PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using NO conditioner at all?

Drynwhyl
August 5th, 2010, 10:55 AM
So I got in a mood to experiment with my hair a little! I'm cutting out as much of chemical products I can.
I washed my hair with some very cheap conventional shampoo, and decided to leave out the conditioner this time! The shampoo contains SLS, but no cones. (I'm planning to get some pure herbal, free of man-made chemicals "shampoo" to try this again)
I rinsed very thoroughly with cold water, and let it towel dry a bit. Then I put some jojoba oil on the ends and the bits that have a tendency to go dry/tangly.
And I'm very pleased with the result! My hair is light, doesn't feel "sticky", and it feels much cleaner than usual.
Is there any reason I shouldn't continue this routine? Obviously if I notice any bad sides of this I'll stop.

Theobroma
August 5th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I was no-condish (shampoo wash and jojoba oil leave-in) for years and it certainly didn't damage my hair, though I now do CO washes and coconut oil because it makes my hair softer and less frizzy. I'd say go ahead and try it for a while, and if it works for you, stick with it.

virgo75
August 5th, 2010, 11:52 AM
My hair is curly so normally this would be a really bad idea, but I did it for a while when I was using herbs to wash exclusively.

I would oil with coconut oil and wash with shikakai.
My hair loved it for the most part.
But after using henna my hair would be dried out and eventually it got kinda brittle - which it has never been before.

My mom has straight hair with a little wave(not sure how it would be classified) and she only used shampoo for years. She only recently tried some conditioner because I gave it to her. Her hair would grow out long and was often waist length or longer.

If your hair is happy without conditioner then I don't see why you would have to use it?

Hope that helps. :flower:

luthien_belewen
August 5th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I've been thinking about using only natural oils to condition my hair as well. Interested to see how it works for you!

Iron0Maiden
August 5th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I think continue to use the oils, and maybe that can replace the conditioner for you! For my hair, I would have to really make sure I oiled my hair if I didn't condition.... my hair can use all the conditioning it can get! :D

JaneinMarch
August 5th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Right now all I to use to help moisturize/condition are coconut and olive oil, shea butter and ghee.
Usually no more than two at a time, and that's plenty. I've gone months with just olive or coconut oil.

Othala
August 5th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Yes, I leave off the conditioner...and the shampoo...when I go through a no washing phase (not even water). You can see my hair type in the photo below and let me tell you that my hair is coarse textured, porous and dry. For the first 3 or so days after washing and without a conditioner, my hair is full of static. After a couple of weeks though, the sebum has made it supple. Every time I have reverted to washing it's because I missed oiling, not the conditioner.

Flaxen
August 5th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I'm currently not using any conditioner except for the occasional deep treatment under a heat cap (like 4 times a year). I've been through so many conditioners over the years, and they work for a time or two, but then they make my hair limp.

I pre-wash oil with an herb infused coconut oil and shampoo with diluted shampoo so that a tiny bit of oil remains to act as a conditioner. :smile:

Calaelen
August 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I rarely use conditioner. Like 2 or 3 times a year, if that. I use only natural cleansers, and use vinegar rinses as needed. Occasionally I will put cocnut oil in my end, but I've found I don't even really need that. I have soft silky hair, and as long as I only use natural cleansers with no detergents, my hair and scalp are happy.

I don't think I will ever go back to using conditioner full time, as vinegar leaves my hair soft, and oiling helps with any other dryness I may get.

irishlady
August 5th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I used to only use Shampoo but my hair dried out, so I have to use a conditioner now :)

kittensoupnrice
August 5th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Last time I grew out my hair, I used NO conditioner at all, but my parents had a water softener. I was having moderate success in my old apt with no condish, but since I moved and got a water softener again I'm right back to no condish and loving every moment of it.

I do use condish occasionally for DTs, though.

Kathie
August 5th, 2010, 06:06 PM
The last two washes I've used conditioner. Only because I'd like to use up what stash I have in my bathroom. Usually I just shampoo, and I also like the clean feeling you get from no conditioner- the no coated and not at all limp feeling. The first time I tried the conditioner recently it was great! The second time not so much. I guess conditioning will a periodic thing for me.

