PDA

View Full Version : Crazy volume at the ends?

mali
August 2nd, 2010, 09:16 AM
:)Hi!My hair has medium thickness and it is just a little bit above my shoulder and I'm 1a or 2a depending if I brush or not.Why do I get so much crazy volume at the tips even if I don't brush? EDIT: And also,how can I brush or comb my wavy hair so that it won't get ''THE POOF''(haha)?

Cinnamoon
August 2nd, 2010, 09:58 AM
My hair does that too... Yours might be because of dryness and frizz, so maybe try a moisture treatment or oiling? For me, it's a combination of dryness/frizz and the fact that my underlayer is wavier than my top layer, so the waves sort of push it up. However, when it's longer, I don't really get that - I think that the weight of the hair pulls the ends down.

*Aoife*
August 2nd, 2010, 10:39 AM
You're brushing your waves out. When you brush them out they turn into odd volume. Look at GRU's album for an extreme example of curls brushed out. I know you have waves but they're worth a look.

Try not brushing your hair and see if you can accept your waves. There is a large wavy thread which is worth a look.

mali
August 2nd, 2010, 11:24 AM
You're brushing your waves out. When you brush them out they turn into odd volume. Look at GRU's album for an extreme example of curls brushed out. I know you have waves but they're worth a look.

Try not brushing your hair and see if you can accept your waves. There is a large wavy thread which is worth a look.

Thanks Aoife! I think you're right.I'll try doing what you suggested and I'll try Cinnamoon's suggestion too.:)

Sisko
August 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Wavy hair tends to do this (not just curly). The best permanent "fix" I've found is a deep U hemline.

Yozhik
August 2nd, 2010, 12:06 PM
Sometimes my hair gets that way too -- the triangle head :nono:
The answer for me is definitely more oiling and moisture at the ends! I put a heavy conditioner in and let it sit in my hair during my shower, and then after I rinse it out, I add coconut oil as a leave in. Hope that helps!

HairColoredHair
August 2nd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Even if you don't brush you may be combing or handling your hair enough to disrupt your wave/curl while it's drying. Maybe try combing in the shower (while coated in conditioner, of course) and then not handling your hair at all once you get out of the shower? Maybe you're more wavy than you thought.

Another thought is buildup. I don't see it with bottled poos/condish, but when I used shampoo bars, soap buildup made my hair flyaway and staticky, which could be fixed with a vinegar rinse before I left the shower. :)

ghost
August 2nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
My hair does this, too. It's pretty wavy, and while I don't brush it often (unless I'm brushing coconut oil into the ends with a BBB to MAKE them calm down), my ends like to do that crazy, flyaway poofy thing. I don't know if it's just the fact that my hair is wavy, or that the ends of my hair have been dyed (even though the last time I dyed them was in October 2009), but extra moisture on the ends seems to help a little bit. If it really starts to annoy me, I put my hair up in a bun so I don't have to deal with it.

Tabihito
August 2nd, 2010, 01:35 PM
It's a wavy thing. The volume is a bit of an illusion, it's just that you have hair going in a few different directions at once at the ends, so it looks insanely poofy.

Basically, messing with curls and waves period can be bad. If I mess with it, or comb it even directly after getting out of the shower, I get a frizzy mess of 2b waves. If I can manage to control the urge to touch my hair at all, I get nice spirals, close to 3a, and reduced frizz. Just goes to show how sometimes, a little thing can make a big difference.

That being said, if you're using some product to define your waves or however you feel like saying it, by all means touch your hair. But then get the product in and don't touch it again. Wavy hair can be a massive pain in the rear, but you'll figure out something that works for you eventually.

Also, when it comes to the ends, they always need more moisture than the rest of your hair. Coconut oil works wonders for some, but it's not for everyone, you just sort of have to experiment with different ways of getting moisture in there until something just clicks with your hair. Layers, too, can be beneficial so long as you don't go overboard, since it'll take some of the thickness away from the hem. From what I've seen, blunt cuts probably don't work too well for wavies or curlies until at least waist length, and even a U-shaped hem might not be able to help if you have a lot of thickness to begin with.

klcqtee
August 2nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Simple: don't comb or brush your hair.

I only comb it before putting it up, or before hopping in the shower, otherwise I get crazy poof and triangle head.

Jenn of Pence
August 2nd, 2010, 08:55 PM
I do possess a fair bit of body wave, so occasionally my ends flip out, too, but I try to keep my ends moisturized and I can pretty much smooth them down when drying, fortunately. This can be exacerbated by buildup, too, so an occasional wash with mild shampoo helps.

my2cats1
August 2nd, 2010, 09:35 PM
It also might be the length you are at right now.....above sholders can be a challenging stage, as it can create "triangle head" in even slightly wavy or slightly thick hair. Hang in there, and as it grows, you'll like it more.

Hotrox
August 3rd, 2010, 12:46 AM
It also might be the length you are at right now.....above sholders can be a challenging stage, as it can create "triangle head" in even slightly wavy or slightly thick hair. Hang in there, and as it grows, you'll like it more.

This is very true, I am currently a triangle head and probably will be for another 3-6 months.

Also, the don't comb/brush thing is crucial. I only comb with a wide tooth comb in the shower, gently towel dry and smooth on and then finger rake through my product on my ends and canopy. Then DON'T TOUCH again!!

My hair is not perfect, but since using this method it is so much improved.

Anje
August 3rd, 2010, 11:33 AM
As others have said, it's likely a case of triangle head, especially at your length.

The other major possibility is that you've got dryness and damage at the ends, which can make them puff out for the last few inches. Unless you're growing out from lots of heat and highlighting, though, I suspect that this possibility is less likely at shoulder length that it would be around BSL, for example.

In addition to limiting brushing once your hair is dry to leave your waves more intact, you might want to try leaving in a little conditioner or putting a little oil on your ends. This should help them be more moisturized and protected, which can help solve any dryness-related poofiness, and it will help the hair lie in calm clumps instead of a frizzy mass.

ludwig20
August 2nd, 2013, 11:45 AM
I came across this thread because I recently cut my hair and am now suffering from this "triangle" hair syndrome. I've tried oiling the length, particularly the ends to smooth them down. However, my hair still ends up getting bushy and poofs out. I'm starting to think my underlayers are responsible -- since they're more wavy than my canopy. Any suggestions? I don't think layers would help much...

Leeloo
August 2nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
I got the same thing, but I’ve been just letting mine be cause I put it in updos all the time anyway, but I’m curious if someone has a solution.

Tangle or Curl?
August 2nd, 2013, 12:22 PM
Light layering and only combing wet works for us curlies. I'm not sure about wavy hair though. Also you could make sure your ends are not dry.

ludwig20
August 2nd, 2013, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure what to use on my ends. I washed my hair today and applied a leave-in conditioner on my length (while still damp). My hair is still not 'smooth' enough. :( lol it's still pretty wide.

sarahthegemini
August 2nd, 2013, 05:21 PM
I had this 'triangle head' thing after my hair was trimmed to SL. I hated it but now that it's grown a little, no more triangle head :p