PDA

View Full Version : I could cry

fairystar32
August 5th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Not sure if its hormonal as still BF but my hair went awful and was breaking of A LOT.
I could run my hand down it and several breaks were in my fingers so I took the plunge and went for a trim
this is the result, she took off all the damage and now I am no longer at waist and could quite frankly cry :(
LIke my husband says though better to be shorter and healthier and it will grow again...
Obviously my hair needs trims or anyone with advice to stop the breaks? I am not a product junkie, maybe i need oil?
It was very rough and brittle at the ends and now feels so much healthier and I bought a new natural protein treatment as she seems to think my hair is lacking protein.

excuse it being scruffy in the now pic i ahve been exercising tonight :)

The first picture is from mid june and the now tonight

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r61/fairystar267/IMG_0866LHC.jpg
NOWhttp://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r61/fairystar267/5thaugust2010.jpg

Harriet
August 5th, 2010, 05:22 AM
It still looks beautiful! I hate having trims, but whenever I do I just tell myself it's for the greater good! It'll soon be back at waist.

fairystar32
August 5th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Thank youxx
I have avoided looking at it snce the trim on saturday as was too scared too but made my husband take a pic tonight to see..
was shocked how much has gone...

Gypsygirl
August 5th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Sweetie, your hair is still very long, and it is beautiful! :) As for your routine, what have you been using? Maybe something doesn't work for you. Check the ingredient lists of the products you have been using...

Joliebaby
August 5th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I really like the new blunt hemline! Your hair is still long, and it'll be back to waist before you know it :)
Oiling is good to keep ends moisturized and it prevents breaking.

Gabriel
August 5th, 2010, 05:39 AM
It looks lovely and you'll be back at waist in no time! Lots of shine and your hair color is great! That said, I know it still sucks to have to cut it and loose a lot of growth.

Snapping so easily could be a few things added to whatever hormonal problems you've been having. Did you move or has your water gotten hard? Do you use a rinse (like apple cider vinegar, citric acid, tea, etc...) to help get rid of some of the minerals? Do you use cones? Have you tried clarifying?

Follow your protein treatment with lots and lots of moisture!

Has your climate gotten very dry lately? Or alternately, very very humid? These things can change how my every day products can work on my hair.

I use oils on my own hair, putting a drop or two in my hands and coating my palms and fingers before running my hands through my hair. They add a little slip and shine but usually I have been using them on my wet hair to help seal in some moisture.

The other thing I just wanted to add is that I have learned not to touch my own hair a lot. Especially in the summer because if my palms are even a little damp or lotiony, it'll snag on some strands. I always wash my hands before playing with my hair.

(Usually after washing my hands I will add a drop or two of oil like I mentioned above.)

Lunarennui
August 5th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Deep breaths...remember, it WILL grow again...

I'd consider protein shampoo/conditioner (J.A.S.O.N.?) and using some shea butter or coconut oil at the ends. You might need to take extra vitamins, too.

fairystar32
August 5th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I use cone and suplhate free but have been using the cheap supermarket organics range and just switched as I find it not conditioning my hair very wella nd it feeling like it hasnt been washed for ages the day after washing.
I dont use anything else, rarely blow dry have moved to Australia from the UK but that was 18 mths ago. I havent had a trim for months and months so maybe a combination?

I use my fingers on my hair all the time to comb it but my 9 yr old has been messing with my hair (he has always had a thing for my hair!)
he hasnt been able to get near since I had bubs but as bubs is getting more independant he is messing with it again.
Also I have been exercising a lot and my hair gets wet through, maybe needs washing more?

thanks so much just feeling sad at the moment..

fairystar32
August 5th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I have bought a new cone and suplhate free shampoo/conditoner from the hairdressers though so a good make now but havent used it yet..

fairystar32
August 5th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Oh and the protein stuff is the same brand she said to use twice a week :)

Gypsygirl
August 5th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hope it works for you! :grouphug:

LouLaLa
August 5th, 2010, 11:05 AM
*hug* it will be back in no time, at least you dont have to grow out layers. Sometimes you have to trim for the greater good.

I grew from just below shoulder 8 months ago and I am now BSL, but because of dye damage I had two trims this year and had about 4/5 (started saying an inch and my hairdresser said it was so overprocessed it had to go) inches off as it was just dust. So dont worry as youve saved yourself from a major major cull.

Think of it as loosing the battle to win the war.

You have really lovely hair, its hard now but itll all seem fine in a month.

heynormy
August 5th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I think your hair is still beautiful! Before you know it, you will be back at waist with healthier hair! :)

wvgemini
August 5th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Wow! Your hair is beautiful! Hey, look at it this way ... now you can see more of that pretty tattoo :)

And I am sure it will grow back before you know it.

