PDA

View Full Version : What do ya'll think of afros

Ricky22
March 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Just outta curiousity what do ya'll think of afros and cornrows...those such hairstyles

if you wanna see more pictures of my hair look at my myspace its in my signature

Neorah
March 11th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I think that the natural texture of kinky hair is gorgeous when it's allowed to grow long and wild and freely. I posted this photo on the old LHC, it's one of my favorites:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/gaphair.jpg

It's from a GAP ad, and I think their hair-- especially the little girl's-- is beautiful.

SHADOWSCODE46
March 11th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Oh wow! I have always admired that photograph. Yes I agree, I think Afro's can be cool when it is wild and loose, but also well groomed and tamed to enhance the natural texture (that may seem oxymoronic, but you know what I mean). As far as cornrows, it depends. I do admire some really intricate designs that I have seen, but personally my hair can't take that kind of manipulation. I have had my hair styled like that years ago and it just always tore at my hair :rolleyes:.

Kirin
March 11th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I have always admired kinky, natural african american hair. Short cropped fro's or wild and freaky long..... I think its amazing. (also love me some dreads)

I'll be honest too, i think its a CRIME the way the beauty industry and "Popular culture" manipulates those with enthic hair varieties into this "barbie" type of mentality. All the weaves, tight braids and cornrows (all VERY damaging) to gain some "perfection" of hair. I really wish more people would just let their hair, do what it does by nature...... its so beautiful.

Gemma
March 11th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I think natural hair is beautiful, and afros look gorgeous. :)

nappywomyn
March 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I Love, love, LOVE that picture!! I wish I could find out who the models are - just fabulous!

Magdalene
March 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM
LOVE natural hair. That picture above is gorgeous!

I love braids and cornrows when they're real hair. I'm not a big fan of extensions of any variety.

Neorah
March 11th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I Love, love, LOVE that picture!! I wish I could find out who the models are - just fabulous!
The woman is a photographer, Lorna Simpson, and the girl is her daughter... You can see another picture from the Gap series here (http://gorgeousblackwomen.blogspot.com/2008/02/lorna-simpson.html).

FroandBeyond
March 11th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I love it when women of Africa descent wear their natural texture. Nothing wrong with variety, but there is something wrong with hating and constantly criticizing your characterists.

I would rock a fro regularly, but in the summer they get hot. lol and shrink.

The picture above is beautiful, its great to see such love and naturalness.

SHADOWSCODE46
March 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I have always admired kinky, natural african american hair. Short cropped fro's or wild and freaky long..... I think its amazing. (also love me some dreads)

I'll be honest too, i think its a CRIME the way the beauty industry and "Popular culture" manipulates those with enthic hair varieties into this "barbie" type of mentality. All the weaves, tight braids and cornrows (all VERY damaging) to gain some "perfection" of hair. I really wish more people would just let their hair, do what it does by nature...... its so beautiful.

Oh wow Kirin, that was so well said.

jamisonlcloud
March 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I'm rockin' an afro right now! I have a growing number of lovely scarves and headbands to wear with my afro. i think its great! there is more than one type of hair beauty, and it should be shared and expressed.

FroandBeyond
March 11th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I have numerious scarves, head wraps and flowers for my hair.

Chamomile betty
March 11th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Beautiful hair in that picture!

Afro's and cornrows are wonderful. I love to see people do their own personal thing with hair.

Thanks for sharing that picture.

nappywomyn
March 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
The woman is a photographer, Lorna Simpson, and the girl is her daughter... You can see another picture from the Gap series here (http://gorgeousblackwomen.blogspot.com/2008/02/lorna-simpson.html).

Oooh, THANK YOU!!!

Unofficial_Rose
March 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I think they are fabulous. Just don't see many of them. So when I do, I think that the person has some originality about them :thumbsup:

Xandergrammy
March 11th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I think that the natural texture of kinky hair is gorgeous when it's allowed to grow long and wild and freely. I posted this photo on the old LHC, it's one of my favorites:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/egocystic/gaphair.jpg

It's from a GAP ad, and I think their hair-- especially the little girl's-- is beautiful.

I agree that these two beauties have gorgeous hair. There's a commercial on TV with a little girl with long natural hair. So lovely.

So in answer to your question, I love afros. I came of age in the 70's and one of my best friends had the most beautiful, softest afro. It was amazing.

jamisonlcloud
March 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I love it when women of Africa descent wear their natural texture. Nothing wrong with variety, but there is something wrong with hating and constantly criticizing your characterists.

I would rock a fro regularly, but in the summer they get hot. lol and shrink.

The picture above is beautiful, its great to see such love and naturalness.

The afro in the summer can be very cool... allows a lot of heat to release from the scalp. Its the humidity that can be a bit much. Try finding a moisturizer that has a little hold.

I also have a collection of summer hats to wear. Just wrap the hair in a nice silk scarf and plop the hat down on your head.

Delila
March 11th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Styles of the seventies can seem a bit dated now, but I loved the way ordinary people felt free to just experiment and do their own thing. Sometimes that creates fashion disasters, sometimes moments of wonder, but if you don't take the risk, you never will know what's possible.

Anje
March 11th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I love natural hair. I'm almost always see it relaxed til it's stick-straight and flat, and it's a bit sad to me, because I think just about everyone looks best with their original texture.

As far as Afros go, I tend to like them a bit more loose and natural, not quite like the 2-foot-diameter impenetrable globe that you see in things from the 70s.

Isilme
March 11th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I actually wonder how this hairtype looks when the owner takes very good care of it and uses moisture products to get the curls as compact as possible, with long hair of course. Kind of like the curly girl method with focus on as much curl AND length as it can get. This hairtype isn't as common where I live, and the ones I see often wears it in braids or relaxed. I'm curious:)

florenonite
March 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I love it when people wear their hair as is regardless of natural texture. I have a friend who, although of Scottish descent, has very kinky hair, and so it was a bit of an afro, but then he cut it off as it was getting unruly (hadn't cut in a couple years) and I was right behind him at the bar at the Union a couple weeks ago and, though admittedly I wasn't entirely sober, I didn't recognise him till he turned around. I miss his hair =(

Cichelle
March 11th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Natural hair, of any type, is wonderful to see. Afros can be stunning. When I was transitioning (planning to cut off my relaxed ends and go natural) I had this idea of having a big beautiful afro, but my hair didn't quite do that. That Gap ad picture is like...wow!

