PDA

View Full Version : I think I was a rude long hair tonight

SurprisingWoman
August 2nd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Tonight my husband and I went to see my brother-in-law in a play. It was great and I was so engaged in watching him that I wasn't as aware as I normally try to be about my hair and what it's doing.

This was a theater made out of an old church and the chairs we were sitting in were comfortable but they were small and very close together. My husband had to sit canted in his seat because his knees were touching the back of the row in front of us.

The theater was not air conditioned and it was warm so I had my hair pulled over my left shoulder to cool the back of my neck.

The girl on my left had her special needs sister on her left and the sister kept putting her arm around her and being very affectionate. The girl on my left ended up sitting forward in her chair and leaning against the row in front of us. At first I was thinking she was doing it to keep cool from all the hugging but at the very end of the play (naturally) it occurred to me that she might have been getting "tickled" by my hair.

Now I feel rude. I should have at least been aware so I could keep my hair behind me. I normally try to be aware but I was so engaged I didn't pay attention and I feel like a rude prat. Too late to do anything about it now but I will try to remember to pay more attention in the future. We know how our hair can drift into other people's space. Dang it.

Juneii
August 3rd, 2010, 12:07 AM
It's alright, as long as you know not to next time :)
I can't even begin to count the number of times I almost poked other people's eyes out with my hair stick. Or the numerous times I've whacked poor dbf with my hair when I turn my head. You don't realize it until it's over and all you can do is be more careful next time.
Try not to fret too much, you didn't do it on purpose.

SilvraShadows
August 3rd, 2010, 12:18 AM
You are a very thoughtful person, I can see that.

Now this is rude... once at a wedding reception I was sitting next to my hubby's cousin, her hair is to her tb, and we had just been served our dinner. She flipped her hair in a way that it draped over my plate. All my yummy food...

She never even apologized.

Phexlyn
August 3rd, 2010, 02:09 AM
Now this is rude... once at a wedding reception I was sitting next to my hubby's cousin, her hair is to her tb, and we had just been served our dinner. She flipped her hair in a way that it draped over my plate. All my yummy food...

That sounds just... ewww.

A friend of mine had hair down to her hips for a very long time, and she kept flipping it into my face... she wasn't really aware of it, even though I did complain.

To OP:
I wish people would be more direct when it comes to those things. Strangely enough, I have not yet met anyone who would tell me to put my hair somewhere else even if they were bothered by it :o
We can just try to be more polite next time, and your post shows that you really care about this. Don't feel down, you didn't mean to be rude.

mali
August 3rd, 2010, 03:51 AM
Wow,those are some funny stories! I have one but it's not as funny:confused:.I was talking with a friend and behind us was a the boy I used to like and I turned around and slapped him in the face with my hair!:slap:It was awkward and I never apologized:run::D

kimki
August 3rd, 2010, 06:25 AM
It might not of been your hair, maybe she was more comfortable leaning forward, she had a backache or something. You seem like a thoughtful person so I wouldn't worry. :flower:

SilvraShadows that is appalling. Hair and food = big yuck to me. I would of been upset.

Carolyn
August 3rd, 2010, 06:55 AM

She never even apologized.This made me giggle. So did you go get another plate of food or did you eat it? I would have probably just shrugged and eaten my food. I've flipped my own hair in my food so many times it doesn't bother me. The only thing that really bothers me is licking catsup or gravy off my hair :silly:

OP, I wouldn't worry about it. Next time be more aware of where your hair is. If your hair is contained in your own space then you are good. Maybe she was encroaching on your space?

cindy58
August 3rd, 2010, 06:56 AM
You could have pulled your hair to the right and tickled your husband instead . . . !

Are you left handed? I ask because I'm right handed and if I'm pulling over one shoulder it always seems to be the right side.

Anje
August 3rd, 2010, 07:15 AM
You are a very thoughtful person, I can see that.

Ewwww....

I suppose it would have been rude to pick the plate of food up and dump it in her lap?

Svenja
August 3rd, 2010, 07:24 AM
If you were not aware of it, how could it be rude? It's very thoughtful of you to be concerned but as you did not do it intentionally, I cannot see it being rude :)

Nightshade
August 3rd, 2010, 07:56 AM
Ewwww....

I suppose it would have been rude to pick the plate of food up and dump it in her lap?

Or have rubbed her cake fork in your armpit at the very least.

Yayasmurf
August 3rd, 2010, 08:07 AM

Nightshade You crack me up :D

As for being hair rude... I try to control my hair around other people but sometimes it just has a mind of it's own!

SurprisingWoman
August 3rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Well, it was my hair. It turns out she and my SIL are in the same ward (church) and had a meeting this morning.

They were talking about the play and she told my SIL about "this lady sitting next to me with the most beautiful hair I have ever seen."

She didn't say anything because she thought my hair was pretty. That was very sweet of her but next time I am bunning.

SilvraShadows, I can not even imagine. I KNOW I wouldn't have done that, I am uber paranoid around food. ;)

Thanks for all the support. I felt so bad last night thinking about her leaning forward for over two hours. More thought in the future for sure!

Jenn of Pence
August 3rd, 2010, 11:29 AM
Oh, I feel so bad when I do things that might be rude or maddening to someone and I don't realize it! Of course, we realize we can't usually fix it after the fact, but it still bugs me for a while, too. At the very least I try to think of it as a learning opportunity for later...only helps so much, though.

