PDA

View Full Version : Is Mineral Oil Bad for Hair?

sarah061
August 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I've been wondering this for ages now - I bought this Amla oil from an Indian grocery store and the first ingredient is actually mineral oil! (And then coconut oil, and then amla...)

I bought it hoping that the oil would penetrate the hair shaft and hydrate my dry ends / prevent dryness and damage.

Is this stuff doing anything good or is the mineral oil mainly just creating shine?

Thanks for your help/opinions! :D

spidermom
August 5th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't call mineral oil bad, but I would think it's pretty neutral as far as hair is concerned. It makes a great barrier for protecting baby butts from urine, and it's cheap. But your hair won't absorb it or benefit. I don't know if it will prevent your hair from absorbing that good coconut oil or not, but if urine is an issue, you'll be good to go. (haha, sick joke; sorry)

lastnite
August 5th, 2010, 07:27 PM
according to the cosmeticcop (http://www.cosmeticscop.com/dictionary_term.aspx?tid=1609&lid=520&term=mineral+oil), she says it's ok and doesn't clog pores. but that is regarding skin, and she isn't too keen on natural products (she often says essential oils irritate skin).

Some people have said it kinda acts like cones and doesn't let other ingredients get to your hair. I have noticed it doesn't seem to absorb into my hair like coconut and other oils do, like if I put the mineral oil based stuff on before bed it will still be just as oily looking in the morning,... while coconut oil will sink into my hair and won't look so greasy in the morning.

I still have 2 whole bottles of the mineral oil based amla oil, so I've just been using it on my scalp to just use it up. It's a little hard to find nice Indian herbal oils without the mineral oil, but I think I'll avoid them after I finish up what I have. It's too bad though, because some of the oils would be awesome if they didn't have the mineral oil in it...

sarah061
August 5th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't call mineral oil bad, but I would think it's pretty neutral as far as hair is concerned. It makes a great barrier for protecting baby butts from urine, and it's cheap. But your hair won't absorb it or benefit. I don't know if it will prevent your hair from absorbing that good coconut oil or not, but if urine is an issue, you'll be good to go. (haha, sick joke; sorry)

Lmao, thanks Spidermom! Good to know I'm safe on the urine-front!

according to the cosmeticcop (http://www.cosmeticscop.com/dictionary_term.aspx?tid=1609&lid=520&term=mineral+oil), she says it's ok and doesn't clog pores. but that is regarding skin, and she isn't too keen on natural products (she often says essential oils irritate skin).

Some people have said it kinda acts like cones and doesn't let other ingredients get to your hair. I have noticed it doesn't seem to absorb into my hair like coconut and other oils do, like if I put the mineral oil based stuff on before bed it will still be just as oily looking in the morning,... while coconut oil will sink into my hair and won't look so greasy in the morning.

I still have 2 whole bottles of the mineral oil based amla oil, so I've just been using it on my scalp to just use it up. It's a little hard to find nice Indian herbal oils without the mineral oil, but I think I'll avoid them after I finish up what I have. It's too bad though, because some of the oils would be awesome if they didn't have the mineral oil in it...

And that's interesting lastnite! I guess I'll just keep putting a bit on my hair post-shower as it is good for creating shine. And hopefully I'll use it up sometime within this decade and can move on to better things, like pure coconut.

LaurelSpring
August 5th, 2010, 08:25 PM
The only time I have used mineral oil on my hair was to strip color out of it. When I used chemical dyes and it took too darkly I would use mineral oil. There is a product that I think I remember is called something like Metalax that was recommended especially for stripping color from your hair. I went to Sally's once to get it and the main ingredient was mineral oil. It was expensive so I just went and bought mineral oil istead. So, if its used to strip color from hair I cant imagine that it would be very good for it.

sarah061
August 5th, 2010, 09:11 PM
The only time I have used mineral oil on my hair was to strip color out of it. When I used chemical dyes and it took too darkly I would use mineral oil. There is a product that I think I remember is called something like Metalax that was recommended especially for stripping color from your hair. I went to Sally's once to get it and the main ingredient was mineral oil. It was expensive so I just went and bought mineral oil istead. So, if its used to strip color from hair I cant imagine that it would be very good for it.

Omg :bigeyes: That's terrible! Even though I probably shouldn't have I recently colored my hair so I definitely don't want that to be happening! Maybe I'll stop using it to be safe...

ChloeDharma
August 5th, 2010, 11:56 PM
It will act as a good barrier protecting the hair, so i would think in winter time it could be usefull. Unfortunately though i would imagine it might interfere with the abilitly of the coconut oil to penetrate the hair shaft and also the ability of the amla to penetrate the scalp and do its job there.

Mineral oil also can build up easily and need a strong cleanser like SLS to remove it.

If i were you i'd try to find another amla oil that does not contain mineral oil. Dabur vatika enriched coconut oil is quite nice and contains amla :)

UltraBella
August 6th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I think its interesting that cosmeticcop says it doesn't clog pores. Mineral oil is on the very top of the list of ingredients to avoid that my dermatologist gave me, it is listed as "acne causing" and I have always had a problem with it. It is also one of the most common oils to be allergic to. I stear far away from anything that lists it as an ingredient.

Gilly
August 6th, 2010, 01:36 AM
My hair seems to love Mineral Oil but hates Cones, I have been using the Garnier nutri-oil butter mask and that is full of it, my hair feels amazing!:cheese:

Catarina
August 6th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I guess it depends on your hair. My hair is much too fine for mineral oil and it will just lay flat. But as someone else said they find it works well for them, so you just have to see how it works for you.
What's bad for someone, will be great for someone else.

morecowbell
August 6th, 2010, 04:38 AM
I think its interesting that cosmeticcop says it doesn't clog pores. Mineral oil is on the very top of the list of ingredients to avoid that my dermatologist gave me, it is listed as "acne causing" and I have always had a problem with it. It is also one of the most common oils to be allergic to. I stear far away from anything that lists it as an ingredient.

Ditto! That kind of shocked me too! I get a rash on my body when I use something with too high a concentration of mineral oil, and I wouldn't dream of using it on my face for that reason. I stay away from using it in my hair because my hair touches my face quite a bit.

storytellerzero
August 6th, 2010, 05:10 AM
As far as I know, mineral oil is a derivative of petroleum, crude oil like that made into gasoline. It is a common ingredient in a lot of cosmetic and body products but it is one to avoid. Here is the link for a web article on how it affects skin.

http://www.herballuxuries.com/about-mineral-oil.html

Since the length of hair is dead, it won't have quite the same effect, but it can on the scalp. Whether to use it or not depends on the individual. Some say it works for them. Some people also like silicone in their hair products. I prefer to treat my hair with jojoba and meadowfoam oil.