PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to get my hair back in shape

E.
August 6th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Hi all,

it's been a while, but now I need your help.

My hair's not in a good shape lately...I spent the last 18 months being sick with random things one after another (actually, as we're speaking, I'm battling an annoying, painful, apparently untreatable kidney infection :mad: ), and my hair is NOT what I want it to be.

First, I feel like it's thinned down quite a bit, I'm shedding like crazy, it's limp (looks like overconditioned, but that isn't the case...it will be like this even after the use of clarifying shampoo) and not very shiny.

Second, while neither my washing method nor my method of combing, drying etc. has changed nor a change in products has occured, I experience quite a bit of split ends, something I'd never had to worry about before.

I rarely ever wear it down, because after maybe in hour, it will have collapsed into an ugly, flat mess.

So, how to get back the uncomplicated hair I was used too? It's around hip length with a bit of old colour in about half of it. I usually don't blow dry, I wash about 3 times a week using CWC.

Also, while we're at it...I would like to make it a bit wavier. If airdried on a normal (non-humid) day, it will look straightish with a little body wave and the occasional spiral around the face. If I oil it, it will curl up, but of course, oil-soaked hair is not a good look to wear out ;)

Any suggestions before I just go ahead and shave it all off or something? *lol*

É.

Darkhorse1
August 6th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Ugh! I'm so sorry about your health issues. That's terrible and draining.

Sadly, when you are unwell, your body's first needs are to fight the infection. Add to that, you probably have been taking antibiotics to kill the infection.

I would try some oilings--play around with coconut oil which moisturizes and olive oil strengthens. I always condition after oiling my hair, but everyone has to find what works for them.

Also, you can try some deep conditioning products or hair masks. I did both of these and found it really, really helped. I used a Pantene mask to add moisture to my hair and it worked better than olive oil this time! I work outdoors, so my hair is always in the elements and is usually fried at the ends by now.

Best of luck!

emsahib
August 6th, 2010, 08:23 AM
have you tried any products for thinning hair? I haven't tried any myself but they might help and do you take vitamins already? I've recently noticed the strength of my nails has improved from the vitamins. good luck :)

LILBERT
August 6th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Hiya! im afraid i havent got any advice for you, but i just wanted to say welcome back! i remember you from a few years ago when i was a regular poster. Ive been on a break too and now im back growing again.

lillylonghair
August 6th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Have you tried vitamins to help improve your overall health? I know your internal health has a huge role on your external health. So maybe just slowly working on gaining your health back would help. Maybe starting off with daily stretching and light walks in conjuction with healthy eating and vitamins.

Also I don't know how you feel about cassia and henna but if you don't want a colour change,cassia might be a good alternative to help make you hair feel thicker.

Alvrodul
August 6th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Hi all,

it's been a while, but now I need your help.

My hair's not in a good shape lately...I spent the last 18 months being sick with random things one after another (actually, as we're speaking, I'm battling an annoying, painful, apparently untreatable kidney infection :mad: ), and my hair is NOT what I want it to be.

First, I feel like it's thinned down quite a bit, I'm shedding like crazy, it's limp (looks like overconditioned, but that isn't the case...it will be like this even after the use of clarifying shampoo) and not very shiny.

Second, while neither my washing method nor my method of combing, drying etc. has changed nor a change in products has occured, I experience quite a bit of split ends, something I'd never had to worry about before.

I rarely ever wear it down, because after maybe in hour, it will have collapsed into an ugly, flat mess.

So, how to get back the uncomplicated hair I was used too? It's around hip length with a bit of old colour in about half of it. I usually don't blow dry, I wash about 3 times a week using CWC.

Also, while we're at it...I would like to make it a bit wavier. If airdried on a normal (non-humid) day, it will look straightish with a little body wave and the occasional spiral around the face. If I oil it, it will curl up, but of course, oil-soaked hair is not a good look to wear out ;)

Any suggestions before I just go ahead and shave it all off or something? *lol*

É.
Your hair will reflect your general health - so since you are not well, it may not be surprising that your hair has thinned out, and generally doesn't look good.
I can only suggest that you try to pamper your hair - treat it to some good moisturizing treatments and/or protein. Also, have you tried oiling your ends? I have recently started doing that, and my hair loves it! But I have to be careful with it - too much, or the wrong oil, and it looks awful!
Another thing you might consider trying, is cassia. It has some of the conditioning effects of henna, but you don't end up with red hair. ;) I am a hennahead, and I :heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat the way henna makes my hair feel. But the color isn't for everybody. :shrug:

countryhopper
August 6th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I think that your hair's condition is due to illness, and possibly the thinning could be a side effect from medications? Ask a doctor to be sure and ask him for suggestions.

In the meantime, try to get as much rest as possible. Also make sure that your diet is healthy to give your body what it needs to heal and repair itself.

Sorry i don't have much advice to offer. I hope you and your hair improve soon!

E.
August 6th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Thank you for the suggestions :)

Now that you mention good eating habits, I lost tons of weight (worth about 2 to 3 clothing sizes) at the beginning of the year due to stomach problems. Yeah, you name it, I' probably had it during the last year *rolls eyes* That probably didn't help the hair either.

I'm so sick of it all.

Deborah
August 6th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I suggest taking a really good, all-natural vitamin/mineral supplement, and maybe trimming off a few inches. The trim might help your hair feel thicker and neater, and it might remove enough dye damage and weight to allow your hair to be more wavy.

Whatever you try, I pray that your health will improve tremendously, and your hair along with it! :flower:

Darkhorse1
August 6th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Check with your doctor--there may be vitamins and minerals he/she can suggest. With all of your on-going health issues, I wouldn't do anything without the advice of a doctor. But, def. vitamins and minerals can only help boost your immune system.

Hugs!!

Flaxen
August 6th, 2010, 04:56 PM
E.! It is so good to see you! :grouphug:

I'm so sorry to read that you're experiencing all these health problems. :( I don't know what to suggest other than what's been said - see the doctor, try to regain the weight, do some oiling. Say, have you ever had success with Indian herb infused oils on your scalp? That might be something to look into. :smile:

julliams
August 6th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that you have been so unwell. It sounds to me that all the nutrients are being used to help other areas of your body. How is your diet? It's really hard to eat healthy when you are unwell. Is there someone who can help you to cook a healthy meal when you are not up to it?

I would perhaps go down the lots of fresh vegies, fruit, good proteins through meat (if you eat it), nuts and legumes. Perhaps you can do a big cookoff and freeze meals?

I would baby your hair in the meantime with oilings and SMT's but focus more on your eating patterns and making sure you get adequate fresh food, sleep and recovery time (less stress). Your hair will respond as you get better and as more nurtients become available to it.

Hugs to you and hope you get well soon.