PDA

View Full Version : My stylist kicked me out!!

whiteisle
August 5th, 2010, 08:31 PM
As some may know I lost 6"+ around the beginning of April due to a "I've gotta have a change" moment. No regrets other than having to start over again. :p

So today I was going to have a trim. My plan o' action this time around is to grow out in style even if it takes a bit longer to reach my goals. LOL So I figured I needed a little shaping up - it's been about 4 months. Instead of herding me to the sink she sits me in her chair first. (Odd) She then starts picking up hair here and there, looking, muttering saying "we shouldn't cut the back 'cause we're growing, shouldn't cut the front (again, because we're growing)............it's falling nicely......come back in a few months when it hits shoulder length. The we'll start shaping it up a bit." :agape: Huh?

Oh, wait. Tip your head to the right...trim, trim, trim. Yep. That's good. Just evened that up a bit since that side grows faster. See ya! I'm still in disbelief. :thud:

Autumns Veil
August 5th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Hi...that sounds like a unique experience...if she knows that you're trying to grow your hair long, she may feel like she was helping you. I'm sure if your hair was in terrible shape she would have gone ahead and trimmed it for you. But yeah... weird.

luxepiggy
August 5th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I would make a coherent comment but I'm still trying to wrap my head around this story (*(oo)*)

Ami514
August 5th, 2010, 08:38 PM
What a wonderful stylist! Don't lose her! :cheese:

Hotrox
August 5th, 2010, 08:40 PM
:D

What an awesome hairdresser!! She's a keeper :agree:

Still, I can understand the shock. I like to plan, think about my trips to the hair salon ages before I go and look forward to the nice head massage. If I was ushered in and out in a few minutes I'd feel a bit disorientated too

whiteisle
August 5th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Yes, she is wonderful. She's the only person I've ever been to in which you can go ages before needing a trim because her cuts grow out soooooo nicely! Usually, I'm hating a cut a few weeks afterwards but not with her.

And to top things, I actually had to wait 30 minutes because she was running behind. So yes, disoriented could be an accurate descripiton. It was not at all what I was expecting to happen. I truly had myself braced for a little bit of disappointment because I'd be loosing some length today. Instead I feel like I actually gained some length! (as weird as that may sound)

beez1717
August 5th, 2010, 08:47 PM
omg you have the best hair dresser in the world. I'm so jealous!!!

ghost
August 5th, 2010, 08:48 PM
That IS a bit odd, but she sounds like a keeper. Maybe your hair didn't really need a trim?

christine1989
August 5th, 2010, 08:50 PM
A little odd but she is obviously trying to help you in growing out your hair. Heck, sending you away is MUCH better than hacking off too much without asking. ;)

Juneii
August 5th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Not many hairstylists would do something like that, looks like she values beautiful hair above money :D you are quite lucky!

whiteisle
August 5th, 2010, 08:53 PM
She obviously didn't think it needed trimming and who am I to argue over that?!?! lol

And yes, no trim is absolutely better than a hack job, any day! Been there, done that, hope to never return! ;)

Gumball
August 5th, 2010, 08:54 PM
That is incredible that she is really supportive of your growth journey. Fortunately she evened you up before she let you go. You're lucky to have a hairdresser that supports you like that!

Cheeks1206
August 5th, 2010, 08:55 PM
What a wonderful stylist! Don't lose her! :cheese:

x 1,000! That's amazing!

I guess your ends are in good enough shape that they don't even need a little trim. Good work!

Autumns Veil
August 5th, 2010, 08:55 PM
If wish we were lucky to have a stylist like her. I can't tell you how many times my hair has been hacked, not just by a stylist either. Myself included ;)

sarah061
August 5th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Wow, I've never heard of that happening before! Sounds like a good stylist for a long hair to have :) Sorry you had to wait so long to see her though, that must have been pretty annoying!

whiteisle
August 5th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I do feel fortunate that she is not only talented but understanding as well.

Then again, the thought has occured to me that perhaps she thinks I'll be returning to her chair sometime again with short hair pics in hand asking her to chop it all off. Perhaps she's just biding her time and humoring me.............nah! She really is awesome!

Side note: my mom, who went through chemo last year finally got to the point of needing a hair cut (yay!!!! :cheese:) She decided to stay short and took pics of Halle Berry. This lady did a phenomenal job! My mom looks like 15 years just fell away.

Kome
August 5th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Woah! Awesome stylist! Go her for actually caring about your hair and what you want. :)

Ashley0507
August 5th, 2010, 09:06 PM
That's awesome!

whiteisle
August 5th, 2010, 09:13 PM
x 1,000! That's amazing!

I guess your ends are in good enough shape that they don't even need a little trim. Good work!

I was hoping they would be ok. I've binged on bad hair care for a couple of months since it was cut short. Sulfates, cones, the blowfryer, eep!!! But I've since found my senses and am committed once again to good hair care. Hopefully, my poor hair hasn't suffered too badly.