Ricky22
March 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM
:) any of ya'll here have afros too?

nappywomyn
March 11th, 2008, 05:30 PM
;) This is an old picture - before I realized just how much hair I was breaking off to get this perfectly airy ball of hair..... I haven't done this since.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/62/219556504_5b03a581c5_m.jpg

ColoradoDreamer
March 11th, 2008, 05:36 PM
One of my students from last year wore his hair in cornrows much of the time - and still does. I see him every other day when he comes to his English class across the hall from me. His hair probably would reach his shoulders or past if he left it unbraided. It always looks so neat in the cornrows. He's a really neat kid too!

addikted
March 11th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I love afros! I think natural hair is lovely when not relaxed etc. Unfortunately, in my part of the world, its not so common. Love the picture by the way, natural beauty, yeah! Rock on!

Ricky22
March 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM
WOW nice afro nappywomyn :)

by the way I uploaded pictures in my picture album on my profile if ya'll interested in looking

auntdaisy
March 11th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Love a nice fro! There are some women with gorgeous fros and braids and corn rows at the Wal-Mart I usually shop at...I just wanna reach out and touch it! Gorgeous!

nappywomyn
March 11th, 2008, 06:21 PM
:lol: Please don't touch the hair. And unless you already know the person's name - and know them pretty well, don't ask to touch the hair, either.

Some people can be VERY touchy about it. :lol:

FroandBeyond
March 11th, 2008, 06:46 PM
The afro in the summer can be very cool... allows a lot of heat to release from the scalp. Its the humidity that can be a bit much. Try finding a moisturizer that has a little hold.

I also have a collection of summer hats to wear. Just wrap the hair in a nice silk scarf and plop the hat down on your head.

A compact fro works for me in the summer. A stretched fro in the other hand, starts off stretched and then will shrink up to 2 to 1 inch.

I went to the club last summer with my hair fully stretched and part of my fro resting on my shoulders. DUring the night I wondered why I couldn't feel it...my brother told me it looked the exact same.

When I got to the bathroom, I was so pissed at him... it went from hanging on my shoulders to above my ears..and his butt couldn't tell the difference?!!!

I love shrinkage, but I like it big!

nappywomyn
March 11th, 2008, 06:55 PM
A compact fro works for me in the summer. A stretched fro in the other hand, starts off stretched and then will shrink up to 2 to 1 inch.

I went to the club last summer with my hair fully stretched and part of my fro resting on my shoulders. DUring the night I wondered why I couldn't feel it...my brother told me it looked the exact same.

When I got to the bathroom, I was so pissed at him... it went from hanging on my shoulders to above my ears..and his butt couldn't tell the difference?!!!

I love shrinkage, but I like it big!

:lol: I predict your brothers wife will fuss at him one day for not noticing her haircut!!! :rolling:

ChloeDharma
March 11th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I love afro's, i'm a bit of a retro fan (ok alot) so they often remind me of that look which i love. My only.....irritation is the wrong word, more like disappointment, is that i hardly ever see anyone with one. I always see the very styled look on black people here.
Cornrows i'm not such a fan of tbh, i'm impressed by some of the skill that goes into them, but regular ones i find a bit boring.

Ricky22
March 11th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I love afro's, i'm a bit of a retro fan (ok alot) so they often remind me of that look which i love. My only.....irritation is the wrong word, more like disappointment, is that i hardly ever see anyone with one. I always see the very styled look on black people here.
Cornrows i'm not such a fan of tbh, i'm impressed by some of the skill that goes into them, but regular ones i find a bit boring.

lol but don't forget that those boring cornrows help us to grow our hair into those big afros you luv so much

ChloeDharma
March 11th, 2008, 07:09 PM
lol but don't forget that those boring cornrows help us to grow our hair into those big afros you luv so much

Lol fair enough, don't get me wrong, i've nothing against them as such......i just always compare them to a fro or nice lot of dreads in my head :p

jamisonlcloud
March 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM

LOL! How could I forget about the shrinkage! My hair does the exact same thing! Its especially funny when I take a shower. I go in with shoulder length hair, and come out with about a 3 inch afro. I do love that african hair texture has tons of elasticity, helps with great versatility.

Piperdiva
March 11th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Beautiful picture. I think they look great. It's unfortunate that I rarely see people wearing them. I guess the Beyonce style is more fashionable. The upkeep must be a real pain. And expensive.

Ricky22
March 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Beyonces afro is pretty huge when she sports it....I take it she teases her hair a whole lot whenshe wears it

redcelticcurls
March 11th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I'm just happy when any curly/kinky haired person can go natural and let the texture out. I'm tired of flat ironing and relaxing being considered the way to get "fashionable" hair.

Ricky22
March 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM
gosh Ma'am you look exactly like my math teacher with the facial features and shes got the EXACT same curly hair texture as you redcelitccurls

SHADOWSCODE46
March 11th, 2008, 09:37 PM
;) This is an old picture - before I realized just how much hair I was breaking off to get this perfectly airy ball of hair..... I haven't done this since.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/62/219556504_5b03a581c5_m.jpg

OMG Nappywomyn!! So prettiful!
As a lurker, I had admired your old signature pictures on LHCF (with the different stages of your afro), but could never tell you how beautiful your smile was because I am not a member there. Your smile is like sunshine! :)

redcelticcurls
March 11th, 2008, 09:40 PM
gosh Ma'am you look exactly like my math teacher with the facial features and shes got the EXACT same curly hair texture as you redcelitccurls

Whoa, I have a twin?! Cool!

I'm just a 3b so I can't rock a 'fro. I can, however get some big hair if I dry brush it.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2v9ub9l.jpg

Ricky22
March 11th, 2008, 09:43 PM
DANNNGGGG!!!! your hair looks like a lions mane!

lol

SHADOWSCODE46
March 11th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I'm just happy when any curly/kinky haired person can go natural and let the texture out. I'm tired of flat ironing and relaxing being considered the way to get "fashionable" hair.

Here, Here!!

