PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain 5 strand braiding to me as though im a 2 year old?

Lassie
August 8th, 2010, 04:43 AM
or point me in the direction of a really simple instruction??

Apparently if i want to do it like a french/dutch on my self, im best of starting like i would start a french, with three braids, then add 2, then carry on??

katha
August 8th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Have you tried doing without "frenching" it first?
I'm not good at 5strand braiding. I find it easiert if I put all my hair in a ponytail and then seperate in 5 strands and braid. I tried doing it without the ponytail and got all confused. :D

Doing a french or dutch 5stranded braid would be impossible for me at this point, I think.

FrannyG
August 8th, 2010, 05:33 AM
First of all, I wouldn't start learning a 5 strand braid in a French Braid. It's best to get the fingering down for a single braid first, and then move into doing a French 5 strand.

I originally learned to do it in a half-up braid. Then I moved on to a full single 5 strand braid, then a French half-up and finally a full French 5 strand.

I'll tell you right now that it took me a week of daily practice before I had a 5 strand braid that was photographable. Here is how I learned:

Divide your hair as if you are going to make a half-up braid.

Step One: Separate your hair into 5 equal sections (well, as equal as possible).

Mentally number the strands from left to right: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

To make it easy, I'm going to always call the outer left hand strand 1, even if it has been moved from a different position.

Step Two: Keep strand 1 in your left hand. Now figure out a way to hold strands 2, 3, 4 and 5 in between fingers on your right hand. This will take some practice before it starts to feel natural.

Braid strand 1 under strand 2 and over strand 3. Now slide the new strands 1, 2, 3 and 4 in between your fingers on your left hand. Only strand 5 will be in your right hand.

Step Three: Braid strand 5 under strand 4 and over strand 3.

Repeat steps Two and Three until you're done.

So the pattern is 1 under 2 then over 3; 5 under 4 then over 3, repeat.

Here are the same directions in other words.

Outer left strand under middle left strand over middle strand. Outer right strand under middle right strand then over middle strand.

It's the fingering that requires the practice, and you may get impatient at first. At first signs of impatience, call it a day, and then try again tomorrow.

One day, you will suddenly "get it", and the muscle memory of how to do the 5 strand braid will be there. Before you know it, you'll be doing 5 strand French braids with no trouble.

When you do start a 5 strand French, yes you start with 3 strand for one braiding. Then you add another strand to each side and continue with the 5-strand pattern.

I hope that helped, even a bit. :blossom:

countryhopper
August 8th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Dreamweaver braiding website has great step by step tutorials for many braids. When I do a five strand, I repeat to myself "left- under, over. Right- under over". I think the trickiest part is getting your fingers to cooperate-- there will be a section of hair between each finger.

darkwaves
August 8th, 2010, 10:46 AM
The only way I could figure this out was to buy, read and use as a constant reference, Braid Your Own Hair, by Karen Ribble. This book -- it's US$7 -- is a great investment. (This should turn up on Google searches, or go here (http://www.braidedimage.com/Braided_Image_Hair_Braiding/Instructions.html).)

My first five-strand was French-braid style, and after a little initial confusion, it worked well. Every time I do one, though, I have to go back to the book!

Good luck.

Kristin
August 8th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I like Loepsie's video on YouTube. She does it on herself, so you get a better idea of how you should hold your hands. Good luck!

florenonite
August 8th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I like Loepsie's video on YouTube. She does it on herself, so you get a better idea of how you should hold your hands. Good luck!

Yeah, that's the only way I managed to learn it. Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz7FlauLlDE) the link.

Heidi_234
August 8th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Yeah, that's the only way I managed to learn it. Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz7FlauLlDE) the link.
:agree: Nothing's as good as a well done video tutorial. :D

VanillaTresses
August 8th, 2010, 09:28 PM
The best way of me to explain any 3+ strand braids to myself or anyone else is this: Think of it as weaving instead of braiding. That is, starting from right working to left, the strand on the far right will go "over, under, over, under...etc." until it reaches the far left. Then the new strand on the far right will do the same thing, in a woven pattern, starting with either over or under. If that strand was "over" last time around then it will be "under" on this time around. Repeat until the braid is finished. The only tricky part becomes how to hold on to all of the strands. I think that each person must have their own methods when it comes to that. :D

Lassie
August 9th, 2010, 04:09 AM
grrrr
so i have mastered doing it as just a braid - ie if i put my hair in a ponytail, but doing it french i just make a monumental muck up of it (and i can do french / dutch in my sleep)
frannyg and vanilla you simplified it perfectly thank you!!

And thanks heaps for the link - i have watched it a million times..
I WILL get there..
I AM NOT going to bed tonight until i do!

Angela_Rose
August 9th, 2010, 10:05 AM
If it's any consolation, dear, I learned how to four- and five-strand braid about three years ago and I *still* can't French braid with them.

deko
August 9th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I just use the dreamweaver braiding tutorials:
http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/5strand.htm

But because I'm an Official Hair Idiot I can't do anything but a simple three strand braid.
I hope that helps you!

FrannyG
August 9th, 2010, 02:11 PM
grrrr
so i have mastered doing it as just a braid - ie if i put my hair in a ponytail, but doing it french i just make a monumental muck up of it (and i can do french / dutch in my sleep)
frannyg and vanilla you simplified it perfectly thank you!!

And thanks heaps for the link - i have watched it a million times..
I WILL get there..
I AM NOT going to bed tonight until i do!

Lassie, you WILL get it, I have no doubt. I remember thinking that it was an impossible task, but eventually, once I got the fingering figured out, I did make that first 5 strand French braid. It was not easy for me, because I am really all thumbs. It just takes practice and patience. Unfortunately, even watching the best videos doesn't help you figure out the best possible fingering for you. Everyone's fingering is different.

I was serious though when I said that if you get frustrated, stop until the next day. You'll be surprised at how a fresh outlook and the gradual learning of muscle memory will change things every day.

If you can do the straight up 5 strand ponytail, then I guarantee you'll be great at doing the French 5 strand. Just be patient and don't burn yourself out with frustration, or you won't want to bother learning it anymore.