PDA

View Full Version : Not sure my natural colour suits me?..

Harriet
August 2nd, 2010, 03:03 PM
.... or at least not as much as the colour i've dyed it!
I've always been happy with my naturally red hair, but have experimented with semi permanent dyes just for a change really (And to help stop any boredom hair cuts). I recently dyed my hair a dark red and was shocked by peoples reaction to it. They all really love it and say they think it suits me more than my natural colour.
I can't decide how I feel about it, on one hand i'm pleased because people think my hair looks nice, but on the other it makes me think they didn't like it before?

I like my hair both ways, so my dilemma is do I keep up the dye because it apparently makes me look better or let it fade out and enjoy the colour I have naturally?

Help me please!!

Au naturel:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5903&pictureid=78210

with the dye:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs118.ash2/39220_10150243278890374_755375373_13916365_8070261 _n.jpg
An older pic, different shade:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5903&pictureid=78209

MsBubbles
August 2nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
I think you are simply stunning in your natural hair color.

ravenreed
August 2nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
Regardless of what other people think, what do you like best? Go with that.

LouLaLa
August 2nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Your opinion is of course the most important.

That said your natural colour is STUNNING, it makes your skin luminous and its just perfect. If I were you Id go natural, people would kill for hair that lovely.

Go with your heart,you only live once so make sure its what you want.

Harriet
August 2nd, 2010, 03:22 PM
thanks guys:)

I don't really have a preference, I do like how when its darker my eyes stand out more. But i'm not sure that that makes the damage worth it.

spidermom
August 2nd, 2010, 03:24 PM
I'd keep doing what you're doing - using a semipermanent (deposit-only) from time to time just to switch things up, but don't permanently alter your own gorgeous natural color.

Vampire
August 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
I think you look great in both :)

ravenreed
August 2nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
I used regular dyes for years. I switched to demi-permanent over a year ago and I have not noticed any damage from them. Overall, my hair is pretty happy. However, I seem to have sturdy hair.

thanks guys:)

I don't really have a preference, I do like how when its darker my eyes stand out more. But i'm not sure that that makes the damage worth it.

Harriet
August 2nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
I used regular dyes for years. I switched to demi-permanent over a year ago and I have not noticed any damage from them. Overall, my hair is pretty happy. However, I seem to have sturdy hair.

My hair does seem softer and shinier now its dyed. And also my split ends stand out much better on dark hair so they're much easier to find and remove!

HairColoredHair
August 2nd, 2010, 03:52 PM
I love your natural color (and yes, it suits you perfectly).

Of the dyed colors I prefer the second one... seems to suit you better (not as harsh).

invisiblebabe
August 2nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
I love your natural color! It is my favorite on you, easily!

(And as someone who dislikes her own natural hair color, I'm not just saying that because I think that all people should stick with what they naturally have! haha)

ademtce
August 2nd, 2010, 04:24 PM
your natural color is awesome!

Yozhik
August 2nd, 2010, 04:31 PM
I like your natural hair color the best! I bet people are saying they like the darker red hair because it's a change and it contrasts more with your skin and eyes. That said, I still stick to saying that your natural color is stunning!

ETA: I also like your older color (third photo) better than the middle one (but the first photo is still my favorite!)

Whatever you decide, your hair really is gorgeous either way :flower:

HairFaerie
August 2nd, 2010, 04:33 PM
I think you natural hair color suits your skin complexion perfectly!
As some who loves dying their hair, I have faced the unfortunate truth that what we were born with really does suit us the best. To me, I have mousy brown hair naturally and I don't like it because I think it is very boring. Your natural hair color is not boring at all! In fact, a lot of people dye theirs to get a color like that.
Alas, we always want what we don't have!
Like a few people already said, go with what makes you feel good inside!

Luckysock
August 2nd, 2010, 04:38 PM
I have to say I like them both! I would go with the natural colour to get the natural highlights and cause its a great colour! plus its less work for you. But really, go with what you like, cause they both look great!

ravenreed
August 2nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
I see plenty of people who look better in something than their natural color. In fact, most of the time I compliment someone on their hair color, it turns out to be enhanced in some way.

I think you natural hair color suits your skin complexion perfectly!
As some who loves dying their hair, I have faced the unfortunate truth that what we were born with really does suit us the best. To me, I have mousy brown hair naturally and I don't like it because I think it is very boring. Your natural hair color is not boring at all! In fact, a lot of people dye theirs to get a color like that.
Alas, we always want what we don't have!
Like a few people already said, go with what makes you feel good inside!

fair isle
August 2nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
I just adore your natural color! Although you look lovely with both :)

cindy58
August 2nd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Of course I love your natural color, you're a close color match to me! I like that you have color to your eyebrows, mine are so blond they do a disappearing act.