FroandBeyond
March 11th, 2008, 10:15 PM
:lol: I predict your brothers wife will fuss at him one day for not noticing her haircut!!! :rolling:

LOL I totally agree with you on that.

dancingbarefoot
March 11th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I grew up in a state with a very low black population (Alaska), and a large percentage of those folks were military (so no 'fros). So I mostly saw afros on TV, but I think they're cool-looking!

Now we have a big Samoan community in Alaska, and I see a bunch of Samoan kids with afros there. I like how natural they look. [ETA: I really do mean kids. I don't see them on adults very often.]

coppercurls
March 11th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Whoa, I have a twin?! Cool!

I'm just a 3b so I can't rock a 'fro. I can, however get some big hair if I dry brush it.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2v9ub9l.jpg

I can do this same look redcelticcurls! A frind of mine calls me Simba when i do it.

Back on topic~ I think it is great that we can all be comfortable with our own beauty and let our different colors and textures shine!

sanja
March 12th, 2008, 02:29 AM
cornrows on a woman are sexy. girls who wear them tend to get a lot of play from the guys, lol.
honestly, though, i don't like microphone afros. i prefer kinky hair to be wild.

i like the pic of the woman and her child - very beautiful. thanks for sharing.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5048/11372we9.jpg

^i hope that's not inappropriate. delete if so.
(Yes, this is definitely inappropriate for the LHC. Nips are not allowed to be shown. Link removed ~ harpgal)

btw, OP, i recognize you from another forum. i don't think we've ever spoken. hiya.:D

and hello to everyone else.:D

Naluin
March 12th, 2008, 02:46 AM
I have one! So, I guess I should like them. Most of the time I do. I tend to love them on other people all the time, but I love my own about 80 per cent of the time. I'm working on the other 20 per cent. My brain is still transitioning!

Some days I just go "what is my hair doing up there?" The answer is simple: whatever it wants to. My hair and I are very much alike, I find. :rolleyes:

far_away
March 12th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I'm another person who grew up with very few black people around them. My Mum, though, is one of the very few white people who can grow a 'fro on her own by just letting her hair grow out. I was about 7 when she cut it short cropped and it really upset me, I loved her wild, fluffy hair.

I am amazed by some of the more intricate cornrows but I must say that I prefer long black hair or dreads. Something about the hair being loose I think, I just prefer it.

Ricky22
March 12th, 2008, 04:13 AM
its good to know so many people like afros :) lol whenever I see a tree it reminds me of one

jamisonlcloud
March 12th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I think people are wowed by afros for a few reasons, a) there are actually people out there that are surprised that black people can grow their hair out to such lengths. b) even though there are a lot of afros out there, the majority of black people don't wear their hair natural.

I think that's why I have people that are my hair inspirations, like Angie Stone, Lauren Hill, Alicia Keys and Jill Scott. These are a few people that like to wear the natural look. As far as guys, Jaheim, John Legend and Wyclef are always wearing afros or cornrows. Speaking of corn rows, I really need to practice these more. I know people are split between whether they like the cornrows or not, but you have to admit, its takes talent and skill.

MercyD
March 12th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I love afros and corn rows. Always have..I just like the freedom of the hair and the texture. Well, they say you like what you don't have. I have super straight, thin hair.

I grew up just outside Detroit, MI and my girlfriends taught me to corn row their hair when I was in jr high. I always enjoyed doing it for them..it was relaxing to me...like when I knit or crochet. I was always jealous because my straight, fine hair slips right out of braids.

When I see a nice afro, or wild longer curls...it makes me think of wide open freedom. I love this look on anyone of any color who has the right texture/type of hair.

When I see corn rows...I think of giggling crazy jr high girls trying stuff out and being goofy..it's a memory thing.

I haven't done cornrows since college (15 years ago)...so I'm sure I'd make a mess of it now. :rolleyes:

Ricky22
March 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I love afros and corn rows. Always have..I just like the freedom of the hair and the texture. Well, they say you like what you don't have. I have super straight, thin hair.

I grew up just outside Detroit, MI and my girlfriends taught me to corn row their hair when I was in jr high. I always enjoyed doing it for them..it was relaxing to me...like when I knit or crochet. I was always jealous because my straight, fine hair slips right out of braids.

When I see a nice afro, or wild longer curls...it makes me think of wide open freedom. I love this look on anyone of any color who has the right texture/type of hair.

When I see corn rows...I think of giggling crazy jr high girls trying stuff out and being goofy..it's a memory thing.

I haven't done cornrows since college (15 years ago)...so I'm sure I'd make a mess of it now. :rolleyes:

ehhhh you could try cornrowing my hair if you'd like to test out ya skills :D I won't be mad if they aren't perfect

MadPirateBippy
March 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I love it when people let their hair be as beautiful as it was intended- I've rarely met someone who's natural color wasn't good on them (though it does happen) or who did well by their hair by fighting it's texture.

I love afros and long, un-relaxed black women's hair. It makes me so happy, to think that they are comfortable with their skin and bodies exactly as they are. It's so beautiful, too.

nappywomyn
March 12th, 2008, 03:15 PM
OMG Nappywomyn!! So prettiful!
As a lurker, I had admired your old signature pictures on LHCF (with the different stages of your afro), but could never tell you how beautiful your smile was because I am not a member there. Your smile is like sunshine! :)

:blush:

Wow, thank you!!!! :lol:

You know you need to go on and pay your five bucks, too. :lmao: !!!!!

MissHair
March 12th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I love afro!!!!!!!!!! 70's afros were the best!!!!!!!!!! Always wanted afro with my fake curls and obsessive use of curling irons.. it dosnt even come close..... always loved afro....

Ricky22
March 12th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I love afro!!!!!!!!!! 70's afros were the best!!!!!!!!!! Always wanted afro with my fake curls and obsessive use of curling irons.. it dosnt even come close..... always loved afro....

did you try teasing your hair?

Gulbahar
March 12th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Cornrows and braids on afro hair are not an invention of the beauty industrie. There are lots of different traditional styles in Africa thathave existed for a long, long time.
Of course all this wild hair looks marvellous but probably is not easy to handle.

SHADOWSCODE46
March 12th, 2008, 07:07 PM
:blush:

Wow, thank you!!!! :lol:

You know you need to go on and pay your five bucks, too. :lmao: !!!!!

