for the "W." Whether it's working or not? The jury's still out.

Hello on the CWC board:)
Hope CWC will work for you. I am also former CO washer and after struggling with CO, cones and... ugh... CWC is my heaven. You will see in a few weeks if it works :)

mneh
September 12th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I'm not getting the results I want from CoWashing, my scalp is very oily and no matter what method of CoWashing I try it doesn't stop my scalp from being oily after every wash (although it does make my curly hair everywhere other than my scalp happier). I've been mixing baking soda in with my CoWash conditioner, and it keeps the scalp oil-free, but I've been reading that many LHC folks found baking soda to be drying on their hair after long use. Perhaps occasional CWC is for me - I still have shampoo bars and Organic shampoo lying around that I didn't want to throw away after adopting CoWashing.

So, I have some experimenting to try i.e. how often must I CWC in a week to allow me to mostly CoWash the rest of the time and not have very oily scalp. I think I'm going to have to start writing down the things I try on my hair, so I can remember what works and what doesn't. I think a spreadsheet is calling to me LOL

HintOfMint
September 12th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I
Is it good to mix honey with conditioner in a bottle, even if the honey is not warm?

Unheated honey can lighten hair. Just to let you know.

summergame
September 12th, 2010, 11:58 PM
My best results are also with the cwc method! But I have to use a heavy conditioner at first because my shampoo is a little bit agressive (redken for color treated hair) When all my products are empty I will buy natural hairproducts :)

Henrietta
September 13th, 2010, 02:33 AM
My best results are also with the cwc method! But I have to use a heavy conditioner at first because my shampoo is a little bit agressive (redken for color treated hair) When all my products are empty I will buy natural hairproducts :)

Maybe be has too much sulphates in it? I experienced that too, with Garnier Frustis Volume Restructure. It has about 8 sulphates and I needed more conditioner before "W".

summergame
September 13th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Yes I think so,I will look at the bottle tomorrow when it's washing hair day :)

Gilly
September 13th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Could someone please tell me how to do CWC with shampoo bars???
I have lots of conditioners, mainly cone free but I would really love to be able to use all the lovely CV bars that I have.
My hair craves moisture all the time!

RachieBaby
September 13th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Count me in for this too! I've been doing CWC for about 2 weeks now and its already made a huge difference to my ends :D I use Aussie shampoo and conditioner which works really well for me :)

summergame
September 13th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Could someone please tell me how to do CWC with shampoo bars???
I have lots of conditioners, mainly cone free but I would really love to be able to use all the lovely CV bars that I have.
My hair craves moisture all the time!

It's not difficould I think, you put conditioner on your lenghts after you made your hair wet and towel dry it,than you use your bar on your scalp(do not towel dry your scalp,otherwise you cant wash it) , when you feel that its enough soap you wash ity out and towel dry it again and then do the last c with conditioner of your choise.

Shany
September 13th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Unheated honey can lighten hair. Just to let you know.

ok thanks. I heat it usually

janeytilllie
September 13th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I scalp wash only 2x a week. After about 3 weeks of scalp washing only I then do a CWC.

I love CWC. :heartbeat It always leaves my hair in lovely condition :bounce:

At the moment I use Inecto coconut conditioner, Naked mild shampoo and for the final condition Faith in Nature Hemp meadowfoam conditioner.

I use at least palm full of the Inecto conditioner and smoother my hair with it. I leave that on for hour before washing.

I then wash with the shampoo and then use my more expensive Faith in Nature conditioner.

Marjolein
September 13th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I'm also a CWC-er :). I first slather my length in a cheap, runny and conefree conditioner. Immediately after that I shampoo my scalp with a SLS-free shampoo and then I use a heavier conefree conditioner on the lengths again. This conditioner I leave on for about 2 minutes.

I'd like to learn about your timelines. How long do you leave each conditioner on, and do you just condition the length or also the scalp?

Henrietta
September 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I'm also a CWC-er :). I first slather my length in a cheap, runny and conefree conditioner. Immediately after that I shampoo my scalp with a SLS-free shampoo and then I use a heavier conefree conditioner on the lengths again. This conditioner I leave on for about 2 minutes.

I'd like to learn about your timelines. How long do you leave each conditioner on, and do you just condition the length or also the scalp?

I put the first C and immediately I shampoo too. Then I rinse everything off and I put the second, heavier condish and I keep it on my hair for about an hour if it's Garnier conditioner and overnight if it's a henna conditioner. I condition only my length, because my scalp hates condishes.

curlsgalore
September 13th, 2010, 10:42 AM
This method is still working for me. As a matter of fact my girls are also doing this. This works with any "poo" that I use, whether shampoo bars or a sulfate free shampoo. I'm very pleased to have found this thread.

allnaturalboy
September 13th, 2010, 11:07 AM
When you guys are doing the shampoo part of the CWC, do you just shampoo the scalp and roots? Or your entire head? Length too or just let the suds run through them?

janeytilllie
September 13th, 2010, 11:33 AM
When you guys are doing the shampoo part of the CWC, do you just shampoo the scalp and roots? Or your entire head? Length too or just let the suds run through them?

I shampoo my scalp/roots only and then let the suds fall down into my hair when rising :)

curlsgalore
September 13th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I shampoo my scalp/roots only and then let the suds fall down into my hair when rising :)

I do the same.

Henrietta
September 13th, 2010, 01:07 PM

I shampoo only my scalp. I am trying not to let the shampoo or even the shampoo foam to touch my scalp hair.

SpinDance
September 13th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Count me in! I haven't been happy with the results I got with CO, but CWC I really like.

Carolyn
September 13th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I do the same. The suds rinse anything off the length that shouldn't be there. I don't CWC all the time but when I need to use shampoo on my scalp it's the method I most often use.

summergame
September 14th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Maybe be has too much sulphates in it? I experienced that too, with Garnier Frustis Volume Restructure. It has about 8 sulphates and I needed more conditioner before "W".

I have looked on my bottle of shampoo I recognice only one sulphate(because it have sulphate in it's name :D ) Are there other ingredients (sulphates names)where I have to spend attention to?

I'm sorry, I can't type it correctly what I want to say :(

KittyLost
September 15th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I've just started a CWC routine, too early to tell if there is benefits or not but here's hoping :) My hair is pretty dry so this will probably help it.

Does it matter that my shampoo is L'oreal Kids Extra Gentle 2-in-1 Shampoo? As in 2-in-1?

SpinDance
September 15th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Does it matter that my shampoo is L'oreal Kids Extra Gentle 2-in-1 Shampoo? As in 2-in-1?

I have never had good results using 2-in-1 shampoo's. They made my hair very dry and brittle. I'm sure there are others for whom they work quite well. It is a long-term adventure to figure out what works on your hair, since we are all different. To keep things even more interesting we change over time, too! :)

torrilin
September 15th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Well, it can't hurt to try using up the 2 in 1 shampoo with a CWC type wash, and then see if a plain shampoo produces better results. It's not like you're in a hurry, and it would be a nice tidy experiment!

LoversLullaby
September 15th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I think I'm going to go back to a CWC routine. My hair is so unhappy with baking soda washes, because I always end up getting the baking soda on my length, which makes it dry but my scalp very happy, and while CO washing does wonders for my length, it makes me shed like mad.

New wash routine:
-Suave Tropical Coconut on length of hair from ears down
-Trader Joe's Refresh shampoo with a small amount of baking soda and honey mixed in (makes it gently more cleansing to stretch washes longer)
-Rinse after shampoo is all massaged in
-SMT with Trader Joe's Refresh conditioner on the length and left on for an hour

Next wash on Saturday will be this, let's see how it goes. :)

Henrietta
September 16th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I have looked on my bottle of shampoo I recognice only one sulphate(because it have sulphate in it's name :D ) Are there other ingredients (sulphates names)where I have to spend attention to?

I'm sorry, I can't type it correctly what I want to say :(

I think everything is fine with amount of sulphates then. As far as I know the only "sulphates" ingredients are there ones, that have "sulphate" in their names, so... Everything is fine about this detail.

KittyLost
September 16th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the advice! You're right I can only stick with it and see what happens. I just need to be patient :)

Angeletti
September 17th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Well I think I'm going to try this method tomorrow, CO has left my hair too greasy. I do have a question though, when you guys do the second conditioner do you put it all over your hair or do you just put it on the ends? I love how putting conditioner on the top of my head helps tame fly away hairs but I didn't know if it would make my hair greasy if I did this even though I just shampooed.

jlw9222
September 18th, 2010, 09:04 PM
You know, I never considered this until I read it here. Now...I do this every time. Thanks for the idea. It's made a huge difference. :)

Angeletti
September 18th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Well I tried it today and my hair feels awesome, looks like this will be my method from now on. I sat around with V05 on damp hair for about 20 minutes then washed my scalp with shampoo and put on some It's a 10 conditioner on the length and it seems my hair is happy with that.

Henrietta
September 19th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Well I tried it today and my hair feels awesome, looks like this will be my method from now on. I sat around with V05 on damp hair for about 20 minutes then washed my scalp with shampoo and put on some It's a 10 conditioner on the length and it seems my hair is happy with that.

Oh, new idea. Thank you for sharing this method. I will try leaving the first "C" on my hair longer instead of putting it and wash immediately. I have never thought about it before... Hm:)

julia941
September 19th, 2010, 01:24 PM
This is *exactly* what I did today except I used V05 instead of Suave. I worked a tiny bit of coconut oil through it after towel drying and it feels great. It kind of goes through a frizzy stage while drying but miraculously those wiry grey hairs tend to fall into line once it is dry. Probably the coconut oil.

SpinDance
September 20th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Last week I started a new test. I've been oiling, usually fairly heavily, before washing, putting the oil on the night or day before washing, and wearing it up in a bun overnight. The once or twice a week heavy oilings seem to be helping my hair a lot, but washing it out can be a bit challenging. I am currently in the middle of a no-cones test phase, using mostly Suave Naturals and V05 Moisture Milk Passionfruit Smoothie shampoo, or some other no-cone shampoos I've got around.

The new test is to put conditioner on dry hair before turning on the shower and letting it stay on, clipped up on my head out of the way, while the shower water is running up (getting warm). In the shower I get it slightly damp with water to distribute the conditioner around and through the lengths and ends, then shampoo the scalp and rinse the whole thing as usual. Then I apply the second condition step as usual. The only new twist is dry application and thus longer conditioner times for the first condition.

I'm not timing how long the conditioner is on my hair, before I get into the shower and dampen it, but it's probably 5-10 minutes. The time it takes me to putter around getting ready for my day. I don't have a lot of slack in my schedule to add time for something new, but so far this variation on the CWC seems like it is working. Today I didn't add any leave-in to my damp hair after washing since I had put 10 drops of oil on the night before and I wasn't sure if putting on more would be too much.

So far the results are good. I continue to have shine clear to the ends and it feels very nice. I will need to continue to do this for a few more weeks before I'll know whether it is worth the little bit of extra time and effort, and the extra conditioner, as it does take more to apply dry than wet. I may try diluting the conditioner, too, to see if that makes a difference.

Henrietta
September 21st, 2010, 12:16 AM
Last week I started a new test. I've been oiling, usually fairly heavily, before washing, putting the oil on the night or day before washing, and wearing it up in a bun overnight. The once or twice a week heavy oilings seem to be helping my hair a lot, but washing it out can be a bit challenging. I am currently in the middle of a no-cones test phase, using mostly Suave Naturals and V05 Moisture Milk Passionfruit Smoothie shampoo, or some other no-cone shampoos I've got around.

