PDA

View Full Version : Some help from those with silver hair?

Evie
August 7th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Hi, I wonder if anyone with silver hair can help me with some advice for my mum?

She is starting to grow her hair, initially into a bob, and then maybe longer, she is 69 and her hair is still very thick and lovely. It is an amazing silver colour, and really shiny, but she is having some issues with discolouration - some of the very white strands take on a yellowish tone which I'm guessing is from her water.

What would be a good way of dealing with this staining? She does not want to use harsh dyes as she's finding grey / silver hair dries out easily (I've recommended coconut oil ;)) so if there are any natural methods people have found effective?

Thanks - I'd hate her to get fed up with it and cut again because of this, I'm trying to encourage her to grow it out again.... :)

florenonite
August 7th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Not natural, but you can get purply shampoos for white/grey hair that's discoloured; purple is the opposite of yellow on the colour wheel so it neutralises it.

Evie
August 7th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Thank you florenonite, is there any way you can wash this discolouration out, rather than just neutralising it? :confused:

Deborah
August 7th, 2010, 08:12 PM
If her water is causing the staining, perhaps she could get a shower filter. It might remove whatever is causing the staining. Also, she could end with a citric acid or vinegar rinse, which she would not rinse out. Both of these help remove whatever chemicals she may be exposed to.

spidermom
August 7th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I cannot vouch for this because I have not tried it (no issues with hair staining). However, I have read that you can dissolve 4 aspirin in a pint of warm water and slowly pour it through the hair, massage, then rinse out with distilled water. You can probably find out more information with your search engine.

shawty
August 7th, 2010, 08:52 PM
According to this post: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51646

Hollyhock will remove yellow from gray. It even has a recipe and instructions!

Elenna
August 7th, 2010, 09:42 PM
To remove yellow maybe try white vinegar, citric acid (available at Mountain Rose Herbs), or the Malibu treatment. Baking soda, it is very harsh but can clean like crazy.

Maybe try a clarifying wash such as Neutrogena Anti-residue shampoo, Grandpa's Pine Tar Shampoo (recommended by ratgirldjh), or Aubrey Organics Calgena Fern.

Covering with violet or blue with Clariol Shimmer Lights (available at Amazon), or Mrs Stewart Laundry Bluing found at the supermarket.

Evie
August 8th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Oooh, thanks folks for all of the tips, I've passed on the info and she is going to give some of the suggestions a try. I shall report back with successes :D

Wind Dragon
August 8th, 2010, 10:14 AM
[...] or Mrs Stewart Laundry Bluing found at the supermarket.
A few of our salt & pepper sisters use just a couple of drops of this stuff mixed into their final rinse. Seems to work.

SurprisingWoman
August 8th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I haven't had any issues with yellowing but I have looked into some of the shampoos for silvers and things. If I ever needed something I would go with the Mrs. Stewarts laundry bluing first.

It's the cheapest and has long been used by silver hairs (like my grandmother) as a yellowing treatment.