PDA

View Full Version : My cat ate my hair

lillylonghair
August 5th, 2010, 03:59 PM
No really,my cat ate my hair. Okay,so I have this little short pieces right by ears. I assumed they were so short from my DD pulling my hair and post partum shedding. WRONG! I woke up this morning due to a weird tickling feeling and come to find out my cat Bella was munching my hair!!!!!:confused:

What is that about? I couldn't believe it. Now I'm wondering how long has she been doing this for? I'm not mad or anything. It is kind of funny. I just think that it is so bizarre! I guess I'm going to have to rethink how I wear my hair for bed.

renarok
August 5th, 2010, 04:02 PM
My cat is obsessed with my hair. I don't think it is uncommon for cats to maul hair. Especially when they love you.

JenniferNoel
August 5th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Have any kind of tasty-smelling oils or products in it? :confused:
My cats could care less about my hair. If I was bald, they wouldn't notice.

lillylonghair
August 5th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Have any kind of tasty-smelling oils or products in it? :confused:
My cats could care less about my hair. If I was bald, they wouldn't notice.

Well,I know they love cocnut oil but it was not an oil night for me! Whenever I apply coconut or olive oil my boy cat Lucius comes up and licks it off my hands.:)

ElusiveMuse
August 5th, 2010, 04:10 PM
My old cat was obsessed with my hair.

At night he would obsessively comb it with his claws and groom/munch it. Whenever I would flip my head over to brush or gather my hair on top of my head for a bun, he would streak in from wherever he was in the house and rapturously bury himself in my dangling hair. He would get so entangled he'd draw blood (not on purpose).

I miss that little nut :(

Nae
August 5th, 2010, 04:18 PM
This is another good reason, besides allergies, for me to keep my cat outta my room at night! Can you just, lock her out or something?

Schmoomunitions
August 5th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Awwwwww ! She LOVES YOU!!!!

ElusiveMuse
August 5th, 2010, 04:30 PM
This is another good reason, besides allergies, for me to keep my cat outta my room at night! Can you just, lock her out or something?

My cat would body slam the door and meow angrily all night if I did that! Sometimes I wonder who owned whom.

Nae
August 5th, 2010, 04:59 PM
My cat would body slam the door and meow angrily all night if I did that! Sometimes I wonder who owned whom.

Yeah, I could see that being a problem. I had to keep my kitty out of my room since he was a baby, he just doesn't bother since he has never had access. He demands to sleep in my daughter's room instead. I love him tons I just couldn't have him near where I was sleeping because I would be sneezing constantly instead of snoozing. I think the early training is the only reason I have any luck with it.

I do hope you can find some solution to your hair eating cat problem. Does your kitty have more problems with hairballs than the normal cat?

Speckla
August 5th, 2010, 05:02 PM
My cat used to lick my hair and face when I had coconut oil on. :)

SpinDance
August 5th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Cats don't have owners, they have staff. Or so I've read. :) Mine likes to play with my hair. In fact, he's sitting on the chair behind me as I type, and a second ago I took out the Flexi and my hair tumbled down. Cat immediately attacked it.....

julliams
August 6th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Our cat gets locked in the laundry from about 12am to 7am. She seems fine with it. If I don't lock her in there she roams about the house and meows at my bedroom door at 4am for some attention.

She has her bed in the laundry as well as food and water. We used to have a litter tray but we have since done away with it and she has only had one accident so far. i got this tip from my sister who owns 4 cats and was finding the litter tray a real drag. She got rid of it and the cats have learned to do their business when they are outside. You could probably only do this with an older cat though. Our cat is about 6 or 7 years old.

wvgemini
August 6th, 2010, 05:48 AM
My cat used to climb on the back of the couch and maul/munch/lick my hair. Then he would nuzzle the back of my head till he fell asleep.

ElusiveMuse
August 6th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Outside cats tend to have much shorter life spans, so I don't mind keeping a litter box. :)

scottishsttr
August 6th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Lestat got his name because he used to come up behind me on the back of the couch and try to suck on the little hairs at the nape of my neck. He misses having a couch to sit on and stick his nose in the back of my hair......

countryhopper
August 6th, 2010, 08:55 AM
That is really funny!

I DEFINATELY don't recommend catnip rinses for you! Could you imagine??!

dropinthebucket
August 6th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Cats are so funny - mine takes little nips once in a while of the hair on my crown, but it seems like cat behaviour, the way they nip at the scruff of the neck with other cats. If the cat is actually eating the hair, though, that might be different - a friend of mine worked in Indonesia for a while, back about 30 years ago, and at night, sometimes large spiders (I think she said they were bird spiders, about the size of a saucer) could crawl up onto your shoulder and nibble your hair in the night, leaving missing chunks - apparently, they do/did this for extra protein. Is your cat's food high enough in protein, maybe?? Dunno, just a thought.

EvaSimone
August 6th, 2010, 08:59 AM
My kitty uses my hair as an alarm clock for me, when it's breakfast time he will meow sweetly, nudge me gently a few times and then go in for the kill which is grabbing my hair and pulling until I wake up. :lol:

lillylonghair
August 6th, 2010, 09:05 AM
That is really funny!

I DEFINATELY don't recommend catnip rinses for you! Could you imagine??!

I won't be doing that anytime soon!!!

lillylonghair
August 6th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Cats are so funny - mine takes little nips once in a while of the hair on my crown, but it seems like cat behaviour, the way they nip at the scruff of the neck with other cats. If the cat is actually eating the hair, though, that might be different - a friend of mine worked in Indonesia for a while, back about 30 years ago, and at night, sometimes large spiders (I think she said they were bird spiders, about the size of a saucer) could crawl up onto your shoulder and nibble your hair in the night, leaving missing chunks - apparently, they do/did this for extra protein. Is your cat's food high enough in protein, maybe?? Dunno, just a thought.

