PDA

View Full Version : Average Hair Length

jamisonlcloud
March 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
This question has been asked before, but what is the average hair length for most people? Can anyone grow long hair?

eadwine
March 11th, 2008, 12:52 PM
It's all genetics, but I do believe most people can make it to waist length hair :)

SHADOWSCODE46
March 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM
This question has been asked before, but what is the average hair length for most people? Can anyone grow long hair?

Do you mean what is the average general length of hair, or the average length that hair can be grown to? If it's the first one then I think Armpit length is the average length, but if your referring to average maximum length then I agree with eadwine.

jamisonlcloud
March 11th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I was referring to average maximum length... I never thought about average length as far as what an individual would want to grow their hair. Thanks for the specification. :) I would like to have waist length, so that's about perfect for me.

jojo
March 11th, 2008, 01:28 PM
id say most hair what is considered long where i live and is most common is probably APL but the average hair length which all can grow to (this is what i thought you meant) is waist in m opinion

alys
March 11th, 2008, 01:29 PM
i dont think its the 'length' thats average, i think its the anogen or 'growing' phase of hair. everyone has thier own anogen phase, but I think i've read that most everyone should be able to grow at least BSL hair...heck i hope so as thats my mini goal!!

Áine
March 11th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I would be inclined to say at least Mid back Level for the very slowest of growers, and especially for those with very kinky or curly hair, a lot of length can be hidden (so it really might be more of waist length when stretched).

Buddaphlyy
March 11th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I think I read somewhere that BSL is probably the average for most people. But that was taking into account that people will actually "do" something to their hair (chemicals, coloring, and heat).

Kirin
March 11th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I could be wrong, but i think too depending on a lot of things, ethnic background also plays a big part. I couldn't tell you what ethnicities can grow to what, but i do remember reading an article on it somewhere.

vindo
March 11th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Thats hard to say since hair grows on average between 3-7 (!) yrs. before it falls out (Anagen Phase). Also people have a different growing speed and if your hair grows slow and it only "lives" 3 yrs. you wont get too far. Of course the opposite would get you really far and then theres also everything in between.

I read one scientific study that stated an average head of hair will reach midback. I dont know if they considered the health of the hair since breakage f.ex. can also keep you from reaching length.

Another factor is Taper. It can be really pretty but if your hair already has 80% taper and your only at shoulderlength it will be difficult to reach a length far from that. Theres different reasons for Taper though and it can be reduced in some cases (shedding, breakage, uneven growth..)
Some people tend towards more taper naturally and it can be very pretty on fairytale like hair :)

So you see many, many things that influence hair growth..I guess you will have to try :D

vdhendrix
October 28th, 2009, 10:19 PM
not sure how true it is, but i have read that most people will be able to grow to classic length, but will have to have specific genes to grow longer?, but it all depends on your growth rate, and your hairs life span

xsampa
September 13th, 2014, 08:31 PM
According to Wikipedia, it's:

The maximum hair length that is possible to reach is about 15 cm (6 in) for infants (below the age of 1), about 60 cm (24 in) for children, and generally 100 cm (40 in) for adults. Documentation for decrease of the maximum length with age cannot be found in the literature. Some individuals can reach excessive lengths. Lengths greater than 150 cm (59 in) are frequently observed in long hair contests.[15]

dogzdinner
September 14th, 2014, 02:05 AM
not sure how true it is, but i have read that most people will be able to grow to classic length, but will have to have specific genes to grow longer?
Hopefully its not all genetic. My mum can barely grow her hair past shoulder length and my dad is bald!!
:D