The new test is to put conditioner on dry hair before turning on the shower and letting it stay on, clipped up on my head out of the way, while the shower water is running up (getting warm). In the shower I get it slightly damp with water to distribute the conditioner around and through the lengths and ends, then shampoo the scalp and rinse the whole thing as usual. Then I apply the second condition step as usual. The only new twist is dry application and thus longer conditioner times for the first condition.

I'm not timing how long the conditioner is on my hair, before I get into the shower and dampen it, but it's probably 5-10 minutes. The time it takes me to putter around getting ready for my day. I don't have a lot of slack in my schedule to add time for something new, but so far this variation on the CWC seems like it is working. Today I didn't add any leave-in to my damp hair after washing since I had put 10 drops of oil on the night before and I wasn't sure if putting on more would be too much.

So far the results are good. I continue to have shine clear to the ends and it feels very nice. I will need to continue to do this for a few more weeks before I'll know whether it is worth the little bit of extra time and effort, and the extra conditioner, as it does take more to apply dry than wet. I may try diluting the conditioner, too, to see if that makes a difference.

It's interesting. I had never thought about doing CWC this way but I see that few people do it and you made me want to try:) Let us know about the results.

Cleopatra18
September 21st, 2010, 12:26 AM
I have recently started CWC as well,and it's working great.I wash with shampoo bars though instead of shampoo because the ones i have are not so moisturising as the CV stuff and all.I also heavy oil before wash day.

Cleopatra18
September 21st, 2010, 12:42 AM
I have recently started CWC as well,and it's working great.I wash with shampoo bars though instead of shampoo because the ones i have are not so moisturising as the CV stuff and all.I also heavy oil before wash day.

SpinDance
September 21st, 2010, 08:48 AM
Henrietta, so far I continue to like the results of this modified CWC. I'm finding that my usually frizzy, unruly, hair is smoothing out nicely. It is going to take probably another 2 or 3 weeks before I make my final determination of the 1st apply dry method. I'll let you know how it goes!

Yamainu
September 22nd, 2010, 06:15 AM
Personally, I condition root to tips on the second time around - I find this helps my hair not get greasy so quickly? But I only put a little on my scalp - just swipe my hands through while they stile have a little bit on them after I work it through the length.

danacc
September 22nd, 2010, 10:14 AM

I use the CWC method. I find that conditioner is a much better way to wash the length after a heavy oiling than trying to get it out with shampoo.

I do something similar to what you describe, but I dampen my oiled hair before carefully squishing the conditioner all through it. I love the results I get from oil-condition-wash-condition! (OCWC?)

Henrietta
September 24th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I use the CWC method. I find that conditioner is a much better way to wash the length after a heavy oiling than trying to get it out with shampoo.

I do something similar to what you describe, but I dampen my oiled hair before carefully squishing the conditioner all through it. I love the results I get from oil-condition-wash-condition! (OCWC?)

I do OCWC too:) Always. Some people count oiling as the first C but for me oiling is a separate process.

Today I decided to put some conditioner on my scalp hair too. The risk of shedding has been taken. I really needed it after an hour in a swimming pool.

Henrietta
September 27th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Refresh of the thread!;)

Shedding didn't appear on Friday, though I touched my scalp with conditioner.

Tomorrow I'll have to use the second "C" as the first one too, because the runny, cheaper one is waiting for me in me new flat already. I will post the results... Hopefully they won't be better than usually because I would have to use the heavier, more expensive condish as the first one:D My wallet would cry but if there would be a chance to have better hair...;)

Gilly
September 28th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Ok, I am going to have a go at this tomorrow morning:cheese:
My plan of attack is:
Wet hair

Apply Tresseme naturals conditioner

Do I leave this for a few mins?

Apply Mastey Triate shampoo and shampoo as normal

Apply Tresseme naturals conditioner, leave for a few min and rinse.

Does that sound right?
I can't "just" shampoo my scalp as my hair is still pretty short but Mastey is VERY gentle!

Henrietta
September 28th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Ok, I am going to have a go at this tomorrow morning:cheese:
My plan of attack is:
Wet hair

Apply Tresseme naturals conditioner

Do I leave this for a few mins?

Apply Mastey Triate shampoo and shampoo as normal

Apply Tresseme naturals conditioner, leave for a few min and rinse.

Does that sound right?
I can't "just" shampoo my scalp as my hair is still pretty short but Mastey is VERY gentle!

Yes, that sounds right:) We're waiting for the results:)

And I... I am so occupied with moving away, not mentioning the fact that I don't have my first "C" now, that I have forgotten to use anything as the first condish today. So it's just W-C :D *sigh*

SpinDance
September 28th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Gilly, yes, while lately I've been doing a slightly modified first 'C', my usual way is:
- Wet hair thoroughly
- Apply first 'C', finger comb through
- Do a couple showerly things that don't take long, maybe a couple minutes
- Apply diluted shampoo and work in on scalp
- Rinse well
- Apply second 'C' and leave on while finishing remaining showerly things taking several minutes
- Rinse

I often dilute both my shampoo and conditioners, especially shampoo. I found it doesn't take that much, and it works fine for me this way. For the most part I haven't noticed too much difference in how my hair does with this routine, although I think I'm finding that using oils does not work as well with 'cones, but works great without. The 'cones seem to be unneeded when using oils like I'm doing now. Experiments are not yet complete, however.

Henrietta
September 28th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Gilly, yes, while lately I've been doing a slightly modified first 'C', my usual way is:
- Wet hair thoroughly
- Apply first 'C', finger comb through
- Do a couple showerly things that don't take long, maybe a couple minutes
- Apply diluted shampoo and work in on scalp
- Rinse well
- Apply second 'C' and leave on while finishing remaining showerly things taking several minutes
- Rinse

I often dilute both my shampoo and conditioners, especially shampoo. I found it doesn't take that much, and it works fine for me this way. For the most part I haven't noticed too much difference in how my hair does with this routine, although I think I'm finding that using oils does not work as well with 'cones, but works great without. The 'cones seem to be unneeded when using oils like I'm doing now. Experiments are not yet complete, however.

Same here. I don't need cones when I have oils. They are natural and do the same work. Or maybe they work even better. But also I have few ideas for experiments in my sleeve.

Fairlight63
September 28th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I am CWC but I don't know if I am doing it right.
I wet my hair - put cond. on length (do not rinse out) put shampoo on scalp & massage. Then I rinse out everything.
Put cond. on length - pin up - put on shower cap - continue the rest of shower - then take off shower cap & rinse all of the cond. out.

Am I doing it right? or should I rinse out the cond. before putting on the shampoo?

SpinDance
September 28th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I am CWC but I don't know if I am doing it right.
I wet my hair - put cond. on length (do not rinse out) put shampoo on scalp & massage. Then I rinse out everything.
Put cond. on length - pin up - put on shower cap - continue the rest of shower - then take off shower cap & rinse all of the cond. out.

Am I doing it right? or should I rinse out the cond. before putting on the shampoo?
You are doing it right. Part of what the first 'C' does is protect the ends and length from the shampoo. I don't pin my hair up, as I am trying not to manipulate my hair any more than needed when wet, but as I understand it many people do it just like you.

Gilly
September 28th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I did make a long post about how it worked but for some reason I got booted out when I posted it (yes I was logged in) so basically sort version:

I did it.
It worked
Nuff said!:cheese:

BrightEyes7
September 28th, 2010, 02:37 PM
CWCer here too! :)

I use Kirkland Hydrating conditioner (Costco Brand) then I use Loreal Ever Strong Hydrate shampoo. The last C I usually use the same conditoner but twice a week I switch in Aussie's 3 MM.

My hair has been loving it!

Shellby
September 28th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Just tried this last night. So far my hair is really shiny and soft. Of course it has been a braid all night and all day. Will take it out after dinner and really see how it is.

JuneBride
September 28th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I bought VO5 - and I like the smell, its Mint Vanilla Tea, but I am not sure if its good enough for the last C of the CWC. Do you recomend the first C be cheapie stuff and the last C e the same or better?

Carolyn
September 28th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I bought VO5 - and I like the smell, its Mint Vanilla Tea, but I am not sure if its good enough for the last C of the CWC. Do you recomend the first C be cheapie stuff and the last C e the same or better?I use VO5 conditioners for the first C and then something heavier for the second C. I love Vanilla Mint Tea.

Shellby
September 28th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Just took hair out of braid. It is still damp. It does feel softer. May have to check out the VO5 stuff you are speaking of. Mint Vanilla Tea sounds wonderful.

HintOfMint
September 29th, 2010, 01:14 AM
I bought VO5 - and I like the smell, its Mint Vanilla Tea, but I am not sure if its good enough for the last C of the CWC. Do you recomend the first C be cheapie stuff and the last C e the same or better?

Oh god, I've been trying to find Vanilla Mint Tea everywhere! I thought it was discontinued. Where are you finding it?

SpinDance
September 29th, 2010, 09:21 AM
You can use the same for both, if you like. I often do, especially after a heavy, deep treatment oiling overnight before the wash.

sibiryachka
September 29th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I always use the same conditioner for both steps, mostly because I try to only have one bottle in use at a time. It's crowded enough in that shower, between my products and DBF's.

tmancino
October 1st, 2010, 08:10 PM
I was wondering if I can use this treatment method for my 5 year old daughter's long hair too?

pennyroyal
October 1st, 2010, 11:22 PM
I have been CWCing lately & my hair seems to be loving it!

chargersfan
October 2nd, 2010, 09:37 AM
I was wondering if I can use this treatment method for my 5 year old daughter's long hair too?
I do it for my 4-year-old's very long hair, and it works well. I alternate between this and CO for her hair, since she needs many more baths than her hair needs washed, from getting in the playground, etc.

Sammich
October 2nd, 2010, 09:54 AM
I use this method all the time! Woot. Hi. *Waves* :D

hmmm
October 3rd, 2010, 05:53 AM
I use oil and CWC. Love it!

ZoeSophia8
October 3rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
I use oil and CWC. Love it!

Me too. :)

I've been on CWC for about a month now. My hair's happy for it.

tmancino
October 3rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
how often are you CWCing? Everyday? Every other day? every 3 days??? I thought every other day. And do you ever pile all the hair on top of your head to really shampoo your tail?

ZoeSophia8
October 3rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
how often are you CWCing? Everyday? Every other day? every 3 days??? I thought every other day. And do you ever pile all the hair on top of your head to really shampoo your tail?

I use the CWC method every time I wash. For me that means I do CWC everyday to every other day.

I never pile my hair on top of my head anymore. When I want to shampoo my length to remove buildup, I gently smooth the shampoo through my hair without rubbing or piling, and then rinse.

Emerald88
October 3rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
I never really though of myself as CWC, but if oiling before instead of regular conditioner counts then I definately am. I have been doing this for years.

hmmm
October 4th, 2010, 12:12 AM

I try to go about 4 or 5 days, but mostly 4 rather than 5. Depends on how lazy I'm feeling that week :p

I never pile my hair on my head ever.

Jenn of Pence
October 4th, 2010, 01:45 PM

Sure, I think the method is perfectly fine to use for anyone!