Your welcome lovely lady! :)

I get all the member like benefits over there because I log on under a friends account sometimes. :D

intothemist1999
March 12th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I've always loved afro's and I'm glad to see them making a comeback over the last couple of years.

I also like to see caucasian kids with very curly hair letting it grow really long.

I've never been a fan of cornrows, but that's just my own personal taste.

SHADOWSCODE46
March 12th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Cornrows and braids on afro hair are not an invention of the beauty industrie. There are lots of different traditional styles in Africa thathave existed for a long, long time.
Of course all this wild hair looks marvellous but probably is not easy to handle.

I am not going to speak for Kirin, but I don't think that is what she is implying in her statement, or at least I didn't read into it that way. Although you are correct with where the styles may have originated from, the points I saw were how much society and the media manipulate these original styles to place a stigma on ethic hair that those styles are more appropriate or accepted.

"I'll be honest too, i think its a CRIME the way the beauty industry and "Popular culture" manipulates those with enthic hair varieties into this "barbie" type of mentality. All the weaves, tight braids and cornrows (all VERY damaging) to gain some "perfection" of hair."

That is why I agreed 100% with the statement. Hair is very rarely embraced in it's natural free flowing form, and I think this is true for any hair type. As for as the easy of handling highly textured hair, I think manageability is as easy or as difficult as one makes it. When you work against your hair and not with it, I think that is where most of the 'difficulty' kinky hair is labeled with, comes from.

intothemist1999
March 12th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I've always loved afro's and I'm glad to see them making a comeback over the last couple of years.

I also like to see caucasian kids with very curly hair letting it grow really long.

hehehe I noticed I said KIDS just then! I guess it's because when I drive to work I pass several such kids walking to the nearby school! LOL

I like the look on ALL ages!!

beledigrrl
March 13th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I love it kinky curly and coiled hair and I definitely experience afro envy whenever I see men and women on the street with piles of beautifully bushy hair

beledigrrl
March 13th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I have numerious scarves, head wraps and flowers for my hair.

I do as well! Flowers are definitely my favorite afro accesory

Neon Gloss
March 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I love afros! My dad has a "white man afro", as my friends like to call it. It's not as big as it was when he was a teenager, but his hair is still super curly!

nappywomyn
March 13th, 2008, 03:05 PM

So far, I have to say - it's not that hard. Mind, I've only ever had my hair on my head, and it's not that long - but I really do agree with the PP who said that working against the natural texture causes more 'difficulty' than anything else....

FroandBeyond
March 13th, 2008, 04:13 PM
So far, I have to say - it's not that hard. Mind, I've only ever had my hair on my head, and it's not that long - but I really do agree with the PP who said that working against the natural texture causes more 'difficulty' than anything else....

I have to agree...taking care of my hair is not hard. Actually, I enjoy taking care of it and styling it. Many of the 4b and 4a individuals that I know, use the same techniques on other sites that are used on this site.

This site is great, it proves that all hairtypes are similiar in some form.

CO-washing, oiling, and detangling all of those things are done by many individuals with various hairtypes.

I love mine ain't nothing hard about. I will say though, if you don't know what you are doing ( this goes with hair and anything else in life) it will be hard for you.

SHADOWSCODE46
March 13th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I have to agree...taking care of my hair is not hard. Actually, I enjoy taking care of it and styling it. Many of the 4b and 4a individuals that I know, use the same techniques on other sites that are used on this site.

This site is great, it proves that all hairtypes are similiar in some form.

CO-washing, oiling, and detangling all of those things are done by many individuals with various hairtypes.

I love mine ain't nothing hard about. I will say though, if you don't know what you are doing ( this goes with hair and anything else in life) it will be hard for you.

Well said. I was surprised myself to see the similarity in techniques and methods here and on the other sites I visit. Down to even the monistat.... :rolling:

sanja
March 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM

looking at the albums of long-haired 4b's, that does not appear to be true.
and if it was so hard to handle, why do black men handle it with such ease? they throw in some cornrows and the next thing you know their hair is down their backs.

i don't really understand how fragile hair can be hard to maintain anyway. it's not designed for frequent manipulation.

spidermom
March 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Wow Kindred Spirits! I've so much enjoyed all the pictures and conversation so far. I LOVE the fro. It was my chosen hairstyle in the mid-to-late 70s. I was going to college in Pensacola, Florida, listening to Jimi Hendrix, admiring the oratory skill of Angela Davis. I had this cut:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/MO2b.jpg
Once a week, I would wash it and set it on about 40 small sponge rollers. Then I'd wear this wig until my hair dried (1-1/2 days):
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/afromom2.jpg
And then I'd pick out my curls until time to start all over again:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/afromom.jpg

jamisonlcloud
March 13th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I sometimes find it hard to believe so many people like cornrows or afros... not too long ago, a person could get fired from their job for wearing an afro or cornrows.

A good place to look for excellent natural hair ideas are the books "Let's Talk Hair" and "Where Beauty Touches Me" both are by Pamela Ferrell and of course to see some amazing natural hair style, watch the movie "Daughters of the Dust"

Ricky22
March 13th, 2008, 08:35 PM
looking at the albums of long-haired 4b's, that does not appear to be true.
and if it was so hard to handle, why do black men handle it with such ease? they throw in some cornrows and the next thing you know their hair is down their backs.

i don't really understand how fragile hair can be hard to maintain anyway. it's not designed for frequent manipulation.

I feel ya on that because I don't really be messin with my hair alot either as far as usin all them greases and weird products is concerned

Áine
March 13th, 2008, 10:42 PM
^ I think that's where all members of the general public could really benefit. Using less commercial chemical products on the hair is usually the first step in reclaiming your hair health.

Ricky22
July 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I had fun with this post from a long time ago

redpenny
July 11th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I love them!! I especially adore the afro. I think it is great to embrace one's natural hair because there are so many people changing the texture and color all the time that it is rare to see it natural these days.