Hhhmm since we've moved we switched their food to a hairball formula since they seem to be getting lots of hairballs here. Maybe I need to look into that!

Elistariel
August 6th, 2010, 09:30 AM
My cat from a few years ago used to chew on my hair to the point it would get coated in cat slobber if I wasn't paying attention.

mordiana
August 6th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I also have a hair obsessed cat (I have 3 cats, but only one is hair obsessed), she doesn't eat it, but she does catch and then chew it while purring. Since its just my ends and I have a lot of hair anyway I let her do it when she feels like it. My other cat just licks skin (a lót) and the third one is more of a common cat that will place herself on your lap.

I always like it a lot when my cats attempt to groom me, its really a sign of trust if they lick your skin or hair and it does mean they like you a lot; they also do it to other cats they like a lot, I have one cat who is the mother of my other cat and they also groom eachother, so I feel honoured they also do it to me (mother is the hair-biter, daughter is the skin-groomer).

Cheeks1206
August 6th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Animals are so funny! Foals will sometimes eat momma horse's tail, so I wonder if they get some nutritional benefit out of it? Perhaps it is the same with your cat?

Hylia
August 6th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Mine does too, and so does my bunny! I think it is a way of them grooming you.

VanillaTresses
August 6th, 2010, 10:06 AM
My brother's girlfriend has this problem too. Their cat eats chunks of her hair out, literally. I wonder if there is something that you could rinse in the hair to make it taste extremely bad to the cat?

P.S. I totally agree with countryhopper, think of the disaster it would be with catnip rinses! Oh my!

RedStripe
August 6th, 2010, 10:09 AM
My cat from a few years ago used to chew on my hair to the point it would get coated in cat slobber if I wasn't paying attention.

Eeew, catslobber! I have a hard enough time with it when the cat slobbers all over my hand (he doesn't seem to go for hair -- yet -- but for some reason he is preoccupied with licking and nipping my hands).

lillylonghair
August 6th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I also have a hair obsessed cat (I have 3 cats, but only one is hair obsessed), she doesn't eat it, but she does catch and then chew it while purring. Since its just my ends and I have a lot of hair anyway I let her do it when she feels like it. My other cat just licks skin (a lót) and the third one is more of a common cat that will place herself on your lap.

I always like it a lot when my cats attempt to groom me, its really a sign of trust if they lick your skin or hair and it does mean they like you a lot; they also do it to other cats they like a lot, I have one cat who is the mother of my other cat and they also groom eachother, so I feel honoured they also do it to me (mother is the hair-biter, daughter is the skin-groomer).

My boy cat loves to groom me and when I was pregnant he would sniff and lick my stomach.:D

my2cats1
August 6th, 2010, 08:34 PM
My cat grooms me, too.....and since I don't trust his hairdressing skills, I sleep with a silk sleep cap.

of course, when I do that he then moves to my eyebrows. :rolleyes:

sarahbrownie
August 6th, 2010, 08:47 PM
My friend use to have a cat that liked to chew at the roots. It was kinda weird and freaked me out (the sensation of it was somewhat ticklish!) and did it while you slept or laying down. None of my current kitties do anything like that, though my one kitty drools a lot if she's excited. I'm convinced they are both special needs cats, they're get overstimulated quickly by touching and won't calm down.

exile2600
August 6th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I hate when I wake up to find the cat messing with me. It's very disturbing. Sometimes, I pretend I'm sleeping just to see what he's up to. He generally just taps my face or is licking my face or arms. Mostly, he just stares at me. The cat has groomed my husband's hair, but he has a buzzcut. Mine must be too long for the cat's taste.

When I was 9 I used to let my dog chew my hair. Weird, I know, but it was a game. Until I chopped it off. When I got home after that haircut, he wouldn't let me near him. He was barking, growling and biting at me. It was like I was a stranger in his territory. I wondered if he didn't recognize me, but he's a dog. He can smell people and knows who we were. I think he was just angry I chopped it! He was a meanie like that.

Juneii
August 6th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I hate when I wake up to find the cat messing with me. It's very disturbing. Sometimes, I pretend I'm sleeping just to see what he's up to. He generally just taps my face or is licking my face or arms. Mostly, he just stares at me. The cat has groomed my husband's hair, but he has a buzzcut. Mine must be too long for the cat's taste.

When I was 9 I used to let my dog chew my hair. Weird, I know, but it was a game. Until I chopped it off. When I got home after that haircut, he wouldn't let me near him. He was barking, growling and biting at me. It was like I was a stranger in his territory. I wondered if he didn't recognize me, but he's a dog. He can smell people and knows who we were. I think he was just angry I chopped it! He was a meanie like that.

That is really cute! I really want a pet now!

I'm fairly certain all the hair munching and licking is a way to show their affection and love since they can't talk to us :)

Speckla
August 6th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Every try to do yoga with a hair crazed cat? Downward dog turns into go away cat!

CourtneyBee
August 6th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Chiming in to say this thread title made me crack up! I want a kitty to be tangled up in my hair :(

missfortune9335
August 6th, 2010, 10:13 PM
back in the day when I had a cat he would chew on my hair close to my scalp in the mornings while I was still in bed, he was grooming me just like he did to his own fur. I had to shoo him away because, really buddy I own a brush :) but I always figured it was his way of accepting me into his little kitty world

Mariah!!
August 6th, 2010, 10:15 PM
No really,my cat ate my hair................ I woke up this morning due to a weird tickling feeling and come to find out my cat Bella was munching my hair!!!!!:confused:
:spitting:LOL!! I love the way you said that. *sigh*

ilovelonghair
August 7th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Does walking over hair count? Both my cats do that LOL