You're a very pretty girl.

lapushka
August 2nd, 2010, 05:55 PM
I love your natural color!

Blueglass
August 2nd, 2010, 06:15 PM
Your natural color is by far the best. I really don't know why you'd want anything else.

missfortune9335
August 2nd, 2010, 06:19 PM
are you joking?? Your natural color is AMAZING! You look great with it, IMHO

ghost
August 2nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
Go with what you like best. If you're nervous about the long-term effects of dyeing your hair but don't particularly want to use henna, just keep sticking with the semi-permanent dye. I used semi-permanents for years with no ill effects until I switched to permanent dye.
Veggie dyes like Manic Panic and SFX have some great dark reds as well, and you can use them on your natural hair without bleaching first. They give lowlights on dark hair, and on lighter hair, the color is close to what's in the bottle. I imagine they would go over naturally red hair just fine.

UltraBella
August 2nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
I would give anything to have your natural color !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO JEALOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deborah
August 2nd, 2010, 09:39 PM
Oh my, your natural color is much prettier, and brings out a glow in your face.

GlassEyes
August 2nd, 2010, 09:41 PM
To answer your question: yes, your natural color suits you. Quite well, actually.

However, what you do with it is your choice. How do you feel you look best? That's the color you should go with.

christine1989
August 2nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
I happen to think that almost everyone's natural color suits them and yours is cretanly no exception. I love your natural color! The darker shade is nice too though and great against your skin tone.

triumphator!
August 2nd, 2010, 10:13 PM
To be honest, youre gorgeous in both versions. The lighter color looks like you're fresh and springy, and the darker color looks like a flattering winter color.

evampr18
August 2nd, 2010, 11:22 PM
This is an easy one.. Natural by far looks best, your still gorgeous, but IMO natural.

teela1978
August 2nd, 2010, 11:23 PM
I like your natural color best. I tend to like everyone's natural color best though, even in the "look how horrible my natural color looks" pictures :shrug:

rapunzhell13
August 3rd, 2010, 01:01 AM
To be honest, youre gorgeous in both versions. The lighter color looks like you're fresh and springy, and the darker color looks like a flattering winter color.

This. Using the occasional semi won't do horrific damage, so go ahead and enjoy both. :)

Phexlyn
August 3rd, 2010, 01:49 AM
Your natural colour is gorgeous :crush:, and it really compliments your skin tone. In the second pic, I like the colour, but I think it leaves you a bit on the pale side (skintone-wise). The third pic is pretty as well, but you probably won't be able to pass off that shade of colour as natural anymore.

What do you feel best in? That's the way you should go.
And I don't think people didn't like your colour before, it's more likely they just like that it's something different (much in the way that often people seem to like longhairs getting a short cut... just because it's something new) :)

Barniie
August 3rd, 2010, 02:03 AM
mine doesen't - brown under with yellow on top = ugly hair which makes my face look pink and people CONSTANTLY telling me to get my roots done - aahghhggh!!!!

julliams
August 3rd, 2010, 02:04 AM
I vote natural. It really does look beautiful with your skintone.

kristymarie87
August 3rd, 2010, 02:55 AM
I love your hair in the last picture! It suits your skin tone and looks really healthy! I do like your natural colour but the darker colour gives your look an edge :D

Harriet
August 3rd, 2010, 03:27 AM
goodness, thank you all for your lovely comments! It's nice to know there are people out there who apreciate red hair :)
I think the general consensus seems to be that my natural colour looks best.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can bring out the red tones in my hair a bit more? The red in my natural hair has faded quite a lot. I tried some henna on some hair balls (different strengths in a gloss and just straight henna) and it just turned the hair luminous orange (and didn't oxidise much darker either) so I don't think thats the way to go.

maria_asa
August 3rd, 2010, 03:29 AM
One more vote for your natural colour. Although you look stunning in the other colours as well I think they do give you the "dyed hair look" and I much prefer natural shades.

pepperminttea
August 3rd, 2010, 06:03 AM
I love your natural colour, but go with what you're most comfortable with. You're the one who lives with it, after all. :)

Pumpkin
August 3rd, 2010, 06:09 AM
I love your natural color...suits you very well. :)

MonaMayfair
August 3rd, 2010, 06:41 AM
I wish I had your natural colour! But I know what you mean, as I'm a blonde who dyes her hair red!
You look totally gorgeous with both the lighter and darker colours though!

