PDA

View Full Version : Flat Ironing in the Middle of the Night

x0h_bother
August 8th, 2010, 01:08 AM
I have the past two times I flat ironed my hair done so at 3am. I usually plan on flat ironing the morning after hours of sleeping on washed hair. But the past two times I have tried to go to sleep I can't. Then I get out of bed and not wanting to waste 30 mins of my morning flat ironing, I figure hey, I might as well get it done in the middle of the night when I have been fighting for two hours to sleep. I have also done this without the aid of my contacts (I wore them all day and don't want to put them back in). Is this healthy??? :eyebrows: I feel like I am doing something bad at night like eating chocolate :eek:.

ericthegreat
August 8th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Flat ironing your hair on regular basis is quite damaging to your hair. The heat from a flat iron is so high that it can cause any moisture that is in your hair to boil up, and that will wreck total havoc on your hair if you flat iron your hair often enough. You say that you have been doing this at 3AM twice now. There are sleeping pills you can take if you can't fall asleep. I myself have taken Ambien when I have had restless nights.

In any case, I really don't see the point of flat ironing your hair in the wee hours of the morning if you are only going to end up falling asleep later in the morning or later during the daytime instead. You'll just end up messing it all up anyway.

This is only a suggestion, but if you would like a healthier way to straighten your hair, then simply blow it out using a blow dryer and a brush. After you have washed your hair, divide it up into sections using hairclips and using a round brush on one section of hair at a time, put the brush under the section of hair you are working on and aim the blow dryer on the brush, just keep pulling your hair straight with the brush and follow it with the blow dryer.

Aredhel77
August 8th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Or as an alternative to blowdrying: I found this video on Youtube about how to doobie wrap the hair so it stays flat and I think you can sleep in it. It would probably save straightening. Although this lady's hair had been relaxed to begin with...?

I have never tried it, I like my wurly hair :), I just wondered whether it might be an option?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1bIHMpCrKA&feature=related

Aredhel77
August 8th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Sorry, this doesn't help you with the sleep issue LOL.

I guess if you're awake that early it's as good a thing as any to do to pass the time :).

Myself, I'd eat some chocolate, and to hell with feeling bad about it!! :eyebrows::chocolate::chocolate:

Azhtabak
August 8th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Hmm...maybe instead of flat ironing/blowfrying it, have 3am S&D missions? :P

TrudieCat
August 8th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I had to chuckle at your comparison to scarfing chocolate in the middle of the night! :laugh: I tend to eat entire blocks of cheese when I can't sleep at night.... :D

When I used to sleep on my flat-ironed hair, like for 2nd day hair, it would end up staying mostly straight with some flips and very minor, frizz-free waves at the ends. I actually liked it better that way.

amaiaisabella
August 8th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I always used to like ironing my hair the night before, so that after I slept on it, it looked naturally straight and not pin-straight as it did after the iron. I always had relatively straight hair anyway, though, so I'm not sure it would stay so nice for the curlier gals.

loralie
August 8th, 2010, 10:49 AM
For a second I thought you were doing it in your sleep- like how some people sleepwalk or sleep eat.... I was like WHOA that's some serious hair issues ;)

I haven't straightened in 8 months, and I used to do it every single day. For one, I comb constantly with a wide tooth comb while my hair is wet and it makes it quiet straight- not flatiron straight, but straight with body and a teeny wave. I actually like it better than the stick straight hair on myself.

Also, I have a high powered box fan for the house that I use to blowdry my hair. It's just regular air so I'm not getting the heat damage either!