PDA

View Full Version : What to do about weak hair?

irishlady
August 6th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Hi there everyone!

I have a problem with my hair. The thing is, it's usually fairly strong, but has been breaking a lot recently no matter how gentle I try to be :(

It's currently at arm-pit length, so I really don't want to have to trim it for a while yet.

I don't think it's hormonal, but would the birth control pill maybe have some effect on hair? I have been on it for about 3 years now, I've never had a problem with it before.

Maybe it's my routine? I am currently using a shampoo and conditioner that are organic and sulfate and cone free. Kiss My Face Whenever S&C to be exact. I need to use shampoo, I tried the condition only method but my hair turned into a greaseball. I only wash my hair every 3-5 days and only shampoo my scalp and push/skoosh the suds down the length. I also use cocnut oil overnight before I wash.
I also finger comb and use a wide toothed comb for tangles and work from the bottom up.

My hair is somewhere between fine and medium in thickness, but there's a lot of it.

I really don't know why it's been difficult, perhaps I need to switch back to a shampoo with a lot of protein or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Blessings to all!

ChloeDharma
August 6th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I can't really see anything wrong with your routine. When did this sudden weakness start? I'd say maybe look at your diet and see if you can improve that, maybe add a silica supplement.
In the mean time you could try cassia treatments or henna if you don't mind being a red head.

I'm trying to think back to what oils i found strengthening.....i think avocado was one so you might want to experiment with adding that to your coconut oil. Yogurt treatments i also find good for adding strength.

Other than that your best bet is to keep your hair up and protected as much as you can, plus obvious things like carefull detangling, satin pillow cases etc.

little_cherry
August 6th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Hello :)
Have you tried cassia? It strengthens the hair shaft.

irishlady
August 6th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I can't really see anything wrong with your routine. When did this sudden weakness start? I'd say maybe look at your diet and see if you can improve that, maybe add a silica supplement.
In the mean time you could try cassia treatments or henna if you don't mind being a red head.

I'm trying to think back to what oils i found strengthening.....i think avocado was one so you might want to experiment with adding that to your coconut oil. Yogurt treatments i also find good for adding strength.

Other than that your best bet is to keep your hair up and protected as much as you can, plus obvious things like carefull detangling, satin pillow cases etc.

Hi! Thanks for your reply, I usually have a few avocadoes around so I'll give them a try.
I was wondering what you think about Mane 'n Tail shampoo and conditioner? I heard it has a lot of protein, and my hair seems to like cones so maybe it'd help a bit.
I'm a bit undecided about actually dying my hair with henna or cassia, but what if I use a deep conditioning treatment that contains henna? (I've seen a few of those in the shops). Would this help or would I be better off just using the proper henna?
My hair has been silly like this for the past 3 weeks. I'll need to try and improve my diet too.

irishlady
August 6th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hello :)
Have you tried cassia? It strengthens the hair shaft.

I haven't but I'll look more into cassia, not as familiar with it as henna. Does it also turn hair red? :)

florenonite
August 6th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Does it stretch before breaking or just snap?

If it's the former, it needs more protein, and if it's the latter it needs more moisture. Make sure you're drinking enough water (although that only affects the new growth) if it needs moisture.

irishlady
August 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Does it stretch before breaking or just snap?

If it's the former, it needs more protein, and if it's the latter it needs more moisture. Make sure you're drinking enough water (although that only affects the new growth) if it needs moisture.

Oh cool I didn't know about the stretching and all. Thanks! :)

ChloeDharma
August 6th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Hi! Thanks for your reply, I usually have a few avocadoes around so I'll give them a try.
I was wondering what you think about Mane 'n Tail shampoo and conditioner? I heard it has a lot of protein, and my hair seems to like cones so maybe it'd help a bit.
I'm a bit undecided about actually dying my hair with henna or cassia, but what if I use a deep conditioning treatment that contains henna? (I've seen a few of those in the shops). Would this help or would I be better off just using the proper henna?
My hair has been silly like this for the past 3 weeks. I'll need to try and improve my diet too.

The cassia doesn't really colour the hair unless you are very light and then it leaves a faint light yellow stain. The threatments you buy with henna in i can't really comment on as i would basically just see them as a conditioner and not really expect the same effect as henna.

