PDA

View Full Version : Help for a wedding updo please.

melrose1985
August 3rd, 2010, 10:46 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding taking place on the 14th this month. The bride has requested for our hair that it's all up or all down because she's doing half and half.

I want to put mine all up because I don't want the hair dresser using hot tools on my hair at all. So I figure this is the best way to make sure. My hair kind of does it's own thing while it's down so I feel like they would want to use hot tools on my hair.

This is the length of my hair now. Lots of layers. The layers start about my shoulders. I also have side swept bangs which I would keep down because I don't like all my hair off my face. I don't want a slicked back look either or anything tight. Also I need something easy to do too.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2057&pictureid=77731

This is one of the styles I was thinking- first picture of Nicole Richie- http://www.newhairstyles2010.com/nicole-richie-hair-braid.html

Any other ideas? All is welcomed- or if you have any advice. I haven't been to a hairdresser in a LONG time and the last time i was in a wedding my hair was short and I had a hair piece in.

Yozhik
August 3rd, 2010, 10:56 AM
I think that French twists and Gibson tucks look really chic and elegant for formal occasions :) Maybe you could spruce one up with a side braid?

I also like the braid updo that Nicole Ritchie has. It's really all in how you want to look. Your hair is definitely a great length for a number of updos, too! You could even do something like a hairband braid leading back to some nice updo :)

A word to the wise -- one of the most heat-style intensive hairstyles I ever got was an updo with tons and tons of pinned curls in a loose bun, so it's not guaranteed that and updo will mean you hair is less messed with by the hairstylist unless you tell her that you explicitly do not want heat ;) :flower:

Have fun at the wedding, and congrats to your friend!

Luckysock
August 3rd, 2010, 10:59 AM
Hi. The link for the nicole Richie look isn't connecting for me, but I think I know the one (braided?) so pretty!

I'll warn you that even if you are putting your hair up, the hair dresser might still want to use heat tools to get your hair into the right texture. I have naturally pretty straight hair and when I put it up for my wedding the hair dresser put it in rollers and sat me under the dryer to "cook it" for a good 20 min until it got super crunchy :S I was also doing a braided updo much like the one I think you are talking about.

No big deal, just mentally prepare yourself to tell the stylist you would prefer not to use heat on your hair. I'm sure they can respect that wish, and get the same lovely updo without the damage.

melrose1985
August 3rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
Oh geez! I didn't realize they still would probably try for it. I think I would need to keep the style to something that is not curled at all, that way me telling them no heat wont be the end of the world. I realize with an updo I can't walk in and them I want a curl bun but they can't use heat... I would be there forever!

I think that French twists and Gibson tucks look really chic and elegant for formal occasions :) Maybe you could spruce one up with a side braid?

I also like the braid updo that Nicole Ritchie has. It's really all in how you want to look. Your hair is definitely a great length for a number of updos, too! You could even do something like a hairband braid leading back to some nice updo :)

A word to the wise -- one of the most heat-style intensive hairstyles I ever got was an updo with tons and tons of pinned curls in a loose bun, so it's not guaranteed that and updo will mean you hair is less messed with by the hairstylist unless you tell her that you explicitly do not want heat ;) :flower:

Have fun at the wedding, and congrats to your friend!
I like the idea of any up do with a side braid. And I was thinking about a french twist but something loose.

Hi. The link for the nicole Richie look isn't connecting for me, but I think I know the one (braided?) so pretty!

I'll warn you that even if you are putting your hair up, the hair dresser might still want to use heat tools to get your hair into the right texture. I have naturally pretty straight hair and when I put it up for my wedding the hair dresser put it in rollers and sat me under the dryer to "cook it" for a good 20 min until it got super crunchy :S I was also doing a braided updo much like the one I think you are talking about.

No big deal, just mentally prepare yourself to tell the stylist you would prefer not to use heat on your hair. I'm sure they can respect that wish, and get the same lovely updo without the damage.
yea the style is two braid on the side (maybe both sides?) that go to a lower mess bun thing.

chelseamichelle
August 3rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Last time i had my hair done the hairdresser fried my hair like crazy! Tell her in advance and make it really clear that you don't want heat!

melrose1985
August 3rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Last time i had my hair done the hairdresser fried my hair like crazy! Tell her in advance and make it really clear that you don't want heat!

Thanks... I really didn't realize I would have to be so tough on them to make sure... but it's a good thing i'm here because I didnt no this.

Pumpkin
August 3rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
A french twist is an option...I wore that style as a bride's maid years ago at a wedding.

spidermom
August 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
Another idea is to make two ponytails, one above the other, then take individual strands and roll them around your fingers and pin down on one side of the roll (so that it stands up). Make sure the ends get pinned under the roll. It looks like cascading curls. (I don't know how to link a picture.)

Luckysock
August 3rd, 2010, 12:26 PM
For sure - with any updo they start with product and at least hot rollers, velcro rollers, or a blow out - no matter what the intended look is - its to get the hair to have more texture so it 'behaves' better.