Squeak toy
August 5th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I also have decided to not use any man made synthetic products as I have learned so many horrible side effects. I have made my own shampoo with castile soap and apricot kernal oil and my hair had never felt better. I use coconut oil at times but if I put the shampoo on the length it makes it soft and hydrated.

Upside Down
August 6th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Hey :) I don't use conditioner, as I want to be all-natural. Wash with eggs, put oil in wet hair, scrunch and airdry, and my curls pop and it does not feel dry.

However, every once a month I need a deep treatment. I use some home made recipe eggs castor oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter shea butter, whatever I feel like at the time.

BUT if I have to use SLS shampoo (like, an emergency with no eggs in the house and no stores are open, happened two times in the last year or more), my hair is soooo dry, I put oil on all of it, roots to ends, and more than usual. If I don't it gets crazy puffy and unmanageable, but when I do, I have to wash again in three days...

So, maybe you could try a gentler cleanser? And on that topic: soapnuts are available in Serbia (thanks, Serious! :) ), sold as a natural laundry detergent ;)

mellie
August 6th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I don't use conditioner, just shampoo! No oils either. And I've been doing that for years and years.

Conditioner and oils don't like my hair.

mariika
August 6th, 2010, 06:26 AM
when I was younger I didn't ever use conditioner. can't say if it's helping now... I use it cause it is supposed to moisturize (not like any result is visible). for the last couple of months I use conditioner that helps prevent hair loss if the reason to loss is fragility and it really works for me! I am losing WAY less hair
but shampoo with SLS is REALLY BAD and now that I use noSLS I can totally see the difference, much more vocal than no conditioner vs conditioning

Pixna
August 6th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I rarely use conditioner. Like 2 or 3 times a year, if that. I use only natural cleansers, and use vinegar rinses as needed. Occasionally I will put cocnut oil in my end, but I've found I don't even really need that. I have soft silky hair, and as long as I only use natural cleansers with no detergents, my hair and scalp are happy.

I don't think I will ever go back to using conditioner full time, as vinegar leaves my hair soft, and oiling helps with any other dryness I may get.

What "natural cleanser" are you using???

I am currently using Dr. Bronner's soap ONLY on my scalp and finishing with an ACV rinse. After that, I am using a small amount of grapeseed oil with a drop or two of essential oil mixed in as a leave-in. That's it! The vinegar leaves my hair as soft and tangle-free as conditioner. I'm going as natural as I can, but I've been wondering whether I could get away with just using the ACV rinse on my scalp and hair and no soap/cleanser at all. Has anyone tried something like that???

Lamb
August 6th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I've left off the conditioner lately, too. I noticed that the benefits of condish were outweighed by the harm rinsing for ages did to my hair. I now use a 2-in-1 (L'Oreal for kids, an old favourite of mine), and a leave-in afterwards. Works fine.

HikerTrash
August 6th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I've gone through periods of not using conditioner. Right now I find that apple cider vinegar works much better than conditioner.

myotislucifugus
August 6th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I use 'poo bars, and have found I don't usually need a conditioner, although I'm thinking as my hair is getting longer, the older bits could really use some extra help.

Drynwhyl
August 6th, 2010, 10:06 AM
So, maybe you could try a gentler cleanser? And on that topic: soapnuts are available in Serbia (thanks, Serious! :) ), sold as a natural laundry detergent ;)
Oh really? Where exactly do you get them? I was thinking of ordering them online from the UK as I do with lots of stuff thats unavailable here.

I usually do a heavy oiling the night before I wash (mostly some Brahmi Amla oil for my scalp) so it does not get too dry.

Lamb
August 6th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Oh really? Where exactly do you get them? I was thinking of ordering them online from the UK as I do with lots of stuff thats unavailable here.

I usually do a heavy oiling the night before I wash (mostly some Brahmi Amla oil for my scalp) so it does not get too dry.

I don't know about Serbia, but in Hungary, I saw soapnuts in Drogerie Markt (DM) stores, in the laundry detergents/household products section. :)

serious
August 6th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately, soapnuts aren't available at DM here in Serbia, but you can buy them here (http://www.ekorpa.com/a/59023/everest-sapunski-plod-500g/).