CourtneyBee
October 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM
With the coming colder months I've decided to cut back on having wet hair as much as possible. I've been starting the week with a heavy coconut oil soak for 1 hour or more and then applying my first conditioner directly to the oiled hair before wetting it in the shower. After a few minutes I shampoo my roots and then wash out everything. Then I apply my conditioner below my ears and let that sit for a few minutes while I do my other showerly tasks. Throughout the week I've been putting my hair in pigtail braids and washing the scalp only, being very careful to not wet my braids- this involves blotting my roots with a towel IN the shower which has proved to be a little awkward. However... my hair is LOVING this and treating me to a lovely display of cascading blonde waves down my back. I love you too hairs!:o

Henrietta
October 9th, 2010, 05:25 AM
With the coming colder months I've decided to cut back on having wet hair as much as possible. I've been starting the week with a heavy coconut oil soak for 1 hour or more and then applying my first conditioner directly to the oiled hair before wetting it in the shower. After a few minutes I shampoo my roots and then wash out everything. Then I apply my conditioner below my ears and let that sit for a few minutes while I do my other showerly tasks. Throughout the week I've been putting my hair in pigtail braids and washing the scalp only, being very careful to not wet my braids- this involves blotting my roots with a towel IN the shower which has proved to be a little awkward. However... my hair is LOVING this and treating me to a lovely display of cascading blonde waves down my back. I love you too hairs!:o

Oooo. This sounds very interesting and worth trying! Thank you for the idea! And I love the last two sentences! :):):)

RachieBaby
October 10th, 2010, 05:39 AM
I tried conditioner on dry hair today before wetting and shampooing and conditioning again! Seemed to work really well! My hair is so much softer and there were far less tangles! I may try this again when I next wash :D

DuckyDot
October 10th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I'm now mainly using CWC since Co'ing doesn't really Clean too well for me. I'm really loving loving loving loving loving the banana condish form body shop so my hair is very happy. :)

KittyLost
October 10th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Those of you who CWC and chemically dye your hair I was wondering if you could help me.

When I dye my hair, when washing it out I add a little shampoo to my scalp to rinse the colour off my scalp, and it's not harmed my colour as it tells you just to rinse and add conditioner in the instructions. I was wondering if my new routine would be possible and not effect my colour.

I was planning on dying my hair red, and once I have rinsed the colour out do a CWC as normal after rinsing the dye, would this effect the dye?

swivelhop
October 10th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I tried CWC for the first time and.... my hair below the ears is amazingly shiny and smooth (ok its not really smooth its still fluffy). Above the ears... its its normal disaster. Not sure what to make of this yet, just more information to throw out there.
1. Cheap conditioner below ears
2. Shampoo scalp
3. Better conditioner on all.

SpinDance
October 11th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Swivelhop, you say your scalp is 'its normal disaster', but I'm not sure what that means. I understand the still fluffy part, as I have that, too, although less now that I'm oiling more. Can you explain what you mean by disaster? Maybe some of us have had similar disasters and found an answer? :)

swivelhop
October 11th, 2010, 02:10 PM
My hair does not like being clean, it in fact only looks good super dirty. So above the ears the hair was 'clean'. Fluffy frizzy mess.

SpinDance
October 11th, 2010, 03:16 PM
My hair does not like being clean, it in fact only looks good super dirty. So above the ears the hair was 'clean'. Fluffy frizzy mess.
How often do you shampoo? I've also got frizz, and am trying lots of different things to figure out what my hair 'likes'. I use very diluted shampoo 2 or sometimes even 3 times a week. The other days I just put it up, or as I have found out in the last couple of weeks, I can do CO type 'washes' and it does OK that way without drying the ends too much.

I've been getting best results with very watery shampoo, in small amounts, only on my scalp. Oh, and for the last few weeks my experiments have included putting on the first conditioner basically from an inch or two off my scalp, not just from the ears down. I never used to put conditioner that close to my scalp, but the change in techniques to CWC and oiling has changed what is working. Now I'm testing with conditioning from the top down for both 'C's.

swivelhop
October 11th, 2010, 04:12 PM
SpinDance
I'm used to washing once a week :o. Its gross but the hair doesn't look good until day 5. I'm really working to get it up to two or three times a week. I don't know if its 'dry,' the ends and roots feel and act the same. The ends are a little better really, they clump sooner and don't frizz.
I actually tried out CWC to get rid of a conditioner that shouldn't be near my scalp for irritation reason. (need to make some dent in the stash of not-it products).
Last thing that worked was a super-heavy coney conditioner that no longer exist from root-to-tip and don't rinse out. It just takes a ton of firepower to weigh this stuff down.

EDIT: The photoshoped looking shine of CWC is pretty cool tho.

torrilin
October 11th, 2010, 08:33 PM
SpinDance
I'm used to washing once a week :o. Its gross but the hair doesn't look good until day 5. I'm really working to get it up to two or three times a week. I don't know if its 'dry,' the ends and roots feel and act the same. The ends are a little better really, they clump sooner and don't frizz.
I actually tried out CWC to get rid of a conditioner that shouldn't be near my scalp for irritation reason. (need to make some dent in the stash of not-it products).
Last thing that worked was a super-heavy coney conditioner that no longer exist from root-to-tip and don't rinse out. It just takes a ton of firepower to weigh this stuff down.

EDIT: The photoshoped looking shine of CWC is pretty cool tho.

What are you defining as "looks good"?

It sounds like "good" to you is straight hair, and what you actually have is some form of curly hair... so washing as often as you think is "right" might not be good for your hair at all.

SpinDance
October 12th, 2010, 08:08 AM
swivelhop, it does sound like you may be a curly. Have you tried some of the curly techniques to bring it out? I'm just wavy, so while I get frizz, I don't have enough curl to curl, just look messy and frizzy when I have tried curly techniques.

torrilin
October 12th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Heh, and I only started to see that I have wave at all by using curly techniques.

Part of that is my natural waves seem to start around shoulder length, and part of that is a lot of the techniques I learned to deal with my long hair were classic straight hair stuff. As a teen, wide tooth combs and finger combing were teh debbil, coz my hair would tangle like crazy. I'd get told a lot "you're using too much conditioner", and as a kid I was encouraged to blow dry.

Cutting out the blow dryer came first. Then more conditioner, and more finger combing. Still no wave... but CWC and some oiling experiments finally let my hair retain enough moisture for waves and less floaty staticky mess. And finally tangles are not trying to take over my life. JOY!

(but I can see how if your hair ideal is the flat ironed look that my hair is delighted to do if I comb it out wet, being wavy, wurly or curly would feel like death... for me the ideal hair is hair I don't have to fuss with and obsess over)

swivelhop
October 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks all -
I've tried the curly routine, but I only have two loose spirals (in front like they were set on jumbo rollers). The rest has no curl or identifiable wave to it (1c ish?). It might be a good start to find a way to get 'a little clean' in terms of lint/sweat without uh being degreased as if I was an engine.

I don't really expect anyone to trouble-shoot it. I just have to plough through some of my stash and try to find something new that works.

I know many here do many different routines. I myself was just brought up with 'wash hair once a week.' When I thought about it however I'd never wear the same shirt all week. Let it drip sweat, dry and uh wear again? Its not for me, even if it makes the hair look better.

LisaMonster
October 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I tried CWC for the first time this morning, and my hair is very happy about it.

I oiled last night, and slept on it, then washed using the CWC method this morning, and bunned it for the day. Tonight, when I took it out, I had the most gorgeous curls and waves, it's so soft and happyyyyy. Hoorah!

Henrietta
October 13th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I tried CWC for the first time this morning, and my hair is very happy about it.

I oiled last night, and slept on it, then washed using the CWC method this morning, and bunned it for the day. Tonight, when I took it out, I had the most gorgeous curls and waves, it's so soft and happyyyyy. Hoorah!

I am glad it works for you:) I do oiling-C-W-C too and it works great for me.

SpinDance
October 13th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Heh, and I only started to see that I have wave at all by using curly techniques.

Part of that is my natural waves seem to start around shoulder length, and part of that is a lot of the techniques I learned to deal with my long hair were classic straight hair stuff. As a teen, wide tooth combs and finger combing were teh debbil, coz my hair would tangle like crazy. I'd get told a lot "you're using too much conditioner", and as a kid I was encouraged to blow dry.

Cutting out the blow dryer came first. Then more conditioner, and more finger combing. Still no wave... but CWC and some oiling experiments finally let my hair retain enough moisture for waves and less floaty staticky mess. And finally tangles are not trying to take over my life. JOY!

I also have a challenge getting and keeping my hair moisturized enough. With the results I've been getting I think that once I have all post-LCH hair that it will be much better than the pre-LCH lower section that I'm currently dealing with. The bottom part is getting better, but I think much of it will just have to grow out before I will know what I've really got!

I don't really expect anyone to trouble-shoot it. I just have to plough through some of my stash and try to find something new that works.

I've been doing this sort of trouble-shooting on my hair for quite a while now, and am sometimes shocked at how much I'm learning about stuff I've had all my life!

Congratulations, LisaMonster. My hair took longer to get soft and be happy, but for the last month it's been happier than ever before. CWC and some alternating CO's from time to time, are really working for me.

Henrietta
October 16th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Is that really bad when the host of CWC thread cheat? Really? (Please, say 'no'.)
I did CO yesterday. I wanted to bear shedding to give my hair extra moisture. But there was no shedding at all! I remember why I gave up with CO and switched to CWC. I felt like loosing tons of hair every washing. And now I took a risk and it looks like my scalp isn't like "I hate conditioners" any more. Or maybe it's just one case. I will see.

SpinDance
October 19th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Is that really bad when the host of CWC thread cheat? Really? (Please, say 'no'.)
I did CO yesterday. I wanted to bear shedding to give my hair extra moisture. But there was no shedding at all! I remember why I gave up with CO and switched to CWC. I felt like loosing tons of hair every washing. And now I took a risk and it looks like my scalp isn't like "I hate conditioners" any more. Or maybe it's just one case. I will see.

I vote No! :) And I don't think it's cheating, either. The whole point is to figure out what works, and one thing I 'knew', but have had to relearn with my hair is that nothing stays the same.

I didn't have good luck with CO washing when I first tried it last year. CWC worked great, as it was just adding the first 'C' to my existing routine. I washed usually 2 times per week. Going that long between CO washings was just not nice. Didn't feel good, didn't look good. I needed the CWC to make things right.

For the past 3 weeks I've done much more frequent washings, most of them CO, with CWC 1 or 2 times per week, depending on what it felt like it needed. I don't know if the differences are in my hair as the condition and moisture content improve, more oiling or less cones, but the CO is actually working for me part of the time. I still need and enjoy the CWC, but I'm able to stretch the times I use shampoo by adding more CO cleanings in the middle. I'm not trying to leave this thread and go to the CO one, by any means. I don't think my hair would like it and I think that I need the shampoo to cut the excess oils and any build up of sebum.

Henrietta
October 22nd, 2010, 08:25 AM
All in all, I stay here:D I will be throwing CO between CWC twice a month. It's too expensive and during the second COing in a row I noticed shedding. So things haven't changed that much. I am happy with CWC anyway:)

Lunakitty
October 22nd, 2010, 09:09 AM
Does coconut oil - wash - condition count?

Cleopatra18
October 22nd, 2010, 09:29 AM
Henrietta,I have been CWC-ing every other day with great results,But I found that the scalp and upper part of my hair (basically where i apply the shampoo) gets very dry and frizzy the next day while the length is extremly soft and nice. Do you have any suggestions?
I have been using the herbal essences beautiful ends shampoo and conditioner.

Henrietta
October 22nd, 2010, 10:07 AM
Henrietta,I have been CWC-ing every other day with great results,But I found that the scalp and upper part of my hair (basically where i apply the shampoo) gets very dry and frizzy the next day while the length is extremly soft and nice. Do you have any suggestions?
I have been using the herbal essences beautiful ends shampoo and conditioner.