I've never used mane and tail products but i hear they have their fans.....i tend to go for the natural approach as much as possible, plus i've never actually seen them in a shop over here.

If this started in the last 3 weeks what has changed just before then? you mention your hair likes cones, have you recently stopped using them? They can be very usefull for fragile hair. If you've always used them before then suddenly have stopped maybe your hair naturally is more fragile than you realised.

irishlady
August 6th, 2010, 09:07 PM
The cassia doesn't really colour the hair unless you are very light and then it leaves a faint light yellow stain. The threatments you buy with henna in i can't really comment on as i would basically just see them as a conditioner and not really expect the same effect as henna.

I've never used mane and tail products but i hear they have their fans.....i tend to go for the natural approach as much as possible, plus i've never actually seen them in a shop over here.

If this started in the last 3 weeks what has changed just before then? you mention your hair likes cones, have you recently stopped using them? They can be very usefull for fragile hair. If you've always used them before then suddenly have stopped maybe your hair naturally is more fragile than you realised.

I have been in the States for the past few weeks, although I haven't really noticed a difference in the water here, maybe just the humidity and heat here, although I stay out of the sun as much as I can while being a fan of the outdoors...I don't think it's sun damaged from what I can see...

I really like the natural alternatives and I'd like to stick with them, I'll go back to them, just want to try something I don't know (Mane 'n Tail).

I'll look at my diet since admittedly it hasn't been great in the past few months...

ghost
August 6th, 2010, 09:16 PM
A protein treatment a couple of times a month might help, but be sure to deep condition your hair afterward, since protein treatments can be drying. Aphogee makes one that I really like, you can get it at Sally Beauty Supply if there is one near you. Or, adding a beaten egg yolk to your shampoo (or whatever you use to wash your hair) can give you some protein. Just be sure to rinse it out very careful, with cool water -you don't want to cook the egg into your hair o_o

Also, taking a multivitamin could help you, if you don't take one already. It wouldn't do a whole lot for the length of your hair, but will strengthen the new growth.

irishlady
August 6th, 2010, 11:14 PM
A protein treatment a couple of times a month might help, but be sure to deep condition your hair afterward, since protein treatments can be drying. Aphogee makes one that I really like, you can get it at Sally Beauty Supply if there is one near you. Or, adding a beaten egg yolk to your shampoo (or whatever you use to wash your hair) can give you some protein. Just be sure to rinse it out very careful, with cool water -you don't want to cook the egg into your hair o_o

Also, taking a multivitamin could help you, if you don't take one already. It wouldn't do a whole lot for the length of your hair, but will strengthen the new growth.

Thanks for your reply :)

LoversLullaby
August 6th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I suggest also doing a protein treatment followed by a deep moisturizing treatment. A protein treatment I use is 7 teaspoons of soy sauce in a conditioner that contains protein. Leave it in for 45 minutes, and rinse it out.

irishlady
August 7th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I suggest also doing a protein treatment followed by a deep moisturizing treatment. A protein treatment I use is 7 teaspoons of soy sauce in a conditioner that contains protein. Leave it in for 45 minutes, and rinse it out.
Cool thanks! Will try that :)

swellmel
August 8th, 2010, 02:54 AM
I agree with the previous posters who mentioned protien treatments. Recently my hair started to feel weaker and more prone to breakage and split ends. I bought the generic Sally's brand of Joico K-Pac and have noticed a tremendous difference in my hair. It really has helped strengthen it plus it looks healthier and shinier too. I use it once a week and follow it with a moisturizing conditioner. I had tried other deep conditioners with little success. It wasn't until the protien treatment that I noticed less breakage and stronger hair. Good luck!

swellmel
August 8th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Interesting! I haven't heard of using soy sauce before. What does it do?

dropinthebucket
August 8th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Could be hard water - if the water is very hard, and you've had a sudden change in water while keeping the products natural (i.e., no "stripping" power), it's possible to get mineral buildup on the shaft. This acts like a hard, brittle coating, like encasing the hair in ice, so when you move it or bend it - snap. My water was so hard, my hair was breaking like anything. I ended up switching to distilled water, because I didn't want to give up the natural products and move to a chelating shampoo.