PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to sleep in a rope braid?

QueenBea
May 18th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I try to braid my hair at night to keep oils off my breaking-out-too-much jawline, but they come out. French or regular.

I did a rope braid last night (cool! hadn't tried it, and it's SHORT, only 2 or 3 twists, but can't wait until I can use it as a real style) and it STAYED all night.

I can't imagine it would be any more damaging than sleeping on a regular braid, but I wanted to check with the "experts", lol

Bea

florenonite
May 18th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I've done rope braids overnight before. They give pretty waves ^.^

jojo
May 18th, 2008, 06:45 AM
me too shouldn't damage your hair

MemSahib
May 18th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Why not?

Grrrrrr... this thing is telling me (once again) that my entry is too short. So much for the brief, pithy answer!

Peggy E.
May 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Why not?

Grrrrrr... this thing is telling me (once again) that my entry is too short. So much for the brief, pithy answer!

That's okay. We can all imagine just how "brief" and "pithy" you can be in real life! ;o)

I couldn't imagine why a rope braid would be more harmful than a three-strand cross-over braid (I was going to say "regular" braid, but I'm not "brief" and "pithy" like MemSahib!).

In fact, if not wound tightly, the rope braid might well be even better for your hair.

I'm curious, when you make a "regular" braid for sleeping, do you secure it first, then braid it, or do you just braid it?

With a rope braid, are you securing it, or just braiding it? I can't do a rope braid without putting my hair in a pony and then doing the rope.

This would hold the braid in better, too, which is why I ask....

Meli
May 18th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Of course you can sleep with a rope braid if it works fine for you. Just something to be aware of - on my hair, rope braids cause too much twisting and increased number of splits. But this might not be a problem with less fragile hair than mine.

QueenBea
May 18th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Well, I'll keep trying the rope braids :) They are very cool looking.

Don't ask me how I did it without fastening a pony tail first; beginner's luck? :) I just split it, twisted one, clipped it to my head with a claw clip, did the other side. Then unclipped Twist 1, twisted both together (in the opposite direction) and amazingly had a cool little rope braid.

On my regular braids, I had not done a pony either; just started at the nape, or did a french braid. I don't know why they keep falling out. Bear in mind, my hair is between shoulder and APL, so pretty shortish :) and VERY thick, so my little braid stub is like 4 or 5" long. I think I need to buy some of those terrycloth tiny hair bands. Part of the problem is that my bathroom ponytail band is about 10 years old and not very stretchy and doens' thave much staying power :)

I'll hit Walmart tomorrow.

***I believe this is my 100th post!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Bea

In fact, if not wound tightly, the rope braid might well be even better for your hair.

I'm curious, when you make a "regular" braid for sleeping, do you secure it first, then braid it, or do you just braid it?

With a rope braid, are you securing it, or just braiding it? I can't do a rope braid without putting my hair in a pony and then doing the rope.

This would hold the braid in better, too, which is why I ask....

Chamomile betty
May 18th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I wear rope braids with no problems. I do switch back and forth between the braid and a high bun. I think the braid keeps the tangles underneath to a minimum.

I agree, nice waves the next morning.

Kayleena
May 3rd, 2010, 10:11 PM
Hi, everyone! :waving: Yes, I think it is okay to sleep in a rope braid. I rope-braid it wet after washing my hair when I want somewhat spirally waves in my hair the next day. This works as long as it dries completely. I have to make a ponytail first, whether it's a 2-strand rope braid, a herringbone braid, or a regular 3-strand braid; otherwise, the braids won't stay in. Even with the securing, they do end up looking fuzzy after just a few hours -- usually some hairs escape at least partially. Happy braiding! :bluesmile

IcarusBride
May 3rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
I don't imagine it would be any worse than a regular braid.
I've recently started braiding my hair before bed; previously I NEVER did, but it does seem to reduce my shedding. I'm not sure, because I've never had super-long hair, but I think that the longer your hair gets, the easier it will stay in a braid through the night. I use very loose cloth elastics to avoid pinching my hair too much, and recently the braids have been lasting through the night much more frequently they did a few inches ago...
Good luck!

Loreley
May 3rd, 2010, 10:54 PM
It's not worse than an usual braid in my opinion. I usually wear an English braid in bed but just because a. I can't do a proper rope braid, b. my hair is thinning down to the ends and looks strange with a rope braid.