Oh, Carolyn...that had me laughing! I can just see myself slurping food out of my hair...there are some yummy things you just can't waste! ;)

adiapalic
August 3rd, 2010, 12:03 PM
Hehe... hair in food. Just last week I was standing in the bedroom, combing my hair for braiding before watching a little TV before bed. I got it combed down on one side, and whipped my hair back so I could flip it around on the opposite shoulder—and my DBF, who had walked behind me so quietly I didn't hear, just let out a disappointed groan. I turned around cause I had no idea he was standing there. MY hair had swiped straight through his yogurt. Lol, I felt bad... but he was sneaky! :laugh:

Had to go rinse yogurt streak out of my hair.

Miss Misha
August 3rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
Well, it was my hair. It turns out she and my SIL are in the same ward (church) and had a meeting this morning.

They were talking about the play and she told my SIL about "this lady sitting next to me with the most beautiful hair I have ever seen."

She didn't say anything because she thought my hair was pretty. That was very sweet of her but next time I am bunning.

BTW, from you signature pic, I totally agree with the girl who sat next to you at the play. You *do* have beautiful hair.

Gypsygirl
August 3rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
I don't think that was "rude". These things happen...and if she was bothered all that much, she could have just told you so... But you know, it was probably something else... Don't beat yourself up about it. Learn from your mistake and move on. :)

kimki
August 3rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
Hehe... hair in food. Just last week I was standing in the bedroom, combing my hair for braiding before watching a little TV before bed. I got it combed down on one side, and whipped my hair back so I could flip it around on the opposite shoulder—and my DBF, who had walked behind me so quietly I didn't hear, just let out a disappointed groan. I turned around cause I had no idea he was standing there. MY hair had swiped straight through his yogurt. Lol, I felt bad... but he was sneaky! :laugh:

Had to go rinse yogurt streak out of my hair.

At least it was conditioning :eyebrows: Sneaky ninja DBF. :D

SilvraShadows
August 3rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
This made me giggle. So did you go get another plate of food or did you eat it? :silly:

No, no, no.... I couldn't. I sort of gag when I find a strand of hair in my food for some odd reason.

Another story with the food and hair combo...

We were visiting some friends (mostly friends of my husband's, so I was quiet when this happened... and this lady has hair her mid-bums) well, she made a yummy looking spaghetti dish that was simmering on the stove. We were chatting while she was stirring it and she noticed a strand of hair. When she picked it out it had a clump of the ground turkey dangling on it. I was embarrassed for her, I really felt bad and was wondering if I would throw out the whole batch of this homemade, simmering all day batch of sauce. I would have been in a tizzy if I had that happen to me with guests waiting... but she didn't bat an eye... she pulled the meat off off it and tossed it back into the pot!!!

:agape:

At the very least I would have tossed the meat out too.

Out of respect and not wanting to offend her or let the cat out of the bag, I ate. But I was hoping I didn't get that one piece of meat.

SilvraShadows
August 3rd, 2010, 12:54 PM

So funny, Nightshade!

I was in shock to say the least and my poor husband was embarrassed because this was my first time to meet his wonderful Italian family. Actually I had a wonderful time, except this one little incident.

SurprisingWoman
August 3rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
No, no, no.... I couldn't. I sort of gag when I find a strand of hair in my food for some odd reason.

Another story with the food and hair combo...

... but she didn't bat an eye... she pulled the meat off off it and tossed it back into the pot!!!

:agape:

Are you KIDDING ME! Pulled the meat off and THREW IT BACK IN THE POT???? OMG OMG OMG

I would have developed a sudden stomach virus and had to go home right away. I get queasy if I find my own hair in food.

Actually, I don't know what I would have done but you are a champ for dealing with it so well. Good on ya.

Miss Misha (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=28772): Thank you very much. :):):)

SilvraShadows
August 3rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
Are you KIDDING ME! Pulled the meat off and THREW IT BACK IN THE POT???? OMG OMG OMG

I would have developed a sudden stomach virus and had to go home right away. I get queasy if I find my own hair in food.

Actually, I don't know what I would have done but you are a champ for dealing with it so well. Good on ya.

:):):)
Thank you! I was in a bit of a spot. Actually, I have a very weak stomach, I had a moment of turmoil, didn't know what to do. I ate a small amount.

It sounds as if your concerns were not warranted... she loved your tresses! So it all was okay :) and that is good!

yassi
August 3rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Another long hair doing strange things story: A friend of mine has hair that's probably a bit past waist length, and I used to sit in the desk behind her. She would always flip her hair onto my desk, and then her hair would steal my pencil...

Are you left handed? I ask because I'm right handed and if I'm pulling over one shoulder it always seems to be the right side.
weird. I'm right handed too, but I always pull my hair to the left, and my braids and ponytails always are slightly to the left of the center of my head unless I make a really big effort. =)

bumblebums
August 3rd, 2010, 02:51 PM
If you were not aware of it, how could it be rude? It's very thoughtful of you to be concerned but as you did not do it intentionally, I cannot see it being rude :)

Well, to me, the definition of politeness is to worry about any actions of yours that might offend someone and invade their space. You can be a noisy couple of 16-year old girls in a restaurant, obliviously giggling and screaming. You probably aren't aware of how much it bothers the soft-spoken elderly couple next to you, but it's still rude in Western society to act that way. By the same token, I usually try to keep my dog on a shorter leash when we ride in the elevator. I love her, she's super-friendly, but she tends to nuzzle up to people. Some of them are bothered by it. If she does it when I am not aware of it, because I am, say, playing with my iPod, then is it not rude? I think it is, and if it happens on occasion, I apologize profusely.

I wear my hair up if I am going to be in tight quarters with other people. Since it poofs out and has a mind of its own, by putting it up, I can prevent it from doing things that bother others, even without my knowledge.