When you put the second C- do you put it from your ears down or on the whole hair? I had this problem too, all in all I have sulphates in my shampoo. I discovered that putting a condish on my scalp hair helps. If you find your hair greasy after that, use less condish. Sometimes just a "film" of conditioner on your palms is enough.
Thing that I found helpful as well- putting oil on my scalp. I used to put it only on my length for months. But it seems like my scalp also needs it.
The third trick- brushing before washing:D Distributing natural oils from the top of your hair down may be helpful too, even if you brush 15 minutes before washing.
Does this sound helpful?:)

Does coconut oil - wash - condition count?
Sure:) Some of simply do oiling-washing-conditioning, and the rest do oiling-conditioning-washing-conditioning:D OWC, OCWC... CWC has some sisters and brothers;)

Cleopatra18
October 23rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
When you put the second C- do you put it from your ears down or on the whole hair? I had this problem too, all in all I have sulphates in my shampoo. I discovered that putting a condish on my scalp hair helps. If you find your hair greasy after that, use less condish. Sometimes just a "film" of conditioner on your palms is enough.
Thing that I found helpful as well- putting oil on my scalp. I used to put it only on my length for months. But it seems like my scalp also needs it.
The third trick- brushing before washing:D Distributing natural oils from the top of your hair down may be helpful too, even if you brush 15 minutes before washing.
Does this sound helpful?:)

I do apply conditioner on my scalp and it keeps the hair soft for a couple of hours after the wash but thats it.
Brushing wont help much cause my hair and scalp are naturally dry i dont feel like there is anything to distribute if that makes sense.
I did apply oil 2 days ago,and havent washed yet.It seems to be doing fine and my hair still feels kind of soft but the frizziness and flyaways are killing me.Do you use any gels?
BTW how often do you CWC? Do you think every other day is too much?

Capybara
October 23rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Cleopatra18, if washing every other day works for you, go for it :) I have a very dry scalp (psoraisis :o), and find that oiling directly on my scalp the night before a wash works wonders.

Henrietta
October 24th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I do apply conditioner on my scalp and it keeps the hair soft for a couple of hours after the wash but thats it.
Brushing wont help much cause my hair and scalp are naturally dry i dont feel like there is anything to distribute if that makes sense.
I did apply oil 2 days ago,and havent washed yet.It seems to be doing fine and my hair still feels kind of soft but the frizziness and flyaways are killing me.Do you use any gels?
BTW how often do you CWC? Do you think every other day is too much?

I do not use any gels or smoothing products, though probably I should... See? http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac16/GwiazdkaNadia/Hair%20and%20hairtoys/Uporzadkowany/LWB22102010.jpgI have TONS of baby hairs sticking out. Most of people here don't, as I see their pics. I do. And I just giggle.
And I CWC every 3 days. Sometimes, though it's rare, I stretch washes if I need "day 1" hair for some special occasion and originally my routine doesn't fit into this occasion.
How is it going after using oil?

Cleopatra18
October 24th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I do not use any gels or smoothing products, though probably I should... See? I have TONS of baby hairs sticking out. Most of people here don't, as I see their pics. I do. And I just giggle.
And I CWC every 3 days. Sometimes, though it's rare, I stretch washes if I need "day 1" hair for some special occasion and originally my routine doesn't fit into this occasion.
How is it going after using oil?
Your hair is so shiny! The problem is that the small hairs around my hair line are coarse and not baby hairs like other people,so it's really ugly when they stand up,LOL.
The rest of my hair is feeling soft actually.I haven't washed the past 4 days and my hair seems to be absorbing the oil more and more leaving only soft hair with no greasiness so YAY!
You have been very helpful :flowers:

KittyLost
October 24th, 2010, 01:39 PM
My hair is loving CWC after over a month :) However my ends seem a little dry lately, well they feel it maybe a little crunchy? I can't really describe it haha.

After a search through the boards I was wondering if this is because I'm using a coney conditioner? Both my conditioners have cones because I'm struggling to find no-cone in england but I haven't given up my search yet :)

I'm going to start adding in a clarifying shampoo until I can go no-cone though. This should be a good temporary fix.

SpinDance
October 25th, 2010, 07:34 AM
KittyLost the crunchiness could be due to the cones. I eventually found that to be the case for me and have been using Suave and Tresemme without cones for several months now to good effect.

Cleopatra18 it may take months for regular oiling to make a more permanent change in hair texture. That's what I've found, anyway. YMMV, of course. My hair used to feel coarser and somewhat stiffer, but the change to no-cones (which I never thought I'd do) and regular oiling has smoothed it and it's better these days than ever before. I've got a few hairs that always stick up/out when they are short. One lovely is right on top of my head and will stick straight up in the air if I'm not careful until it is about 2.5 inches long. Oh joy.

I guess we all have things we just have to learn to deal with regarding our hair.

BeautifulBella
October 25th, 2010, 07:49 AM
my scalp gets extremely grimey bc I put a lot of moisturizer on my scalp so CWC is the only option for me.

xpeacelovekoala
October 25th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I CWC'd for the first time ever today.

I think I'm in love. Lol.

My hair is so shiny and manageable just after one go at it! I think this is definitely the method for me. (:

rags
October 25th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I've used CWC with an occasional CO thrown in for a while now. I have the classic "hair is dry, scalp is oily" thing going on, so it works very well. I like to add CO's when either I need extra moisture (middle of winter) or I've been to the gym or done something to get my hair icky and it's not time to shampoo it yet. Otherwise I end up with the frizzy scalp hair someone else was talking about (if i shampoo too often). Before I found LHC I just thought that was normal! :D

KittyLost
October 26th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Thank you SpinDance, I have just invested in Tresemmes new natural range conditioner that contains no silicones :) After two hours searching shops it was the only conditioner I could find without any! I'll save my coney conditioners for the first C, then it'll just wash out with the W and then no cones for the second C.

Superdrug has also started selling coconut oil in a tub so it's been my saviour store of the day :)

SpinDance
October 27th, 2010, 08:34 AM
KittyLost, thanks for saying that you plan to use the coney stuff in the first condition. I hadn't really thought of that as a way to use up what I have without having the issue of tangley ends. I'd like to use up what I have, maybe diluted it will do OK for me without the side effects. I've found Tresemme at Walgreens, although I think I've seen it at Target, too. I don't get out too often so haven't figured out the best places to find things yet.

Good to hear coconut oil is available a few places. I got mine at Whole Foods in the cooking oil section although they also had some hair and body oils in the hair and lotion sections.

isbmlamloi
October 27th, 2010, 09:40 PM
CWC was the first change to my hair regimen that I added when I joined here, and I've been loving it! I get in the shower, wet my hair slightly, then add my conditioner (Dove's Intense Damage Therapy) from ears down. I turn around and wet my scalp, then wash my scalp using shampoo - Lush's Jumpin' Juniper shampoo bar. I rinse, then I grab more of the same conditioner, re-apply to the ears down, and (carefully!) gather my hair in my hand and secure to the top of my head with a claw clip.

Tonight marks the very first time I've oiled - with EVOO to start, though I will probably buy some coconut or jojoba oil the next time I'm at a drugstore. I have a CWC planned for the morning!

SpinDance
November 1st, 2010, 09:21 AM
isbmlamloi, CWC was my first routine change as well. It was (and still is) thrilling to me how much it helped. I was much slower to try oils. At first I only used the conditioner from the ears down, but now after reading about and trying CO and finally getting some success with it I'm putting the conditioner on the entire length, then use very diluted shampoo on my scalp, rinse it all, then condition again.

Personally I didn't have any luck with olive oil, but others are working well. I'm not good at portion control with coconut oil and shea butter, so I use them for heavy oilings overnight (or longer, schedule willing). Jojoba, Beldaran's Oil, Nighblooming's Anointing Oil, and several others work well for me. Just tried sweet almond oil Saturday, left it on till this morning and it worked really well. I didn't get any of the crunchiness I get from putting coconut oil on dry hair, and it is still nice and soft today after washing.

lotahair
November 1st, 2010, 09:44 AM
I make my own conditioners and shampoo by mixing brands like aussi curly and whatever else is cheap with essentail oils and shea for a deep conditioning once a week alternating with a wash then condition. I stick to keeping things organic to get the best out of my treatments that way i know what im putting on my skin The best shampoo for me is Dr Bronners Castile soap mix in your fav oils doesnt strip and really lathers up my thick kinky hair and one 6 oz bottle last months and its only 6-7 dollars going to 3 months now and bottle is still not half empty

isbmlamloi
November 1st, 2010, 03:34 PM
I don't think I could go CO. My roots get oily quite fast, which I can keep in line very easily with shampoo. The problem I was having was that the shampoo also stripped oil from my ends, and thus they were getting dry and brittle. CWC solved this problem by protecting the ends from the shampoo. :)

I bought a jar of coconut oil near the end of last week, and so far I'm loving it. No crunchies for me. Different hair, different stuff, I guess!

Cleopatra18
November 3rd, 2010, 05:13 AM
those who detangle conditioner-soaked hair,do you do it in the first C or the second one?

SpinDance
November 3rd, 2010, 08:27 AM
those who detangle conditioner-soaked hair,do you do it in the first C or the second one?

I detangle in the first C, but make sure it stays that way through the 2nd one. I have an update on using coney conditioners in the first C to use them up after finding that non-coney works better for me. It didn't work so well for me. First let me say I never expected to go cone-free. I always thought my hair liked cones because it gave me nice slip in the shower and right after. I didn't connect cones with the dryness that I got after it was no longer wet, nor with the stiffness or tangles it sometimes got, especially after wash day. I thought it was just due to my hair being dry and somewhat coarse. So I'd put a coney serum on hoping for more slip, which helped a little, so I thought it was all working. I know that many people like and use cones with great success. I had thought I was one of them. Until I did the actual experiments and found out my hair does so much better without. Strange. That's what the experimentation phase of LHC is all about, though, learning what does and doesn't work. Now I just need to get those coney things out of my shower and get to the store to for more cone-free stuff! O.o

chelles2kids
November 26th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I tried CWC for the first time and.... my hair below the ears is amazingly shiny and smooth (ok its not really smooth its still fluffy). Above the ears... its its normal disaster. Not sure what to make of this yet, just more information to throw out there.
1. Cheap conditioner below ears
2. Shampoo scalp
3. Better conditioner on all.

Try diluting you're shampoo with water before adding it to you're scalp in step #2 & see if this improves the problem. :flower:

chelles2kids
November 26th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Now I just need to get those coney things out of my shower and get to the store to for more cone-free stuff! O.o

I've found that 'coney, unsuitable for my hair conditioners, are excellent as shaving lotions.;)

Starlight1986
September 22nd, 2011, 02:58 PM
I tried CWC for the first time today and think the result is nice. My lengths and ends have always been sooo dry. Now after CWC they're still dry but not that much and they look and feel much better. More shiny I think. :) I'm happy so far and will go on with that method to find out how my hair reacts to it...

kimberlyjoy
September 22nd, 2011, 03:17 PM
I guess you can count me among the CWC group. I started a few days ago, just using what I already have on hand: Garnier Fructose Long & Strong conditioner & Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo. I really thought that I was saving my length by only shampooing my scalp, but I'm amazed at how much softer my ends are after only a few days of CWC. We'll see how it goes.

YepLilly
September 22nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Count me in as another CWC fan. I started doing it as soon as I joined this site about a month ago and I think it has helped. With the usual WC method, my scalp looks good but my length feels dry on the first day; then some days later, my length looks great but my scalp is already oily.

