PDA

View Full Version : Advice, recommendations, point me in the right direction, please?

cmnt831
August 7th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I need some help as I have no idea where to begin. I have lately been using this hair clip to secure my cinnabun: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4807&pictureid=78892
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4807&pictureid=78893

It distributes the weight of the hair so well, I can wear it for hours without getting a headache. Unfortunately, my hair has outgrown it and my hair sticks don't work as well and aren't as comfortable. I was wondering if there is another option for me that is similar to the clip I've been using. I got a set of three at TJMaxx a while ago and I've never seen them anywhere else. They're too small now in any case.

Any advice or steering me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. :flower:

Sorry the pictures are so huge. I don't know how to make them smaller. :o

In2wishin
August 7th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I need some help as I have no idea where to begin. I have lately been using this hair clip to secure my cinnabun:

It distributes the weight of the hair so well, I can wear it for hours without getting a headache. Unfortunately, my hair has outgrown it and my hair sticks don't work as well and aren't as comfortable. I was wondering if there is another option for me that is similar to the clip I've been using. I got a set of three at TJMaxx a while ago and I've never seen them anywhere else. They're too small now in any case.

Any advice or steering me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. :flower:

Sorry the pictures are so huge. I don't know how to make them smaller. :o

I have never seen a clip like that...looks interesting but I can't help you with this specifically. Anyway, if you are interested in going a different direction try the spin pins that Goody makes. They hold really well in my cinnabun without pulling. I also swear by the giant bobby pins (the ones that are heavy and 3" long). 2 of those will hold my bun for days without ever having to take it down or cause any pulling.

Ella Menneau P.
August 7th, 2010, 04:46 PM
A ficcare maxima would do the trick. I finally bought one and it's one of my favorite tools now.

cmnt831
August 8th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for your replies. :)

In2wishin, those spin pins sound like something interesting to try. Though, I'm generally hesitant to try new things - heh, it took me forever to figure out how to use hairsticks. :o Do the spin pins work kind of like hair sticks at all?

Ella, I looked on the Ficcare site and they have some really nice looking stuff there, too. How do you know you're getting the right size? I looked at the sizing chart and it seems to only go up to 2.5" ponytail circumference. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing? But they look like they would be easy to use like my current clips.

I'm sorry for all the newbie questions, I've just never really been into hair toys much at all; but, now I'm finding that they can make my hair a lot easier to deal with. :D

Thanks for reading! :flower:

Kristin
August 8th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I've never had a Ficcare, but those look similar to your out-grown clip. If you want something cheap, you could try bent knitting needles. I LOVE mine. They hold like a rock. Ketylo hair sticks are also nice, but you may not like those as they are pretty different from clips.

cmnt831
August 9th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I've never had a Ficcare, but those look similar to your out-grown clip. If you want something cheap, you could try bent knitting needles. I LOVE mine. They hold like a rock. Ketylo hair sticks are also nice, but you may not like those as they are pretty different from clips.

How are the knitting needles bent? What size do you use? I went to the Ketylo site to see their sticks, too. Pretty nifty. :) I wonder if the corkscrew shape holds better than my straight sticks? You're right, though, so far the Ficcare looks most similar and user friendly - at least for me at this point.

Phexlyn
August 9th, 2010, 10:06 AM
A Ficcare clip is very similar to what you've already used.
Maybe get a "fake" Ficcare first to see if it suits you?

If you want to secure your bun invisibly, I suggest hairscroos and/or Amish pins :) My buns are rock solid with those.

dfotw
August 9th, 2010, 10:30 AM
How are the knitting needles bent? What size do you use?

I bought some double-pointed 3.5 mm knitting needles (20 cms long), draped a towel over my doorknob, and bent them over the narrow part until I had over-sized Amish pins... and wow, do they ever hold my hair!

Couldn't you try using two of the clips you've outgrown, one on each side of the cinnabun? That's what I used to do with the claw clips I outgrew until I started buying hair-sticks...

Otherwise, the Ficcare seems what's more similar, although I couldn't tell you more because I don't have one...

Good luck finding something that works for you! :)

cmnt831
August 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Phlexlyn and dfotw, thanks for the suggestions. :) I foresee much experimentation in my hair's future. :p

I did try the double clip method that was mentioned. It looked kind of funny with the type of clips that I have.

Other than that, I guess I'm looking for something that is super easy and low maintenance. That's why I like the clips so much. The bent knitting needles seem like they could be a good solution, too.

And I'm still interested in all the ideas anyone might have. You never know which one will be "the one". :D