Oskimosa
July 11th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Wow Kindred Spirits! I've so much enjoyed all the pictures and conversation so far. I LOVE the fro. It was my chosen hairstyle in the mid-to-late 70s. I was going to college in Pensacola, Florida, listening to Jimi Hendrix, admiring the oratory skill of Angela Davis. I had this cut:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/MO2b.jpg
Once a week, I would wash it and set it on about 40 small sponge rollers. Then I'd wear this wig until my hair dried (1-1/2 days):
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/afromom2.jpg
And then I'd pick out my curls until time to start all over again:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/afromom.jpg

What a cute pic! You're making me want to pull out mine... What did your co-workers think of your rapid hair color change? :lol:

flapjack
July 11th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I see an afro as any other hair texture. Some afros look really cool and well taken care of with nice hairs. Others look horrible. Just like anyone else's head. I live in a really mixed area so I don't notice them. I think a lot of the girls around here with hair of that texture wear either braids or small afros so for me it's the other way around... I'm surprised when I see someone with really relaxed hair.

But yeah, it's just hair. Do whatever you want to it, as long as I can't smell it or it's not in my way or something, I couldn't care less. Afro or not. I don't let my hair get in other people's way either, so of course it's a two way street.

I always agree that people should be proud of what they were born with. I am, I encourage all my friends and family to feel the same way about themselves. But at the same time, it's not ever my place to tell someone who hates what they were given to "embrace" it. That's their choice. I'll be a little sad for them on the inside, but I'm not going to give people crap over their hair choices, either. More important things to worry about in life, honestly.

kate46
July 12th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Aww this brings back nice memories! When I was 7 yrs old I had a friend called Shirley who had a huge afro, I was totally facinated by it, I would constantly ask her to let me touch her hair (I was a child) and she always readily obliged. I just loved how soft it felt. I haven't seen Shirley for 40 years but yet I remember her as if I saw her yesterday because she was (and I'm sure still is) a beautiful person with gorgeous hair.

WaimeaWahine
July 12th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Beautiful. I'd like to see them on my local news anchors!

sibilum
July 12th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I love cornrows and afros! I personally adore Derrick Green's hair.... it is down to his waist! He is the vocalist of the brazilian band Sepultura...

I have met him, he is just......... just, man, I don't have words, he is a African God!!!! Here's a picture: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Metalmania_2007_-_Sepultura_-_Derrick_Green_01.jpg

sibilum
July 12th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Another one of Derrick:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/438559100_9812db48b0.jpg?v=0

LuXious
July 12th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I strongly favor the afro. Natural and proud, neat and round. Rarely do you see a person (either gender) of African descent who doesn't look good with one. Not fond of cornrows on dudes. The above picture is of some bad@$$ hair. Wow. Dreds are awesome.

Ricky22
July 12th, 2008, 10:37 AM
personally I don't think I look too great with cornrows either but for now I'm just using them as a mechanism to grow my hair longer, my mom braided my hair for me last night after I bugged her so much she got tired of me lol, but the problem was that she had to hot comb and straighten my hair first for it to be easier to braid....I don't see how ya'll girls go through that everyday ha ha ha ha

lol by the way I know I'm lookin kinda rough....I haven't shaved in about a week

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/Warrior600/STA60341.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/Warrior600/STA60343.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/Warrior600/STA60335.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/Warrior600/STA60353.jpg

davidvs
July 12th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Because of where and how I have lived, I mentally associate afros and cornrows as "children's hairstyles", just as has happened with pigtails or a tuft of hair sticking straight up and tied with a ribbon, except not distinctly feminine.

Perhaps not the impression the beauty industry has been attempting to create, but I spend more time with children than I do watching television or movies.

Ohio Sky
July 12th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I'm so isolated. I haven't even seen an African American in months, so I really have no room to comment on how their hair should be, but I wanted to say that there's a million things you can do with your hair that many ethnicities can't, and many of them are beautiful.

I don't always like the look of cornrows, but I do really like the chunky braid look... kinda like in nappywomyn's avatar. It gives the hair so much personality.

Well cared for afros are beautiful, too.

orangeeyecrayon
July 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
i love afro, dreads and braids

i am not a huge fan of corn rows though

i wish i had hair that was either 4 a or 4 b so i could wear my hair in an afro i just love that texture hair and everything about it

Ricky22
July 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
lol the only downside to 4a or 4b hair is shrinkage....that part sucks yo....I can't wait for my afro to get big enough to where it doesn't shrink anymore I'll be real happy at that lol

Siava
July 12th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I like afros when they're groomed - microphone style. Don King do's just look messy IMO. As for cornrows, I think those are hot; it doesn't matter which sex it's on. I do worry about them though. I had a history teacher that got cornrows. They were so tight and she wore them so long that her scalp became really exposed after months from the tension in the braids. I think they're great, but unhealthy for the hair and scalp to wear for long periods of time.

p.s. I like your cornrows. They look really good!

AerisDawn
July 12th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Jimi Hendrix had the coolest fro ever. I'm glad to see that hairstyle make a comeback. At least it has where I live.

FroandBeyond
July 12th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Ricky, your cornrows look nice. Your mom did not have to press your hair to cornrow it. Usually i just airdry my hair in braids and then take it down and do a quick comb out. Sometimes I do a quick blowdry on low just stretch it out a bit more. Then your hair can be braided but make sure its not done tight. The style will still last.

Garnett
July 12th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Hey Ricky, your hair looks nice in the cornrows. Welcome btw, I haven't seen you yet :) (I know, you've been here almost a year.. I'm horrible haha)

I love afros and dreds. I wish I could have both. Eventually, I'll reach my hair goal and dred it up. I think they're just so so awesome lookin.

Alethia
July 12th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I love afros and cornrows and beads and all that. I spent part of my childhood in Tanzania and Zimbabwe. The women and girls there would sit at the side of the road and get their hair done. They'd be there for hours getting their hair braided. Afros weren't very common unless you managed to see someone just before the hairdresser started braiding. Although afros look fantastic and really make a statement, they're not very stable or practical once they get really big. A lot of women in Zim get their hair relaxed now, or wear wigs, but I still prefer the natural look.

Boudicca
July 12th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I think afros look great. I saw a lady the other day with an afro and it looked really lovely. I imagine it must be difficult to care for, though?

