PDA

View Full Version : vogue-oil spill hair treatments

renarok
August 8th, 2010, 11:22 AM
http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2010/08/italian_vogues_controversial_o.html

Pumpkin
August 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM
:disgust: Now I have seen everything. Geez.

BunnyBee
August 8th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Eh, I like it. Fashion draws inspiration from everywhere. It is after all a form of art, and plenty of art has used themes from war, disasters etc, although renarok since you didn't leave a comment with your link, I'm assuming you want to gauge people's reactions before you pick a side :)

Drynwhyl
August 8th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I don't find it amusing... (this coming from a person who takes pictures of dead crows)
Next time, why don't they take pictures next to starving African children? It's so fashionable!

bridgetsgirl
August 8th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I dunno...my initial reaction was "Humans washed up dead on the shore, rather than animals, maybe that will prove disturbing enough to otherwise oblivious people" (keeping in mind that 11 people died in the explosion that kicked off the whole mess) I also like that the jewelry was recycled trash from the Gulf, rather than virgin material. (Not to mention the model on the cover has lovely long hair!)
Still, I'm a bit cynical, I hate it when people use tragedy for profit. I'd feel less so if a portion of the profits from this issue were donated to Gulf recovery efforts.

ghost
August 8th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I think the jewelry looks cool, and Kristen McNenamy looks bleak and beautiful.
People having been drawing inspiration from all sorts of things, even tragedy, for hundreds of years, and at least the jewelry is made of recycled material.
I don't think they're saying "oh, environmental disaster is so chic," although I can see how it might be interpreted that way. It would be great if proceeds from the jewelry or clothing in the spread (or better yet, the sale of the magazine that the feature came out in, since it's a lot more accessible) were used for helping the Gulf, though, since this is going to generate a lot of attention.

JenniferNoel
August 8th, 2010, 04:01 PM
It raises awareness in places and folks who normally would have a difficult time looking at it through the eyes of an environmentalist.
I believe it is art, as an open-minded artist myself.

eri401
August 8th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Art is supposed to be provoke deeper thought about the world. I get that you MIGHT see some social commentary here, but ultimately this just seems like shock value and a very cheap, "oooh this will be controversial!"

Ultimately, the problem is the medium. This isn't an art shoot. It is a promotional shoot for a fashion magazine, designed to showcase fancy expensive crap.

Then I have to ask....how is it "inspirational" to sell and promote thousand dollar dresses in a terrible environmental disaster that ruined many people's entire livelihoods? More like exploitative to me. I don't want to see models writhing around in fake oil while schilling designer clothes - to me, this distances the reality and depth of this tragedy. There are entire communities there that rely on fishing (and tourism) that will never be able to afford these clothes. Dead animals and devastation =/= your fashion accessory.

Artsy
August 8th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Cmmon, what kind of art asks you to buy designer clothes using other people's tragedy.

There are more pictures on this page. This is sad, it ust shows how removed those people are from real world.
http://tomandlorenzo2.blogspot.com/2010/08/vogue-italia-water-oil.html
________
Lamborghini Lm001 Specifications (http://www.lamborghini-tech.com/wiki/Lamborghini_LM001)

LittleOrca
August 9th, 2010, 01:27 AM
There's nothing wrong with using current events as a backdrop or inspiration for fashion. We get that. On the other hand, we know for a fact that if U.S. Vogue or any other U.S. fashion magazine featured an editorial based on some form of natural or environmental disaster that occurred in another country, the international press would skewer them for it - and rightfully so. The damage that the oil spill has done to the Gulf hasn't even begun to be measured yet, but most experts (who don't work for the oil industry) agree that the cost in wildlife as well as the financial damages to the region in the long term will be extensive. Based on that alone, we wish the idiots in charge of this editorial had taken a step back and rethought this one. It's stupid and it's offensive. Go sell your clothes using images that don't have to do with natural and economic devastation.

Agreed... Now, had they NOT been selling clothes, yeah I could see that being neat especially in a gallery, but in a magazine wanting you to buy their overpriced clothes? Tacky.

Othala
August 9th, 2010, 04:49 AM
This does not sit right with me at all. I think it's inappropriate and mis-guided.

bunnii
August 9th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Art is supposed to be provoke deeper thought about the world. I get that you MIGHT see some social commentary here, but ultimately this just seems like shock value and a very cheap, "oooh this will be controversial!"

Ultimately, the problem is the medium. This isn't an art shoot. It is a promotional shoot for a fashion magazine, designed to showcase fancy expensive crap.

Then I have to ask....how is it "inspirational" to sell and promote thousand dollar dresses in a terrible environmental disaster that ruined many people's entire livelihoods? More like exploitative to me. I don't want to see models writhing around in fake oil while schilling designer clothes - to me, this distances the reality and depth of this tragedy. There are entire communities there that rely on fishing (and tourism) that will never be able to afford these clothes. Dead animals and devastation =/= your fashion accessory.