Deborah
August 6th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I sometimes use conditioner to wash with, but I never use it as conditioner. My hair does very well with CO with a little citric acid and water added, or with Indian herbs for washing. Either way I finish with a vinegar or citric acid rinse, and my hair is happy.

Coffeebug
August 6th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I don't always use it cos ironically it always tangles more, even with cone-free conditioners! My hair is strange though.

melikai
August 6th, 2010, 11:06 AM
My boyfriend doesn't use conditioner - he can mostly get away with it because he uses a very gentle shampoo (Suncokret). Without conditioner, his hair can go longer between washes, and has much more softness and body. You'd think conditioner would give softness, but it really weighs down his hair.

I'm on the fence about no conditioner. Once the remainder of my very damaged ends are gone (which won't be for a while as I'm no longer trimming), maybe it will work better then.

LILBERT
August 6th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I did this as an experiment a few years back when my hair was longer. im afraid it didnt work well for me, my hair ended up very frizzy and static-ey.

Drynwhyl
August 6th, 2010, 11:17 AM
My boyfriend doesn't use conditioner - he can mostly get away with it because he uses a very gentle shampoo (Suncokret). Without conditioner, his hair can go longer between washes, and has much more softness and body. You'd think conditioner would give softness, but it really weighs down his hair.

I'm on the fence about no conditioner. Once the remainder of my very damaged ends are gone (which won't be for a while as I'm no longer trimming), maybe it will work better then.
I just bought that shampoo today, for dry hair :)

And thanks for the link, serious, will definitely buy them soon.

Flaxen
August 6th, 2010, 05:12 PM
...but I've been wondering whether I could get away with just using the ACV rinse on my scalp and hair and no soap/cleanser at all. Has anyone tried something like that???
Yes, I seem to remember someone using vinegar rinses to help them get through the transition period of Water Only. :ponder:

NorthernDancer
August 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I've been using soapnuts without conditioner afterword. Sometimes it comes out a little dry if I use to much, but some shea butter will whip it into shape.

I've actually discovered that I'm allergic to commercial products. I get a red, itchy, and flaky scalp when I use any shampoo or conditioner product. So now I've made a decision to stick exclusively to alternative products.

embee
August 6th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I have not used conditioner in a long time. Shampoo, very very diluted, seems to work ok. Conditioner leaves my hair too soft, slick, slippery, limp. Hair won't stay in any updo and is a big Pain. ;)

Pixna
August 7th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Yes, I seem to remember someone using vinegar rinses to help them get through the transition period of Water Only. :ponder:

Thanks, Flaxen! :heart:

EdG
August 7th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I don't use conditioner, only diluted shampoo. I don't like the feel of conditioner on my hair.
Ed

Annalouise
August 7th, 2010, 08:51 AM
EdG - how much do you dilute your shampoo?

EdG
August 7th, 2010, 09:08 AM
EdG - how much do you dilute your shampoo?I use enough shampoo to line the bottom of a 6-cup container and fill the rest with water. The ratio may be 1/20.

I then use the entire amount to shampoo once. I find that this leaves a small amount of sebum in the hair. I untangle when my hair is still slightly damp.
Ed

Annalouise
August 7th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks Ed:) I'm glad I asked because I was thinking 2:1, not 20:1!
That is really diluted. I also like to leave some sebum on my hair so I think this is a great idea.
Anna

EdG
August 7th, 2010, 10:06 AM
You're welcome, Anna! :)

I double-checked with a measuring cup - I use about a 1/4 cup of shampoo to 6 cups water.

The results are not quite as easy to untangle as with a conditioner. The day after the wash tends to be the hardest day to untangle - the hair has dried, but there isn't yet a lot of sebum. The second and subsequent days will be better.
Ed

melikai
August 7th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I just bought that shampoo today, for dry hair :)

And thanks for the link, serious, will definitely buy them soon.

I hope you like it! :) I find the essential oils in it a bit much sometimes, but it works very well. I wish they'd put out some different scents and more hair products (like conditioner :p).

