PDA

View Full Version : can hair grow with a lot of split ends

ldc441
August 5th, 2010, 11:41 AM
i have alot of split ends and im wondering if it will still grow long with them or will i have to cut them off

my hair is breast length and my split ends are up to my collar bone

Jessica Trapp
August 5th, 2010, 11:42 AM
i have alot of split ends and im wondering if it will still grow long with them or will i have to cut them off

my hair is breast length and my split ends are up to my collar bone

Yes, but in my experience it is more likely to break off and harder to gain length.

Have you tried doing S&Ds?

:flower: jes

nicolezoie
August 5th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Your hair grows from your scalp, so technically yes it will grow with split ends. However, splits will cause tangling and that can cause breakage, which will minimize visual growth. Your hair might start breaking more than it grows, so with alot of splits your hair may end up looking like it's shrinking instead of growing.

GoddesJourney
August 5th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Of course. I know that you're using "growing" in the sense of getting longer, which is something many people on this board facetiously distort frequently. Some people find that splits don't travel up their hair and their hair continues to get longer. Some people find that their hair does not get longer because their hair splits and breaks at the same rate or faster than the actually growth. This depends a lot on your hair type and how damaged it is. It is my personal theory that once hair is sufficiently damaged, it is only a matter of time before it will need to be trimmed off. If not, it will become intolerable (tangle and break) regardless of products or moisture treatments. My healthy hair can last forever. My damaged hair will deteriorate in a matter of months. Everyone has different hair. How is yours?

trolleypup
August 5th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Splits don't much hinder my growth, just make it more difficult to deal with my hair if I don't keep up with S&D.

Yozhik
August 5th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Splits make my hair difficult to comb through without getting knots and pulling a lot of hair out; however, my hair is wavy/wurly whereas yours is straight, so maybe you won't have as many problems with splits as long as you treat your hair gently?

Nightshade
August 5th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I used to have a TON of damage and splits and I found it worked best to do very very tiny trims every month. Splits will keep breaking off, but keeping them in check will reduce damage and tangling.

There's an article on damaged hair in my siggy that goes into this in more detail if you're so inclined :flowers:

Qwackie
August 5th, 2010, 12:31 PM
For me, splits don't do anything.

You should get a conditioner like VO5 Split Ends to temporarly seal them. I use that whenever I get split ends and just apply it where it is.
I used to have really bad splits when I was younger, but I used some stuff to seal them daily until I had the corrage to cut them off.

squiggyflop
August 5th, 2010, 01:07 PM
for me too many splits can make it break off faster than its growing.. so my hair gets shorter and has thinner ends.. i self trim with hair scissors i got at walmart.. yup..

waidz
August 5th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I've been in both boats. My grew it's longest when I didn't ever cut, but I has alot of splits that travelled all the way up. In them end I had log hair which looked terrible. What looked like layers and a skew hem was actually terrible breakage from the splits.

In the end Id rather have healthy hair that grows as a consequence of that than long hair that looks terrible and I would have to cut eventually.

I agree with micro trims to slowly get the damaged ends, rather than drastic chops.

On that topic has anyone tried the Splitender ?

heynormy
August 5th, 2010, 01:58 PM
For me, split ends don't have an effect on the growth rate of my hair. I still get 1/2 an inch every month, however when I get too many split ends my ends turn into a tangled mess! I don't notice much breakage, but I get frustrated with tangles and end up chopping!

Kathie
August 5th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Yip, it will grow.

I had heaps of splits and kinks in my hair when I joined. I didn't like glancing down and seeing them so I S&D. That helped a lot. But I also had a small trim last month. I found a place where they cut hair dry so it really was a quick small trim :D Anyways this month when I see some hair haning down I havent seen a split or kniked hair in there :cheer: For me its just nicer to know that they're under control.... for now.

ghost
August 5th, 2010, 03:41 PM
It will still continue to grow out from your scalp, but you may not see the results you want along the length of your hair. If the splits are really out of control, they could cause your hair to be extremely flyaway/fluffy on the ends, and for the ends to tangle easily. The ends of your hair are the oldest, too, and in my experience, at least, they need to be kept in pretty good condition if you want to maintain long hair for a long time.
The least-traumatic way I've found to deal with split or otherwise damaged ends is to do very small trims every month (half an inch at most), and snip off any individual split ends I might find in between. I have had to do big chops, though, to get rid of large amounts of damage.

Jenn of Pence
August 5th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I agree; if it isn't too horrible, small trims plus S&D will help you keep length while growing. And the good haircare techniques you learn should decrease the number you get as you go along (it should, right? I still seem to get plenty ;)). That said, my hair was really damaged from excessive heat styling this winter (seriously, a zombie must have invaded my normal body because I was totally off my rocker treating it so badly!) that I really needed two inches off to make it decent looking. So, there are options depending on what you feel is best for the overall goal.

spidermom
August 5th, 2010, 03:48 PM
My split ends break off and travel upward, so it's best that I cut them off. I also like an even hem on the thick side, so I get regular trims (although not this year).

Mel
August 5th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hair will definitely grow with split ends. Before I cut my hair to a pixie length it was down to my waist and was almost all split ends. So yes it will grow. The problem is as your hair gets longer and you leave the split ends it tends to get unmanageable. I wish I had taken care of them with micro trims all along then maybe I wouldn't of had to do such a drastic cut. Now I'm growing out my hair again hopefully to hip length and I'm trying to keep it healthy along the way!

elina333
August 5th, 2010, 06:49 PM
My hair wouldnt grow for years due to all the damage. Now, after I found LCH in january, my hair is longer and more healthy than ever! :cheer:

My split ends made my hair break, which obvsiously stopped it from growing (or "getting longer" as it still actually grew from the roots :) ).

I suggest doing some S&D for a period of time, use coconut oil and see what happens. If no improvement, maybe you'll need a trim.

Good luck! :flower:

JenniferNoel
August 5th, 2010, 07:29 PM
They can and travel up the hair shaft over time, causing breakage, and although you may gain length, it probably won't be that good looking.
I went from shoulder to waist as a kid two or three times full of splits and it was scuzzy looking. :cheese:

HintOfMint
August 6th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I've had both kinds of damage, one where the damage breaks off (hello, white dots!), and the other where split ends just travel up. Most of my hair grew pretty long with all that damage, but it looked and felt TERRIBLE. I was in the same situation you are in--hair at breast length but damage up to my collar. I ended up cutting it off to above the damage and completely changed my entire hair routine. I am now past where I started, only with virtually no damage. It is worth the chop, whether or not you gain length with damage.

squiggyflop
August 7th, 2010, 11:49 AM
On that topic has anyone tried the Splitender ?
it rips apart hair and causes more splits