PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmmm.... Hair extensions!

Mariah!!
August 6th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Hey guys, I've been thinking about wanting more texture or color to my hair, especially in bohemian style braids (check the vid's I just made a thread about. I have links with all the fun bohemian hair style links in it that I love). I love the idea of adding ribbon or even some hair extensions that are a different color than my hair. Does anyone ever do this?

And all those who wish their hair was longer, do you ever add extensions? If you do COOL! If not, why? They are not too expensive on ebay and it seems like an easy out until your hair gets to the length you want it!!:D

JenniferNoel
August 6th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Clip in extensions have always been something I've used.
I generally use a couple colored ones here and there.
As we all know though, anything glued, sewed, tied, whatever, is nasty for hair.

pepperminttea
August 6th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I never use extensions, I worry a bit about where they come from (real and synthetic), but I do use ribbons now and then for a bit of colour. :) Habioku has a great vid here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDUPs4DUIWs) with several styles incorporating ribbon.

Katze
August 7th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I often braid different colored fake hair into my own hair to hide the new growth and add some funky color. It is quite easy and cheap to do so yourself.

I also made dread falls and wear them occasionally (not as often as I like - working mom of a toddler!). Here are some pics:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=218&pictureid=66943

more of the first time I did extensions recently (I did them as a teen and in my goth years too) from when I was pregnant - the dark blue went really well with my natural hair color:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=218&pictureid=32883

My hair is messy naturally so I am trying to maximize this and make it look bohemian, chic, 'messy-on-purpose' and not like I am approaching 40 and am just unkempt. :D For this, I have also switched to frequent 'cone washes and using product, as well as washing my hair more often.

I strongly recommend trying braid-in extensions yourself! That way you can be sure that your hair is handled gently. It takes a bit of practice but is really easy.

You have inspired me, before my henna gig tomorrow I am going to braid some extensions in again...I am thinking silver and black so I can wear my blue/green dread falls tomorrow...

KittyLost
August 7th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I bought some clip-in real remy hair extensions from ebay for a bargin of £15 in a gorgeous chocolate brown colour. They were for one night out for my friends birthday, and any nights out where I wanted to do something fancy with my hair or curl them and they were great! 20inches so they took my hair to just past BSL. They are great for doing fun things like you suggested and they were fun especially since the clip-ins are so easily put in and taken out.

My only complaint is trying to match your hair colour to the colour of the extensions! However if you're after different colours then you won't have that problem. :)

chrissy-b
August 7th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I bought clip in hair extensions when I first started growing my hair out. I used to think they were so long. Now, my hair is easily six to seven inches longer than the extensions. :)

LouLaLa
August 7th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I use some synthetic Revlon hair pieces on very rare occoasion (not very often now my hair had grown out, but Ive kept them incase I fancy changing a style with ease e.g. the clip in pony tail is great if im having a "bad hair day" or need to look professional and "salon" fresh even if I dont have time to do my hair.)

I once had three layers of weave glued in and id never do it again, it felt horrid, the weave eventually shifts and has to be tightened and generally the hair looks awful after a while. I did it at the time as my hair was short and id sorely regtretted cutting off my hair. So all in all no more "permentant" extensions, plus I woulndt use real hair anymore after seeing a documentary about it which wasnt very nice.

So in my experience clip in's are a fun, no commitment great way to try out or change your style and real extentions ie glue/sewn in are more trouble than they are worth e.g. matting, tension, traction alopecia, cost (in the £££'s), skill of hairdresser, scalp reaction, source of extensions can be dubious.

Good luck :)

BlackVulture
August 7th, 2010, 11:59 AM
White accent clip in extensions! I love them, they really add excitement to my hair, with little to no damage. And they're pretty inexpensive if you look in the right places, plus mine have lasted me for years!

mojavewolf1
January 10th, 2011, 06:28 PM
okay I am back! I had waist length hair when I left.I cut it into a severe A Line cut! Mainly because my husband passed and my hair was falling out from Grief..
I cut!
Now I am sorry I did ,miss my hair and hate the short...I am at that growing out stage where you cant do anything with it!
No style!
I went and bought hair clip=ons! They work great and make the growing out process not so painful.
But I am afraid they will ruin my own hair...I bought these real hair clip ons at Sallys ..
I also been going to a hair dresser who colors my hair and trims...something I never did! I always did my own hair when long with Henna and my husband trimmed for me once in awhile..
Please tell me what to do?! will I ruin my own hair with clip ins ?
Should I stay out of the salon again! I want my hair back...crying me.:(:poot:HELP!!!!!! I want my pretty hair back..I also started taking prenatal vitamins..to help it grow..Process seems so slowwwwww.

x0h_bother
January 18th, 2011, 06:45 PM
okay I am back! I had waist length hair when I left.I cut it into a severe A Line cut! Mainly because my husband passed and my hair was falling out from Grief..
I cut!
Now I am sorry I did ,miss my hair and hate the short...I am at that growing out stage where you cant do anything with it!
No style!
I went and bought hair clip=ons! They work great and make the growing out process not so painful.
But I am afraid they will ruin my own hair...I bought these real hair clip ons at Sallys ..
I also been going to a hair dresser who colors my hair and trims...something I never did! I always did my own hair when long with Henna and my husband trimmed for me once in awhile..
Please tell me what to do?! will I ruin my own hair with clip ins ?
Should I stay out of the salon again! I want my hair back...crying me.:(:poot:HELP!!!!!! I want my pretty hair back..I also started taking prenatal vitamins..to help it grow..Process seems so slowwwwww.
In my opinion, the clip ons shouldn't ruin your hair especially if you use them in the back toward your nape.
Do you want to grow out your dye? Your hair is short enough where the process may not be as painful as if you had really long hair. If you don't want to grow your dye, I would suggest if the salon makes you happy with what they do then keep dying it there.
As for trims, if you trim more than you grow you will not gain much length. So I would just make sure your stylist knows you are growing out and let them know exactly how much you want off.
I'm sorry to hear about your husband, I can understand the need to cut your hair after the grief you probably have been going through. :blossom: You will get the hair you want back, that's the good thing about hair, for the most part it grows! Maybe not as fast as we want, but it will in time.