Speedbump
July 12th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I LOVE afros, and always did, from a tiny child. I always, always wanted to have an afro. And if I COULD grow an afro, I would grow it so damned big that I would have to hold my hair in just to get through doors. Totally, totally serious. Afros ROCK! :rockerdud

Cornrows...well, honestly, they look like pain on a stick to me. :lol: But I have a very sensitive scalp, so they are not for me. However, I like the *look* of cornrows, in that they are very neat and intricate and visually interesting. But, I like afros better. :cool:

Garnett
July 12th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I LOVE afros, and always did, from a tiny child. I always, always wanted to have an afro. And if I COULD grow an afro, I would grow it so damned big that I would have to hold my hair in just to get through doors. Totally, totally serious. Afros ROCK! :rockerdud

Cornrows... are very neat and intricate and visually interesting. But, I like afros better. :cool:

Well I'm just going to quote this because you worded my thoughts EXACTLY. :D

Ricky22
July 14th, 2008, 07:21 PM
thanks for complimenting my cornrows ya'll, wassssup

3c_Gemini_Curls
July 14th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Love em...I dont wear them often they make my hair knot up on the ends and tangle. Plus my hair "flops" now that its longer lol.

Ricky22
July 14th, 2008, 09:36 PM
lol I want my hair to flop and be huge especially when I wrestle in matches it'd look real cool

snowbird
July 15th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I think they are awesome.

Ricky22
July 22nd, 2008, 01:40 PM
heres some pictures of this whitechick named Shannon that I added on myspace

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/Warrior600/l_f4f562957b040ce03de822e8af3c8c65.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/Warrior600/l_db74a21066b2657f3e3d3196de4ffb0f.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/Warrior600/l_1058e352115d13909de27b36451570ea.jpg

30isthenewblack
July 23rd, 2008, 05:01 AM
My parents are both from the same country but my mother has an afro and my father has straight hair hence why I have curly hair. I had an afro as a child but it developed into curls. My eldest brother has an afro but my other brother has wavy hair which he shaves.

It's a shame that my mother came from a country where she was made to feel ashamed for her afro hair and people put her down. I feel blessed that I inherited her hair (and her big lips and bottom!) and I am very proud of her when I walk with her down the street.

I have never straightened my hair because I feel that it is a sign of my heritage and when people put my hair down, they are also putting down my mother and it's something I feel very strongly about.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3098/2694830263_40c462debd_o.jpg

Bene
August 8th, 2008, 08:35 AM
i like a natural HEALTHY afro, but not a fan of rows, braids, or dreds. i've seen too many cases of ppl who go to get their hair braided, who pay extra to make sure it's tight, and then end up with bald patches or wide parts because of the pulling.

the hair thing is a big deal, though.

i grew up in an area where the distinction between the "good hair" and the "bad hair" was pretty apparent.... and being one of the few kids with the "good hair" (i.e. the one kid who wasn't black), i ended up with a lot of little girls trying to play with it, and it got mistakenly pulled or yanked.... for a long time i was pretty resentful about the whole hair distinction, because these little girls would literally end up fighting with each other to get their hands in my hair, and then they'd have the nerve to tell me what i should or shouldn't do to it.

had a b/f's mom hinting at wanting grandchildren (through me) because she wanted grandbabies with the "good hair"

sipnsun
August 8th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I love afros, why did they ever go out of style? It's a classic.

ruby_tuesday
August 8th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Love those pics! Afro looks so natural, untamed, beautiful, artistic... lurrrve! :bowtome:

tiggerousity
August 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I think afros are especially unique and beautiful if they are well taken care of. Corn rows and braids can be stunning or horrid (and so can bad perm jobs, bleached hair, teased hair you get the picture). It's all beautiful when you can tell the person cares for their hair.

My friend has gorgeous dreadlocks. Evey time I see her I wish I could do that too. But, she does have to fiddle with them daily to keep them looking tight. From what she says they are not as low maintenance as every one thinks.

tigs

EmpressRi
August 9th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I like afros. When I was little and my hair was shorter I had a curly fro, and I'm sure I could do one if I cut my hair that short again, but it would never happen. If I tried it now, it just flops down lol. I love locs too, but I would be to do extra stuff for my hair to loc because it's soft.

donnambr
August 9th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I love natural hair styles like afros. The great thing about living in Oregon is how the hippie subculture encourages wearing your hair without a lot of fuss and damage. I grew up in metro Detroit and was sad to see how it became expected that people torture their hair after the 70's were over. Afros always fascinate me because my hair is the 180 degree opposite of curly. ;)

There is always great beauty in good health. :)

Ricky22
August 15th, 2008, 07:05 PM
from what I've heard the biggest afros are always seen in them islander type areas

paprikapapaya
August 15th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I love a beautiful, big natural afro. My family has very curly hair naturally, and my brother used to wear his in a big fro. Like, shoulder-width. He now shaves it short but I continue to try and persuade him to grow it!

Ricky22
August 15th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I love a beautiful, big natural afro. My family has very curly hair naturally, and my brother used to wear his in a big fro. Like, shoulder-width. He now shaves it short but I continue to try and persuade him to grow it!

is your family like mixed or biracial? I was askin in reference to the hair, your brother must've had that big hair when he was a teenager right?

KBG
March 30th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Love 'em!

here is my current hair inspiration ~ Esperanza Spalding ( i love her music too...total 'two-fer'..yay!)

http://www.jazzreview.com/f/user_images/6-108-1789-1-3.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4537/picture4hwn.png

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1525/picture5mpu.png

http://cache.thephoenix.com/secure/uploadedImages/The_Phoenix/Music/Features/061222_inside_giant_espren%5B1%5D.jpg

https://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/mtljf_23.jpg

older pics( i think?)

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/partypictures/2004/08_27_04/images/jazzgala/14.jpg

http://mp3adrenalin.com/covers/39/39605/art_39605_big.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazz/media/lovano_02.jpg

lacereza
March 30th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I LOVE afros.

SHELIAANN1969
March 30th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Wow, this thread is a year old!

My nephew can grow a fabulous afro, but then he gets bored and cuts it! :(

I love his hair, I remember when he was a baby and he had these sweet little curls, then when he was about 3 or 4 his mom cut it way short and his texture changed. I miss those little baby curls.

He is 13 now, we all still live together, which is very cool.

They grow up so fast.

