PDA

View Full Version : The dark side of Serum

Tennessee Rose
August 3rd, 2010, 09:37 AM
To avoid my hair from getting frizzy, many people told me to use serum. I use a cheap serum from a label that does not test with animals which is fine, but there is a problem...it has cones. And those are the ingredients:

Cyclopentasiloxane
Dimethiconol
Alcohol Denat
Phenyl Trimethicone
Ehtylhexyl MethoxycinnamateIt really works to avoid it from frizzing, I also use EVOO, but I'm not sure if it is the best way to solve the problem or if those ingredients are more harmfull than good mosturizers. As far as i know Alcohol Denat dryes a lot. While Cyclopentasiloxane makes hair easier to brush avoiding to break it, Dimethiconol gives shine (but I think it is a cone), Phenyl Trimethicone is a heat resistant, but it is also a cone and Ehtylhexyl Methoxycinnamate is a good UV rays filter.

Does any one know another remedy against extreme frizzing besides oils like Olive, Jojoba or Coconut?

breezefaerie
August 3rd, 2010, 09:47 AM
I know that there is a recipe for Kimberlily's Frizz spray around here somewhere. I've never used it but lots of folks here swear by it.
Here is the recipe:

Kimberlily's defrizz spray:

In a 4oz mister, mix the following:

2 tbsp aloe gel
1 tsp jojoba
1 tsp glycerin (you can leave it out if you don't have any)
essential oils of choice

Add distilled water until full, then shake. Spray can be used as a detangler, and it encourages wonderful waves especially when used for damp bunning. Tap water can be used, but distilled water is better since it will keep longer. I have hard water, so I never use tap water.

Here is her thread :
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277&highlight=kimberlily%27s+spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277&highlight=kimberlily%27s+spray)

As for the cones, if they work for you, they aren't necessarily the enemy. My hair loves cones in small amounts. It totally depends on your hair.

Tennessee Rose
August 3rd, 2010, 10:06 AM
I know that there is a recipe for Kimberlily's Frizz spray around here somewhere. I've never used it but lots of folks here swear by it.
Here is the recipe:

2 tbsp aloe gel
1 tsp jojoba
essential oils of choice

Add distilled water until full, then shake. Spray can be used as a detangler, and it encourages wonderful waves especially when used for damp bunning. Tap water can be used, but distilled water is better since it will keep longer. I have hard water, so I never use tap water.

Here is her thread :
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277&highlight=kimberlily%27s+spray

As for the cones, if they work for you, they aren't necessarily the enemy. My hair loves cones in small amounts. It totally depends on your hair.

Thank You for the advice breezefaerie. I'll try it, and I won't use tap water either, mine is hard too.

spidermom
August 3rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
Cones aren't necessarily a bad thing. Personally, I love my coney serum (CHI Silk Infusion). A little goes a long way, and there's nothing bad I can say about it.

Tennessee Rose
August 3rd, 2010, 10:12 AM
Cones aren't necessarily a bad thing. Personally, I love my coney serum (CHI Silk Infusion). A little goes a long way, and there's nothing bad I can say about it.

My Conditioner has cones though. But it seems that everybody is going mad when they hear about cones and how they seal but not repair. I guess they spread it to me.

I'll try the natural remedy, but thanks to your comment i feel much better and not like a Hair killer.

spidermom
August 3rd, 2010, 10:20 AM
I think of it this way - cones seal moisture IN.

Lil Red Vampire
August 3rd, 2010, 11:31 AM
I have been trying to live without "cones", but I can't. My hair is just a frizzy, hot mess. I can't live without my Biosilk of my Cibu Sashini spray. *sigh*....if only I could have smooth, silky hair instead of a course, wiry, horses tail. :-)

sibiryachka
August 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
If you do want to try an alternative, I find that grapeseed oil works on my hair almost exactly like a coney serum. YMMV, of course... I'm in the "hair is happier since ditching the cones" camp, but to each his/her own.