Kathie
August 5th, 2010, 02:12 PM
It still does look really pretty. And now it can probably grow longer than before because the damage is gone :)

eamane
August 5th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I know the feeling but as others have said: Your hair is still long and beautiful and it will grow out again :grouphug:

ghost
August 5th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I'm so sorry *hugs* Having to trim off a lot of hair really is painful emotionally, even if it doesn't physically hurt.
Your hair is really, REALLY beautiful though. The color is amazing, and it looks shiny, healthy, thick and -yes! Long!
I know it sucks to have a setback in your growth, but your hair is very beautiful and it should be easier to grow out with the damage gone.

I really love your tattoos, also :)

UltraBella
August 5th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I think it looks great and it won't be long until you are back to waist. Enjoy your new healthy ends !!!

Jenn of Pence
August 5th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Loosing length does stink; even if it's not much, you can tell! But yes, it should grow back quickly, and it's beautiful in the meantime.
Your hair might be different than mine, but I've decided protein makes my ends crunchy. Maybe yours will love it! But I agree with a previous posted that lots of moisture after a protein treatment is probably a good idea (and when is more moisture ever a bad idea? ;)).

Luckysock
August 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM
You and I are in the same place hovering around waist - I know its so annoying! I was so so close to waist but then had a trim before my wedding and he took off about 2 inches(!) so I'm back to BSL+. Don't worry though your hair is still long and it looks great! It will be at waist before you know it.

For those crunchy brittle ends try clarifying too - that made a difference for me. I use Neutrogena's anti residue shampoo, then I usually oil or do a SMT - it works for me.

fairystar32
August 5th, 2010, 04:06 PM
thank you everyone of you and hugs to you all, your all wonderful xxx
x
x

x
xI am going to try clarifying, have never used it since the first time when I bought clarifying shampoo and it burnt my scalp and scared me so will buy some and just use it on the ends.
I know when I use henna my hair is beautifully soft and stays like that for ages, so maybe it does like protein?
Put some coconut oil on the ends last night a lot and you cannot tell this morning its drunk it up so I guess its really needed.
Will try the clarifying then use the protein treatment and lots of moisture, I have Shea butter in the fridge, Olive oil in the cupboard and coconut oil in the bathroom, so hopefully it will all help :)
thank you again, I really appreciate each and every comment
x
xx

I guess I need to realise long hair well past BSL need a lot of love and treatment :)

Artsy
August 5th, 2010, 05:23 PM
It is sometimes hard to find out what your hair needs more, oiling or protein. When there is too much of one, there could be some severe breakage. It often takes some experimentation and time to figure it out. Take your time and in few month you will find your hair healthy again.
________
MICHIGAN DISPENSARIES (http://michigan.dispensaries.org/)

Speckla
August 5th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Your ends look so healthy! Beautiful. And your hair is still long.

plainjanegirl
August 5th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Your hair is very pretty !

rapunzelna
August 5th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I had to make the same choice some time ago...and lost almost five inches at the longest (my hair had grown in a V). Although sad to lose the length, I admit it looks much better.

adiapalic
August 5th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Your hair still looks long and beautiful. One time I was experiencing a ton of breakage, tangling, with dry velcro ends. I had my hair trimmed, and to my dismay... 5 inches was cut off. I didn't want that much cut off. I was really upset with how short it felt, but I did like how much healthier the ends were. They were a lot easier to brush too.

I've since learned a lot of tips to help take care of my length so it doesn't get in that kind of condition. Oiling and gentle brushing help, along with keeping the hair in protective styles.

Chiara
August 5th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Your hair still looks gorgeous!

For what it's worth, I found BF was pretty hard on my hair, I had to make an effort to eat more protein-y foods, and even so, I can see I have heaps of regrowth that's about a year old (when DS stopped BF).

Also, you say you've moved to Australia- if you're in the south-east or west, the dry, cold weather that we get in winter can be really punishing on your hair and skin. I find I have to do lots of things to conserve the moisture in my hair and skin, or it dries out really fast. Between that and the high UV in summer, it's tricky to maintain lush ends!

Autumns Veil
August 5th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Your hair looks gorgeous... if you feel it might be hormonal you could have your thyroid checked. It has caused serious issues with my hair in the past. Just for peace of mind. Stress is not good for your hair either.

loralie
August 5th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Gosh I just looked at the pictures and didn't even realize you trimmed it!

It's hard to lose length- I'm battling and debating a trim myself but honestly, your hair is beautiful! Try some oil, or some deep conditioners, or an SMT. It'll feel loads better!

PrincessBob
August 5th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Think of it this way, for now your hair lets your pretty faeries flit about your waist playfully, temporarily unhampered by your pretty locks!

Don't fret about the trim, it looks nice. Every couple weeks take some time to do S&D, if you feel like your hair needs it, to minimizes up-the-shaft breakage.

Princess Bob