PDA

View Full Version : What skills have you learned since joining LHC?

Gnomentum
August 4th, 2010, 12:28 PM
.. I've learned to french, dutch and herringbone braid. I've learned nine new buns. and how to make a french twist. but perhaps most impressive of all, I've learned to take photographs of the back of my own head!

serious
August 4th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I've learned how to use hairforks and hairsticks, and I even learned how to make them! :D

Sarahmoon
August 4th, 2010, 12:57 PM
For a second I thought you actually learned the languages and was even more impressed :laugh:

I've learned the rope braid, rope braid bun, how to use a hairstick and how to take better care of my hair in general.

Laurenji
August 4th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I've learned how to French, Dutch, Lace, and French Rope braid my hair. I've learned how to use hair sticks, hair forks, and hair pins.

I think French braiding and hairsticks were my biggest breakthrough.

paperwhite
August 4th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't call it a skill, really, but I learned through trial and error that my hair responds better to combing with a wide tooth or detangling comb as opposed to being brushed. Also, I've learned that my hair tends to prefer moisture treatments more frequently than protein treatments, but that those are also helpful :)

alabaster
August 4th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I've learned how to:
- brush my hair properly
- oil my hair
- read an ingredient label on hair products and know if it will work or not...

TiaKitty
August 4th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I have learned and now frequently use crown braids, lace braids, and have become a fan of coconut oil.

sibiryachka
August 4th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Rope braid, yay! Also French twist (well, getting there anyway), figure 8 bun, S&D, making hair sticks and lots of my own hair & body care products...Oh, and hair-typing strangers at a glance.

eezepeeze
August 4th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I've learned:

french braid, dutch braid, fishtail braid, rope braid, cable braid, french lace braid, dutch lace braid, accent braids, two strand lace braid, chinese bun, cinnabun, using hair sticks, using spinpins, how to oil my hair, about various "bad" and "good" products, ummm...anything else? let me think....infinity bun, french twist, chignon, the dianyla english braid...

I still have yet to master any braid with more than 3 strands, the crown braid, and the french rope braid.

jera
August 4th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I've learned how to wear food in my hair, mayo, olive oil, egg yolks, and still maintain my dignity. :D

ghost
August 4th, 2010, 03:48 PM
French rope braids, 4 and 5 strand braids, rose buns, Chinese buns, SMTs (and I am forever grateful) and cassia treatments, though I haven't actually tried cassia yet.

Marjolein
August 4th, 2010, 04:13 PM
My skills in procrastination have reached a whole new level since joining the LHC :o

EdG
August 4th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I learned how to scalp-wash. :)
Ed

proo
August 4th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I've learned to shampoo (i use the term lightly) once a week -
to fingercomb only-
how sebum encourages an updo-
distilled water final rinse-
the fullyrolled sock bun!

yellowchariot
August 4th, 2010, 10:17 PM
.. I've learned to french, dutch and herringbone braid. I've learned nine new buns. and how to make a french twist. but perhaps most impressive of all, I've learned to take photographs of the back of my own head!

^ This! You practically said everything I was going to say, Gnomentum! The members here have been so helpful!

sarah061
August 4th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I've learned how to do so many more hairstyles since joining LHC! I now know how to braid! And how to do sockbuns, cinnabuns, how to curl my hair without heat, I know about oiling now and S&D. Lots of great new things :)

squiggyflop
August 4th, 2010, 11:45 PM
how to detangle hair without ripping through it.. how to english, french, dutch and rope braid my hair..

lhc didnt teach me it but it caused me to try and learn on my own this skill (i was jealous of everyone else having pretty hairtoys).. so i learned to make my own hairforks, wooden combs, hairsticks.. i even made a website dedicated to teaching others to make them.. just click my name and then click 'visit squiggyflop's homepage' and you can see it.. i couldnt find any other instructions when i was starting out so i figured i would make my own is all.. totally self taught.. though i have mostly stopped making them.. and the instructions are not the best

alwayssmiling
August 5th, 2010, 02:31 AM
*how to moisturise my hair properly
*how to henna
*how trim
*read labels (still learning)

FrannyG
August 5th, 2010, 03:14 AM
I've learned

...to CO.

