PDA

View Full Version : I tried a sock bun

sparkle'n'bling
August 2nd, 2010, 05:10 PM
I tried a "fully rolled" sock bun, and it won't work for me. I gave it several goes, and managed to get it rolled reasonably neatly down the bottom, but then as I rolled higher up, it just got looser and messier. Any tips or tricks? Or do I just need more practice? My hair is classic length and quite fine.

Henrietta
August 3rd, 2010, 06:40 AM
I had the same problem. So... more practise, yes, but today I noticed something connected with fully rolled sock bun. When you roll, don't keep your hands under the base of the ponytail and roll up. Try to keep your hands above the elastic and roll down. And pull the sock up, your hair will be rolled more tight then and the bun won't be loose;)

Phexlyn
August 3rd, 2010, 07:04 AM
sparkle'n'bling,
I'm in the same boat. The more I roll, the fluffier and messier and more uneven it gets. When I finally arrive at the elastic of the ponytail, I have managed to roll a giant lopsided lump :rolleyes:
My hair is the same length and thickness as yours, so I will check in for answers as well.

I had the same problem. So... more practise, yes, but today I noticed something connected with fully rolled sock bun. When you roll, don't keep your hands under the base of the ponytail and roll up. Try to keep your hands above the elastic and roll down. And pull the sock up, your hair will be rolled more tight then and the bun won't be loose;)
Do you mean one should keep their hands above their head? Sorry I'm a bit slow of understanding today :o

Henrietta
August 3rd, 2010, 07:07 AM
sparkle'n'bling,
I'm in the same boat. The more I roll, the fluffier and messier and more uneven it gets. When I finally arrive at the elastic of the ponytail, I have managed to roll a giant lopsided lump :rolleyes:
My hair is the same length and thickness as yours, so I will check in for answers as well.

Do you mean one should keep their hands above their head? Sorry I'm a bit slow of understanding today :o

Yes:) It's not your understanding, it's my oh-so-unclear English. Sorry:o

Phexlyn
August 3rd, 2010, 08:06 AM
Oh don't apologise, English is a foreign language for me as well, and I just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly. Thanks for the tip, I'll try next time I make a sock bun :)

I really like your avatar, btw. :D

Henrietta
August 3rd, 2010, 09:44 AM
Oh don't apologise, English is a foreign language for me as well, and I just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly. Thanks for the tip, I'll try next time I make a sock bun :)

I really like your avatar, btw. :D
Thanks!:) I have an elves phase now. Obsession;)

I have just discovered something more. The better you tuck the ends into a sock before rolling, the better the result is. Especially for people with layers, like me;)

Ooooh, and I love your "location". "...for ten long years he'll count the days ..."

freckles
August 3rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
I really really really can't do the fully rolled sockbun. I have tried A LOT and it just doesn't work with my hair. So don't feel bad :)

I have a roll/hair doughnut thing I bought that clips apart in one place and I can get that to work a bit better. I don't know how to describe this 'thing', it's a hair doughnut but it comes as a straight line with a stud to clip it closed. I can roll the hair around it while it's in a straight line, then clip it into a ring shape. It's still not perfect but I find it easier than a normal hair doughnut or a sock.

Henrietta
August 3rd, 2010, 10:57 AM
I really really really can't do the fully rolled sockbun. I have tried A LOT and it just doesn't work with my hair. So don't feel bad :)

I have a roll/hair doughnut thing I bought that clips apart in one place and I can get that to work a bit better. I don't know how to describe this 'thing', it's a hair doughnut but it comes as a straight line with a stud to clip it closed. I can roll the hair around it while it's in a straight line, then clip it into a ring shape. It's still not perfect but I find it easier than a normal hair doughnut or a sock.

Sounds like a "doughnut" version of a hairagami;)

LouLaLa
August 3rd, 2010, 11:21 AM
IT may be a hair type issue but what I did is roll and roll ad roll, even when you think youre done keep on rolling and it eventually comes full circle, you need to pull it a little each time too so there is zero slack.

Good luck!!!!

sparkle'n'bling
August 3rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks for that everyone. I will keep trying, and hopefully it will start to get better.
Henrietta - sorry if it's a silly question, but how do you tuck the ends in to the sock?

ghost
August 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
I have never been able to do a fully rolled sock bun :(
Usually I just make a 'donut' out of the sock, stick it over my ponytail, then comb my hair over the sock to cover it. I wrap the ends around it and tuck them like you would on a normal bun.
Maybe one day I'll get the hang of the fully rolled sock bun, but until then my awkward version will have to suffice.