This.

Those added pictures (and the OPs link) are frankly (and I really wanted to avoid this word) sick. Models lying on rocks covered in oil pretending to be dead birds is grotesque. It's not art in any sense of the word, in that it's designed to sell overpriced crap to people who think this is an ok thing to do. IF it ws being done to raise money/awareness i'd be all for it even in an art sense, but it's not it's to sell stuff.

Vile.

Slug Yoga
August 9th, 2010, 06:07 AM
"The designer, eco-artist Kathleen Nowak Tucci of My Sister's Art, gets her recycled rubber materials from two Gulf Coast towns (Pensacola, Florida and Atmore, Alabama), and said via e-mail that she doesn't think the Vogue spread glamorized the oil spill in any way."

Uh, the fact that it's done in a fashion magazine, as a fashion spread, with fashion models, kinda suggested glamorization to me. The medium is the message, right?

I don't find it amusing... (this coming from a person who takes pictures of dead crows)
Next time, why don't they take pictures next to starving African children? It's so fashionable!

You sound like my kind of person, I also have a fascination with dead birds. And crows. But even with my arguably morbid interests, this fashion spread is just... no.

florenonite
August 9th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I think the photos themselves are rather poignant in that they anthropomorphise the animals killed by the spill and raise the question: "If it were humans who were dying daily because of the oil spill, would people have responded differently?"

To sell clothing, though? That's despicable.

Kiraela
August 9th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I'm a goth - a card carrying, morbid, death obsessed goth. I'm also a gulf coast resident... and this photo shoot is seriously... Urgh. Offensive isn't the right word. Disturbing, maybe. Had the photos been taken as 'true art', in the name of bringing home the tragedy, then maybe I could understand. But when people I know have lost their livelihoods, and a good friend of mine is in the hospital due to air pollution directly caused by the oil... Using that to shill expensive clothes? Nuh-uh. Not cool.

Just think, if US Vogue had done a nuclear-power disaster photoshoot while the USSR was in the midst of dealing with the Chernobyl crisis. Or perhaps, in British Vogue - Indonesian Tsunami: watery fashions for spring? Would that be in any way acceptable?

Kiraela
August 9th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I think the photos themselves are rather poignant in that they anthropomorphise the animals killed by the spill and raise the question: "If it were humans who were dying daily because of the oil spill, would people have responded differently?"

To sell clothing, though? That's despicable.

That's something the news doesn't report very often, but people ARE getting sick, and probably dying due to the spill. They're just not externally coated with oil so it isn't dramatic.

Oil releases benzene, toluene, and a whole host of other fun, (deadly) gases/chemicals when exposed. Those chemicals are being floated in to shore on wind currents and making people very, very sick. It's not just close to the ocean, either. Wind currents are bringing the toxic gasses sometimes 50 or 100 miles inland.

bunnii
August 9th, 2010, 09:11 AM
That's another thing the OPs link now has a video, and they're using 'Underwater Love' by Smoke City. I'm not entirely sure if that's a good song to be using, where's the love for the people affected? And the animals affected? I'm probably being picky and am not easily offended but that's making this whole thing even more tasteless.

Also isn't one of the models, the one with the long grey hair, the one that we were talking about on here for being brave to go grey?

marzipanthecat
August 9th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I like the jewellery. I like the photo. If I had not been clearly told this was meant to be linked to the oil spill, I would not have guessed it.

So, to me, this is a tasteless cash in.

And yes, it does glamourise the oil spill. Bah.

florenonite
August 9th, 2010, 09:44 AM
That's something the news doesn't report very often, but people ARE getting sick, and probably dying due to the spill. They're just not externally coated with oil so it isn't dramatic.

Oil releases benzene, toluene, and a whole host of other fun, (deadly) gases/chemicals when exposed. Those chemicals are being floated in to shore on wind currents and making people very, very sick. It's not just close to the ocean, either. Wind currents are bringing the toxic gasses sometimes 50 or 100 miles inland.

That is a good point.

I should have clarified in my previous post that I was referring specifically to the oil-coated animals dying because that's what's being depicted in the photo shoot. I also wonder if maybe the spill would have been dealt with more efficiently (or prevented altogether) if the people in power had cared more about the marine life. This last bit is pure speculation, though.

renarok
August 10th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I think the photos themselves are rather poignant in that they anthropomorphise the animals killed by the spill and raise the question: "If it were humans who were dying daily because of the oil spill, would people have responded differently.

I shuddered when the model in the video was spitting/choking on the feathers. It is sick.

There is no mention of any portion of the profits of this fashion campaign being used towards the clean up.

I found it amazing that that model with her beautiful silver hair would allow oil to be smeared into it. She is a martyr to her profession.