PDA

View Full Version : help for grey hair

Naturalcures
August 8th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Are there any natural treatments for lessening or getting rid of grey hair other than coloring?

Nae
August 8th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Well, henna is natural but it is a sort of coloring. Some people use cassia to give their greys a golden hue. There are plenty of herbal "dyes" out there if you are looking for a more natural alternative. I would say make sure you aren't stressed and are getting proper nutriton, sometimes stress will cause a hair fall, making the greys stand out more. If you notice extreme amounts of premature greying, "extreme amounts" being more than 50% of your hair going grey before the age of 35-40 then a trip to the doctor is probably in order.

Other than that, how you grey and when you grey is pretty much genetically determined and as much as we may like to trade in our parents occasionally I think we are pretty much stuck with what they give us. I personally am just working on learning to live with my greys, it is a natural part of life after all.

MonaMayfair
August 8th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I agree with Nae, and on the subject of seeing your doctor, one of the symptoms of thyroid imbalance (and probably lots of other things I don't know about) is suddenly getting lots of greys.

This happened to me (my hairdresser noticed it on the crown of my head when I went for a trim, I have blonde hair so hadn't noticed it myself)
When my thyroid medication kicked in, the new hair was growing blonde again, though as my thyroid levels fluctuate and my medication has had to be changed quite often) I still get some greys.
Of course, they could now be unconnected with the thyroid, you can get grey hair at any age. I rather like them, as they make nice highlights in my henna'd hair.
But anyway, if you've SUDDENLY got lots of greys, it could be due to an illness.
If not, I don't think anything is proven to get rid of them.

Naturalcures
August 8th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks Nae for you advice. I think I will try henna along with some other herbs. I have been doing some research and have found boiled curry leaves mentioned a lot. I have a local source of fresh leaves and will probably buy some to use and some to freeze for later use. I have been reading a lot about proper nutrition too and am continuing to keep my diet balanced and under control.

I went through an imbalance of sorts a few years back MonaMayfair. I had a short experience with hair loss that lasted for about a month but stopped on its own, maybe stress or poor diet or both.