UltraBella
August 6th, 2010, 12:37 AM
As an owner of two salons, I have seen this happen before. It's usually because :
A. The client really doesn't need a trim.
B. The stylist is running behind schedule.
C. A combination of both.
Considering you said you had to wait 30 minutes, I think your answer may be C. That is the average time scheduled for a general trim. At the time you sat down in her chair, it was most likely time for the person after you to be arriving. I am in no way saying she is not fantastic, there just might have been a bit more going on than you not needing a trim yet.......

Phexlyn
August 6th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Lucky you for having a hairdresser like her :)
But I can relate to your feeling of disorientation :o

melikai
August 6th, 2010, 04:42 AM
LOL! I would have given her a huge tip! :D

hmmm
August 6th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I had a Chinese hairdresser who shouted "I KILL YOU" when I told her I wanted to have my hair cut short. She did it, of course, but she totally scared me for a minute.

Alvrodul
August 6th, 2010, 08:44 AM
As some may know I lost 6"+ around the beginning of April due to a "I've gotta have a change" moment. No regrets other than having to start over again. :p

So today I was going to have a trim. My plan o' action this time around is to grow out in style even if it takes a bit longer to reach my goals. LOL So I figured I needed a little shaping up - it's been about 4 months. Instead of herding me to the sink she sits me in her chair first. (Odd) She then starts picking up hair here and there, looking, muttering saying "we shouldn't cut the back 'cause we're growing, shouldn't cut the front (again, because we're growing)............it's falling nicely......come back in a few months when it hits shoulder length. The we'll start shaping it up a bit." :agape: Huh?

Oh, wait. Tip your head to the right...trim, trim, trim. Yep. That's good. Just evened that up a bit since that side grows faster. See ya! I'm still in disbelief. :thud:
Unbelievable!! A hairdresser who doesn't unsheathe her scissors as soon as she sees you coming through the door!:thudpile:

whiteisle
August 6th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I had a Chinese hairdresser who shouted "I KILL YOU" when I told her I wanted to have my hair cut short. She did it, of course, but she totally scared me for a minute.

Funny you posted that.............she is Chinese! :D

melikai
August 6th, 2010, 11:12 AM

:rolling: .....

Morgaine
August 6th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I never met a hairstylist would do something like that!
You're lucky!
I'm jealous too ;-)

ArcticNights
August 6th, 2010, 11:32 AM
You are very lucky indeed. A hairdresser I really liked kicked me out because I did not want those short and fancy cuts that would bring me into the salon every 4-6 weeks for upkeeping :rolleyes:

Oh well.... I`m much happier now :p

tinti
August 6th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Wow :) You're lucky :) I just ask my mom eery 4 months "Do I need a trim?" Usually the answer is no, so then I just wait a couple of months :)

FrannyG
August 6th, 2010, 02:39 PM
That's a great story. I love hearing about the good hairstylists! :)

hmmm
August 7th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Funny you posted that.............she is Chinese! :D

Aha! They must all have the same instructions :lol:

Zindell
August 7th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Good lord, wish I could find a hair stylist like that!

As it is now I only let my DD15 trim my hair. :)

going gray
August 7th, 2010, 10:06 AM
You're very lucky indeed, she certainly is a keeper!

heidi w.
August 7th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Sounds to me as though she's paying attention to your goals and trying to be supportive of that.

I wouldn't say this is a "kicking you out" scenario.

It also appears that she's paying attention to the uniqueness of your head of hair, in that she's aware of which side grows faster or slower. That absolutely does occur on a lot of people's heads. (In George Michael world, this is sometimes referred to as a "weak spot"....and I have one.)

I actually concur with her. IF you're trying to grow out, then too frequent of trims, particularly too much removal (more than 1/2 inch -- hair grows supposedly 1/2 inch per month, although seasonally this can change; and different heads, even on the same head, grow at different rates sometimes -- and you seem to be that person)...then you're undoing your stated goals.

So she's doing you a favor by being honest with you given your stated goals to her. That's what you pay her for.

She's a keeper.
Remember, this type of stylist also deserved a big tip, particularly if they give you any freebies at times.

heidi w.

BlackVulture
August 7th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Good stylists like that are hard to find, congrats. It's amazing to have a professional hairstylist that respects and supports your goals, versus chopping whatever off wherever and ripping you off, I know because I've had some nasty experiences and many others have as well.

LorelaiAmethyst
August 7th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Your stylist is made of awesomeness. Don't lose her! =)

elina333
August 8th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Very odd, but awesome! :D

ButterCream
August 8th, 2010, 10:46 AM
When I read the title of the thread I was so shocked, "the stylist, she did what?? How ruuuude":mad:
And when I read it wasn`t really about that at all luckily..

Sounded she was really behing on the schedule when it was your turn then.
But glad she was so supportive of your growing it, not many would do like she did!
If your hair had been really bad she would have fixed it, so your hair didn`t need that much trim, that must have great news.
She sounds like a keeper to me!:D