PDA

View Full Version : o sock bun why have you abandoned me?

akrasia
August 4th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Hiya,

After a few really good sock buns, I've found that I can't get coverage over the whole sock anymore. When I try to spread my hair all around the sock, I get huge gaps. This has been consistent, and I try over and over until finally giving up. I used a smaller sock too--no dice. Not sure what happened! Is there a certain trick to getting that sock all covered up? Maybe my sock is too old and lumpy?

Thanks!

little_cherry
August 4th, 2010, 03:48 PM
What I do is split the 'pony' in half after putting the donut on and do each half seperately..it helps to cover the donut.

ghost
August 4th, 2010, 03:52 PM
If you can't get it all the way covered, maybe try a sock close to your hair color (if you have one) or cover it in a hairnet in your color?
Or try a vivid color so that it looks intentional when it shows through the part in your hair? I think I saw that in a book somewhere...maybe it was Memoirs of a Geisha? I remember one of the girls wore her hair in a bun that was sort of split so you could see the cloth her hair was wrapped around.

Anje
August 4th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I can never get complete coverage of the sock, so I hear you. Best I've been able to do is get a dress sock in a nice brownish color (from the dollar store!) rather than a big white athletic sock. It takes a lot less thick a hair layer to visually cover a sock that's a similar color to your hair.

akrasia
August 4th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks you guys. I actually just went out and bought a brown hair donut thingy. Figured it would be worth a few quid. I'll try your tips!