PDA

View Full Version : Deep Treatments

Prettyeyes23
August 7th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Hi everyone,

I see the term "deep treatment" on here fairly often, but I dont know exactly what it means. So...

What does it mean?

What is the process?

What are the ingredients?

What results do you see from it?

Thanks for your help!

chopandchange
August 7th, 2010, 09:42 AM
To me, it means putting something (in my case, conditioner) on my hair, and leaving it on for a long time. Longer than I would leave conditioner on in the shower. I think the reason it is called "deep" is because it is left on for a long time in order for it to deeply penetrate the hair shaft. Some people also use heat in order to open up the hair follicules and let the treatment absorb. So, those two factors (heat and the length of time it's left on) make it a deep treatment.

Everyone uses different things in their treatment; it just depends on what works for you and what your hair needs. I had dry hair yesterday, so I have done a deep treatment today which consisted of conditioner to which I added some avocado oil (for shine) and black treacle (for moisture).

Prettyeyes23
August 7th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks chopandchange. How long do you usually leave it on for?

chopandchange
August 7th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Umm as long as I can. Hours, if possible. Today I think I left it on for about an hour. I usually cover my head with a plastic bag to prevent leaks.

BlackVulture
August 7th, 2010, 12:09 PM
For me, it depends on the treatment. If it's a typical SMT, I vary it between an hour to all day, depending on what's convenient.
Other conditioning treatments I usually leave on for no more than 1-2 hours.

maxzeen
August 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Deep treatments for me can be anything from a SMT or just slathering a heavy conditioner on my head. I will usually put a lot on and put cling wrap on my head to prevent leaks, and i will wrap a towel around my hair (like a turbie twist) to try and keep the heat of my head in there. I usually leave it on from 1-3 hours - it just depends on what my schedule is that day.

Henrietta
August 7th, 2010, 01:54 PM
In my case deep conditioning/treatment means that I put on my hair things that I usually don't use because I don't have time. So it's not like "wash (CWC) and go" but I mix oils, heat them up and I keep them on my head for a long time. More that hour.
I also use coconut oil overnigt treatment before every washing, but I don't consider it as a deep treatment. It's my regular routine.

Igor
August 7th, 2010, 02:11 PM
By my own personal definition (Which I find fitting, LOL) it is to leave a conditioner in for longer than it’s indented for! :gabigrin:

Leavening a conditioner in for an hour when it’s “supposed to” be left in for 5 minutes

ETA: I usually leave it on for as long as it fits me :shrug: How much I have time for, until my neck gets tired or just until I get tired of the bulk of hair, conditioner, cling wrap and a hat

ghost
August 7th, 2010, 03:14 PM
A deep treatment is something extra-conditioning (it can even be just leaving on regular conditioner for a really long time) for your hair.

I favor using one of the following: a can of coconut milk, a half cup of mayonnaise (even though I hate it), one banana+ one avocado, one pureed peach+one cup water from cooking potatoes, or just a couple tablespoons of hot olive oil or hot coconut oil. I work the treatment into my wet hair and scalp, throw a couple shower caps and a towel over my hair, and leave it on for at least half an hour.

Prettyeyes23
August 9th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks for your help everyone :)