Annalouise
August 7th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Hi Ed:)
I mixed up a batch with the dilution you use (1:24). I'm going to try it next wash day.

So one more thing, do you use the whole six cups of solution in one wash?

Anna

EdG
August 7th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Hi Ed:)
I mixed up a batch with the dilution you use (1:24). I'm going to try it next wash day.

So one more thing, do you use the whole six cups of solution in one wash?

AnnaYes, I do. I want to avoid storing something that's mostly water.

Let us know how things turn out! :)
Ed

shawty
August 7th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I am considering doing this when my current bottle of conventional conditioner runs out. I use a gentle herbal shampoo which I love, but the "natural" conditioners of the same brand leave much to be desired. That's why I'd prefer to use oil.

But then I wonder - what if I need to do a CWC at some point? I can't decide!

Qwackie
August 7th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I did for a month or two, but then my hair got really dry, so I use CO.

Pierre
August 7th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I use no poo, no condish, just water, jojoba, and the monthly or so henna.

Annalouise
August 7th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Oh ok. I don't think I'll need that much because my hair is not that long.
I guess I shouldn't have mixed the solution in advance. Maybe I should keep it in the fridge so it doesn't go weird.:)
Anna

Yes, I do. I want to avoid storing something that's mostly water.

Let us know how things turn out! :)
Ed

EdG
August 7th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Oh ok. I don't think I'll need that much because my hair is not that long.
I guess I shouldn't have mixed the solution in advance. Maybe I should keep it in the fridge so it doesn't go weird.:)
AnnaIt should be fine tomorrow. :)
Ed

embee
August 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
It was interesting to see what your dilution ratio is, EdG. Mine is not quite the same. I use a couple tablespoons full of shampoo (or squirts, depending on how the shampoo is packaged) in 2 cups of water and then use the water I rinse out that container with as well. It leaves just a bit of sebum, not much. Enough so my hair is not totally slick/slippery the next day.

That gives me plenty of "product" to put on the hair, and it easily runs all over instead of being a big solid glob on my hand or top of my head.

EdG
August 8th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Yes, I too find that mixing the shampoo with water works much better than putting a blob of shampoo directly on one's hair.

Even with the dilution, I probably use too much shampoo, or have too much hair. :silly:
Ed

Pixna
August 8th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Even with the dilution, I probably use too much shampoo, or have too much hair. :silly:
Ed

Too much hair?? Impossible!! :wigtongue

EdG
August 8th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Too much hair?? Impossible!! :wigtongueI love this place. :rollin:
Ed

Domino
August 8th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I have to say, I find the idea of no condish very appealing. I never seem to wash it off properly and get product-y feeling fingers whenever I touch/style my hair. Besides, my skin is too sensitive. I tried going condish-free for a month but hated the split ends. I'll try it again in a few days, this time oiling with the heavy moisturizing olive oil very lightly and using an olive oil wash for my scalp.

I think I should try EdG's dilution since the olive oil wash is meant to be a shower gel, but I never use those anyway...so I'll give it a go the next time. The only problem I can foresee is how to get the henna out without condish, the last time I tried it was a horrible tangly dry and just nasty mess.

Drynwhyl
August 8th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I hope you like it! :) I find the essential oils in it a bit much sometimes, but it works very well. I wish they'd put out some different scents and more hair products (like conditioner :p).

I quite like it! Coincidentally, I found out my father knows the owner of Suncokret, he gave us some oils recently, and I'm gonna be cheeky and ask for some cosmetics next time! :P

The only problem I can foresee is how to get the henna out without condish, the last time I tried it was a horrible tangly dry and just nasty mess.
Yes, it never works for me!

I use no poo, no condish, just water, jojoba, and the monthly or so henna.
I'd like to know how you wash out your henna with water only :(

Pierre
August 8th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I'd like to know how you wash out your henna with water only :(
I get in the shower and comb it out. Usually I comb out the loose hairs (again in the shower) before I put my hair up for hennaing, so there isn't much tangling when I rinse the henna out. I sometimes have to brush henna out of the Flexis.

