PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who makes a mess during SMT?

Pear Martini
August 3rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
I drip the mixture all over my bathroom and feel so sticky on my hands and chest. Then my head feel uncomfortable for a few hours since for some reason smts are uncomfortable for me (I think its the honey and the shower cap). My hair really needs moisture and I love SMTs but I do not feel like making a mess of things right now.

Anniekins
August 3rd, 2010, 07:39 PM
I made a huge mess the first time but now I use an old ketchup bottle for my SMT and apply it like hair color ,slap on a shower cap and cover with a turban and its not so messy. It is uncomfortable for my scalp while I wait but I love the way it makes my hair feel so much it is worth it. I hope you find a way to make it more pleasant .
Anne

cindy58
August 3rd, 2010, 07:42 PM
I mix it up in something like a cool whip bowl, even using a rubber spatula to get most of it on my hair. You may be able to catch some drips with the bowl as you apply it. I have also tried pony tailing my hair and working the stuff through the tail, kind of rolling it up and tucking under a shower cap.

Or, apply it in the shower to just washed hair, gather it up under the shower cap, and jump back in the shower when you're ready to rinse it out. I generally don't keep it on for hours. I aim for at least 30 up to 60 minutes or so.

ETA -- ketchup or squeeze bottle sounds good!

Merewen
August 3rd, 2010, 08:08 PM
That is why I always apply it in the shower. It gets pretty messy!

Luckysock
August 3rd, 2010, 08:17 PM
haha yes - but even worse is the mess I made when doing a Cassia treatment (I can't even imagine what I would do to my apartment with indigo)

virgo75
August 3rd, 2010, 08:41 PM
I apply mine when I'm not showering and do it the same way I do henna:

Pre SMT/henna - shampoo & towel dry to 75% dry or so.

Application:
*Mix in a bowl.
*Put the bowl in the tub.
*Bend over the tub and scoop with my hands as much as possible and pour what's left onto my head.
*Cover my hair with a plastic bag and towel and wait for however long until I rinse.

I don't usually get a mess unless my hair is too wet and then I might get a drip running down the back of my neck or forehead and I can easily catch that with a towel.

Hope that helps. :flower:

ghost
August 3rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
The ketchup bottle sounds like a great idea. I make huge messes with pretty much anything I try to put on my hair (SMT, homemade hair masks, coconut milk, etc) so...I should start employing that soon.

julliams
August 4th, 2010, 02:28 AM
I make a mess always, but then I always make a mess so.... I actually used the SMT mixture on my hair as conditioner that I left in for no more than 5 minutes and it still gave me a great result. I wouldn't think you would need to have it on there for several hours. Anything up to an hour is good too.