PDA

View Full Version : Frizzy Hair!

oadams12
August 5th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I am sixteen and my hair has always been extremely thick- but it seems in the last couple of years it has become just unmanageable. I got it cut in layers and thinned but it seems the top layer is now fluffy/frizzy because of its length. I really want to wear my hair down and natural instead of blow drying or straightening it so are there any products or tips to make my hair look more flat?

Gumball
August 5th, 2010, 09:08 PM
The best place to start is knowing your hair type. Sometimes when people think they have straight, but frizzy hair, they really may have wavy or curly hair. When you brush out hair like that it can look fluffier because everything that would clump in a wave or a curl gets separated.

Also what is your routine like with your hair, like products and styling routines? That is another good starting point. Sometimes a there may be a lack of moisture, or a product may not be working well, among other things.

Having a foundation for us to work off of might be the ticket to helping you have a much easier time with your hair. :D

Autumns Veil
August 5th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I have the frizzies as well and it just seems to get worse for me. I'm just so glad I found this community, I have a lot to learn.

julliams
August 5th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Have you tried putting your hair in a bun to dry? It does take all day to dry but I find it makes the top look much flatter and less frizzy.

Another option is drying in a single braid which will result in waves but they will be less frizzy.

When I was your age I thought I had frizzy uncooperative hair too and I spent most of the next few years using a hairdryer or straightener to get it to "behave". Later I discovered a book called Curly Girl which had me realise that I actually have wavy hair.

If you want to find out, wash and condition your hair as normal (some people suggest using conditioner only but I use both shampoo and conditioner). Then squeeze the water out and use a leave in or small amount of gel through your hair. Take an old T-shirt and scrunch your hair up to the chin level (or higher) and hold for a few seconds. Repeat all the way around your head and then just leave it. Try not to touch it - if you do you will encourage the frizz. It may take several hours to dry so make sure you leave yourself enough time for this.

This method is how I achieved the style in my siggy pic. If I don't use this method I get frizzies too.

If you have to rush and don't have all day to dry, just try the bun trick - it will be out of your face all day for school and when you take it down at the end of the day it will be softer and less frizzy.

Hope this helps.

I just wanted to add that as my hair has been growing longer, the curl has been getting better. I have a very long and wide S pattern to my waves so they need a certain amount of length in order to "sit right". Since you had your hair thinned and layered and you are finding that the shorter lengths are frizzing, I think you might have the same situation as me. Now that my layers are at arm pit length (APL) I am finding that they sit alot better.

goldilox
August 6th, 2010, 12:12 AM
I'm your age, and my hair sometimes frizzes a bit in the Texas humidity, and those harsh fluorescent lights at school exaggerate the problem. Not a cute look. :p On frizzy days, I put a bit of lotion (the type for skin) on my hair while it's damp, and then put it up in a towel to dry completely to smooth down the frizz. It works wonders for me, far better than any other product/oil/serum I've tried. However, if you have fine hair this might weigh your hair down quite a bit, and it will also build up on your hair and you will need to clarify after a while if you decide to use this method. Hope this helps. :)

Gumball
August 6th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I'm your age, and my hair sometimes frizzes a bit in the Texas humidity, and those harsh fluorescent lights at school exaggerate the problem. Not a cute look. :p On frizzy days, I put a bit of lotion (the type for skin) on my hair while it's damp, and then put it up in a towel to dry completely to smooth down the frizz. It works wonders for me, far better than any other product/oil/serum I've tried. However, if you have fine hair this might weigh your hair down quite a bit, and it will also build up on your hair and you will need to clarify after a while if you decide to use this method. Hope this helps. :)

Not to tangent too much, but if you have to clarify to get out the skin lotion (if it builds up), have you tried using a bit of regular conditioner as a leave-in? I've had success with that on the occasions I've felt I needed a leave-in. You don't need to use a lot either. Shower, rinse, apply a bit of conditioner, dry. If it's not a coney conditioner it should just rinse out the next time you wash your hair.

schiele
August 6th, 2010, 12:28 AM
What's your hair type? Do you have curly or wavy hair?

It's possible you're just trying to make your hair into something it isn't. If you have curly hair, do a little research on the boards about how to treat/style it. Another possibility is that your hair is too dry - often hair will frizz, especially in humid weather, because it's trying to absorb moisture from the air. Do a deep moisturizing treatment (like Snowey's Moisture Treatment which is an aloe/conditioner/honey mix, or the Caramel Treatment) if that's the case.

I'm not sure if this applies to people with straight hair, but I know that for most curly haired people, if we touch our hair while it's drying at all it will frizz right up. Even if you're blowdrying your hair, try to touch it as little as possible.

You might look into oiling or using some kind of product. Get some oil, coconut oil works really well for me but you can try anything, and apply a tiny, tiny little bit to the length of your hair. Or you could try using gel or a leave-in conditioner. Just make sure that if you're using anything with silicones (ingredients with -cone at the end), you're going to have to regularly use a clarifying shampoo so that you don't get too much build up.

A lot of people do apple cider vinegar rinses (dilute say, one parts apple cider vinegar to like seven parts water. When I do this I don't really measure precisely, I'm not sure if it really matters how accurate you are) after they wash their hair. The vinegar will seal the cuticles of your hair and make them lay flat, which can help frizziness a lot.

Finally, your hair might be frizzy just because it's damaged. In that case the only thing you can do is treat it as gently as possible, do regular moisture and protein treatments, and slowly trim off the damaged parts.

goldilox
August 6th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Not to tangent too much, but if you have to clarify to get out the skin lotion (if it builds up), have you tried using a bit of regular conditioner as a leave-in? I've had success with that on the occasions I've felt I needed a leave-in. You don't need to use a lot either. Shower, rinse, apply a bit of conditioner, dry. If it's not a coney conditioner it should just rinse out the next time you wash your hair.

Yes, I have tried this. Oddly enough, whenever I do this, I always get a waxy, "ewwy sticky gummy" feeling whether I use a coney conditioner or not, and the thinner consistency of conditioner doesn't smooth down my frizz as well as body lotion. But I sure do wish the conditioner would give me the same result, it would be much more convenient, my lotion miraculously is ALWAYS lost in the darkest depths of my purse whenever I need it the most. :mad:

goldilox
August 6th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Oh dear, can a mod please take care of the multiple posting? O.O eeek!

manderly
August 6th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Sounds like you've got wavy/curly hair and it's finally fighting back. I'd suggest you visit the wurly or curly threads here and test out your hair to see if you can bring out some waves and curls. If you can (using the right techniques), then I'd suggest you change your attitude towards your hair and embrace your curls :D

Took me 30 years to figure this out, and I thought I had poofy hair my whole life. Now that I let it do what it's been begging me to do, I have gorgeous, soft, shiny CURLS.