This was about afros and I went off on a sentimental journey, but it made me smile and made my heart feel full. :crush:

Ricky22
March 30th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Wow, this thread is a year old!

My nephew can grow a fabulous afro, but then he gets bored and cuts it! :(

I love his hair, I remember when he was a baby and he had these sweet little curls, then when he was about 3 or 4 his mom cut it way short and his texture changed. I miss those little baby curls.

He is 13 now, we all still live together, which is very cool.

They grow up so fast.

This was about afros and I went off on a sentimental journey, but it made me smile and made my heart feel full. :crush:

how big did his afro get?

Deborah
March 30th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I really like a pretty short, neatly kept afro on a man. On a woman, a bit longer can be lovely. I'm not crazy about cornrows, and downright dislike dreads on anyone, male or female, of any race. (That's just one woman's opinion though.)

I love folks feeling free to let their hair be whatever it is, straight as a stick, wavy, curly, super-curly, kinky-curly, whatever. When I was in Africa, the blacks I met all wore very short afros. I thought they looked great, and I loved that they didn't feel pressure to make their hair look different than it was naturally.

dulce-de-leche
March 31st, 2009, 05:40 AM
I love fros! :)

Ricky22
March 31st, 2009, 06:01 AM
I really like a pretty short, neatly kept afro on a man. On a woman, a bit longer can be lovely. I'm not crazy about cornrows, and downright dislike dreads on anyone, male or female, of any race. (That's just one woman's opinion though.)

I love folks feeling free to let their hair be whatever it is, straight as a stick, wavy, curly, super-curly, kinky-curly, whatever. When I was in Africa, the blacks I met all wore very short afros. I thought they looked great, and I loved that they didn't feel pressure to make their hair look different than it was naturally.

I've tried to do that look a couple times but it doesn't quite match me nahhhh not mini-fros lol

SHELIAANN1969
March 31st, 2009, 06:08 AM
how big did his afro get?

I think this is about as big as he let it get:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/SHELIAANN1969/New%20Pics/joe1-1.jpg
here it's picked out ~~ I just realized this was in March 08

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/SHELIAANN1969/New%20Pics/joe2.jpg
Here it's more contained/compacted~~ I just realized this was in December 07

Tap Dancer
March 31st, 2009, 06:17 AM
Just outta curiousity what do ya'll think of afros and cornrows...those such hairstyles

I don't care much for either style, although I prefer afros out of the two.

Copasetic
March 31st, 2009, 06:43 AM
I love afros, or any natural texture for that matter. Too bad I don't know anyone who sports their natural hair anymore.

pdy2kn6
March 31st, 2009, 07:38 AM
i love afros, i used to really want my hair like it. Like that little girl off the kelis song millionaire. it looks so fun. When i was in school there was a girl who had carribean roots, and her hair was amazing. it was black and the thickest hair you've ever seen. then she got it perminently straightened, which is such a shame. i hope you keeping yours!!!

KajiKodomo
March 31st, 2009, 07:59 AM
I agree with Kirin, it is a shame the way that society deems natural hair "bad." I love natural hair, and am a big fan of afros, personally. :D

Quahatundightu
March 31st, 2009, 12:08 PM
Corn rows, afros, dreads, I love them all! :) I used to live in an area with quite a few Pacific Islanders who had heaps of awesome super curly hair! One guy who went to the school across the road from mine had the most wicked "afro mohawk"! :D I definitely admit to some envy, I love the look of corn rows & braids, too bad my hair is too thin for them to really look any good..!

FallenAngel
March 31st, 2009, 03:08 PM
I love afros and I love dreads! Looks supercool!

Ricky22
March 31st, 2009, 04:44 PM
I think this is about as big as he let it get:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/SHELIAANN1969/New%20Pics/joe1-1.jpg
here it's picked out ~~ I just realized this was in March 08

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/SHELIAANN1969/New%20Pics/joe2.jpg
Here it's more contained/compacted~~ I just realized this was in December 07

lol your pictures aren't showing up

twilight_faerie
March 31st, 2009, 05:07 PM
I agree with Kirin, it is a shame the way that society deems natural hair "bad."

I agree...especially in the case of natural African-American hair. It seems like all the African-Americans I see have relaxed hair, and it looks so damaged, it makes me sad.

IndigoInk
March 31st, 2009, 05:15 PM
My husband is Italian and if he lets his hair grow out it is a beautiful afro. :) It drives him nuts LOL. I always try to get him to grow his hair out but he ends up shaving it, it grows pretty fast and only takes him a few months to get pretty big hair.

He's going to get me some pics off our old computer to post! Yay!

His mom's hair is similar but she doesn't care for it. She dyes the crud out of it and cuts it as though she's trimming a hedge *sigh*

Beloved
March 31st, 2009, 06:06 PM
Cornrows looks great on people with thick lustrous hair. Ditto with afros if the hair looks thick and soft.

Ricky22, I saw your cornrow pics... and they definitely suit you!

Ricky22
March 31st, 2009, 06:29 PM
thank you Beloved I appreciate that :)

InTheCity
March 31st, 2009, 07:31 PM
Love the fro you're rocking in your avatar. So natural and shaped nicely. Cornrows are okay too, but they can break hair pretty badly. And oh the headaches! (I once lasted with a sewn in ponytail only 3 days)

Ricky22
March 31st, 2009, 09:57 PM
lol thanks InTheCity and when it comes to cornrows you gotta get used to wearing them because once you do the feeling of headaches and sorness goes away quick

LHGypsyRose
March 31st, 2009, 10:10 PM
I love all hair so long as it looks healthy! I used live in a small town in N. Ga. by Lookout Mountain where people would come from all over the world to go hang gliding. There was this one girl (about my age) that I would see around town sometimes and her hair was light blond, about as long as mine and it was in dreds!! I had never seen that before, and although I was affraid to think of the damage that style must do to the hair..it was still so different and beautiful!

Ricky22
March 31st, 2009, 10:11 PM
I love all hair so long as it looks healthy! I used live in a small town in N. Ga. by Lookout Mountain where people would come from all over the world to go hang gliding. There was this one girl (about my age) that I would see around town sometimes and her hair was light blond, about as long as mine and it was in dreds!! I had never seen that before, and although I was affraid to think of the damage that style must do to the hair..it was still so different and beautiful!

you ever thought about trying dreadlocks?

