PDA

View Full Version : "Dorky" hair stage...AGH!

HairFaerie
August 3rd, 2010, 11:01 AM
I am going through a "dorky" hair stage right now and I can't wait to get through it. My hair is starting to grow over my ears and when I wear my glasses, I get hair "wings"! If I tuck them under my glasses, it looks very dorky. Once it gets long enough to go over my ears completely, it will be fine but who knows how long that will take? UGH!
Anyone else going through a "dorky" stage?

Luckysock
August 3rd, 2010, 11:04 AM
yes, although my hair is BSL, my bangs are growing out and are hitting just above my chin - they are awkward and have been for a good year. If I clip them back I look like a little kid, and if I let them loose I look like a sloppy mess. I feel completely un-chic either way. Oh well, I think you and I both only have a few months until we are in a different place, right? just have to hang in there :)

HairFaerie
August 3rd, 2010, 11:08 AM
Yes, bangs can be frustrating. I will be facing that eventually too!
I know it will eventually go away but in the mean time, I feel like a total dork! :wacko:

lillylonghair
August 3rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
I used to pin my hair up in little buns all over my head. I made a messy,'on-purpose' type look. Also head bands and scarves will be your friend right now. I wouldn't try and make your hair loo too perfect. Mess it up a bit and throw on a cute head band. I know this stage sucks but it will be over before ya know it!

kabelaced
August 3rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
I am going through a "dorky" hair stage right now and I can't wait to get through it. My hair is starting to grow over my ears and when I wear my glasses, I get hair "wings"! If I tuck them under my glasses, it looks very dorky. Once it gets long enough to go over my ears completely, it will be fine but who knows how long that will take? UGH!

YES! I hate the way my hair looks right now. The front looks okay, but the back always looks horrendous, and the sides don't behave any more, either. :(

But we will make it out of this! Patience, patience!! :hollie:

Gumball
August 3rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
I definitely went through what I considered a "dorky" stage. Because I have curly hair, I ended up with hair that tried to go everywhere as it grew out. It took some good old fashioned elbow grease to keep it in line. Hehe. Honestly it wasn't too bad for me, but it was the "darn it's not long enough to do anything to!" stage. I think that was my most frustrating part.

Henrietta
August 3rd, 2010, 11:21 AM
The less you think about it, the shorter it seems to take your hair to grow. Patience... Maybe there is a way to clip it somehow?
I am at "endless BSL" stage now, not a funny thing too.

kimki
August 3rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
I second the scarf, head band and hats idea. Out of sight out of mind! :)

*Aoife*
August 3rd, 2010, 11:31 AM
You'll get through it. I finished going through an awful stage a couple of months ago and I am loving my hair these days!

Tabihito
August 3rd, 2010, 11:40 AM
You could try wearing something along the lines of a bucket hat or floppy sunhat if those tend to look good on you. They're summery and do a pretty good job of covering up your ears. The good news is, growing out from that length, it's only the bottom layer that needs to get long enough to not make wings, the top layers will just follow suit in their own time, but don't tend to be as annoying.

Also, if it's an option to you, you could try wearing your glasses only when necessary until you get through this stage. Of course, if you're anything like me, "when necessary" is pretty much any time you're not either sleeping or in the shower.

wvgemini
August 3rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
I totally understand where you are coming from! Mine is brushing the top of my collar and the ends will now do this weird "I'm going to flip everywhere" thing. Plus, it brushes to top of my collar and drives me nuts!

I'd love to put it up but it isn't quite long enough for that yet. I'd love to do it half up, but the side bits go all wonky and don't look right yet either. Gah! I would do headbands and scarves, but I can't wear them in uniform. Boo.

pepperminttea
August 3rd, 2010, 01:40 PM
Could you try pinning it up into a little pouf at the front? If not, scarves are worth a try; if you decide you don't like it, you can always use the scarf for a light summer accessory, so it's a win-win really. :)

HairFaerie
August 3rd, 2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks, everyone, for all of the suggestions! I know I am not alone in this!
I am not sure if it's even long enough yet to pin up somehow. It really is in that "in between" stage where it's too short to do most things but too long to do other things.
I don't picture myself as being a scarf person but I suppose I could give it a try! It couldn't hurt to try, right?
I like the "messy hair" suggestion. That seems to suit my personality better! Hehehe!
The last time I tried to put a product in it and wear it messy, it just didn't seem to work out. It ended up straight and hard as a rock! UGH! Maybe I am just using the wrong product or perhaps it's not quite long enough to accomplish this yet. I used "Tousle Me Softly" spray by Herbal Essence. Maybe a will try a styling gel or something like that.

longblondetan
August 3rd, 2010, 02:15 PM
I went through this, I have to say it was less frustrating then the mullet stage.

HairFaerie
August 3rd, 2010, 02:41 PM
I went through this, I have to say it was less frustrating then the mullet stage.
Hahaha! I know what you mean! I went through that mullet stage when I grew out my Mohawk! Horrible!

lillylonghair
August 3rd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks, everyone, for all of the suggestions! I know I am not alone in this!
I am not sure if it's even long enough yet to pin up somehow. It really is in that "in between" stage where it's too short to do most things but too long to do other things.
I don't picture myself as being a scarf person but I suppose I could give it a try! It couldn't hurt to try, right?
I like the "messy hair" suggestion. That seems to suit my personality better! Hehehe!
The last time I tried to put a product in it and wear it messy, it just didn't seem to work out. It ended up straight and hard as a rock! UGH! Maybe I am just using the wrong product or perhaps it's not quite long enough to accomplish this yet. I used "Tousle Me Softly" spray by Herbal Essence. Maybe a will try a styling gel or something like that.

Some type of molding paste or texture cream will help out! All you need to do it put a bit (a lilttle dab'll do ya!) on you finger tips,warm it up and just scrunch it though the ends. It's usually best to work your way from the back of your head forward. That way the least amount of product in the front.That way you won't get greasy bangs or flat hair.Hope that helps!

Hotrox
August 3rd, 2010, 11:06 PM
I remember this stage and fully sympathise

Bobby pins are your friend right now. I used to slide them under the layer of hair just above my ear (does that make sense) so they are hidden from view and the flicky our over the ear piece is tucked down and away. My glasses would sit quite happily over the bobby pin too. I only needed to do it for about a month or so.

rapunzhell13
August 4th, 2010, 12:39 AM
This is the stage I'm at right now and it's terrible! It's all over the place. I wear a scarf when I really can't stand it.

yvsa
August 4th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I think i'm in the exact same stage. Including the wings. :D
This stage is awfull, but we have to stick with it. I am very tempted to trim (just a little trim:o)but I don't think it will help. Becaus in a few weeks time this stage will be back. I will try the scarf tip also:cheese:.

Fufu
August 4th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I'm going through an akward stage too, shorter layered hair sticking out of the shoulder.

I believe when time comes, our hair will reach the blissful stage, no worries about it :)

dropinthebucket
August 4th, 2010, 07:30 AM
My bangs always do that over my glasses! the fact that my hair really waves/curls just at the front (where the bangs are) worsens it - they're not so much wings as devil's horns. Curling iron often needed to tame them! Luckily, they're bangs, so the heat damage in those spots is not so big a deal. :)

Mutinous
August 4th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Definately. Luckily mine was over the winter months so I just shoved a hat on everyday!