...to really give my hair moisture.

...to live without heat styling products.

...how to use hair sticks.

...to accept my hair type and love it.

...to make a French braid that I can actually wear outside.

...to make Dutch, 4-strand, 5-strand, and crown braids that I can actually wear when I go out.

...to make numerous updos.

...to trim my own hair.

...that one can make the best friends here. :inlove:

Othala
August 5th, 2010, 03:16 AM
I've learned how to respond to long-hair haters.

Theobroma
August 5th, 2010, 04:16 AM
I've learned:

*CO washes
*A whole raft of different ways to bun my hair.
*That there's no such thing as "too many hairtoys".
*That there is NO way my hair will EVER look presentable if I leave it down to airdry (think: untameable frizz even with CO washing, coupled with random, irregular, asymmetrical and downright ugly squiggles that don't really qualify as waves) and I'm just going to put up with braid or bun waves if I don't want to outright hate my hair.

Angeletti
August 5th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Learning all the different buns and using them with hairsticks has been a big one for me. Before LHC I didn't know what to do with my hair at night and while lounging around the house, it usually ended up in an uncomfortable and damaging ponytail of some sort.

pepperminttea
August 5th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Oh everything. French braiding, combing, fingercombing, oiling, being able to read the ingredients list on shampoos and know what most of it means, how to use hairpins, hair sticks, and forks, a number of buns. All sorts! :)

Tabihito
August 5th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I've learned how to take better care of my hair, and work with my waves instead of against them. Plus how to intentionally put oil in my hair without making it a huge greaseball.

Also, I've learned how to decide what updos my inept braid-challenged fingers are going to be able to do once my hair gets longer.

sally_neuf
August 5th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I've learned a lot about hair...
How to French/Dutch braid (that's how I got here) rope and herringbone braid, some buns suitable for my length and I'm waiting to try the longer ones. I have learned to take photos of the back of my head as well, as someone already said :D

.. but hey, that's not all. I've brushed up my English, I started Tahitian dance on my own and more recently, classical ballet thanks to LHC I've learned how to sew a skirt from a jean, how to take care of my own fertility, and I've taken a lot of great ideas for recipes!

So... I don't think I've been wasting my time at all!!!

cmnt831
August 5th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I learned to do all the buns and braids in my album, learned how to bring out my hair's natural curl and combat frizz. And I do believe that learning the skill of photographing the back of one's own head is to be prized above all the other skills. Because what good is learning to do all the buns and braids and updos if you can't take pictures of them to share with everyone on LHC? :D

Wanderer09
August 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM
The one I'm most proud of is learning how to use hairsticks. ;) Other skills:

- Braids! French, Dutch, 4-strand, herringbone...I may not be able to do them all on my own hair, but I know the technique.
- Buns! I can do a neat and tidy cinnabun, a figure 8, and an infinity bun so far.
- How to properly wash my hair (shampoo the scalp only, condition just the length)
- Oiling
- Detangling

RedStripe
August 5th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I've learned how to French and Dutch braid (kinda knew how to do a French braid before, but it was very sloppy), use hair forks, use hair sticks for something besides just twisting my hair up into a knot. Learned to scalp-wash and to condition length only. Refined my henna skills. And learned about lots of makers of amazing hairtoys!

Cinnamoon
August 5th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I've learned how to french and dutch braid my own hair, how to make fishtail, rope, and five strand braids, how to make a gibson tuck and how to make a sock bun, and how to wash my hair properly. :D

hybrise
August 5th, 2010, 10:33 AM
How to read and (mostly) understand the back of a shampoo bottle, how to use shampoo bars (never going back, by the way, they are so amazing), how not brushing my hair when wet would result in less breakage, and thus, frizz, how to henna, and I've allllmost learned to braid my own hair. It's frustrating when you've only got a very little length to work with. ;)

Alvrodul
August 5th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I did not know about seamless combs. One of the first things I did after learning that my combs might actually damage my hair - and why - was to go out and get a couple of good combs. Which was not as easy as it might seem. But I did at least find one place here in Oslo that had seamless combs.:)
Also I did a bit of shopping online. ;)

I am also trying out CO washing, as well as all cone-free products - and I bought a clariifying shampoo to get rid of buildup - but my hair felt horrible after the clarifying. :blueeek: It is better now, though...

kitschy
August 5th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I've only been on this site a few days. I've lots to learn.

