PDA

View Full Version : do you get used to having hair up without it hurting?

Brenda714
August 6th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I am trying to wear my hair up so I don't fuss with it since it is at an awkward length (not quite bsl) but the bun pulls on my head and it starts hurting. Will I get used to having the bun and will it stop hurting? I wear it in a low bun, looks best because I have to pin down my layers. Thanks for your support!

Jessikinz
August 6th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I do not keep my hair in a style if it is hurting me. Are you bunning it too tight? I always redo my hair until it feels comfortable enough to wear.

Prettyeyes23
August 6th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I dont think that you ever get used to the pain, you just learn how to do the style in a more comfortable way.

gossamer
August 6th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I know when I first started putting my hair up, I'd get neckaches->headaches from the differently distributed weight. Took a while, but I got used to it. It's up at least half the time now, if not more like 3/4s of the time.

Copasetic
August 6th, 2010, 07:52 PM
My hair only hurts me if I do my bun way too tight. You might want to try a different clip, or loosening it up if it starts to feel uncomfortable.

ChloeDharma
August 6th, 2010, 07:53 PM
It should not be painfull, if it is then i would change the way you do it. Pain means your roots are being pulled too tight and i'd be concerned that i risk traction alopecia from that.
I find that when using sticks or a hair fork i have to twist the hair a bit loose as putting them in tightens it.
A nice comfortable style at your length is a peacock twist, nice and simple to do and easily held with a claw clamp.

Gumball
August 6th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I dont think that you ever get used to the pain, you just learn how to do the style in a more comfortable way.

I agree completely. When buns hurt sometimes they're too tight, or sometimes the weight isn't distributed evenly. If that happens to me, I just redo it until it doesn't hurt anymore. It's all about finding the way to do the style where it doesn't annoy you like that. If the weight isn't distributed evenly then sections will pull and hurt. If it's done too tightly then everything will pull and eventually hurt. It's all about finding the balance of the style you're doing, or if you can't, then finding another style.

christine1989
August 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I think your bun may be too tight if it is hurting. You could try using a few pins to help hold your bun and take some of the pressure off the roots.

Squeak toy
August 6th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Braids are great as they feel like the hair is just hanging

squiggyflop
August 6th, 2010, 11:25 PM
mine still hurts when i do the bun wrong.. oh and if i leave my sleep bun in during the day (bee butt scrunchy-bun on the top of my head).. the bun is almost 5 inches high so if it leans even a little to the side it pulls the head to the side because of the weight..

eezepeeze
August 11th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Maybe you could try putting your buns a little lower on your head. I know if I try to do a bun on the crown of my head, I get a neckache from the weight. Also, at your length, I really liked low pony tails because they got the hair out of my face, but didn't pull. When you get long enough, there are a lot of things you can do with hairsticks. There are many tutorials here and on youtube. Also, you might like lace accent braids for dressing up a pony tail or bun. HTH :-)

Drarra
August 11th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I agree with what many other posters have said - if it hurts when you put it up, something's just not right, and it's probably pulling your scalp. If my hair is making me hurt, I'll usually pull it down and put it up again to see if I can distribute it a little better.

sarahbrownie
August 11th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Sometimes I feel like it isn't the actually tightness that gets to me but the actual weight of the hair that causes all the aches. It's better when I pony or bun at the nape of my neck than at the middle. The only time my roots ache is putting my hair in a pony at the top/crown of my head, ouch! Doing my hair up that high is out of the question.

McFearless
August 11th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Is your hair wet when you put it up?

Kristin
August 11th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I do agree with most posters when they say that your buns might be too tight if your head is hurting. On the other hand, I put my hair up yesterday when it was still just a bit damp (after 12 hours of drying! GRRR!) and the weight really bothered my neck. I tried re-doing it several times to no avail. It didn't feel better until I took it down and let it finish drying.

lsnyder09
August 11th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I usually go for a pony-tail rather than a bun because it doesn't hurt, but I'm not sure if that causes breakage.

Capybara
August 11th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I think technique makes the hurting go away :) I used to be able to wear messy buns (looped through a ponytail holder a few times) all day, but now my head begins hurting after only a few minutes. Maybe try a more balanced bun, like a figure eight or Chinese bun?