LHGypsyRose
April 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Lol..I have to admit that I have wondered what it would be like. I have even considered having corn rows done in my hair, but scince I really don't know anything about the care and maitenence of them I'm affraid that my hair would get very damaged! shudder:

Áine
April 1st, 2009, 03:59 PM
I don't care much for either style, although I prefer afros out of the two.

I'm curious... what style do you favor for Afro-textured hair?

I kind of like the very thin dread locks I've seen some ladies wear... I think they are soul locks or sister dreads, or something of that sort. I once saw it on a member here and I loved it!

Unicorn
April 1st, 2009, 04:22 PM
I'm curious... what style do you favor for Afro-textured hair?

I kind of like the very thin dread locks I've seen some ladies wear... I think they are soul locks or sister dreads, or something of that sort. I once saw it on a member here and I loved it!

That would be Sisterlocks :)

Unicorn

Furiana
April 1st, 2009, 04:40 PM
I kind of like the very thin dread locks I've seen some ladies wear... I think they are soul locks or sister dreads, or something of that sort. I once saw it on a member here and I loved it!That would be Sisterlocks :)

Unicorn

I like them too!

ETA: Besides Sisterlocks, I like afros, cornrows, braids, well-kept dreads, the lot. :) I'm not too big on the "neglect method" for dreads, though; from what I've seen, few people can pull it off.

rach
April 1st, 2009, 04:49 PM
all types hair/styles look great. as long as it's looked after. though i don't often see natural afro hair with length , probrably the most length i've naturally seen is about 20cm worth which i find a shame.

thin dreads looks look lovely - i agree

Unicorn
April 1st, 2009, 07:07 PM
Thank you Furiana and Rach. :)

I also like afros Ricky, I rather like the 'twist' effect in your pics.

Unicorn

Ricky22
April 1st, 2009, 08:15 PM
lol I thought it looked pretty cool especially during wrestling season

by the way is your hair locked up?

Centeredgirl1
April 3rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
As an Afirican American woman, I prefer a loose twist for my hair (modified afro). I think that an Afro on a man is way sexy. But for me, as a girl, I just don't feel it.:rolleyes:

Speckla
April 3rd, 2009, 06:50 PM
I think hair - all hair (curly, kinky, straight, long, short, and so on) is gorgeous when it's healthy and well cared for.

Furiana
April 3rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
As an Afirican American woman, I prefer a loose twist for my hair (modified afro). I think that an Afro on a man is way sexy. But for me, as a girl, I just don't feel it.:rolleyes:

Yeah, it's definitely a hairstyle that suits some people better than others. I'm glad you tried it, though! Sometimes afros look shockingly good on people, and I'd never have guessed until they tried it.

Áine
April 3rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
Ah! It's you Unicorn! I knew there was a member here who wore sisterlocks. I think it looks quite lovely!

morguebabe
April 4th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I LOVE big afros on women..like this http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb/20061216/Gorgeous-Black-Woman-Afro-Hair-168349.jpg. i love corn rows. and I love thick braids/dreads like Mekhi Phifer had in 8Mile.

Unicorn
April 5th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Hi Áine, :waving:

Thank you for the compliment.

Unicorn

shaybabe8604
April 9th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I love afros! I'm sad that I rebelled against my mother's advice and relaxed my hair in high school. I just cut my relaxed hair off last week after 4 months (3 inches of growth) I'm so excited about getting my big hair back.

(I need to get some new pics up..)

lady_of_shallot
April 9th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I find then attractive if they look healthy.

ravenreed
April 9th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I like afros just fine. I also like micro dreads. My ex-almost-sister-in-law had the cutest shorty micro dreads! They looked awesome on her. But I gotta say, a nice set of braids can stop me dead... the really elaborate maze looking corn rows? I wish that I didn't think that corn rows look odd on caucasian women, because I would so go for that look. I am not certain why it looks so to me, but it does. Plus, I don't have the patience to sit still for that long. So I guess it is just as well.

I have a girlfriend growing her hair out natural and just recently she had put them in rope braids and had taken them out and it looked amazing! All spirally and sweet.

gibsongirl71
April 10th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I have always loved afros! And don't get me started on braids and corn rows with pretty beads on them. I love the sound all the beads make when the person wearing them moves their head.

ravenreed
April 10th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Aww. I think at the right length an afro on a woman is is very sexy. Very short, or longer. There is an in between length that I don't find quite as attractive.

What is a loose twist?

ravenreed
April 10th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I saw a woman today while I was driving and I almost went around the block to see her hair more closely. She either had braids or long, thin dreads, down past her waist. It moved like natural hair and looked LOVELY. I wish I had been able to stop and see her hair better.

She was maybe 40's? 50's? It is not often I see a black woman with hair that long and it looked great!

Centeredgirl1
April 10th, 2009, 04:12 PM
A loose twist looks like my avi. It's twisting hair with 2 strands while damp and letting it dry. When you loosen the twist the hair falls in waves.

TheGlamorousG
April 10th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I think afros are amazing. I would have one if I had the hair for it. I don't unfortunately.

It also depends on how you wear them, in my opinion. Generally, they look good, but I've seen bad ones. Although, only in black-white/asian mixes. It was obvious they were trying to fight their hair, though.

About cornrows, I'm generally not a fan. I love the intricate ones because of the ingenuity behind it, but I cannot wrap my head around the appeal.

ungratefulgirl
April 10th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Glad you asked. I love cornros but more prefer afro hair. natural hair is so much more soft and beautiful. I went to hair school with a girl who had natural texture, and it was so soft. It's nice to see someone who didn't feel like torturing their scalp or hair with chemicals, who liked herself as being herself.

NickalNack
May 3rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
All hair is beautiful in its own way.

AuntyClaus
May 3rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Fros and rows were the rage when I was in school. They bring back good memories. The black girls used to put glitter in their fros sometimes, to fancy them up. I envied them. All my straight hair would hold was dandruff. :mad:

Silver & Gold
May 3rd, 2009, 05:39 PM
I enjoy natural hair be it straight, curly, wavy, kinky . . . I think mother nature knows what she's doing. That said, a natural afro is fantastic, a permed one . . . meh . . .