CWC solves that problem by cleaning the scalp and moisturizing the length :D I alternate between sulfates and non-sulfates and that seems to help too.

racrane
September 22nd, 2011, 06:36 PM
Talk about an old thread resurrected. :)

Anyway, I alternate between CWC and CO. My hair has never been better. :)

Airmide
September 22nd, 2011, 06:42 PM
I think I'm actually closer to oil, CWWC than anything about now lol. I usually oil up my ends, then slather my length to around waist with conditioner, then get in the shower and shampoo my scalp, rinse, shampoo scalp again, rinse and then condition everything. I was doing CO but after stretching washes significantly I felt my hair got cleaner with the WW added in. I use VO5 or lately I've been experimenting with SLS free, and have found Nature's Gate Pomegranate Sunflower to work pretty well.

I only do this every 2 weeks, or sometimes stretch further than that to 3 or 4 weeks.

AngelDella
September 22nd, 2011, 06:53 PM
I've been a CWC fan since I started reading this forum even before I joined. I wish I had known the difference it would make...I would have started this years ago!

I just now ordered some CV sample shampoo bars, though, and notice that most CV users don't use conditioner at all, and either follow up with a vinegar rinse or just water. Don't know how that's going to work out with me...pretty sure I will miss my conditioner. Maybe I shouldn't fix what isn't broken, but I was just curious about those bars :)

NightOwl26
September 22nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
Yay I'm glad this thread resurrected! :cheese: I never would have found/looked for it. I learned CWC on TLHC and it's the best thing ever! My length very soft and less fly-aways and my scalp clean! This is genius! My fine hair needs it. :)

Quahatundightu
September 22nd, 2011, 09:24 PM
I keep trying other methods but I always come back to CWC. It's moisturising for my fine hair but doesn't leave greasiness like almost every other method!

californiagirl
September 22nd, 2011, 09:48 PM
I think CWC is one of the best things I have learned here. I tried CO for about a month, and my hair was not too fond. But I have been doing CWC for over a year now, and my hair could not be happier!

Gilly
September 23rd, 2011, 04:37 AM
I think I am going to give this a go tomorrow morning, I plan on using Aubrey Organics Camellia condish, Matery Triate cream shampoo, then will probably use Garnier triple treat conditioner.
I find the Aubrey Organics conditioners that I have are too heavy so I think they will be fine as a first conditioner that I will wash out then I get to use them up rather than have them sulking in a cupboard!

skyblue
September 23rd, 2011, 04:57 AM
I did CO wash for quite a while and it worked really well for me, but lately I feel I need to shampoo just my scalp area to give me a bit more root lift as my scalp was starting to show a little more then I like but I have been able to now stretch my washes to every 7 to 9 days where as with just CO I might have been able to go maybe 5 days between washes, so I'm a convert lol CWC is working very well for me

Gilly
September 24th, 2011, 02:27 AM
OK, this morning I jumped in the shower and wet my hair then I applied some Aubrey Organics Camillia conditioner, smooshed it through all my hair, then I added some Mastey Triate cream shampoo, lathered up and rinsed, I then applied some Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner and left it on while I finished my shower then rinsed well.
My hair feels so soft and silky!
I deliberatly did not use anything else on it, no leave-in or anything and it honestly looks much more moisturised than it has in a LONG time!
This may well be a keeper!
I am going to read through the whole thread to make sure that I'm doing it right but to be honest I am stoked with the results!:cheese::cheese:

raishalini11
September 24th, 2011, 11:34 AM
May be I can a;so count myself in..though I use herbs (amla+shikakai+reetha) instead of shampoo. :D

I tried CO and herb washing independently but was not satisfied with the results. With herbs my hair was without shine with breakage despite of oiling beforehand and with CO hair was limp ..without volume.

Now I oil every night then wet my hair, apply cond on length..herb wash and then apply condish again all over. This way my hair not just remains soft but also clean without any trace of oil (I oil heavily :eyebrows:).

So far so good ..happy with this method and dont think can be without conditioner ever ..no matter what method I use to wash my hair :rolleyes:

Rybe
September 26th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I've been doing this for about a week now (which considering I was on an every other day wash routine means I haven't been doing it very long!) And I seem to be able to stretch the time between washings. I don't get why, I'm just pre-conditioning the length, how would that effect my scalp? :confused:

Today's the first day I've actually held off on the wash, I shower in the evenings so it's not worth the gamble to skip a wash then discover I'm a greaseball in the morning. Last I showered was Friday, and my hair got thoroughly manhandled yesterday and aloe gelled and braided (someone else did it, I can't braid my own hair to save my life, and don't own aloe gel :D) and today it looks pretty good, and my stick straight hair shows the greasies if you so much as look at it funny. Still gonna shower though, my scalp FEELS gross even if it doesn't look gross.

I guess long story short, so far I'm liking it. Still need to upgrade to a better shampoo/conditioner combo that isn't "volumizing", but what I have is fine, so I'm gonna use it up. I'm cheap.

Chetanlaiho
September 26th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I've been loving CO for the past eight months or so, but lately I've been shedding a lot more and I noticed that when I 'clarified' with an SLS-free shampoo, I seemed to shed less. I love the way CO makes my hair feel but lately I've just been feeling like it's not been working as well for me as it used to.

I'm thinking of switching to CWC to see if it cuts down on my shedding (which is really depressing) but there are hardly any SLS-free shampoos available here, and I'm pretty sure my hair doesn't like sulphates. I'd love to try the matching shampoo to my 'washing' inecto conditioner but that one too has SLS. I plan on diluting my 'poo anyway, so maybe it won't matter as much?

jennyjukes
December 10th, 2011, 10:03 AM
ive tried everything this past 2 year and nothing worked. yesterday i oiled with evoo then SMT'd. today i put on a conefree jojoba condish & shampoo'd with a sls (laureth) jojoba shampoo with wheat protein then added the condish again, leaving for a few minutes.

WOW my hair hasn't ever looked this good! deffo a keeper. im worried that i might be using too much moisture (my hairs virgin and wavy but still sorta dry). i shampoo twice a week, preoil before and SMT 1ce or twice a week

ladylowtide
December 10th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I use a cone free conditioner on my ends (tresseme naturals), then a sulfate free shampoo (loreal ever strong I think...), then I condition my ends again. I tried CO, well hardly tried, and the greasy roots were driving me crazy! Doing CWC allows me to keep my hair feeling clean and fresh while still keeping my ends from getting to dried out. My hair has never looked better.

Velvet Smoke
December 10th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Lately I've been using Timotei conditioner, with bog-standard Sainsbury's Honey shampoo. The honey conditioner I bought to match was awful, so thin and watery. Since I've been using Timotei my hair is really soft and silky...it makes braiding difficult!

gazelle
December 10th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I did CO wash for quite a while and it worked really well for me, but lately I feel I need to shampoo just my scalp area to give me a bit more root lift as my scalp was starting to show a little more then I like but I have been able to now stretch my washes to every 7 to 9 days where as with just CO I might have been able to go maybe 5 days between washes, so I'm a convert lol CWC is working very well for me

:) I was doing CO washes for several months. But I don't know why, at the moment I feel my scalp better with CWC washings with very diluted shampoo. Maybe I couldn't find a lighter conditioner for CO scalp washings. So I am a convert, too

Capybara
December 10th, 2011, 05:12 PM
:) I was doing CO washes for several months. But I don't know why, at the moment I feel my scalp better with CWC washings with very diluted shampoo. Maybe I couldn't find a lighter conditioner for CO scalp washings. So I am a convert, too

I've tried CO, but my best results have been from CWC, so it's what I stick with too :)

arcane
December 10th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I used to do no poo (years ago) but my hair became so damaged that I needed to change as it wouldn't look clean no matter what I did. Then I did CO only for a few years. Eventually I just started using shampoo and conditioner, but this past summer I started doing CWC with the products I had on hand, and I've noticed a huge improvement in my hair.

Currently I use Live Clean's wave enhancer shampoo and conditioner, with an occasional clarifying shampoo (about every 3 or 4 washes). After I shampoo I also use a protein treatment as my hair desperatly needs it. I just started using the Live Clean products (I finished up my last thing of random conditioner) so I don't know for sure if it works perfectly, but my hair feels very nice today so I believe I'm going to stick with it.

uptosomeone
December 10th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I love CWC! I've tried CO but it doesn't clean my hair. With this routine (CWC one day, WO the next, CWC the next, etc) my hair looks so much better than it ever has!

Miss Catrina
December 14th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I love CWC! I've tried CO but it doesn't clean my hair. With this routine (CWC one day, WO the next, CWC the next, etc) my hair looks so much better than it ever has!

Same. My hair was just a sheet of grease when I tried CO.

prettyhairisred
December 14th, 2011, 05:26 PM
finally! A real explication for CWC!! I've askd a few people to no reply. I think I will try :)

Henrietta
December 16th, 2011, 08:23 AM
An useful trick for those of you who wash your hair with your head upside down:
after applying the first C braid your hair quite tightly to avoid shampoo getting inside the braid, but also not very close to the scalp, so you'll be able to reach the whole scalp with your fingers or palms. It helps me to prevent the poo foam from touching my length.
Maybe for those who wash standing straight it could work too :)

Gothchiq
December 16th, 2011, 08:58 AM
CWC is awesome. My hair feels soft now, never did before. It is cleaned without being stripped. I have taught CWC to my boyfriend also (he has waist length virgin hair).

XcaliburGirl
December 17th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Right now I S/C with sulfate- and 'cone-free shampoo and conditioner. I'd like to get back to using 'cones on my length/ends, but I am trying to figure out how to keep the 'cones away from my scalp and still have the top of my head conditioned.

Does anyone do C1 with a 'coney conditioner and C2 with a 'cone-free conditioner? I wonder if the 'cones would block any benefit from the second C or react badly with it and get clumpy or something.

jennyjukes
December 20th, 2011, 01:05 PM
i was going to ask the same thing.

#1 - how long do you keep the first conditioner on for
&
#2 - does anyone use cones as their first or 2nd?

anikadear
December 20th, 2011, 01:16 PM
What I do is condition my length, ears down with Organix BKT conditioner (I use the BKT treatment by the same company since my hair loves protein), then shampoo with the shampoo from the same line and company on my scalp, then when I condish the 2nd time I use the same condish as the first time because it works best for my hair that way. I try not to use too many different products at once so I can better keep track of what works best. It's done wonders for my hair!

I also tried CO and it just wasn't going to work as I have psoriasis, every so often I have to use a psoriasis shampoo or my poor scalp is feeling it.

Everything I use has cones. My hair loves cones so I'll keep using them in moderation.

Curly_jas
December 20th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Wow, i tried this CWC method today for the first time and i have to say my hair seems to have loved it! I used a Sulphate free shampoo (I don't always though) and then two different conditioners and my hair felt so different to how it normally does after been shampooed. The ends felt really soft as well. I'll definitely be testing this again to see if i have the same results :)

Gothchiq
December 20th, 2011, 04:11 PM
First conditioner goes on, gets massaged in, rewet hair under showerhead and immediately apply shampoo, lather, rinse all out, apply second conditioner and use a shower comb to work it in (my hair is coarse and dry, cones are fine but I don't need them) then rinse about 75&#37; of it out, squeeze water from hair, apply a few drops of whatever oil I'm using, comb through to distrubute oil, that's it.

gothicchick
December 28th, 2011, 06:37 AM
i've just recently started CWC, Before i just used to shampoo twice then condition, first shampoo always clarifying, second F.A.S.T shampoo, then F.A.S.T conditioner. With the CWC washing should i be shampooing twice?