The gloves I hold with the open end up until all fingers are full of water, then squeeze each finger a couple of times, then turn upside down.

Flaxen
August 8th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Bah, I'm running into a problem. My hair isn't dry or staticky, and it is plenty soft, but without conditioner, it is extremely flyaway! The strands are super fine, and it looks like they need something on them to add some weight. The thing is, just about every conditioner adds too much weight. Can you believe after 8 years, I still haven't found the perfect routine? :shake:

christine1989
August 8th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I think thats a great idea. The oil takes the place of the condiioner and adds moisture so I don't see a problem with it. :)

Pixna
August 9th, 2010, 04:36 AM
I think thats a great idea. The oil takes the place of the condiioner and adds moisture so I don't see a problem with it. :)

It's working out GREAT for me!!

Bah, I'm running into a problem. My hair isn't dry or staticky, and it is plenty soft, but without conditioner, it is extremely flyaway! The strands are super fine, and it looks like they need something on them to add some weight. The thing is, just about every conditioner adds too much weight. Can you believe after 8 years, I still haven't found the perfect routine? :shake:

Flaxen, have you tried a small amount of oil as a leave-in conditioner instead of regular conditioner? I've been using a small amount on my wet hair after washing and I'm amazed how it controls flyaways and static and also adds just a wee bit of weight.

Phexlyn
August 9th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I used to skip the conditioner and just work with oil, but I found that my hair didn't get enough moisture in the long run. Which meant more tangles, more breakage and more frizz without condish. (I still haven't found the ideal routine yet, so if I use too much conditioner, my hair gets sticky. Oh well.)

If it works for you, though, just keep it up! Just make sure you get enough moisture for your hair :)

curlycrown
August 9th, 2010, 09:27 AM
while ago I used to shampoo and then apply shea butter to the length. Then I went WO. Then I started using CO. Now im Back to WO but I use a lighter oil like Avocado and evoo.

Annalouise
August 9th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I can believe it! I haven't found a routine either. We have similar hair, fine and thin. I also find conditioner to be too heavy, and just shampoo can be good but I worry about dryness over the years as the ends of my hair tend to be really dry. I have the lovely - oily scalp, dry ends combination hair.

:)If you find an awesome routine please tell me what it is!

SarahBeth
August 9th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I have been using a baking soda wash and apple cider vinegar rinse for 2 weeks, because I decided to stop using artificial things on my hair.( I'm currently at about 4 inches below my shoulders and have a long term goal of waist length.) I must say my hair has never been better. No frizz,not oily, just nice soft hair. I can't see myself going back to shampoo and conditioner ever. I have slightly wavy hair and lots of it. I learned that with me, less is more as far as baking soda and vinegar are concerned. I use 1 tablespoon BS in 1 cup warm water. Pour it over my roots mostly and gently massage my scalp. Rinse. I keep a spray bottle with vinegar water in the shower.( 1 cup water to 1 tablespoon ACV). I spray the ends from my ear lobes down. Let it sit about 1 minute and then rinse.That's it. It gets rid of tangles for me and leave my hair feeling really clean.

Annalouise
August 9th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks for sharing Sarah Beth. That is one routine I haven't tried is the baking soda and vinegar. I'm glad it is working for you!

Ed - I used your shampoo dilution today and I was amazed by how much lather I got. I only used about one cup of the six cup solution I made, and it cleaned my hair really well. I like the way the water runs over my entire scalp so that no spots were missed. I'm going to keep doing this for awhile and see how it turns out.:)

Pixna
August 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I have been using a baking soda wash and apple cider vinegar rinse for 2 weeks, because I decided to stop using artificial things on my hair.( I'm currently at about 4 inches below my shoulders and have a long term goal of waist length.) I must say my hair has never been better. No frizz,not oily, just nice soft hair. I can't see myself going back to shampoo and conditioner ever. I have slightly wavy hair and lots of it. I learned that with me, less is more as far as baking soda and vinegar are concerned. I use 1 tablespoon BS in 1 cup warm water. Pour it over my roots mostly and gently massage my scalp. Rinse. I keep a spray bottle with vinegar water in the shower.( 1 cup water to 1 tablespoon ACV). I spray the ends from my ear lobes down. Let it sit about 1 minute and then rinse.That's it. It gets rid of tangles for me and leave my hair feeling really clean.