(and this should be my magical 25th post which will open many doors for me here) :D

Jessica Trapp
August 5th, 2010, 11:25 AM
benign neglect.

wvgemini
August 5th, 2010, 11:30 AM
How to pick better shampoos and conditioners.
It is okay to still wash my hair every day (had some who would want to make me feel bad for that one).
How to use oils to better my hair.

camara
August 5th, 2010, 11:35 AM
how to use hairpins
how to use hairsticks
how to give raw food to cats
how to do various buns
how to show better writing skills in English
how to enlarge my English vocabulary
how to sew
how to work at a gas station
how to be a better mom
how to be a slightly better person (as in personal development)
how to use the self timer on our digital camera
how to speedily find out when my mind is in the gutter, again
how to spot the legendary threads (aka off topic random funny threads)
how to type faster

Xi
August 5th, 2010, 12:38 PM
My skills in procrastination have reached a whole new level since joining the LHC :o

:laugh: Mine too!

Also, the LHC has taught me how to put my hair up properly, how to appreciate fairytale ends, how to be relaxed and confident when dealing with the doubts or suggestions of short-haired friends, how to perceive the particular beauties of every head of hair, how to smile at long-haired strangers... and other similarly useful skills beyond numbering. ;)

HuggyBear
August 5th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I have learned quite a few things here:
CWC
oiling
Honey lightening
and my favorite, SOCK BUNS!

Stephichan
August 5th, 2010, 12:59 PM
How to dutch braid, an easier way to rope braid, how to make a cinnabun and how to use hairsticks.

Henrietta
August 5th, 2010, 02:18 PM
~how to use oils
~how to use hairpins
~how to make hairsticks...
~... and how to use them
~how to make a dutch braid...
~...and a lot of buns
~how to pick a good condish and shampoo...
~... and how to use them- CWC

JenniferNoel
August 5th, 2010, 02:24 PM
How to henna/indigo, braid, bun, use a wide-toothed seamless comb instead of a brush, how to get along just fine without heat, much more.

Katrina
August 5th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I've learned all the buns I can do today. I couldn't do any before LHC. (In fact, all I could do before finding LHC were a ponytail, a tails up with a big claw clip, an English braid, a French braid and a Dutch braid. I'd never heard of hairsticks and hairforks.) Other completely new hairstyles for me were rope braid, four and five strand braids and lace braid.

I've learned how to use hairsticks and hairpins, how to use henna and indigo (though I don't dye my hair anymore), choose hair friendly combs and hair toys, CWC and CO, oil my hair and generally, what my hair likes and dislikes.

Deelight
August 5th, 2010, 06:39 PM
SMTs and hair wraps - I am good at these now!!!

Chiara
August 5th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Along with all the great hair care stuff, I have learnt how to use a hair pin. I love it, holds my hair up and doesn't hurt!

AND (and maybe this is not really a skill, just a change in attitude?), I now think that long silver or white hair, that is well kept, looks gorgeous.

PrincessBob
August 5th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Learned to Nautilus bun, rope braid, hawser braid, rose bun, use hair sticks, use solid shampoo, oil my hair, S&D, make use of ACV rinses, french roll my spouse's hair (thanks YellowChariot!), how to do a new variation on my standby four strand pride braids, how to topsy tail my spouse's hair, that topsy tailing my thick hair is highly improbable, as are TB length versions of a gibson tuck, spidermom's bun, the pencil bun, lazy wrap and celtic knot bun, and that I am not alone in the thick-haired issues with these styles.