Gothchiq
December 28th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Unless your hair is crazy oily, I'd think one shampoo would be sufficient.

patienceneeded
December 28th, 2011, 10:43 AM
CWC is condition, then wash, then condition again...so you would only shampoo once. I use a light conditioner first and let it sit for a minute then re-wet my head and apply shampoo. I usually dilute the shampoo in a squirt bottle and then apply it to my scalp. I scrub my scalp and then rinse everything. I apply a heavier conditioner from the ears down and leave it while I do other shower-type-things. I rinse again and am done. My hair loves this routine! I do not use sulfates or cones, so build-up is not a problem. I don't use any product on my hair either, just a light leave-in conditioner by Giovanni (I use about a dime-sized amount) on my ends and 3-4 drops of 100&#37; Argan oil.

holothuroidea
January 2nd, 2012, 04:14 PM
I have a question!! Or maybe a couple.

I've been doing CWC for about a month now and it works great. I use Yes to Carrots pampering shampoo and conditioner. They are sulfate, cone and protein free and I like them a lot but I think my hair might need some protein so I want to try incorporating it into my routine.

Does anyone use protein in their routine? I have some VO5 Kiwi Lime conditioner that has hydrolized collagen in it so I was hoping to use that before buying something else. Should I use it as the first or second conditioner?

holothuroidea
January 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
Oh, boo! Nobody replied and now is time to wash my hair. Super sadface!

I'm going to use the protein conditioner second and report back once it is dry.

holothuroidea
January 2nd, 2012, 10:40 PM
I am happy to report excellent results. Great improvement in hair texture and strength. Now the trick is figuring out how often to use the protein conditioner. Also, VO5 is not my first choice for a conditioner (lots of junk in that stuff), can anyone recommend a simpler or more "natural" conditioner with protein?

Yes to Carrots makes a protein filled leave-in. I'm tempted to try it because the ingredients are good and I've been pleased with them so far but I don't know how I'd work a leave-in into my routine.

bunzfan
January 3rd, 2012, 04:38 AM
I tried co washing for a year because i thought it was the best thing for my wavy hair but i noticed when ever i clarified my hair always looked so much better.

I have been doing cwc for about a month and i am amazed my hair seems so much happier my shed rate is practically zero and it used to shed loads when i was co washing but, my question is my roots seem really dry were i put the shampoo i tried putting a little bit of conditioner on it after my shower but it left it slightly lank would i be better just combing it to smooth the hair down??

Renate
January 3rd, 2012, 05:25 AM
I have two questions about CWC.. Must the shampoo be sulfate free and must the conditioner be cone free? And must the shampoo be diluted?

vintage88
January 3rd, 2012, 06:01 AM
I changed to CWC a few months ago and it has made a huge difference to my hair. I can't ever imagine going back to regular shampooing and conditioning, the extra conditioner before I shampoo has made my hair much softer and I get less tangles :)

XcaliburGirl
January 3rd, 2012, 06:45 AM
I have two questions about CWC.. Must the shampoo be sulfate free and must the conditioner be cone free? And must the shampoo be diluted?
I don't think any of those are necessary for CWC. In fact, I think the "standard advice for beginners" article says to try CWC with your current shampoo and conditioner as a first step.

Though, if you use 'cones you might need to shampoo the length of your hair once in a while to prevent or remove build up.

Renate
January 4th, 2012, 05:16 AM
I'm scared to try CO, I feel it won't work... My hair was never really dry, my scalp has never itched, I think my hair doesn't mind about SL. I probably should try, though...

I'm thinking about doing CWC. You condition the entire lenght of the hair in the C, right? But that's is a problem for me, because my hair lasts only 2 days at best without going greasy if I condition more than only my ends :/ I can't use silicone-free conditioner because I can't find one without them! Can someone help me?

I don't think any of those are necessary for CWC. In fact, I think the "standard advice for beginners" article says to try CWC with your current shampoo and conditioner as a first step.

Though, if you use 'cones you might need to shampoo the length of your hair once in a while to prevent or remove build up.

Thank you! If anyone else desires to answer, feel free!

holothuroidea
January 4th, 2012, 08:08 AM

I don't think any of those are necessary but cones do cause some build up so you'd have to shampoo/clarify the length of your hair once in a while. How often depends on your hair.

I'm scared to try CO, I feel it won't work... My hair was never really dry, my scalp has never itched, I think my hair doesn't mind about SL. I probably should try, though...

Why change if your hair likes what you're doing now? Of course it's fun to try new things but if it's not fun and you're not having any dryness or damage then why bother?

What is SL?

I'm thinking about doing CWC. You condition the entire lenght of the hair in the C, right? But that's is a problem for me, because my hair lasts only 2 days at best without going greasy if I condition more than only my ends :/ I can't use silicone-free conditioner because I can't find one without them! Can someone help me?

Thank you! If anyone else desires to answer, feel free!

The idea of the first C is to protect the length of your hair from the shampoo. If your roots don't like conditioner then don't put it there!

As far as finding a cone free shampoo, I'm not sure. I see you live in Brazil and I have no idea what's available there. You could try searching the members for longhairs in Brazil and send them a visitor message or PM to ask them.

Renate
January 4th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Why change if your hair likes what you're doing now? Of course it's fun to try new things but if it's not fun and you're not having any dryness or damage then why bother?

Well I want to have my hair at it's best shape possible, so I'll try whatever sounds good to me.. My hair is alright now, but what if it could be better? If I don't try just because it's already good, then I'll never know...

What is SL?

Sorry, I forgot the last S. I meant SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate).

As far as finding a cone free shampoo, I'm not sure. I see you live in Brazil and I have no idea what's available there. You could try searching the members for longhairs in Brazil and send them a visitor message or PM to ask them.

After I try COC and see the results I'll do what you suggest, if needed. Thanks!

Renate
January 4th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Just did a CWC wash. Nothing better or worse than just regular wash-condition. Actually, I think it made my ends slightly dryer... :confused:

holothuroidea
January 4th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Just did a CWC wash. Nothing better or worse than just regular wash-condition. Actually, I think it made my ends slightly dryer... :confused:

Do your conditioners contain any protein?

Renate
January 4th, 2012, 04:29 PM
After some time, the ends are actually better! :) There is improvement, then.

When I joined LHC, I started using a much smaller amount of shampoo and saw great improvement. In my last wash, I used too little shampoo and my hair felt greasy, as if I hadn't wash it. The ends were good, though. And today I protected the lenght with conditioner, and the ends show improvement. Little, but still, improvement. So, I guess my problem with my dried ends is the sulfate!

In my next wash, I'll try to protect the lenght even more. Let's see what this will result :)

QUESTION: Will oiling my ends right before a wash (I can't do it overnight) protect them from the shampoo?

Do your conditioners contain any protein?

This is the formula of the conditioner I used:

AGUA DESMINERALIZADA, ALCOOL CETOESTEAR&#205;LICO, DIMETICONE, CLORETO DE CETIL TRIMETIL AM&#212;NIO, FRAGR&#194;NCIA, CORANTE C.I.19140, METILCLOROISOTIAZOLINONA/ METILISOTIAZOLINONA, CORANTE C.I.15510

It's in Portuguese, but the words are very similar.
There are water, alcohol, cones, chloride, fragrance and coloring.

holothuroidea
January 4th, 2012, 04:45 PM
After some time, the ends are actually better! :) There is improvement, then.

When I joined LHC, I started using a much smaller amount of shampoo and saw great improvement. In my last wash, I used too little shampoo and my hair felt greasy, as if I hadn't wash it. The ends were good, though. And today I protected the lenght with conditioner, and the ends show improvement. Little, but still, improvement. So, I guess my problem with my dried ends is the sulfate!

In my next wash, I'll try to protect the lenght even more. Let's see what this will result :)

QUESTION: Will oiling my ends right before a wash (I can't do it overnight) protect them from the shampoo?

This is the formula of the conditioner I used:

AGUA DESMINERALIZADA, ALCOOL CETOESTEARÍLICO, DIMETICONE, CLORETO DE CETIL TRIMETIL AMÔNIO, FRAGRÂNCIA, CORANTE C.I.19140, METILCLOROISOTIAZOLINONA/ METILISOTIAZOLINONA, CORANTE C.I.15510

It's in Portuguese, but the words are very similar.
There are water, alcohol, cones, chloride, fragrance and coloring.

Let us know how it goes!

SpinDance
January 5th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Renate, putting some oil on the ends right before washing has worked OK for me, but of course you'll need to test with your hair to see how it does. One thing I found was that it took several months for my ends to start to have shine after starting to use oils. It was hard for me to figure out the right amounts, and what routine works best for my hair. Less is more, which I find hard, because I want more results faster, but instead I got more oily hair until I figured it out. I find it helps a lot to put a tiny bit of oil on my hair just after taking off the towel after it was washed, too. This helps to seal in the moisture that is in the hair from washing.

I see from your ingredient list that you are using 'cones, so you'll need to be careful about buildup. Nothing wrong with cones, you just need to understand what does and doesn't work for you. In my testing I found that I'm getting better results using oils without cones, but only you will be able to figure out over time what does and doesn't give the results you want.

Renate
January 6th, 2012, 05:13 PM
You guys! :bigeyes::pegasus:shudder::cheese:

My ends are even better! I protected the lenght the best I could, but only applied conditioner do the ends, not the lenght. My head isn't greasy and the lenght is soft and smooth, and the ends are better than before.

One wash won't save them from years of sulfates, so they aren't as good as the lenght, but now I know what the problem is :)

Renate, putting some oil on the ends right before washing has worked OK for me, but of course you'll need to test with your hair to see how it does. One thing I found was that it took several months for my ends to start to have shine after starting to use oils. It was hard for me to figure out the right amounts, and what routine works best for my hair. Less is more, which I find hard, because I want more results faster, but instead I got more oily hair until I figured it out. I find it helps a lot to put a tiny bit of oil on my hair just after taking off the towel after it was washed, too. This helps to seal in the moisture that is in the hair from washing.

I see from your ingredient list that you are using 'cones, so you'll need to be careful about buildup. Nothing wrong with cones, you just need to understand what does and doesn't work for you. In my testing I found that I'm getting better results using oils without cones, but only you will be able to figure out over time what does and doesn't give the results you want.

I'm not sure it will make much difference applying oil before the wash, I think I'll stick with just oiling the hair.. Not sure, yet. I'm still trying things..

I'm also not sure about build-up, because I don't apply conditioner to the lenght, just the ends. Cones work ok for me :) Sulfates are my kriptonite :p

Renate
January 6th, 2012, 07:42 PM
My ends after the wash:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9474&pictureid=122922

I'm never using sulfates again!!

Renate
January 9th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Update: After my SECOND wash protecting the lenght my entire hair is the softer it has ever been. It feels like my 10 year old sister's virgin hair.

I can't believe I spent my entire life damaging my hair with sulfates... I would actually think my hair is dry.. But it is normal.

PrairieRose
January 28th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I am interested in this thread. I am going to look into it. I was WO for a few months but I am now in search of a new routine. CO seems to make my hair stringy like the WO did. Maybe this is what I'm looking for. :)

Amber_Maiden
January 29th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I am interested in this thread. I am going to look into it. I was WO for a few months but I am now in search of a new routine. CO seems to make my hair stringy like the WO did. Maybe this is what I'm looking for. :)

I alternate between CO and CWC, and it works wonderfully! I always dilute the shampoo as well.

jtsck
January 29th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I just started CWC (yesterday was my first time) and I am really hoping it will work well. I diluted my shampoo and really concentrated on keeping the it off my length. My hair feels dry today but I didn't use my normal -cone hair gloss afterwards.

