PDA

View Full Version : Canopy Care

ElusiveMuse
August 2nd, 2010, 04:39 PM
I hope I'm using the lingo right, the canopy is basically the top layer of hair, right?

Well, mine is a mess. Tons of flyaways from my shedding (which I think is more than normal due to stress that isn't going away any time soon so I just have to deal as best I can) and way more dry than beneath that one top layer. It doesn't curl like the rest of my hair does, and I think the texture problem is because it's more damaged. Underneath, my hair is beautiful so I know it can't be entirely stress/diet related.

What do you do for your hair to keep all of it healthy?

Right now I wash and condition every two days or so with pretty gentle, moisturizing products, clarify once a week with an SLS free scalp shampoo from Trader Joe's (Tingle shampoo, look at the ingredients, tons of good stuff in there), and I oil once a day with either coconut oil or Panacea salve.

What gives? My hairstyles? (Buns, mostly.)

Kathie
August 2nd, 2010, 04:45 PM
I use a mister before and after I style- it contains sweet almond oil, aloe vera, and glycerin diluted in distilled water. The before spritz is on the ends to give them a little more moisture. The after style spritz is to protect my canopy and hair that will be exposed to the elements for the day. Also it stops any frizzies.

ElusiveMuse
August 2nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Hmm...interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. I was using an Aveda leave-in conditioner with an SPF but I stopped because I suspect the chamomile was lightening my hair. I wonder if I need to work on an alternative method of element protection? I think aloe has sun blocking properties.

RachelRain
August 2nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
I have that too. a lot of mine, though, is because my snake likes to crawl up on top of my head and sit there. I should discourage him but I can't, he's too cute to get upset with.

I just squish a dot of conditioner and some aloe gel in my hands and smear it on. it doesn't stop the frizz down the length, but since I wear it down a lot, I'd have that anyways.

I did notice however, if I slap some leave in on my hair and put it up in a bun right after a shower, I don't get any frizz except right at my temples where the stuff never grows. I'm not a huge fan of buns but if I have to go somewhere and look nice, it's a good precautionary thing.

spidermom
August 2nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
I use more conditioner and more oil on my canopy. It's not too bad.

loralie
August 2nd, 2010, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I tend to pull up the section of hair around my part (so the very very top layer) and give it a little extra conditioning and it's own oil. Because my hair is layered, it doesn't always get enough when i'm smoothing the oil/conditioner through the rest of my ends.

SilvraShadows
August 2nd, 2010, 07:41 PM
My canopy is a child of its own... it's not silky and smooth like the rest of my hair. It's fuzzy and so much drier. So between washes I section it off and CO just that part for extra moisture. It helps a lot! Oils help too, but mostly after it has been moisturized first. I think mine is terminal, it won't grow past 20ish inches.