PDA

View Full Version : Best hair routine ?

waidz
August 3rd, 2010, 04:42 PM
Hi LHC'ers
I have been so bad when it comes to my hair! I reverted to every hair sin under the sun and suffering for it. I decided to revisit the forums and boy am I happy I did as I am once again inspired to take care of my hair again.

It's been a while and although I know more or less what the good and bad things are when it comes to hair care, I would like to know what the ideal hair care routine is for someone like me. I am hoping that those that have travelled this path can give me advice.

I have naturally curly fizzy hair that loves cones. Unfortunately with armpit length hair I can't air dry loose as it dries outward and upward akin to a lions mane. I also have alot of damage and breakage on my front due to highlights ironing and lack of maintenance.

My normal is simply wash condition and blow fry once a week. So what is the best recommended routine or what do you do so I can try a few and see what works.

Thanks again! I really hope I can be one of those that posts anniversary pics that looks stunning!

PS my profile pic is from 2 years ago after henna and oiling. I don't want to use henna again as I don't like redness in my hair seems to wash me out as I have olive yellowish skin so only goldish browns seem to suit me.

Apologies for the ramble it's been a while ;)

Jessica Trapp
August 3rd, 2010, 05:07 PM
Maybe a C-W-C routine with a diluted shampoo and some SMT treatments would give it some TLC.

:flower: jes

*Aoife*
August 3rd, 2010, 06:01 PM
I would sugget Conditioner Only since you're curly. It tends to tame the frizz and help define curls. Try braiding or bunning your hair when wet so that it doesn't dry outwards.

Brenda714
August 3rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hi Waidz, What I do with my curly hair, sounds weird, but really helps tame it and look good, is I wash it at night and sleep on it wet and in the morning it's dry and the curls have no frizz! Do deep conditioners also.

virgo75
August 3rd, 2010, 08:44 PM
My hair isn't long right now :( but it is curly and I'm finding that for me C-W-C is the best.

If my scalp could handle CO washing exclusively I would try that instead. But my scalp needs shampoo or I shed like a dog and have horrible itching and flakes. :shake:
But a lot of people have success with it, so I'd try it to see if your hair and scalp like it.

Also second SMTs which are great.
If your hair is super dry, you may try them on towel dried hair rather than wet and may add some evoo or other oils if your hair likes them.

Hope that helps. :flower:

TXbarbie
August 3rd, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hi Waidz :) I don't think there is such a thing as THE best hair routine - extraneous variables such as the air pollution, humidity in your area, your activity level, etc. will affect what your hair needs.

I have tried CO with little success (my scalp is too oily) so I have stuck with CWC and scalp washes. My hair also likes cones, so I use Nexxus conditioner and am using up my Herbal Essences shampoo. I also use a Redken split-end mender, CHI detangling spray, and Kerastase shine spray on my hair because I blow dry it every time I wash it.

Just experiment with different routines and give yourself a month or two whenever you switch it up so you can see how your hair reacts. Happy hunting!

Kristin
August 3rd, 2010, 09:30 PM
If you are a curly, I would definitely at least TRY CO-washing. I CO almost every day and it is really keeping my hair moisturized. If that doesn't work for you, you may want to try giving up sulfates; SLS is particularly drying in my experience, but my hair likes ALS. You may also want to banish alcohols from your products. I agree with the suggestion to do lots of SMTs. I REALLY love oiling with coconut oil or NightBlooming's Panacea Vegan Salve, but oils aren't for everyone.

Whenever I've grown out my hair in the past, the first thing to go is heat-styling. Now I only do it when necessary (once every 2-3 months or so).

Happy experimenting! I hope you find a routine that works for you!

Othala
August 4th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I suggest a very simple routine using the minimal amount of shampoo on your scalp only, rinse well and then apply a leave-in conditioner to your damp hair and finger comb through.

Also recommend a tiny amount of coconut oil rubbed well into the palms of your hands and stroked down the length of your hair canopy to smooth your frizzies and moisturise your ends.

waidz
August 5th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks so much guys. Consensus seems to be CO and CWC, so I am going to try CO first then CWC to see which does better.
I forgot about SMT will definately try that again as well.

Thanks again I will post an update after 2 weeks.

Xo

anniemae
August 9th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Hi Waidz, What I do with my curly hair, sounds weird, but really helps tame it and look good, is I wash it at night and sleep on it wet and in the morning it's dry and the curls have no frizz! Do deep conditioners also.
Brenda,
I'll have to try that. I always wash mine in the morning, so it definitely stays more "fluffy" during the day.

I hope your method works!! (I wash mine everyday - a bad habit :o).

I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

Azhtabak
August 9th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Hi - for your drying upwards problem, maybe try drying more of it while wrapped in a towel? Might help to keep it down a bit more I guess, rather than blowfrying it? :confused: