PDA

View Full Version : Will Hair Stay Dry in a Swim Cap?

Michiru
August 7th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I know this thread is done in some fashion a few times every summer but I wasn't swimming then. I also looked under search but that was only about protecting hair, not keeping it dry. I have sighed up for two swimming classes this fall and would like to at least keep my length dry. I'm surprised that even with my tailbone length hair that the new swim cap I bought I still has extra room in the cap. Do you think it will be water tight?

SpecialKitty
August 7th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I've been a swimmer most of my life and I haven't found a swim cap that keeps hair dry. You might be able to keep most of it dry if you use a smaller sized cap, but that may be more damaging to your hair due to tugging and pulling. You could also try two caps - maybe a cloth one to hold your hair together, and a rubber one to go over that?

jane53
August 7th, 2010, 04:53 PM
No, swim caps don't keep hair dry.

spidermom
August 7th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Tried one; it didn't keep my hair dry.

LorelaiAmethyst
August 7th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Neither Lycra or Silicone caps will keep your hair dry. I've tried. The only way to keep your hair dry is to not submerge your head.

:)

Carolyn
August 7th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I've had a few over the years and none ever kept my hair dry. I've never seen anyone take off a swim cap and have dry hair. I wish there was a cap that could keep hair dry.

jasper
August 7th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Yeah, it seems like swim caps aren't meant to keep your hair dry- keep it out of your eyes maybe- and my pals who swim get their hair and the cap wet prior to putting it on!

LorelaiAmethyst
August 7th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I'm not sure about anyone else, but from experience, competitive swimmers use caps to reduce the drag that their hair causes. It's not made to keep your hair dry, just close to your head so you swim through the water easier. Plus, it keeps it out of the filter system. :)

I've always had to wet my hair to keep my cap even ON. If that's the case, wet your hair in the shower, even though dunking your head underwater may seem easier. :p

pepperminttea
August 7th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Lycra ones not at all, silicone ones partially (if you're lucky), but the short answer is definitely no.

sparkle'n'bling
August 7th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I put my hair up in a high cinnamon bun and use 2 swimcaps. Both are just ordinary cheap ?latex? ones. I cut the top part off one of them, and use it over the whole one to get better coverage. They stay on pretty well, and only let a little water in around the edges, so my length does stay dry. Hope that helps.

UltraBella
August 7th, 2010, 11:34 PM
My daughter is a competitive swimmer and we have never been able to accomplish keeping her hair dry. Not even with two caps. If you find something that works, let us know !!!

HairColoredHair
August 8th, 2010, 12:00 AM
No, not really... but soak your hair with clean water first, and it helps protect the hair from the chlorine water that does seep in.

glossyshine
August 8th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Your best bet for keeping your hair dry is 2 caps. Tuck your hair into a silicone cap, then cover that cap with an old-school, strap under the chin cap.

The chin strap really does make a difference.

StormiDoodle
August 8th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I have never been able to find a way to keep my hair dry in the pool, other than keep my head above water. *sigh*

Reminds me of a sign that was (still... this was probably mid-90s) up at a pool at a campground I stayed at-

Hippies and Beatniks MUST wear swimcaps in pool.

Michiru
August 8th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for all the responses. :) Has anyone tried putting a baggy under the swim cap?

Heidi_234
August 8th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks for all the responses. :) Has anyone tried putting a baggy under the swim cap?
Urgh. Nope. :nono: It's hard enough to put it on as it is. A baggy won't seal it any better so I doubt it will help.

I contacted Speedo regarding a swim cap that would be able to keep hair dry, and they said that none of their products are meant to do it, but they might develop something like that in the future (of course!).

I used to swim 2-3 times a week, and while in the past my hair would get worse noticeably after a while, this time I managed to avoid it by damping my hair and applying EDTA containing conditioner over it (and putting a well fitting swim cap on of course). I also used it to wash my hair after swimming, and never used any kind of shampoo. My hair remained as great as always, so I swear by it.

Sissy
August 8th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I use a lycra and silicone swim cap and my hair still gets a bit wet. It's hard to tell how wet with chlorinated water it gets though as I always saturate my hair with clean, cool water and coconut oil it before putting my swim cap on. When I get out of the pool and take my swim caps off my hair feels warm and wet. I have also noticed that I can't really use conditioner under my swim caps as it makes them slip off too easily! I've also had trouble with putting my hair into a bun as the swim cap doesn't want to stay up. So I just leave my hair down wet it, coconut oil it, and put it under the caps. That's seems to work the best for me.

Finoriel
August 8th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I use a regular sizes silicone swim cap, which sits pretty tight on my head and it keeps my hair dry above about ear level. So when I store the main bulk of my hair higher than that, Iīm fine. No diving though.
I think part of the problem may be that they are never really tight around the ears and if they donīt sit deep enough in ones face and at the nape. In the areas where the rim sits on a hairy skin part the water will seep in faster.