PDA

View Full Version : Deep Conditioning Disaster!

Yamainu
August 6th, 2010, 09:16 PM
In an attempt to rid myself of dry, crunchy ends, I decided today to enter the wide world of homemade conditioner.

Ingrediants:

1 not quite mashed up banana
1 tsp of alo vera gel
1 tbsp of coconut oil

Directions:

Begin by mashing banana with a fork (best if you use an old chrismas mug as a container). Don't worry about those little chunks, they're important to the process. Attempt to mix in oil as best you can. Pop in in the microwave for twenty seconds to see if that helps. More mixing with the fork. Don't work overly hard at it, just until "good enough".

Attempt to put it in your hair over the sink. Get globs of banana all over your bathroom floor. Jump in the shower. Continue attempting to work globs into your hair. Give up when you've used half the mug and turn the water on.

Attempt to rinse mixture out of your hair. Make sure you work the globs into your tangles with vigorous scrubbing in an attempt to get them out. Shampoo once, twice, three times with your clarifying shampoo. The shampoo will remove the oil, making your hair squeaky clean - and, therefore, more stickable for the banana. Wash once with your coney shampoo. Decide that now is a good time to worry about hair dryness and begin slathering conditioner on. Notice this works slightly better at removing banana globs.

Grabbing a tiny towel, hold it up to your chest (do not dry off!) and run through the house to the living room to fetch your wide tooth plastic comb. Be sure and leave wet footprints - your carpet needed to be washed anyway.

Return to the shower, and slather on more conditioner. Begin attempting to comb the banana out. When your hair is reasonably tangle free, rinse. Add more conditioner. Comb our your hair. Rinse again. You may sit on the floor of the bathtub if you begin to grow tired. Continue process until your water has grown cold and your newly opened conditioner bottle is half empty. Take one final rinse, and turn off water to huddle under a towel while you wait for the water to warm up.

Get distracted by your husband coming home. Have your roommate jump in the shower to get ready for work (thereby using all the hot water you've so patiently waited for). Throw your hands up in the air, put on a bathing suit, and go swimming in the pool in the hopes that the chlorine will get all the last little bits out.

Resolve to never, ever experiment again.:cheese:

Speckla
August 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM
It's too late now but babyfood jarred bananas work best (if you try a next time). No gritty grossness leftover.

Coriander
August 6th, 2010, 09:22 PM
That is the funniest thing ever :lol:

I've had failed experiments before, but I don't know about bananas. :p How did it all turn out?

Meagan
August 6th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Bananna is soo hard to wash out of the hair, I tried it once and it was a disaster. It's messy as hell, and it left globs and seeds in my shower and in my hair.

heynormy
August 6th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I totally feel for you!!! Back when I was going through the experimental phase I used eggs in one of my homemade conditioners, and let me tell you...never use hot water to wash eggs out of your hair! Buy why? You guessed it. Scrambled eggs throughout my hair. Talk about a disaster!

ghost
August 6th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Hah! I've had similar banana experiences. There's nothing quite like picking bits of banana out of your hair...it looks so gross :S.

One thing I've found that helps is to use a banana that is already pretty ripe, microwave it until it gets really good and squishy, then throw it in a blender along with your choice of oil and something more readily spreadable than a banana (yogurt, coconut milk, conditioner, etc) and work that into wet hair. This is marginally easier to get out of your hair, and putting it on wet hair makes it easier to distribute.

heynormy -I've had the scrambled eggs thing happen, too D: Talk about things that would only happen to an LHC-er!

Jenn of Pence
August 6th, 2010, 10:08 PM
My first two SMTs ended up being stuck to my hair like rubber cement with little chunks left even after I shampooed, yum. But by golly, my ends felt nice afterwards. ;) I think my conditioner was too thick; next time I'll try to go lighter.

heynormy
August 6th, 2010, 11:25 PM
heynormy -I've had the scrambled eggs thing happen, too D: Talk about things that would only happen to an LHC-er!
It's only because we are so awesome!! :p

Artsy
August 6th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I often use banana for my egg masks, and for anything runny. I much prefer avocado, it's much easier to wash out, but the ripe ones are hard to find here. I use ripe bananas, the ones that have tiny back dots on them allready, but not completely black. They mesh up easy and are much easier to wash out. I use cone loaded condish and no shampoo usually for all of the chunky stuff.
Other than making the runny masks not so runny, and to block the scent of the egg, I don't think they are that benificial for hair:confused:
________
STARCRAFT REPLAYS (http://screplays.com/replays)

shawty
August 6th, 2010, 11:50 PM
1. Use a blender or food processor to mix.
2. Condition *before* shampooing. Then, when you're ready, wash as you normally would: shampoo, rinse, condition.

If you decide to try it again, these two changes to your process should make it go much smooooother (pun intended)!

ghost
August 6th, 2010, 11:58 PM
It's only because we are so awesome!! :p

Oh, it totally is :D
Never doubt that for a second!

little_cherry
August 7th, 2010, 12:27 AM
LOL! Love the story!

It's too late now but babyfood jarred bananas work best (if you try a next time). No gritty grossness leftover.
Agreed! You can also unpeel and freeze bananas- no lumps!

Carolyn
August 7th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Oh that's too funny! I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. It took a couple washes to get the banana grossness out. It was so nasty! And the smell was awful. I haven't been able to eat a banana since. It completely turned me off of eating bananas. I didn't know the babyfood trick at the time or I might have tried that. I'm so grossed out by banana smell now, I won't try it.

Velouria
August 7th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I've tried banana in a deep treatment only once, for the thickening, but I had read beforehand that it was essential to use a very ripe to overripe banana, and to freeze (in the peel was what I read) and then thaw it. Whan I peeled it into a bowl after thawing, it was already close to pureed, and very easy to beat to complete smoothness with a fork.

WritingPrincess
August 7th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I've never experimented with banana, but I know that freezing it, then thawing, will make it very smooth and non-lumpy. HTH!

BlackVulture
August 7th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I've heard so many banana horror stories, I don't even want to think back on some of them. Always been hesitant to try it myself out of gunk-phobia, I just don't have the time or patience to be so... thorough.

TheLuckyLurker
August 8th, 2010, 06:07 PM
And this story illustrated exactly why the only conditioners I use (including the deep-conditioners) come in bottles.

Side note: I just read that story aloud to my mother, and she lol'd!

Azhtabak
August 8th, 2010, 07:12 PM
:D

How effective was the treatment then? Did it work at least? :p

Drynwhyl
August 9th, 2010, 09:49 AM
^ I doubt it, after so much shampoo and the pool water :P

Who even thought about putting bananas in your hair? xD I'll never try it, as I'll probably end up like this too.

Yamainu
August 9th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Nope, I see no discern-able difference to my hair. But I'm glad I made you guys laugh.