PDA

View Full Version : has anyone outsmarted their terminal length?

lastnite
August 7th, 2010, 07:44 PM
has anyone thought they reached terminal length but was able to increase their length? maybe a product or supplement jump started your growth? or your hair just seemed to stop growing from breakage you didn't notice, but then a change in routine helped it start growing longer again?

just wondering. my hair gets to between hip and tailbone and doesn't seem to get longer. the ends are thin at that point, so maybe it is my terminal length. I don't notice more breakage than usual, but maybe it would be hard to notice if it was just the ends breaking? my hair is bunned most the time and I follow all the long hair advice, gentle combing, etc.. I would like to get down to classic length, or atleast between tailbone or classic so just a few inches longer (maybe another years worth of growth or so).

I thought maybe my growth was just slowing down, but it is growing because I hennaed my hair at the end of June and have a good amount of roots showing now.... so that shows how much growth I have, it just doesn't seem longer.

spidermom
August 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM
It could be that your hairs reach the end of their growth cycles at the length you seem to be stuck at; that's where your longest hairs shed out. You'd still see growth at your roots because you've got newer and shorter hairs actively growing.

McFearless
August 7th, 2010, 11:14 PM
People have reported success with MSM supplements. It has increased the growing phase for some.

HairColoredHair
August 8th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Terminal length doesn't mean your hair simply stops growing. :)

Each hair follicle grows hair for a set amount of time. This time changes when it is deprived of nutrients or damaged and becomes shorter. In the best conditions it grows to its full genetic potential. Terminal length occurs when hair reaches the longest length it can in the amount of time the follicle can grow. This single hair eventually sheds and another grows in its place. But many hairs on the head remain at terminal length, giving an effect of unchanging hair.

You can lengthen your terminal by making sure your follicles get all the nutrients, blood flow, etc that they need without being damaged... and lengthen your apparent terminal length by making sure the hair isn't breaking off as it's growing.

HairColoredHair
August 8th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Double post, sorry.

GoddesJourney
August 8th, 2010, 12:41 AM
All you can really do is try to not have breakage and try to maximize your growth speed while the hair is still actively growing. Supplements help some people. Scalp massages, exercise, and gentle hair pulling help some people. I don't know much about monistat but I've heard good things. It's really about trying to get the most out of that growth cycle without letting it break off.

<3OnHerSleeve
October 15th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I figured out "my terminal length" and I am not convinced. drastic difference between two attempts: sometimes my hair grows at about 1cm and sometimes 1.5cm depends on how I'm treating my hair.
now I used to have a lot of hair strands fall out but I don't think I do anymore. so I tried 60 strands with the 1cm and 50 with the 1.5cm.

for the least potential growth of my hair: 26 in is what I can hope to reach :(

BUT with the maximum potental growth of my hair: 47 in is what I can hope to reach :)
Now for only a slight variance between the digits, that is a substantial difference between the results. 21 inches is nearly 2 feet!

Looking at the success stories I have to wonder, do terminal lengths really not fluctuate? I think they do, esp depending on how healthy one is both inside and out.

ilovelonghair
October 15th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Looking at the success stories I have to wonder, do terminal lengths really not fluctuate? I think they do, esp depending on how healthy one is both inside and out.

They do fluctuate, well at least in my family. My mother could never grow her hair properly past her shoulders and when she reached late 30's it suddenly started getting longer. Eventually she grew it till the small of her back, but she kept it at that length, she probably would have been able to grow it longer.

Astarte_1980
October 16th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I am still waiting for it

ETA:

What I really mean is that I hope that I will archieve knee length.
I hope that I will never find my terminal length.

Tornerose
October 17th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Yes, I thought I had ht terminal at tailbone, but LHC has help me reach classic :D
Changing from brush to comb, chemicals to organic and keeping it up is what has helped me I guess.