PDA

View Full Version : Henna appears 'redder' on the top part of my hair.

Quezie
August 3rd, 2010, 12:03 AM
Edited. Does anyone know how I can fix this? :( I just touched my roots up, and now it's even more noticeably red at the top of my head.
I don't have any henna at the moment, but maybe once I order so more, I can try to even it out. But getting it even seems like it would be tricky without overlapping and creating some blotchy dark line, if that makes sense.

The top part of my hair (like my roots) is a more RED red, and slightly darker than the ends of my hair.

Which means, the ends are a bit lighter, and oranger. Also, by ends I mean, like everything from my ear down.

Anyone know why this could be?
I thought maybe because I didn't shampoo the ends well enough before henna-ing, or maybe the heat from my scalp caused more dye to take in the roots? :confused: Which doesn't make sense, because I blow the ends with hot air (after wrapping it all up in plastic), and then I wear two warm hats to keep the heat in.

Any ideas why this could be?

Phexlyn
August 3rd, 2010, 02:16 AM
I'm no expert on the subject, but did you have a colour difference before hennaing, or is the lower part of your hair more damaged in any way? This might cause different dye uptake.

BelleBot
August 3rd, 2010, 04:59 AM
Perhaps it's just because your ends are naturally lighter than your roots as they've had more exposure to the sun. I know my colour varies down the length because of chemical treatments and sun exposure. My ends always lighter than my roots.

Quezie
August 3rd, 2010, 03:05 PM
I'm no expert on the subject, but did you have a colour difference before hennaing, or is the lower part of your hair more damaged in any way? This might cause different dye uptake.

I don't think the colour was any different, but its possible.
And I imagine the lower part is more damaged. That does make sense. :agree:

Perhaps it's just because your ends are naturally lighter than your roots as they've had more exposure to the sun. I know my colour varies down the length because of chemical treatments and sun exposure. My ends always lighter than my roots.

Maybe, yeah. I thought my hair all had the same amount of damage from chemicals, but maybe not, haha.

Quezie
September 15th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Anyone here successfully evened out their hair without creating weird blotchy colour?

Marjolein
September 15th, 2010, 03:09 AM
I'm not sure if this will help you, but you could do a test strand: I think that if you did a whole head application or even just a length application, that this would help darken up your length to a color more like the one on your roots.

You could for example apply henna mix from the ears down, wait 1 or 1.5 hours and then apply some more to the top of your hair and leave this on for half an hour. This way you shouldn't get any blotchy spots or a demarcation line.

Amethyste
September 15th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Hey there...

Your problem is exactly like mine. I never could get my roots to match the rest of my hair... I tried so many different solutions and that is one of the reason why I might have to go back to commercial dyes... :(

little_cherry
September 15th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Try a couple more henna length touch ups (a few length glosses) to even the colour out.

I'm guessing your length is much lighter than your roots..henna will work with the hairs' original colour which is why it can look multi-dimensional instead of flat (like most box dyes).

McFearless
September 15th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Am I the only person who actually likes when the length is lighter? Post a photo OP, I bet its not as dramatic as you think. Anyway I think you could do a henna gloss on your length. It'll blend well.