Sounds good, SarahBeth. I might give the baking soda "rinse" a try (instead of the Bronner's) before my ACV rinse. Thanks!

Domino
August 9th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I get in the shower and comb it out. Usually I comb out the loose hairs (again in the shower) before I put my hair up for hennaing, so there isn't much tangling when I rinse the henna out. I sometimes have to brush henna out of the Flexis.

The gloves I hold with the open end up until all fingers are full of water, then squeeze each finger a couple of times, then turn upside down.

Off topic but I have to ask, how runny is your mix? Mine is so thick and muddy (I do roots only) that it took me 30 minutes to fully rinse out using condish. I don't really want to know how long it would've taken if I didn't give in and grab that bottle of condish :p

Flaxen
August 9th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Flaxen, have you tried a small amount of oil as a leave-in conditioner instead of regular conditioner? I've been using a small amount on my wet hair after washing and I'm amazed how it controls flyaways and static and also adds just a wee bit of weight.
I have, but the results are inconsistent. Sometimes it works great (yay!), but sometimes my ends are a little stiff and piece-y when they dry (boo). It's probably just a matter of practice. :lol:

I'm so glad it's working for you, though! :cheese:

EdG
August 9th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Ed - I used your shampoo dilution today and I was amazed by how much lather I got. I only used about one cup of the six cup solution I made, and it cleaned my hair really well. I like the way the water runs over my entire scalp so that no spots were missed. I'm going to keep doing this for awhile and see how it turns out.:)That's cool. :cheese:

I get a surprising amount of lather too. I think I may be overdoing it by using all six cups at once. :o
Ed

goldenoak
August 9th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I stopped using commercial shampoo and conditioner about 7 months ago, and my hair is in a lot better shape now than it was then.

I wash with diluted dr. bronner's, rinse with diluted lemon juice, and then use a leave-in conditioner gel I make at home. It's nice because it both conditions and acts as a low-hold gel, preventing frizzies x2. I'm still playing around with the formula, but right now how I make it is:

- Put 1 cup of water in the blender, and turn blender on "low"
- Add 1/4 teaspoon grapefruit seed extract* and 3/4 teaspoon canola oil
- Add in 1 teaspoon guar gum powder**
- Pour into a squeezy-bottle

* The grapefruit seed extract is a natural preservative and can be bought online - I like mountain rose herbs (http://www.mountainroseherbs.com) a lot. They also sell guar gum, although I buy it at my local natural food store.

** guar gum is made from powdered guar beans. It's an emulsifier that allows the water and oil to mix. It's also a natural thickening agent, which gives the final mix it's conditioner-like viscosity.

embee
August 9th, 2010, 06:16 PM
When I did use conditioner, I would dilute it in the same manner as the shampoo, a squirt or two into the big cup and water to fill, then pour it over, or dip the tail of hair in first and then pour over. Fill the cup again with water and pour over (to rinse out the cup). Then the conditioner got lightly all over my hair, not one big glob in one place.

We'll see how I feel about conditioner come winter time, when the heat is on and the air is dry. ;) Right now the air's so humid it's rather like warm soup. I don't recall exactly what I did last year...

Pierre
August 9th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Off topic but I have to ask, how runny is your mix? Mine is so thick and muddy (I do roots only) that it took me 30 minutes to fully rinse out using condish. I don't really want to know how long it would've taken if I didn't give in and grab that bottle of condish :p
In pascal seconds, I have no idea! It's runny enough that I can suck it into a root shooter and then squirt it into my hair.

TXbarbie
August 9th, 2010, 09:31 PM
If I didn't use conditioner... my hair would be one huge rat nest!

Domino
August 10th, 2010, 03:15 PM
In pascal seconds, I have no idea! It's runny enough that I can suck it into a root shooter and then squirt it into my hair.

Thanks! I'll try making it runnier the next time.

