PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking hairstyles?

*Aoife*
August 5th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I'm going hosteling very soon and I just got my backpack. It's like these http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/shopping_admin/product_details/product.cgi?product=R7141&cat=Packs%20And%20Luggage&sub=Packs%20And%20Luggage--Multi%20-%20Day%20Hiking .The top of the pack presses against the back of my head and if I have a bun then the bag presses against it and hurts my scalp and I'm worried about wearing braids and getting them caught under the straps of the backpack, which would both hurt my scalp and give me split ends. I'm wondering if any of you lovely folk can help me with a hairstyle that works around the bag :)

Oh and I can't do any twists or tucks. I've been trying to learn since before I found LHC and over a year later I still can't do them :o

apynip
August 5th, 2010, 05:58 PM
could you do a crown braid? or something of the like? :/ honestly i'd say braids would be teh best and tie them up in a loop or two buns on the sides?

Best that i've got honestly its been a while since i have been back packing.

teela1978
August 5th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I've always managed fine with one or two braids. Usually 2. If you're outside wear a bandana or hat to keep your part from burning if you wear 2 though.

VanillaTresses
August 5th, 2010, 06:02 PM
When I have gone backpacking with long hair, I have always had very good luck with braids too. I either did two side braids, a french braid, or a high ponytail that was then braided.

kittensoupnrice
August 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Last time I went on a long flight, where the seat was going to be rubbing the back of my head, I had a lot of luck with a dutch crown braid. I bet Heidi braids would work, well, too.

If you do hair-taping, I hear that hair-taped crown braids can stay pretty nice for several days, too, without re-doing.

GeoJ
August 5th, 2010, 06:08 PM
If I were in that situation, I would probably wear milkmaid braids/Heidi braids, and then cover it with a bandanna or scarf.

Since your hair is 23", I think the braid ends will meet at the top of your head. My DD's hair is 27" and her milkmaid braids overlap by about 6 or 7 inches.

darkwaves
August 5th, 2010, 06:14 PM
You might be interested in a Buff head covering, too. I wear one camping and hiking -- keeps the wispies from knotting, and can be used to enclose all hair, or as a headband, scarf, scrunchy or more. (http://www.buyabuff.com/)

ghost
August 5th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I like milkmaid braids -they get everything up and out of the way, and if you use French or Dutch braids, they hold very tightly. Once, I left mine in for 3 days.

Another thing i like to try is doing a French or Dutch braid partway down my head, like I'm starting to do a full one, but gathering up most of my hair in a high ponytail instead of continuing the French braid. Then, I braid that in a simple 3-strand braid and pin it into a bun. I have better success with that than trying to bun a whole French braid. It keeps your hair under control really well, and you get gorgeous waves when you take it out.

florenonite
August 6th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I generally do one or two braids and make sure they're either long enough to stay over my shoulder or I hold them out of the way when I put the pack on :shrug:

trolleypup
August 6th, 2010, 06:22 PM
It is too late now, but there are backpacks that have space for a fairly large bun built into their structure.

HikerTrash
August 6th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Another option is one big braid done on one side behind the ear. I wore my hair like that for about 1500 miles n the Pacific Crest Trail.

Indigo Girl
August 6th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I love backpacking, and my camping pack is enormous. I always wear a baseball cap, with my hair in an oiled braid and then drape it over the backpack.

When I need to take my pack off, I make sure to swing my braid out of the way first.

trolleypup
August 6th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Another option is one big braid done on one side behind the ear. I wore my hair like that for about 1500 miles n the Pacific Crest Trail.
Cool. Most of time I've spent on the PCT has been work trips, and the combination of Ponyscrub On my hair) and Occipital Cup (in the pack I use for sawing trips) works perfectly.

Otherwise, pony scrub on rougher trails/backpacking, dayhiking on nice trails (like most of the PCT) I can generally get away with my usual single stick bun...just redo it every 10 miles or so. :rolleyes:

When I need to take my pack off, I make sure to swing my braid out of the way first.
Mmhmm...I remember doing that with one of my old packs that didn't have bun space...inevitably the braid would get stuck or partially stuck from time to time. Love the ponyscrub...all contained and can stay in for days...and hair comes out untangled and merely with bunwaves.

Indigo Girl
August 6th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Love the ponyscrub...all contained and can stay in for days...and hair comes out untangled and merely with bunwaves.

I've been thinking about getting one of those...I think it would come in really helpful with my lifestyle. Is there a specific place you recommend getting one?

trolleypup
August 6th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I've been thinking about getting one of those...I think it would come in really helpful with my lifestyle. Is there a specific place you recommend getting one?
Blue Sky Scrubs (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/categories/Scrub-Hats/Women's-Scrub-Hats/Pony-Collection/) are the people who make them. they aren't particularly cheap, but pretty bombproof for active lifestyles, very protective, and if you are in a hot/dryer area, wick sweat so it doesn't drip...in humid areas, probably wouldn't work quite as well with that though.

Being able to have hair that isn't all messed up and tangled and full of yeef when you get back to the trailhead is pretty awesome! (After two days up in the heat, doing heavy trail maintenance.) (http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/060430-151938-ponyscrub-trio-med.jpg)

Indigo Girl
August 7th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Blue Sky Scrubs (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/categories/Scrub-Hats/Women's-Scrub-Hats/Pony-Collection/) are the people who make them. they aren't particularly cheap, but pretty bombproof for active lifestyles, very protective, and if you are in a hot/dryer area, wick sweat so it doesn't drip...in humid areas, probably wouldn't work quite as well with that though.

Being able to have hair that isn't all messed up and tangled and full of yeef when you get back to the trailhead is pretty awesome! (After two days up in the heat, doing heavy trail maintenance.) (http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/060430-151938-ponyscrub-trio-med.jpg)

Awesome, awesome awesome!!! Thanks much! :flower:

Darkhorse1
August 7th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I got a buff from a jogging store in my town and LOVE it!! It wicks away sweat and you can wear it under a baseball hat.

Another style I've just started to do is wear a baseball hat, braid the length through it (plain english braid), then loop the tail through the gap until it doesn't hang anymore. I wear these holders to keep my bra straps from slipping and my hair always gets caught in them if I wear a tank top.

I know Dianyla does a lot of hiking/pack packing and she has photos of her with twin braids. I would think it depends on your activity preferences. When I'm active, I don't want my hair in my face at all--including a long braid tail.

Kiffer Fadybugs
August 7th, 2010, 02:52 PM
What about a high bun? Like.. top of the head. My hair is so thick and I have so much of it, that I can only do buns really high up. Any lower and the weight pulls on my scalp too much.