I do think the concept though and am going to keep going with it. I am using the same S&C that I was using before and when I use it up I am going to switch to different ones. Not sure what though!

patienceneeded
January 29th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I love CWC! I wash mostly with non-SLS shampoo, but do occasionally use a sulfate shampoo. I always dilute the shampoo though, no matter what kind I use. I use a heavy-moisture and/or protein conditioner first and let is sit for about 5 minutes or more, then use the diluted shampoo and rinse everything completely. For my second "C" I use a coney conditioner (love the cones, love the "slip" and leave it in for just a few minutes, rinse again and done! I've only gone back to the cones in the last few weeks. I was cone-free for about 6 months, but missed the slippery cone feel and being able to run my hands through my hair. So, back to cones I am... Love it!

PrairieRose
January 29th, 2012, 09:55 PM
I was thinking of using jojoba oil on my ends either a hour or so before a wash or the night before. Then I want to use a diluted non sulfate shampoo on all of my hair followed with a conditioner on my ends. Would that be CWC? Is shampooing all of my hair ok or do most people only do their roots? I'm afraid if I shampoo my root only I will get a stringy look to my length.:hmm:

Amber Maiden ...Thanks, I may try CWC with CO in between or maybe WO in between. Not sure yet.:)

Lissandria
January 30th, 2012, 01:14 AM
I alternate between CO and CWC, and it works wonderfully! I always dilute the shampoo as well.

This, exactly. I cannot exclusively CO, but its great for an alternate, moisturising method to clean my hair. And I always dilute my shampoo when I CWC. Love CWC its a great place to start if you're new to LHC, too.

MonaLisa
January 30th, 2012, 01:19 AM
CWC - one of the first things I've tried, from here..
Totally hooked, there's no other way for me..since CO makes me shed.
I think you can't not like it :)

Amber_Maiden
January 30th, 2012, 06:37 AM
I was thinking of using jojoba oil on my ends either a hour or so before a wash or the night before. Then I want to use a diluted non sulfate shampoo on all of my hair followed with a conditioner on my ends. Would that be CWC? Is shampooing all of my hair ok or do most people only do their roots? I'm afraid if I shampoo my root only I will get a stringy look to my length.:hmm:

Amber Maiden ...Thanks, I may try CWC with CO in between or maybe WO in between. Not sure yet.:)

I think most people only shampoo their roots. When you rinse it off, the shampoo travels down your length cleaning it. I usually shampoo twice- but with diluted shampoo. I don't think shampooing your entire length is at all necessary. I think once you try it once (the just shampooing your roots and letting it rinse down your length), you'll be surprised at how clean your length becomes.

This, exactly. I cannot exclusively CO, but its great for an alternate, moisturising method to clean my hair. And I always dilute my shampoo when I CWC. Love CWC its a great place to start if you're new to LHC, too.

That's awesome!! :D I also love CWC. I think everyone should try it, at least for a while! Most people I think are surprised with the results.

PrairieRose
January 30th, 2012, 06:44 AM
I think most people only shampoo their roots. When you rinse it off, the shampoo travels down your length cleaning it. I usually shampoo twice- but with diluted shampoo. I don't think shampooing your entire length is at all necessary. I think once you try it once (the just shampooing your roots and letting it rinse down your length), you'll be surprised at how clean your length becomes.

Thanks, I will try roots only and see how it works out. :)

Amber_Maiden
January 30th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Thanks, I will try roots only and see how it works out. :)

Let us know! :)

PrairieRose
February 1st, 2012, 07:50 AM
I did my first CWC wash last night. Well really OCWC since I oiled first. WOW! My hair is so happy!:joy:I will definitely keep at this for awhile!:D

Amber_Maiden
February 1st, 2012, 12:42 PM
I did my first CWC wash last night. Well really OCWC since I oiled first. WOW! My hair is so happy!:joy:I will definitely keep at this for awhile!:D

Awesome!!! I'm so happy it worked for you too!!!:D

lunalocks
February 1st, 2012, 02:05 PM
I started CWC a few months ago when I first read about it here. What a wonderful difference it has made. I will never go back. I think CO would make the top of my hair too flat and stringy looking, but I think I may try that too, at some point. I also dampen the lower half with water, then conditioner about every other night and bun it for sleeping, Night before wash day I oil the ends with Neem oil. Then CWC the next day. It has been almost 3 months since my last trim and my ends are in the greatest shape, just S and D the few I find every week. I am soooo happy. Thank you, LHC!

jtsck
February 8th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I am in love with CWC. I have been just COing out my SMTs and I feel like my hair and scalp aren't as happy as when I do the CWC. I really diluted my shampoo as well and have been focusing on doing a good pads of fingers only scalp massage. My hair has gone crazy with softness!

Iolanthe13
February 23rd, 2012, 02:40 PM
Huh, didn't realise this was not the standard way of washing hair...I can't imagine what my hair would do to me if I didn't CSC!

wavykisses
March 8th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Hi everyone I'm looking for a mild sulfate shampoo for my CWC ventures. I tried in the past sulfate free but they didn't work for my hair, some of them have proteins or too many quats or other ingredients that didn't agree with my hair.

I'm thinking diluting a regular SLS shampoo, does anybody has any recs?, I was thinking trying
Loreal vive pro shampoo for color treated hair that is normal, this one:
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=160163&catid=183491

Miss Catrina
March 8th, 2012, 05:19 PM
The other night I was so excited to finally wash my greasy hair, I forgot to CWC... I just went straight for the shampoo. Oops.

MintChocChip
June 1st, 2012, 12:55 PM
I've tried this out the last few times I've washed my hair, and I've gotta say I love it! My hair feels so much better!

spookyghost
June 1st, 2012, 06:33 PM
I had two questions I wanted to ask and I forgot one already!

I want to try CWC and CO and I have no idea which one to do. I was all ready to re-try the CO tomarrow. I have done CO only once and my waves were gorgeous I tell you!:p But my hair also looked very limp and had a greasy look t it. And looked evern more damaged than usual. It just looked bad, not just a little greasy. So here I had these waves that I couldnt stop looking at but that was the only great thing about it. Even with the great waves I still looked like I had bad hygeine:eek:. Someone on the CO thead suggested a few things to me so I do think I will try it tomarrow. If that doesnt work than Im going to CWC.

My question-how long does all this take? I see some people leave in the last conditioner on for an hour or so. I have to wake up for work at 4am! The longest I can leave on any stage of CWC is maybe five minutes. Will this still work? I only wash my hair every other day.

Plus, Im still in that newbie-stage of does my hair like cones, sulfates, etc. How long did it take some of you guys to figure out if your hair likes the cones and sulfates? Or that your hair hated it? I just wish I knew what I was doing!

GreyFae
June 2nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
Im new to LHC and im going to try this method. I have done it a few times with good results. But totally forgot about it. My hair looks horrible right now. I figured it out finally. Its because i've been cone for a year and it sure doesnt work for me. Im going to get cone co, keep using my sls free s afnd use a sls shammpoo to clarify every few washes.

HintOfMint
June 2nd, 2012, 01:11 PM
I've actually modified my routine a bit to alternate a CWC wash with a sulfate-free shampoo and cone-free conditioner wash. I've found that small amounts of cones are good in my hair and that while cone-free conditioners can build up, the sulfate-free shampoo is enough to stave that off.

One rule though: never let a sulfate shampoo touch my length unless I am doing a once-in-a-blue-moon hardcore clarifying. It's good on my scalp but not on my length. Recently, I was running out of conditioner so I figured I could just concentrate the shampoo at the roots and then rinse it out and use the conditioner afterwards. BIG MISTAKE. My hair knotted up so bad I'm pretty sure I still have damage from undoing it even with conditioner! Note to self: no sulfates at the ends!

spookyghost
June 2nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
I've actually modified my routine a bit to alternate a CWC wash with a sulfate-free shampoo and cone-free conditioner wash. I've found that small amounts of cones are good in my hair and that while cone-free conditioners can build up, the sulfate-free shampoo is enough to stave that off.

One rule though: never let a sulfate shampoo touch my length unless I am doing a once-in-a-blue-moon hardcore clarifying. It's good on my scalp but not on my length. Recently, I was running out of conditioner so I figured I could just concentrate the shampoo at the roots and then rinse it out and use the conditioner afterwards. BIG MISTAKE. My hair knotted up so bad I'm pretty sure I still have damage from undoing it even with conditioner! Note to self: no sulfates at the ends!

How do you not get sulphates on your ends? I have no idea if this hurts my hair or not but I dont shower. I bathe in the bathtub. I will fling my hair over the bathtub and under the faucet when I wash. Our working shower is in the basement and I hate the shower down there. I will not use it ever. We have a nice basement, dont get me wrong, but its an older shower that needs updated and I just cant handle it. That has never bothered me because I love taking baths.

HintOfMint
June 2nd, 2012, 01:33 PM
How do you not get sulphates on your ends? I have no idea if this hurts my hair or not but I dont shower. I bathe in the bathtub. I will fling my hair over the bathtub and under the faucet when I wash. Our working shower is in the basement and I hate the shower down there. I will not use it ever. We have a nice basement, dont get me wrong, but its an older shower that needs updated and I just cant handle it. That has never bothered me because I love taking baths.

With CWC, your hair is slathered in conditioner when you shampoo your roots so your length is protected from being saturated in a sulfate shampoo when you rinse it all off. I'm sure some sulfates do touch the length (I'm exaggerating when I say NEVER let it touch the length) but the contact is minimized through the first leg of conditioning.

From my experience, sulfate shampoos dry out my length quite a bit and I always regret it when I don't use CWC and I'm not clarifying.

Ndayeni
June 5th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Ok, I feel like I'm just dense that I can't quite get how to only shampoo the scalp, and am hoping there's something simple and obvious that I'm missing here.

I've been trying this the last few times I've washed, but am having trouble figuring out how to just get the shampoo to my scalp/roots and not on the rest of the hair on the top/sides of my head, and especially at the back of the head where the hair is thickest. I get how to put the conditioner on to protect the length, but then when I get the shampoo lathere and diluted a bit in my hands I have a hard time getting it to the scalp and not just on top of the hair that's still exposed. I've tried parting and rubbing it on the part, but that doesn't seem to be getting much of the shampoo to my scalp, and and seems to get more on the hair that I'd like.

Any suggestions for what I'm missing/doing wrong would be appreciated.

spookyghost
June 5th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I have only CWC one time so far and what I did was put my first conditioner on dry hair not wet hair. From the ears up. I massaged it in and you wouldnt even know I put conditioner in because my hair was dry. I also did this on my oiled hair and putting the conditioner on dry hair took the oil out of my hair much better than if I wet it before. I dont know why it works so good but Im glad it did.

patienceneeded
June 5th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I had two questions I wanted to ask and I forgot one already!

I want to try CWC and CO and I have no idea which one to do. I was all ready to re-try the CO tomarrow. I have done CO only once and my waves were gorgeous I tell you!:p But my hair also looked very limp and had a greasy look t it. And looked evern more damaged than usual. It just looked bad, not just a little greasy. So here I had these waves that I couldnt stop looking at but that was the only great thing about it. Even with the great waves I still looked like I had bad hygeine:eek:. Someone on the CO thead suggested a few things to me so I do think I will try it tomarrow. If that doesnt work than Im going to CWC.

My question-how long does all this take? I see some people leave in the last conditioner on for an hour or so. I have to wake up for work at 4am! The longest I can leave on any stage of CWC is maybe five minutes. Will this still work? I only wash my hair every other day.

Plus, Im still in that newbie-stage of does my hair like cones, sulfates, etc. How long did it take some of you guys to figure out if your hair likes the cones and sulfates? Or that your hair hated it? I just wish I knew what I was doing!

