PDA

View Full Version : Scalp hates cone-free?

GlassEyes
May 18th, 2008, 04:17 AM
So I'm a CO washer who uses baking soda to clarify my hair. I CO off and on almost everyday (I'm a compulsive washer). I haven't used baking soda in three weeks though, so I doubt that's the problem I'm going to discuss here, and I'm considering going back to shampoo anyway for clarifying.

So here's the problem; my scalp has been wonky since I started being cone-free, specifically in the back of my head where the hair 'whorls' out from. I think this is because it has a little more exposure than the rest of my head, maybe. The rest of it isn't great either, but it doesn't hurt. I've always had sensitive scalp in that area, but when I was using cones (and believe me, I was basically frosting my hair with layer upon layer of them; I went through a bottle of leave-in in two weeks, and gel in four, with hairspray etc.) it wasn't as irritated. Not even hairspray bothered it.

My mom thinks it's from my pony tail, but I doubt it. It hurts without one. Any opinions? I've tried putting aloe on the spot, oiling it, andeven using miconazle in case it was something fungal, but I don't think that's the problem (XD).

kate46
May 18th, 2008, 10:08 AM
This does seem a little strange, it seems odd that your scalp should play up with one less ingredient in your product i.e. cones. Could it just be that particular conditioner that is causing the problem? Have you tried a different coneless conditioner? If you have then i'm stumped :confused:

Unofficial_Rose
May 18th, 2008, 12:06 PM
As Kate says, it could be something else in the coneless conditioner your scalp doesn't like.

Then again, quite a few people on here seem to have reported itchy scalps with the CO method - me included! Maybe a gentle, pure shampoo would get whatever it is off. Might I suggest you massage a little olive oil into the scalp and leave overnight? it helps mine when it's dry :shrug:

Riot Crrl
May 18th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I agree it could be a specific ingredient in the new conditioner, but also maybe it misses the baking soda.

Tangles
May 18th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I use diluted shampoo on the scalp only, as do many others on this board. This solves the itchy scalp problem.

Kirin
May 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I'd say its likely not the cones, but the CO. When I tried CO for a month my scalp became extra sensitive, and I got sores as well. Went back to shampoo and conditioning, it went away.

I'm not sure if thats it in your case, but it could be.

GlassEyes
May 19th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Well, I've been sticking to the same LINE of conditioners for a bit now (VO5), but suave did the same thing.

I'lll give the diluted shampoo a shot. Maybe I'll go grab a bottle of that mint julep stuff...