All in one month!

Henrietta
August 8th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I should add one thing to my list- making conditioners at home. Mixing oils etc.

eezepeeze
August 10th, 2010, 08:30 PM

:D:D:D This^ "I can't do the dishes now, I'm LHCing!"

RedheadMistress
August 16th, 2010, 08:44 AM
- I'm very new here but from reading and trying, I have already learned how to do the sock bun, how much some of my usual habits damage my hair (brushing with bad brushes, need to get a wooden comb!) and I have also learned that it is okay to keep your damaged hair and grow it out at the same time, just making sure I only henna the newborn hair and don't bleach and dye it like I usually do when my fingers itch . . ^____^

Also I've realised how fun hair toys can be and up-do's because I would usually prefer to just have my hair out, "natural" and not put toys in it .

I've given away my hair straightener and blowdryer as well, committed to being good to my hair .
Luckily the sock bun relaxed my natural curls a bit and makes it look great, just how I want it !

Oh and I've also learned oiling and moisturizing my hair with avocado and mayo but I'm still on the look out for more ways to moisturize ^^

What else . . learned to go CO washes, now considering starting WO ! :D

One more thing I've learned is that it's crippling not being able to do many things here because you're new, but hopefully soon I will be a good normal user heh .

Drarra
August 16th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I've learned how to make a number of buns - I thought my hair was too slippery to stay in any sort of bun. Now there is so much more to putting up my hair than a log roll and a claw clip. I've also learned: -rope braid -use of hairsticks -how to make (or get my dad to make :) hairpins -"classic" braids -crown braid -which parts of my refrigerator and cabinets are safe to empty on my head -CWC -leaving it up and forgetting about it

MandyBeth
August 16th, 2010, 03:37 PM
How to teflon my hair so now it's soft and silky. I love Ficcares for the hold but I'm too good at chipping the enamel and nailpolish makes them pretty again.

lajsa
August 16th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I'm pretty much a new face around here, but I've already learned how to use a hair stick (or a knitting needle, as the case might be :p) and how to do a basic bun. I've NEVER done a bun in my entire life, and all of a sudden I realize there's like a hundred different ways I can do it with just my current length and a knitting needle or pencil. Wohoo, way to be pleasantly surprised! :D I look forward to learning more...

JesusFreak88
August 17th, 2010, 08:41 AM
In the little less than a month that I have been here I have learned how to wash my hair better. How to oil my hair. Although I haven't yet. How to comb my hair. And that there is a hairtoy virus going around within the LHC. I also learned how to make hair sticks although I haven't yet.

Mexibeach
August 17th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I've learned that if I had not cut my hair, I would never have found this place. Now I can grow out my hair and add to the growing list of buns, twists and braids I want to try when my hair is long enough for them!!!!!

August 19th, 2010, 03:13 PM
How to dutch braid, an easier way to rope braid, how to make a cinnabun and how to use hairsticks.

Hmm.. Wondering how to make a rope braid in a easier way? Twisting my arms off trying to pull it off the usual way.. :o

LoversLullaby
August 19th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I've learned:
~How to comb my hair without breaking it
~Many new hair washing method (most important CWC)
~18 new updos and braids (WOW: O.O)
~How to love my curls
~Scalp massages
And many many more things!

irishlady
August 19th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I now use coconut oil, both as a prewash treatment and a bit at night before washes, works beautifully.

I also cover my pillow in a silk cloth for summer, and satin pillowcases for winter, to protect my hair since I move around a lot when I sleep :)

Also having fun finding out what does and doesn't work for my hair.

Oh! And no heat! Works wonders, my hair is so much softer :)

Fingolphin
August 19th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I learned to oil my hair, not blow dry it, not to chemically dye it, what products to use/not use, how to be gentler with it, just general better hair care.

beez1717
August 19th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I've. Learned. How to do a ponytail, and how to wash my hair right. I also am learning the best shampoos. For my hair. Lastly, I've lerned how to live with longer hair.