PDA

View Full Version : Hard Water

haircrazedgirl
August 3rd, 2010, 04:24 PM
I have hard water I clarify 2x a month which i dont like to do because i shampoo 2x a month. So im basically washing my hair weekly when i use to only wash 1month and clarify 1 month. Is it necessary this much? Do you think my cowashes and deep conditioners make up for the extra washing? Also do you think its ok to clarify with a cheap brand like vo5 or should i invest into something my pricey. My favorite line is NTM. Anyone knows of a better clarifier

doro357
August 4th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Have you tried a shower filter? My hair felt softer when I used one.

Night_Kitten
August 4th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I read in one of the treads (don't remember which one, sorry) that an ACV wash can prevent buildup from hard water

Deborah
August 4th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I have very hard water. What works for me is to finish every hair wash with a vinegar or citric acid rinse, which I don't rinse out. Just pour it all over, and done!

kristymarie87
August 4th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I have very hard water. What works for me is to finish every hair wash with a vinegar or citric acid rinse, which I don't rinse out. Just pour it all over, and done!

Doesnt it smell vinigary? I would like to try, but i cant stand the smell of vinegar!

countryhopper
August 4th, 2010, 09:10 AM
The vinegar smell fades after your hair dries. You don't need to use much vinegar. Just dillute a small amount in water.

You could also try washing your hair with distilled water. Since you wash so infrequently, you wouldn't need to be buying water constantly.

jeanniet
August 4th, 2010, 09:33 AM
A citric acid rinse won't smell at all. You might also try "miracle water." Here's the link to that thread: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51184

linda g
August 4th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I have hard water, and I use a final rinse of a splash of vinegar in about 2 cups of water.

I have used both apple cider vinegar and white vinegar with equally good results.

clichepithet
August 4th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I second (third? fourth?) a final vinegar rinse, I use plain white. I use about 3 tablespoons in 1 gallon of cold water (I saved an empty vinegar jug and it sits by my "full" jug by the shower, and I just fill 'er up while I wait for my running water to get warm). Also, I add a pinch of baking soda to my shampoo-diluting bottle before I add my wee bit of (whatever) shampoo... and water.

Just remember that if you're using baking soda and vinegar in close quarters and such that mixing the two has a volatile reaction. Therefore you don't want to mix them upon your person.

ETA: If you're concerned about frequent washes, you could try a CWC method as well.

teela1978
August 4th, 2010, 10:24 AM
How do you differentiate between "shampooing" and "clarifying"? Can you combine the two?