PDA

View Full Version : Short damaged to long, how should I have my hair cut...? x

Seagreen
August 8th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Hi Everyone,

I love this website and forum, thank goodness you exist.

My hair was fried after a Brazilian Blow*fry* here in the UK - it was supposedly a conditioning treatment - my beautiful thick hair was suddenly reduced to thin strands.

I do have a question: as my hair is longer underneath (base of neck) and has these disgusting shorter layers on top (they became shorter as I had the damage cut out) do I just keep having the underneath cut to meet the hair growing down, or bite my lip and have everything cut to the shortest layer ?

My hair has a natural wave and looks like a bowl-like bob, slightly longer than Renee Zelwegger's hair at the moment).

I understand the aim is for one length hair for maximum strength - as my hair is layered and shorter, I am not sure where to start in growing it long again...

Many thanks !
Seagreen x X x

cindy58
August 8th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Hi, and welcome to LHC!

Lots of us started with layers growing out. If you want to gain some length as quickly as possible so you can put it up or pull it back, just let it grow for awhile. That will give you some hair options. Then, if you decide you want to lose the layers, you can begin trimming on your own time frame. Gentle care goes a long way.

Or, you can stay short for awhile and even up the layers now. The only "right" or "wrong" way is how it feels to you. Some people like layers and keep them.

EvaSimone
August 8th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Hi, and welcome to LHC!

Lots of us started with layers growing out. If you want to gain some length as quickly as possible so you can put it up or pull it back, just let it grow for awhile. That will give you some hair options. Then, if you decide you want to lose the layers, you can begin trimming on your own time frame. Gentle care goes a long way.

Or, you can stay short for awhile and even up the layers now. The only "right" or "wrong" way is how it feels to you. Some people like layers and keep them.

Ditto this. I had damaged hair that I babied and grew out all one length. I ended up cutting the front parts to short layers because they became too damaged and now those layers have mostly grown out. So do whatever works for you, their is no one acceptable way. :flower:

FrannyG
August 8th, 2010, 05:38 AM
There are a lot of people with layer here who have them by choice. Having hair all one length is a personal preference.

That said, I agree with the above posters, and I suggest that you do what feels right when it feels right.

If the layers are really bothering you, then trim a centimetre or so from your length every 3 months, for example. That way you will be growing some and getting rid of your layers some.

You may feel that you want to cut to the length of your shortest layers and start fresh. Some people do that.

It's your hair. It's your choice, and don't think that there is really one set of rules for long hair. :blossom:

Isilme
August 8th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I grew out my hair that was damaged by dye and rough handling. I just babied it and had regular trims. Looking back I think it would have been a better idea to get a really good cut and then grow out, but that's easy to say now.

serious
August 8th, 2010, 05:48 AM
There are a lot of people with layer here who have them by choice. Having hair all one length is a personal preference.

It's your hair. It's your choice, and don't think that there is really one set of rules for long hair. :blossom:

This.

Welcome and happy growing!

GoddesJourney
August 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I had a fully damaged, layered head of hair. I cut off one layer to start with, let it grow, cut off another layer. Once I had grown out all the layers, I trimmed for awhile and kept it shorter than I liked, but it was up a lot. Recently, I put layers back in in an attempt to remove the last bit of damage. I almost got it all, so I will have to trim up those layers eventually. I decided that growing out layers is less painful than growing out damage, because I can't stand the tangles or that ripping sound when I comb and the ends break off. I also found the CO (conditioner only washes) helped me deal with the damage a lot and pretty much fixed my frizz problem. I have to use a heavy/oily conditioner because my hair is thick/coarse. Garnier Fructise Triple Nutrition is my favorite.

For now, I would suggest regular mini trims and micro trims on the layers to keep all your ends fresh. That will help you even it out over time while still keeping those layers fresh. I didn't hear about that until my layers were already grown out. I could've kept a lot of length.

Seagreen
August 9th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Dear Cindy, Evasimone, Franny, Isilme, Serious & GoddesJourney,

I can't thank you all enough for sharing your hair growing experiences - I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders (sadly not hair weight, yet!).

That there is not just one way to grow hair is also a relief - I'd been making this into rocket science in my head and driving myself nuts.

I am taking your advice and babying my hair back to life - with the micro-trims and just pinning up the top section so I don't look like I've regressed into mullett-ville (!)

Thank goodness this site exists... it's good to be among people who love their long hair and value it:)

With love and thanks
Seagreen x X x