*Aoife*
August 3rd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Cones are an individual thing. I can't stand them because they wreck my waves but some people need them.

This sounds kinda bitchey so I'm sorry but when people arrive here and see a lot of people who don't like cones, they get very anti-cones too. But there are a lot of people here who need them!

lpsqt60
August 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
I feel the same way, it is easy to see what a lot of people have written about the evils of cones and decide that it is not for you. For me, my hair needs a lot of product and most have cones, I think that my hair is in decent shape and I would actually be afraid to not have cones on my hair as it would become a big puffball.
I appreciate the advice and tips that I have gleaned from here especially about CO which I have switched too and love, thank you:p and yes, there are cones in my conditioner.
But giving up cones, I just don't think that is for me personally.
Each person just needs to decide what is best for their own hair and do so accordingly.

LouLaLa
August 3rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
I use about 2 drops of serum after a full head massage, but i figure since ive just coated my hair with natural oil im just sealing in my own oils. Id love to give up all product but since I gave up shampoo, all styling prods like mousse, spray etc two tiny drops of serum are ok. I cut off all my damage anyway so I dont think im hiding much with the little ammount I use espcially as ive given up dye as well.

I think each just has to do what their hair tells them after a process of trial and error.

Tabihito
August 3rd, 2010, 12:02 PM
I have been trying to live without "cones", but I can't. My hair is just a frizzy, hot mess. I can't live without my Biosilk of my Cibu Sashini spray. *sigh*....if only I could have smooth, silky hair instead of a course, wiry, horses tail. :-)Trust me, fine hair has its share of pitfalls as well. I'm starting to consider using 'cones when I plan on wearing my hair down, just because otherwise my hair practically tries to float away. It might feel nice to the touch, but it's still a frizzy mess either way.

As for 'cones, they have their ups and their downs. If you're using an SLS shampoo every time you wash your hair, you might as well use them, since they're not going to be building up too badly. Where I think the biggest issue comes is people who go SLS-free shampoo, or CO, and the cones build up. As spidermom mentioned, they do seal moisture in when used right. But if they're allowed to build up, they're also going to be sealing moisture out.

In the end, I think it comes down to how you want to wash your hair. My hair absolutely hates SLS, so once I found that out I cut the cones out as well. If you do okay with the SLS-and-cones combination, then I'd say stick with that.

spidermom
August 3rd, 2010, 12:17 PM
I dilute my shampoo a lot, SLS or otherwise, and usually only wash the scalp area. I haven't noticed a problem with cones building up. Oil does, however, plus it attracts all the dust and lint from a 3-state radius. Sometimes I apply oil just before washing and sometimes just after, followed by coney serum.

Jessica Trapp
August 3rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
Here is the recipe:

2 tbsp aloe gel
1 tsp jojoba
essential oils of choice

Here is her thread :
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277&highlight=kimberlily%27s+spray

Thanks for this!

:flower: jes

Igor
August 4th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Why should sealing be bad?

Cones seal moisture in (Like Spidermom said) and gives you slip and protection from damage

Serums are full of cones for a reason: They really do combat frizz!

And a lot of us around here do like cones and couldn’t live without them

HintOfMint
August 4th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Just adding my two cents here.

Unlike Spidermom, I have found that cones build up in my hair, even though I use an SLS shampoo. I CWC and I concentrate the shampoo at the scalp and if I use a coney serum (with pretty much the same ingredients as the serum the OP uses) and I do my usual CWC routine, the serum will build up and my ends will be dry and crunchy within DAYS. Basically I need to get the serum off my length very quickly and this is not achieved with a traditional CWC. Unfortunately, my ends hate SLS with a fiery bloodthirsty passion, so I try not to use a serum too often. For me, it is an issue of buildup and cleaning method that makes me not want to use serums anymore.

misspriss
August 4th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I used a coney conditioner, although not a serum, and I CWC. I do not notice any buildup, but it may just take a while.