PDA

View Full Version : Hair forms "strings"

Tangles
May 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Sometimes when I comb my hair as it's drying, I end up with very "yarn-like" hair that looks extremely messy. I have pretty fine hair so I can get loads of flyaways. I don't have this problem when I damp bun, but I don't like damp bunning all the time because it makes me too curly. Any suggestions? This is a problem regardless of whether I use cones or not.

AnneAdeline
May 17th, 2008, 06:11 PM
My hair gets like this sometimes, I've figured out that combing my hair with a widetooth comb works really well. I blot most of the water out, comb, wait till it dries a bit more...comb until it is mostly dry. Have you tried combing?

Tangles
May 17th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Yep, ^^ look at the first post... this happens regardless of whether I comb or not :(

Curlsgirl
May 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Have you tried only combing once and then leaving it to dry? If I comb again it makes mine frizz and not do very well. I comb usually only while it's wet with conditioner in the shower and then sometime once when still wet before letting it dry but never during the drying time. Mine does sometimes get "ropey" for lack of a better word. I can't remember why mine did that for a while and then quit. I think it may have been the product I was using.

Tangles
May 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Yes, ropey, gross! The only product I'm using currently is oil on the ends, so I don't think that 's it. I'll try cutting back on the combing.

Elenna
May 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Tangles

I had stringy hair back when I blow dried and used products with silcons, etc.

As I stopped blow frying and switched to more natural products the stringiness went away. I really like the way pre-conditioning with coconut oil has made my hair "more together."

It takes a while to get your hair "act" together. You find the right hair care routines and then one day your hair is in better condition.

Curlsgirl
May 17th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Oh one more thing that someone told me that helped is that after it dries to separate the ropes into smaller waves or spirals very gently so as not to make it frizz or break up the curl pattern. Mine actually started doing it after my hair got healthier not when I first came here so it wasn't that for me.

Tangles
May 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Yep, same! My hair is soft and healthy now, but ropey and full of flyaways on my first day after washing. I'm hoping it's just a phase.

Riot Crrl
May 17th, 2008, 10:35 PM
What you're describing is something that I used to get rid of by dry brushing. But now I call it "clumping" and think that it is sought after :D

Curlsgirl
May 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM
What you're describing is something that I used to get rid of by dry brushing. But now I call it "clumping" and think that it is sought after :D

I agree with this. :)

florenonite
May 18th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I get this sometimes, too. I don't wet-comb my hair, but sometimes I'll finger-comb and leave it to dry and it gets ropey. I find that I need to either put it up or be constantly touching it as it dries (which I tend to do whenever I've got my hair down, as it gets in the way).

Tangles
May 18th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Sought after? Maybe if youre a wurly, but on 2A hair it makes it look like I haven't washed my hair in 10 days, it makes my hair look sparse and lifeless. Dry brushing makes me frizzy though. I guess I will be sticking to damp braiding and bunning while my hair is restored to health...

joyful373
May 18th, 2008, 06:02 PM
My hair does this too. I had to stop and think about "why" and "when" it does this... I came up with the following:

1) Too heavy conditioner - my hair only occasionally likes CO, and if the conditioner is too heavy or isn't rinsed out TOTALLY my hair flips into spirals (that sometimes want to lock themselves together)

2) If I don't comb out completely before bunning it does it..

3) Combing out the ends slowly with a little bit of detangler, or a light conditioner as a leave in usually does the trick.

...I also am currently using cone free products, so I wonder if the slip added by cones would keep the attack of the spirals from happening. I know what you mean about "not sought after." My hair is so fine that it looks piece-y and unkept if this happens. If my thickness was more I'd be okay with it.
HTH...Joyful