PDA

View Full Version : Three options! Your opinion??

DaniiL
August 4th, 2010, 02:34 AM
So now it's been 7 months since my last haircut! I don't think I ever waited that long before I got a cut!
I do get some split ends and breakage, I guess mostly since I still wear my hair down or in pony, but I do S&D regularly.

So what to do next?
I have three options:

1. Continue to do S&D but wait a couple of more months before I get a trim. Maybe wait until I get to my first goal of BSL. 4 cm left, about 3-4 months of growth.

2. Let my mum trim my hemline about 1 cm (0,5") or so, she will do a good job. And maybe, maybe let her try to trim my layers, which I guess is not that easy since she's not a hairdresser.

3. Go to a hairdresser and let her/him trim about 1 cm of the lenght and trim the layers less, and hope she/he doesn't take off more than I want.

This is not a big problem, :D, and I know it's totally up to me what to do.
But a little input from you all would be nice! :)
What would you have done?

This is how my hair and hemline looks like today:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5272&pictureid=78572

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5272&pictureid=78572

kimki
August 4th, 2010, 02:46 AM
From the picture your hair looks thick, shiny and healthy. If it was me I think I'd leave it. But if the breakage bothers you then maybe 0.5" off the bottom. Not sure about trimming layers unless your mum is confident she can do it. :)

Vampire
August 4th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I'd say let your mum just trim the hemline :)

freckles
August 4th, 2010, 04:36 AM
I agree with those two votes, get your mum to take a teeny tiny amount (and probably not attempt the layers) :)

mali
August 4th, 2010, 04:47 AM
You have beautiful hair ! :flower: I agree with the other 3 votes!

serious
August 4th, 2010, 04:52 AM
I'd leave it as it is :)

Henrietta
August 4th, 2010, 04:56 AM
I vote for the first option. It looks like your ends don't need a trim. S&D will do:)

julliams
August 4th, 2010, 05:16 AM
I was in your exact situation. I ended up biting the bullet and going to the hairdresser and STRESSING that I only wanted no more than ONE INCH off my hair. She cut in very small increments and then straightened my hair. It was only a while later that I realised that she'd actually cut off 2 inches.

I do like my hair better now that I've had my hair cut into a nice U shape and it does look better than it did BUT I did lose 2 inches.

I guess you have to make the decision of whether you just want length, or if you want health and length.

My vote would be your mum to do a small trim.

kristymarie87
August 4th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I would say trim it a little now, you will have to wait a little bit longer to BSL but when you reach it it will be healthier and the hemline will probably be thicker :D

luxepiggy
August 4th, 2010, 05:27 AM
either S&D or let your mom trim a teeny, tiny bit, but not the layers! I would lean towards S&D though, it doesn't look like a trim is necessary right now (^(oo)^)

pepperminttea
August 4th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Are you growing out your layers or aiming to keep them? Either way, if it was me I'd probably leave it. Your hair looks quite happy as it is. :)

cindy58
August 4th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I think your hair looks pretty good! I agree, if you want to trim, have mom do just a tiny bit across the bottom.

I went for a LONG time without trimming my layers growing out from a pixie -- they basically caught up from the bottom up. (So the shortest layers rec'd no trim for quite a while.) The longest I went without a trim of any sort is probably 13 months. I was not dealing with heat or chemical damage though.

Cheeks1206
August 4th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I say S&D, but then again I'm pro no trimming. You can always have your mom trim a little off I you feel you're getting too many splits

Stephichan
August 4th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Your hair looks wonderful! I say just leave it for now and continue S&D.

triumphator!
August 4th, 2010, 08:58 AM
It looks beautiful now! Stick with the S&D to maintain the overall quality, I don't think you really need any real cuts!

UltraBella
August 4th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I think it looks great, keep growing !

BrightEyes
August 4th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Wow, your hair is beautiful! I would say have your mom trim a little for you. It sounds like you trust her not to take more off than you'd like. Although I'm a hairstylist, I agree that some out there can get a bit scissor-happy.

A little trim will help to keep your ends even and healthy as you grow. It may take a bit longer to reach BSL, but your ends will be nice and even in the end.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Phexlyn
August 4th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Do you want to keep the hemline? Then just continue S&D. If you want it more blunt in the future, then go for the really tiny trim and continue S&D to make sure your layers stay healthy :)

Prettyeyes23
August 4th, 2010, 09:28 AM
My vote is to have your Mum trim, but not the layers. Pretty hair!

Synthemesc
August 4th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I'd say just keep up the S&D, your ends look great.

Sarahmoon
August 4th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I would go with option 1. Your hair looks perfect right now.

tinti
August 4th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I allways try to wait as long as possible, since my hair gets very little damage. Ok, it tears a bit if I pull to ard with the hair tie or the hair stick, but not too much splits. So I would see how long my hair (and I) can survive and then get a cut when I get too impatient with the splits.

kabelaced
August 4th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Trim it a little bit! (Ask your mom to do it!)

Love your hair! It's so beautiful, curly and thick! :D

Eden_Rayn
August 4th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Your hair looks great. I would get your mom to trim off .5" (at the most) off without trimming the layers.

LorelaiAmethyst
August 4th, 2010, 04:55 PM
If it's really bothering you, have your mum trim it, without the layers. =)

sarah061
August 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Your hair looks wonderful, I'd just wait till getting to BSL and then do a trim if it were me. My second choice would be having your mom do a trim, but that's mainly because I've grown extremely distrustful of stylists.

Capybara
August 4th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Here is an article on how to trim layers:http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=146

I think a 1 cm trim would be good, although your hair looks great as it is :)