It took quite a while to settle on a routine for my hair, but I finally settled on CWC. I do CO every once in a while, but CWC is my normal routine. I also generally don't use cones or sulfates, but am not too exclusive. I'll use cones and sulfates every so often. The main reason I avoid them is due to my eczema. The sulfates irritate my scalp and make it itch. The cones tend to build up without sulfates to wash them away. So, I mostly avoid sulfates and cones. I don't get too worked up over it though.

I do not do the super-long CWC that others subscribe to on this forum. I wet my hair in the shower, then apply my first conditioner (a light conditioner, usually) from my ears down, avoiding my scalp. I then make my diluted shampoo (put shampoo in a squirt bottle, then fill with shower water). Then I apply my shampoo mix to my scalp and massage it in, making sure to get my whole scalp clean. Next, I rinse everything (the conditioned length and the shampoo mix) well. Last, I apply my second conditioner to the length only. I shave my legs, soap, rinse my body, then rinse my hair until the conditioner is mostly rinsed. I wash my face, rinse again quickly, and am done. This whole process takes between 5-10 minutes unless I choose to make it take longer. I can be in and out of the shower in 5 minutes with this routine if I want. It works well for my hair, but isn't excessive.

patienceneeded
June 5th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Ok, I feel like I'm just dense that I can't quite get how to only shampoo the scalp, and am hoping there's something simple and obvious that I'm missing here.

I've been trying this the last few times I've washed, but am having trouble figuring out how to just get the shampoo to my scalp/roots and not on the rest of the hair on the top/sides of my head, and especially at the back of the head where the hair is thickest. I get how to put the conditioner on to protect the length, but then when I get the shampoo lathere and diluted a bit in my hands I have a hard time getting it to the scalp and not just on top of the hair that's still exposed. I've tried parting and rubbing it on the part, but that doesn't seem to be getting much of the shampoo to my scalp, and and seems to get more on the hair that I'd like.

Any suggestions for what I'm missing/doing wrong would be appreciated.

It may help if you use a small bottle with a squirt-type end on it and dilute your shampoo. This really works well for getting the scalp clean, while keeping your ends from the shampoo. I have a small travel shampoo bottle with a squirt-top on it that I got from Target. I pour some shampoo in the bottle (about a quarter's worth?) and then fill it with water from the shower. I shake it up to mix the shampoo with the water, then open the squirter-top and use that to get the shampoo/water mix on my scalp, instead of all over my hair. It works REALLY well. I have never noticed any problems (greasies, etc) while diluting shampoo, even when I was still using cones. I do not use sulfates or cones at all right now, due to some recent scalp issues, but CWC with a diluted conditioner has always worked.

Tisiloves
June 5th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Hi Girls, Guys and people of non-binary genders :waving:.

I thought I should check in here as there is no "Tisiloves' random heavy oil, 2in1, oil and condition washing method" thread (although if people want I could go off and make one):hmm:.

SpinDance
June 11th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I'm continuing my sort of combined CO/CWC style cleansing with good results. Still working out leave ins/oils, but that's a different thread. Since there seems to be some confusion about how to do CWC I figured I'd write up my current process. This is still underdevelopment and will change if or as I figure out the "perfect" routine. Basically I use the same procedure as I did when CO washing, except I added the partial rinse of my scalp/head and application of some extremely diluted shampoo in the middle.

My current routine is to wash my hair about twice a week. If I need to wash more than twice a week I'll CO. I detangle and remove sheds carefully before starting, wet it in the shower then apply diluted conditioner to my head. This is diluted about 2 to 4 parts water to 1 part conditioner. I don't measure exactly, just put some into an empty container, then estimate how much water to add to double, triple or quadruple the amount in the bottle. Mix it together and this lasts me for I guess a couple months. That diluted conditioner loosens the sebum and any oils plus starts to work down my lengths. Once I've worked the diluted conditioner in I'll put full strength or only 1:1 dilution conditioner on the ends and lengths. I finger comb this through, and continue to work in what is on my scalp. Then I'll duck my head under the shower stream a little, to rinse off just my head. Not completely, just mostly.

Then with the rest of it still slathered in conditioner I take another bottle in which I have extremely diluted shampoo and carefully squirt that onto my scalp around my head. About 1 part shampoo to 5-6 parts water. About 6 or 7 ounces of this dilution lasts me for several months. I work this onto my scalp. It is barely enough shampoo to lather, although there is less lather if it is dirtier than usual. It doesn't take much to do the job. I can feel it working, cutting the sebum. (Yes, I've tried extending washes and it just makes my hair feel and look lank and nasty.)

Once it is clean I rinse everything out carefully. Once it is rinsed I'll again apply conditioner, although it takes less since this isn't a cleansing application as much as it is a conditioning and moisturizing application. Sometimes I'll put it only on my ends and lengths, sometimes I'll use the diluted conditioner on my head as well. Depends on how my hair has been acting and feeling.

Most of my testing in the last year or so has been using Suave Naturals. These are cone free. I don't use the coconut because it has protein and my hair seems to be sensitive to that. With the exception of the Lavender & Lilac it mostly doesn't seem to matter which blend/scent I use, they all work pretty much the same. The Lavender & Lilac seemed to coat my hair when I used it for CO. I need to do some more testing using it for this CWC method to see if the shampoo in the middle resolves that odd feeling.

Other conditioners I've tried but are still in testing are some Garnier Fructis cone free conditioners including Triple Nutrition, a couple of Trader Joe's conditioners and some cone free V05's. White Rain conditioner is queued for testing as well.

dollyfish
June 11th, 2012, 02:25 PM
With CWC, your hair is slathered in conditioner when you shampoo your roots so your length is protected from being saturated in a sulfate shampoo when you rinse it all off.

Holy crap!! I decided to visit this thread again even though CWC has never "worked" for me (shampoo bar + ACV, or conditioner + ACV seem to be best for me) but now I realize I'd been doing it wrong...

I would condition my hair...rinse...shampoo...then condition again. What a dolt!!! :laugh: Now I guess I'll do a second trial period with CWC to see whether maybe this IS the proper method for my hair. Ha!

henné
June 11th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Holy crap!! I decided to visit this thread again even though CWC has never "worked" for me (shampoo bar + ACV, or conditioner + ACV seem to be best for me) but now I realize I'd been doing it wrong...

I would condition my hair...rinse...shampoo...then condition again. What a dolt!!! :laugh: Now I guess I'll do a second trial period with CWC to see whether maybe this IS the proper method for my hair. Ha!

LOL, you're not the only 'dolt' here ... I've been doing exactly the same, but it's worked for me so far :) The only customization I did was that I do two diluted shampoo washes between the two C's :) So mine is in effect a CWWC. I will also try to do it the 'correct' way and see what the results are haha. I normally read up a whole bunch before trying something new, but I really thought this one was a no-brainer ... well, haha, nah. :D

Hollyfire3
June 11th, 2012, 02:30 PM

Dolt...i like that word...anyways, yeah try CWC the correct way and see if it works, good luck! I CWC sometimes if I feel I have overwashed my hair (i do so more often then I'd like...my pooor hair!)

silverthread
June 11th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Hello, all CWCers! I have done the CWC method two times now, and I really like it. However, I have found one drawback. I lose a lot of hair--probably 200 hairs or more--when I CWC. Has anyone else had this experience? How do I get the great results without all the hair loss?

SpinDance
June 13th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Hello, all CWCers! I have done the CWC method two times now, and I really like it. However, I have found one drawback. I lose a lot of hair--probably 200 hairs or more--when I CWC. Has anyone else had this experience? How do I get the great results without all the hair loss?

No, I tend to shed less with CWC than with CO. Perhaps you are reacting to the products you are using? Are they ones you have been using, or new?

lapushka
June 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM

Do you put conditioner on your scalp during the CWC process, or not? Some people do, others don't, but that might be it.

patienceneeded
June 13th, 2012, 11:31 AM

I actually shed less this way, but CO washing made my hair shed like mad! (Oil on my scalp has the same effect) Do you get the conditioner on your scalp? I condition from my neck down, then use a diluted shampoo in a squirty bottle, and rinse everything at once. I then condition again (a heavier conditioner) from the neck down and leave it there for a few minutes while I shave, etc. I turn the shower down to cool, rinse everything, wash my face, rinse again briefly, and am done. I can be done in 5 minutes, but typically take 10-15 because I want to.

dollyfish
June 13th, 2012, 11:39 AM

I second the idea that it might be due to the products you're using. Does a normal shampoo+conditioner wash do this? How about CO? It's either the products or the way you're washing, so I suppose the first thing to do would be to narrow it down...

And I JUST ran out of conditioner last night (when I mixed my first SMT :cheese:) so I'll need to run buy some before I can properly test this method!

silverthread
June 14th, 2012, 04:26 AM
Based on all your wonderful suggestions, yesterday I pre-oiled on dry hair with EVOO for 1 hour, then soaked my hair with water and did the first C with some Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree Conditioner (which my hair seems to like); then washed with diluted (7 to 1) Everyday Shea Vanilla Mint Shampoo (instead of the previous Mills Creek Jojoba Shampoo); rinsed well; then the second C was more of the Desert Essence; rinsed again; then rinsed with ACV rinse (2 qts water to 2 T ACV). Only lost about 50 hairs.

So, the reduced number of lost hairs is due to either: 1) switching to no-sulfite shampoo; or 2) no oil or conditioner touching my scalp; or both??

In any case, THANKS!!

LaFlor
June 20th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I need to try this again... I used to do this when I was growing out my perm. I'm interested to see how my hair reacts to it now :D

patienceneeded
June 20th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Based on all your wonderful suggestions, yesterday I pre-oiled on dry hair with EVOO for 1 hour, then soaked my hair with water and did the first C with some Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree Conditioner (which my hair seems to like); then washed with diluted (7 to 1) Everyday Shea Vanilla Mint Shampoo (instead of the previous Mills Creek Jojoba Shampoo); rinsed well; then the second C was more of the Desert Essence; rinsed again; then rinsed with ACV rinse (2 qts water to 2 T ACV). Only lost about 50 hairs.

So, the reduced number of lost hairs is due to either: 1) switching to no-sulfite shampoo; or 2) no oil or conditioner touching my scalp; or both??

In any case, THANKS!!

I have a TON of shed hair if I get oils on my scalp.

elfgirl
June 20th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I just tried CWC for the first time tonight! My hair is air drying now and is slowly starting to feel smoother as it dries ^_^

lilliemer
June 20th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Yes I second this, I did a deep oiling with coconut oil before working out last night and I lost about three times more hair than i normally do today. I wonder if the oil just makes it easier for the about-to-shed hairs to fall or if there is something else going on?

silverthread
June 21st, 2012, 04:48 AM

I think I have the same issue. I tried oiling my scalp with castor/almond oil for an hour before washing, a couple times, and both times I lost a lot of hair in the wash-condition phase. My hair felt great afterwards, but the hair loss scared me.

Mya
June 22nd, 2012, 07:38 AM
I'm using cone (and the other usual rubbish) free shampoo and conditioner, I'm stretching washes and doing CWC. I think I started like... two or max three weeks ago.

Now my hair feels thicker. Is it possible? Or it's just a feeling?

silverthread
June 22nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
I'm using cone (and the other usual rubbish) free shampoo and conditioner, I'm stretching washes and doing CWC. I think I started like... two or max three weeks ago.

Now my hair feels thicker. Is it possible? Or it's just a feeling?

'Tis possible. Mine did the same.

Covet
June 22nd, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hi, looks like I'll be joining this thread :)

I've been CO washing since 2009 but I was recently diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis and given Nizoral to wash my scalp with. So I suppose I may as well turn into a CWC-er.

Can you guys give me any tips on how to do this? And what is your routine? I've heard that some people use two different conditioners, why is this? Thanks :)