Phexlyn
August 3rd, 2010, 07:00 AM
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can bring out the red tones in my hair a bit more? The red in my natural hair has faded quite a lot. I tried some henna on some hair balls (different strengths in a gloss and just straight henna) and it just turned the hair luminous orange (and didn't oxidise much darker either) so I don't think thats the way to go.
I suggest you have a look at the henna articles. If pure henna doesn't achieve the colour you want, you may want to mix it to make the colour either more reddish blonde or more auburn. Henna and Cassia for example can give you a lovely strawberry blonde, maybe that's enough to bring out the red tones in your hair.

ravenreed
August 3rd, 2010, 08:53 AM
I think that you have to realize many people on LHC are biased towards natural hair color, regardless of how it looks. What do YOU think looks best?

goodness, thank you all for your lovely comments! It's nice to know there are people out there who apreciate red hair :)
I think the general consensus seems to be that my natural colour looks best.

Joliebaby
August 3rd, 2010, 11:59 AM
I'd keep doing what you're doing - using a semipermanent (deposit-only) from time to time just to switch things up, but don't permanently alter your own gorgeous natural color.

Isn't semipermanent the kind that is supposed to last 28 washes or something like that? They have always been kinda permanent on me. I heard that if you use them more than once they in fact start to act like permanent dye. There is peroxide in them so they are not just direct dyes, but work by oxidating as well. Returning to one's 100% natural color is not possible :(

And I LOVE the natural red color!!! It looks gorgeous and if that was my hair I would so not dye it anymore.
I think it's so fresh to see natural long hair, as almost everyone dyes their hair these days. I'm growing out my own color :D

Harriet
August 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
Isn't semipermanent the kind that is supposed to last 28 washes or something like that? They have always been kinda permanent on me. I heard that if you use them more than once they in fact start to act like permanent dye. There is peroxide in them so they are not just direct dyes, but work by oxidating as well. Returning to one's 100% natural color is not possible :(

And I LOVE the natural red color!!! It looks gorgeous and if that was my hair I would so not dye it anymore.
I think it's so fresh to see natural long hair, as almost everyone dyes their hair these days. I'm growing out my own color :D

I've used these dyes in the past and it has faded back to my natural colour, although I've never really dyed consistently usually only once or twice and then gone back natural. Hopefully I should be able to get it back almost exactly the same!

sakuraemily
August 4th, 2010, 09:49 AM
stick with your natural colour i'll say.
the dye will cause a lot of damage. you might end up wishing you'd stuck with your natural colour.

Sarahmoon
August 4th, 2010, 12:14 PM
It all looks good on you. I think most people have a natural colour that suits them, actually, but if they like it themselves is another thing ;)

Harriet
August 5th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Well after all the comments I got on this thread, and looking at pictures of my old hair I started longing for my natural colour back! I couldn't wait any longer for it to fade and my roots were already getting on my nerves so I used colour b4 (a bit like color oops I believe) and told DB not to let my dye my hair again!!
Here's what it looks like now:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5903&pictureid=78667

I'm really pleased with how its turned out! Its still a bit darker than my natural colour but I'm pleased all the same.

Joliebaby
August 5th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Oh that looks GORGEOUS! Looks like you got no damage at all. (I used colorfix recently and it worked great too..)
You have really beautiful hair.

Harriet
August 5th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Thank you Joliebaby! I was a bit apprehensive about it getting damaged, but I did a strand test which convinced me it would be OK! I used to heat style everyday but have only done so maybe 2 or 3 times since christmas so I decided the damage probably wouldn't make my hair any worse than it was back in my heat styling days!

I wish that was my natural curl pattern, I slept with it in a sock bun and got those curls! They've dropped out now though :(

julliams
August 5th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I love that. How did you do the sock bun?

FrannyG
August 5th, 2010, 06:20 AM
It looks gorgeous! :blossom:

Capybara
August 5th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Your natural colour is beautiful :) You remind me of Kirsten Dunst! Go with whatever colour *you* like best.

emsahib
August 5th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I think you're natural colour's beautiful and really suits your complexion and I think the lighter of the dyes looks better also. But its up to you what you think. I've dyed my hair a lot in the past and trying to have the patients to grow out the dye i've got left and stick with my natural colour for a while but it's difficult not to sometimes feel bored with it. Semi permanent is proably a good idea.

ifyouforget
August 5th, 2010, 09:11 AM
One more vote for natural. What a gorgeous color.

Harriet
August 5th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I love that. How did you do the sock bun?

It was a fully rolled sock bun (I learnt from loepsies video) on damp hair, on the top of my head.