I really like this thread and hope it doesn't get all lost in the forum. I'll be officially trying no condish with very diluted shampoo (body wash, in my case) starting from...probably thursday. Will update :)

Crackaleen
August 10th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I was actually shampoo only (well unless you count oils) and the shampoo I did use was only applied to the scalp. This worked very well for my hair for a long time, but then I started getting itchy scalp and dandruff issues; after trying various products and seeing a rather unhelpful dermatologist, I began to suspect my scalp was being irritated by shampoo-only so now I'm slowly transitioning to CO (I'm almost there).

constantki
August 23rd, 2010, 07:14 AM
I was starting to think that my hair was the only one that hated conditioner. I've tried different brands, but it always leaves my hair feeling gross and limp. Plus, I love the clean feeling I get from using shampoo.

Mirsha
August 23rd, 2010, 07:26 AM
I used to be shampoo only for a long time and never believed in conditioner, but since I started using it my hair has just become less.. fly-away-y? frizzy? Just how I wanted it! I'll use shampoo only when I can't be bothered or when I simply don't have time to condition and need a quick fix.

Different people different hair I guess. Would be so much easier if it did take to shampoo only, wouldn't have to spend so much money on conditioner. :P

lockswitoutkeys
August 23rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
The last I used conditioner was months ago!
Pre-poo oiling and any normal shampoo seems to do it for me. However, i guess if you don't use any oil, you really should use conditioner.

DuckyDot
August 23rd, 2010, 03:09 PM
I love Condish but I'm Just Wondering..

Does using no Condish in anyway Damage or Dry Out your hair?
Or does Oiling make up for it?

MissCoco
August 23rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
I love Condish but I'm Just Wondering..

Does using no Condish in anyway Damage or Dry Out your hair?
Or does Oiling make up for it?

I think oiling, especially heavy oilings with coconut oil or any other heavy oil, makes up for the use of no conditioner. I have thick M/C normal-dry hair and it's fine with oiling+no shampoo.

eternallyverdan
August 23rd, 2010, 03:26 PM
Whether or not I condition mostly depends on water softness. I had really soft water while living in Morocco, and I didn't use any moisturizer-- no oils or conditioners, just shampoo about 2x a week.

Where I am now, I have pretty hard water and my hair feels dry and tangly if I don't moisturize, so I use conventional conditioner when I wash.

Do whatever works for you, though-- everyone's hair is completely different.

MissCoco
August 23rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
By the way, I'm so glad this thread was made! I thought you had to use conditioner to have healthy hair, but now I see it's different for everyone and I'm not alone! :D
Conditioners leave my hair limp and flat, especially those without cones, but sulfate/coney shampoos (yes, organic shampoos don't work either, or I've been trying out all the wrong brands!) make my hair shiny, clean and voluminous! :cloud9:

saippuakuplia
August 23rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
I haven't used conditioner for a while because I've been trying shampoo bars. And my hair hasn't turned any worse because of that. I still think I won't stop using it at all even my hair can be without it. It just feels too nice : )

Bene
August 23rd, 2010, 06:26 PM
I've been trying to cut back on all the stuff in the bathroom, so conditioner went bye bye. I just do 'poo bars and ACV rinses.

christine1989
August 23rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
I tried using only an herbal, non SLS shampoo once- bad idea! I ended up with a frizzy fro.

e.Kat
August 23rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
I've been using a shampoo bar from Hennasooq without conditioner, and my hair has never had more shine. I still haven't decided what oil I like best. I'm still experimenting

DuckyDot
August 24th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I'm glad that you guys can manage without any Condish. I Doubt that I could and my hair hates oil... It would be nice to cut out some of the bottles in the bathroom.

But I bought a new Condish Today..Sorry :D

Flaxen
August 24th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I can believe it! I haven't found a routine either. We have similar hair, fine and thin. I also find conditioner to be too heavy, and just shampoo can be good but I worry about dryness over the years as the ends of my hair tend to be really dry. I have the lovely - oily scalp, dry ends combination hair.

:)If you find an awesome routine please tell me what it is!

Oops, I missed your post before! :o

It might be a while :rolleyes: but I sure will tell you if I find one. :lol: